View Poll Results: Should the New He-Man film have ANY connection to Earth?

Voters
335. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

48 14.33%
  • No.

245 73.13%
  • Maybe, on the fence...

31 9.25%
  • Don't really mind either way.

11 3.28%
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Should the New He-Man film have ANY Connection to Earth?

Quote Originally Posted by Onekorn View Post
    Good point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    And the other point is, the property is called Masters of The Universe, so including other planets, dimensions, galaxies other than Eternia is a must.
    That depends on the definition of universe you choose...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universe
    Johan Eggink aka Eterniandreams

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I'd be all for it starting out on Earth with Marlena, with her in a futuristic space program.
    Then it quickly puts her into a mission and gets her lost on Eternia.

I dunno. I just think for a movie like that, some sort of earth connection would be good.
    And that's a connection that's not excessive.
    It just serves as a gateway into the movie, and helps anchor us around a character to introduce us to others.

Sure, Marlena being a focus wouldn't be great.
    But it could work if they do it right, and never make Marlena our primary focus to start with.

I'm just free-thinking out loud at this point...
    I agree 100%! I think it can be used as a gate way into the movie and if Marlana is identified later in the film as the queen it would only serve to make Adam more intresting, considering he would be half human half eternian. This could make for a good bone of contention with Skeletor that the future king is of mixed blood and impure.....or something like that.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Dorko View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that Marlena was a filmation original. Actually, the only time that MOTU failed to catch on was when Marlena WASN'T from Earth. There's no causation there, but it is fun to note.

Actually, It might've been DC Comics that have done that. In DC Comics Presents #42, featured Superman meeting He-Man, and He-Man mentioned hearing about Superman from his mother. I have the issue, but it's been awhile since I read it.

I think the Marlena-Earth connection should stay. Maybe in the possible sequel or third movie have Earth. But unless Skeletor is actively planning to take over Earth, it shouldn't be mentioned much.

How about:
    1st movie -Eternia
    2nd -Etheria - Darker, because the Horde have actually won the planet?
    3rd- He-Man and She-Ra must save Earth (and the rest of the universe.) highest stakes much like in Return of the Jedi, an all or nothing battle for everything, but without the Ewoks or Widgets saving the day. Maybe a Skeletor-Hordak (and Monteeg and Horde Prime?) team-up in the third?
    Last edited by funkytbone; December 3, 2008 at 02:21am.

I vote NO.
    That connection to Earth is what I hate from the old movie.
    ¡Ya tengo el PODER!

Heroic Warrior orionpaximusprime's Avatar
    I like the Marlena connection because I think it's cool to imagine that the reason Adam can wield the power sword and become he-man is because he is half from earth and have eternian.
    By the powet of thundara, Transform and kill cobra... or something.

Well, now that the new film seems to be "officially green-lit," I wonder if Stevenson/Marks will end up using or cutting the "Marlena-Earth" connection.
    hmmmmmm....
    – No comment.

As long as it's kept to a passing comment about Marlena being from Earth, I'm fine with it.
    You may have defeated us, but you'll never see this child again!

Eternian Historian of Art Lex_Alfa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Omega View Post
    No. No Earth.

Marlena is too minor of a character to get into her back story.

Just let Eternia stand on it's own for this film.

LOTR didn't need an Earth tie-in.

Dr. Ω
    I completely agree

Quote Originally Posted by Lex_Alfa View Post
    I completely agree
    Absolutely, PLEASE DEAR LORD FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, Do not involve Earth at all!

earth should never be mentioned on eternia.
    the whole he-man being half earthling and that makeing him special is just IMO bad.
    he is chosen for one of 2 reasons:
    good moral character and inner need to defend and proptect those who cant protect them selves.
    or he is descendent of King Grayskull and channels his powers.
    please for love of all things MOTU slap the person in the meeting who even mentions , "hey should we go to earth?"
    Eternian Beastmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Leoghan View Post
    ...please for love of all things MOTU slap the person in the meeting who even mentions , "hey should we go to earth?"
    Hey, I'd slap 'em too! But only because, I still think Marlena should be from Earth, however, one foot need not ever be stepped upon Earth, rather a simple "wink" or "hint" to her Earth-origin is all I'm asking for, something like her mentioning something about how her home planet where the name "Earth" may not even be said explicitly, but rather implicitly.
    – No comment.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    One of the factors of Adam and Adora being destined to wield the Power of Grayskull is the unique heritage passed to them from Marlena.

In the classic continuity, this is Marlena being an Earthling. I would not mind sacrificing this if in a contemporary continuity, Marlena is a descendant of King Grayskull.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    I would not mind sacrificing this if in a contemporary continuity, Marlena is a descendant of King Grayskull.
    ...ok, then one of King Grayskull's ancestors could have an Earth-origin!
    – No comment.

