View Poll Results: Should the New He-Man film have ANY connection to Earth?

Voters
335. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

48 14.33%
  • No.

245 73.13%
  • Maybe, on the fence...

31 9.25%
  • Don't really mind either way.

11 3.28%
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Should the New He-Man film have ANY Connection to Earth?

Quote Originally Posted by Flor2099 View Post
    What! I was just responding to the fact that we can't have King Grayskull instead of He-Man because story-wise he is dead. I happen to love King Grayskull!
    If this is in reply to my post, sorry bout the mistake, I don't think I meant to quote you. (thus removed quote.)
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

The Last House on the Left, Las Vegas, Nevada
    ...I'm with Baena & Diva here, naturally... Tell me what the difference is between using King Greyskull as He-man's ancestor, & He-Ro?! Hmmm... Oh, right, there ISN'T one! Except that the MYP/King Greyskull origin actually EXPLAINS the reason for He-Man's strength, the sword, ect. It's BETTER than, "oh, let's randomly turn this pink & violet-wearing fop into a tanned, super-strong version of himself THAT LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME FEATURE-WISE...

You know, I could almost go for the idea of Marlena originally being from Etheria. Maybe she could even be a reluctant space explorer for The Horde.

I think it would be kind of neat if they tweaked the story so that Marlena and Randor had a secret forbidden love kind of thing going on between them (i.e. it's not allowed for an Eternian King to marry/have a relationship with a non-Eternian or something along those lines), to where the two of them had to meet at some interplanetary 'half-way' point to see each other...

Marlena gets pregnant and decides to flee to Eternia, but her and Randor agree her roots must never be revealed. Basically she she has to pretend that she's Eternian. (maybe only a select few would know the truth) ...

But before she escapes, Shadow Weaver learns of their plans and her magic reveals unknown trouble for The Horde if Marlena leaves the planet. Hordak arrives too late but is able to, in MYP-like fashion (as a nod to the series), go through Marlena; accidentally pulling an unborn twin instead of grabbing her entire life-force.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    You know, I could almost go for the idea of Marlena originally being from Etheria. Maybe she could even be a reluctant space explorer for The Horde.

I think it would be kind of neat if they tweaked the story so that Marlena and Randor had a secret forbidden love kind of thing going on between them (i.e. it's not allowed for an Eternian King to marry/have a relationship with a non-Eternian or something along those lines), to where the two of them had to meet at some interplanetary 'half-way' point to see each other...

Marlena gets pregnant and decides to flee to Eternia, but her and Randor agree her roots must never be revealed. Basically she she has to pretend that she's Eternian. (maybe only a select few would know the truth) ...

But before she escapes, Shadow Weaver learns of their plans and her magic reveals unknown trouble for The Horde if Marlena leaves the planet. Hordak arrives too late but is able to, in MYP-like fashion (as a nod to the series), go through Marlena; accidentally pulling an unborn twin instead of grabbing her entire life-force.
    Look at you!!!
    Throwin' a big ol' wrench in the works!!!
    You're just trying to stir it all up all the more aren't you!?

Cool idea btw.
    A very BIG "What if" to be sure.

While we're at it, I'm surprised I've not mentioned it yet...

The Green Goddess had better be in the movie!!!
    (Just salivating at the mere thought of a live action Green Goddess... WAOW!)
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    Dont be apunk. I'll have to beat you.
    umm.... I'm a punk too

Actually, I really like the idea of Marlena being from Etheria. We might even be able to tweak that a little to have it involve Keldor.

So maybe Keldor, who was always kind of a ****, is working for Hordak and meets Marlena. He brings her back to Eternia with him, where she falls in love with his brother Randor and leaves Keldor, which is when Keldor goes from being generally bad to outright loathing Randor and wanting him taken down.

As for the terrible Earth connection, I don't like the idea of trying to work it in through Skeletor being xenophobic. The only justification for the Earth connection is that it is canon, but the only way to work it into the story to create some backstory that isn't canon at all? I don't care too much about the story following filmation canon, but you should at least be consistent. Besides, the one fault that Skeletor doesn't appear to have is Xenophobia. In the past he sided with an alien (Hordak) and now all of his henchman are completely different from each other. Totally different backgrounds, shapes, sizes, races, species, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Look at you!!!
    Throwin' a big ol' wrench in the works!!!
    You're just trying to stir it all up all the more aren't you!?

Cool idea btw.
    Maybe. And thanks.

With the story spun that way, I figure it would also explain why nobody knows about Adora. -- Marlena would have given birth to Adam and nobody would be the wiser about a second child. (Plus Marlena has to keep her mouth shut about where she's really from anyway) Hell, maybe even Randor and Marlena believe Adora to be dead (hence when it wouldn't be necessary to mention her to anyone), when in all actuality Hordak and Shadow Weaver kept her alive through Horde science and magic until she was old enough. The Sorceress could be the only one who knows that Adora is alive...the whole destiny thing.

Oh and I'd love to see the Green Goddess.

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    The Green Goddess had better be in the movie!!!
    I'd love to see the Green Goddess.

One Green Goddess, coming up!

Green Goddess Salad Dressing

INGREDIENTS

2 cups mayonnaise
    4 anchovy fillets, minced
    1 green onion, chopped
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
    2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
    1 tablespoon tarragon vinegar
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon

DIRECTIONS

1. Mix together mayonnaise, anchovy, green onion, parsley, chives, vinegar and tarragon.

2. Refrigerate until ready to serve and pour over favorite salad or greens.

3. If you want a veggie Goddess, feel free to leave out the anchovies.

(I'm a chef ... what do you expect? )
    Last edited by Mirage; July 13, 2007 at 08:15pm.

Co-Creator of the NV
    This is kind of off-topic, but is there something that can be used in place of parsley?

I do not really care if Earth is mentioned, or even shown in a flashback or something, but it should not be in any major parts, or for any length of time.

They need to stay on Eternia, where the sky is the limit with special effects, surrounding, characters, beasts etc.....

Living in Laker Village Uncle Dorko's Avatar
    I say: Marlena can be from Earth, but we don't need to see any of her mission. A NASA jacket in her closet, Randor making refernce to it being "20 years since my beautiful wife came to us from the stars", etc. It'll be at most a two hour movie, so devoting time to Marlena's mission and Earth connection without it ending up a plot point somewhere down the line would be pointless and forced.

Although, if they choose to start the movie with some form of Keldor's Insurection, I could kind of see Marlena being from Earth working. Imagine a kind of scene where Prince Randor and his battalion are taking a suspected Horde agent back to Eternos for trial. Now, the audience knows she's not a Horde agent since she is wearing a slightly battered NASA fligh suit. Duncan is babbling to Randor about some old prophecy about "an explorer from beyond the stars" and "vanquishing a great evil" but the prince is having none of it. They get to the gates of the city and find it under seige by Hordak's top lieutenant, Keldor. Cue epic fight scene in the throne room, parraleling the MYP opening. In the chaos, Marlena has a chance to escape. Instead, she picks up a fallen soldier's energy rifle and shoots Keldor's sword just as he's about to deliver a killing blow to Randor. Cue acid, Keldor's burning face and retreat. Jump ahead twenty years, royal function celebrating the pece that has existed since Keldor was vanquished. Continue on with Prince Adam's story from there.
    "Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge." - Dr. Richard Dawkins

Won't a prologue like that leave the audience to want more Marlena? The whole NASA/earth thing will create a lot of questions.

What do we want (or need) to see and what will fit in about 2 hours without creating a mess OR shallow story.
    Last edited by plasmapulse; July 14, 2007 at 01:23pm. Reason: added content
    --------
    Joachim

No earth links.
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

With the story spun that way, I figure it would also explain why nobody knows about Adora. -- Marlena would have given birth to Adam and nobody would be the wiser about a second child. Hell, maybe even Randor and Marlena believe Adora to be dead
    Yeah, that is a really cool idea,
    the only thing is, how would Randor and Marlena know they were supposed to have twins, if they weren't born yet?

To explain it,you would have to take a few minutes out of the movie to explain Eternian ultrasounds, and it would really seem like an out-of-place flash sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by pain View Post
    Yeah, that is a really cool idea,
    the only thing is, how would Randor and Marlena know they were supposed to have twins, if they weren't born yet?

To explain it,you would have to take a few minutes out of the movie to explain Eternian ultrasounds, and it would really seem like an out-of-place flash sideways.
    I have an easy solution for this:

Since Etheria is supposed to be a magical place, they could have it where Marlena learns about the twins through a trusted mystic / gypsy fortune teller.

I have an easy solution for this:

Since Etheria is supposed to be a magical place, they could have it where Marlena learns about the twins through a trusted mystic / gypsy fortune teller.
    or we can have that robot nurse from Star Wars with an ice cream scoop for a hand to tell her. "OOBAH"

Ooooobahh...

I love that!

It has to be out there... is there any video clips of some star wars nerd with his wife while she's in labor, and he's trying to calm her by saying Oooobahh!
    Oooo bahhhh!!!!

Random thought, funny moment... Let's move along, move along!

The movie should start on earth, with Marlena's mission, she gets lost and warped to eternia, we see this...then 20 years go by....thats the only way id like to see her/earth involved...

Heroic Warrior
    They could end that scene with the sound of 2 babies crying....cut to Prince Adam in combat training.
    And maybe in a sequal, the first few mins of the movie can show the two babies, and Hordak kidnapping Adora.

If the MOTU movies were a trilogy, the third movie could start with Maybe Skeletor being banished by Hordak to Eternia (or did that happen BEFORE Adora being kidnapped?) and a young girl training on another world.

At the end of the third movie, they could show the Sorceress dreaming about the kidnapping...she wakes up suddenly from the nightmare, the Sword of Protection floating near her, glowing.

She closes her eyes and contacts Adam "Adam...come to Grayskull, immediatly. " Last part of the scene, she looks at the still-glowing Sword of Protection and says quietly "..It's time .."

Scene fades to black as you hear Adora's voice from the cartoon intro. "For the honor...of Grayskull!" (or maybe that part can be left out)

Co-Creator of the NV
    I don't think they should show or mention Adora at all unless it is a given that there is going to be a She-Ra spin-off. If they do all these teasers in the movies, like hearing 2 babies crying and seeing a young girl train, regular movie goers are going to wonder what the hell is happening and why they're showing such pointless stuff.

That's why I think what I suggested earlier would make sense. You do a shot of baby Adam, with maybe some sort of narrative explaining "Born to Marlena and King Randor, ....", then cut to him training. However, that is just what we see in the movie. The full taping will start with Adam being focused on, then zoom out and show Adam and Adora. However, the full, unedited cut of it will not be shown in the movie. It will only be used for a sequel that sets up She-Ra. Mind you, it could be in the extra features of the DVD. This way casual moviegoers won't wonder what the hell is going on.

I'm seriously getting chills here with all this talk of She-Ra! -- Like we could really see a live-action of her one day.

How do you think Swift Wind will be handled? Would it look too fakey if they had She-Ra flying around on a pegasus? Think they could do it justice or are they better off giving her a wingless unicorn?

I'm seriously getting chills here with all this talk of She-Ra! -- Like we could really see a live-action of her one day.
    If they actually do a Masters of the Universe trilogy, She-Ra sure as heck better be featured prominently in at least one of the movies. I think it would be downright criminal to do a MotU trilogy with out any She-Ra in it.

If they only do one MotU movie, though... it's a toss-up whether or not she's in it.

How do you think Swift Wind will be handled? Would it look too fakey if they had She-Ra flying around on a pegasus?
    Heck no. Valkyries have been featured in at least a few live-action shows, including Xena. It didn't look fake to me when I saw it on the Xena show.

That being said, I think that Swift Wind's colour scheme might need to be changed a bit (I'm thinking that scarlet and navy would look better in live-action than Swift Wind's Filmation colour scheme), and whether or not Swift Wind gets to talk is in question.

Think they could do it justice or are they better off giving her a wingless unicorn?
    Actually, I think that Swift Wind would be easier to do than Battle Cat. If the actress playing She-Ra has some basic equestrian skills, you could use an actual horse to be Swift Wind, and hence not need that much CGI. OTOH, I can't imagine many guys being willing to actually ride around on a large lion or tiger, though.
    "I'm not just crying for Hordak. I'm crying for the saddest thing I know - a wasted life. To be given that most precious gift - the gift of living, to do with as we choose. I'm crying, because this man has chosen to throw it away, and when he goes, nobody will care..." - She-Ra ( "My Friend, My Enemy")

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian_He-Man View Post
    If they actually do a Masters of the Universe trilogy, She-Ra sure as heck better be featured prominently in at least one of the movies. I think it would be downright criminal to do a MotU trilogy with out any She-Ra in it.

:
    if done She-ra should only be in the last one of a trilogy or the fourth flick (hey I believe this could be a HUGE franchise) and have a small but important role...kind of like using the movie to give people a taste of her and what she's doing so she can spring board into her own thing.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    f they do all these teasers in the movies, like hearing 2 babies crying and seeing a young girl train, regular movie goers are going to wonder what the hell is happening and why they're showing such pointless stuff.
    They need to place some little hints within the movie, IMO. That is the stuff that fans eat up and then people who end up loving the movie start to analyze the movie and question why certain things were done/said/alluded to.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    They need to place some little hints within the movie, IMO. That is the stuff that fans eat up and then people who end up loving the movie start to analyze the movie and question why certain things were done/said/alluded to.
    I COMPLETELY agree. it can be stuff that can go generally unnoticed if you aren't even looking for it. Like in back to the future the name change of the mall and several other little things that make it more fun to watch upon multiple viewings and even more fun when future movies give those hints meanings.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

please no .
    just like a kind of lord of the rings