Co-Creator of the NV
    The only Earth connection I will accept in this movie is that the movie be shown on Earth as I do not want to have to leave the planet to watch it.

Any mention of Earth in the movie, even if it is so much as them making a passing reference to Earth, will cause me to not watch it. However, I would be okay with a passing comment about Marlena's "new home" as I can always just tell myself she's from a different part of Eternia.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    However, I would be okay with a passing comment about Marlena's "new home" as I can always just tell myself she's from a different part of Eternia.
    I suppose I'd be ok with that too.

I really am curious what the writer/director does with this curious and controversial piece of MOTU lore.
    – No comment.

I voted no - but it wasn't like a big no I hate this idea ... it was a well, hey, look they went to Earth in the 1987 original ... for me, it worked, I loved the original ... but let's not do it again - let's have a new MOTU film adaptation on Eternia - where it theoretically should be, and see how they both compare ...

So I guess I'm kind of on the fence a little too ...
    ''He-Man lives and possesses that key, I must possess all or I possess nothing!'' (Skeletor, 1987)

USE YOUR ILLUSION

Heroic Nocturnal Warrior Sleeper's Avatar
    I like everything to have a connection to earth. Including every video game I play. I'm a little surprised at the lopsidedness of this poll. Strange. I always seem to go against the grain on these things.
    *~*~PITTSBURGH STEELERS~*~*
    *6 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS*
    1974, 1975, 1978, 1979, 2005, 2008

No thanks. I don't want any Earth in the movie. It should be like the early mini comics as far as possible with Randor and Marlena kept firmly in the background and He-Man being the main hero (rather than Adam). Eternia has enough of a rich history to stand on its own without the need to introduce Earth.
    Bikini Teela: Hottest version ever!!

Just curious how many here FULLY READ the FIRST POST before voting...

Should the New He-Man film have ANY Connection to Earth?

(Especially after seeing and loving Transformers...)
    Just curious since I agree with those who feel that the films that recognize Earth's existence increases the viewer's intimate connection to the film by adding that sense of realism, even when the rest of the story is quite unreal...

And BEFORE you decide, I don't necessarily mean the type of connection to Earth as was used in the first live-action film, the whole "Battle on Earth" idea which is definitely NOT what I want to see in a new He-Man film, rather I would like the connection to be that Marlena is in fact a young pilot from Earth that crash-lands on Eternia... Or possibly some other reboot connection to Earth like, but not necessarily, the one rumored about Adam being a pilot who crash-lands-on/comes-to Eternia to save it from the evil Skeletor and his technological(-or-not) army of mutants....

Personally I think they ought to try and stick with the original concept of having Marlena from Earth, but maybe just tweaking it slightly, like say she gets sucked through some time/warp portal that originates on Eternia but opens up on the other side somewhere on Earth just at the right moment, say as Marlena is piloting a test run for the u.s. air force when she suddenly vanishes into thin air, say in the midst of the Bermuda Triangle....?

Or maybe you have some different connection to Earth in mind, maybe one that is only hinted at in the film...?

Or maybe you adamantly oppose ANY type of connection to Earth...?

So what're your thoughts? Yes? ...No? ...Maybe? ...Don't mind either way?

Because sometimes I wonder...
    It would be interesting to do a poll asking how many here who voted BEFORE or AFTER or NEVER reading fully my first post.
    – No comment.

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    I think some sort of connection to Earth could be established, but don't have the movie take place on Earth.

You could have a character journey from Earth to Eternia and have them meet a character that could be the Virgil (navigator) for Eternia.

A movie doesn't have to take place on Earth to have people love it. Star Wars is of course an extreme example.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Marlena-Earth connection should definitely stay.
    Just this, no other connections.
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...

Heroic Warrior
    They should start the movie with Marlena landing on earth on a ship, then leave it at that. It wouldnt be a big deal and I think a good beginning to the movie.

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    I think it should be a small but pivotal factor. Marlena is from Earth and Adam (plus Adora come the sequel) being a child of two worlds is the descendant to receive the power.

There has to be something special about Adam otherwise why him, why now? Grayskull has had centuries of descendants and evil has plagued Eternia many times. What makes this time so special that only now the power is given?

Why did Miro not receive the power to stop Marzo? Why did Randor not receive the power to fight the Horde Invasion and prevent the kidnapping of Adora? Or to stop Keldor thus preventing the danger of Skeletor in the first place? What about the Great Unrest? Whatever the history is there were plenty of times when the power of Grayskull would have benefited Eternia so what was the holdup?

What makes Adam so special that only now is the heir of Grayskull being given the power?
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

Heroic Warrior
    Include earth just because of marlena? for what? how does that contribute to the story of motu?

I love the idea of starting with Marlena's arival on Eternia, but it's by no means integral to the movie. Any more explenation of Marlenas origin on top of that though, and it seems it would be taking too much time away from the movie, and there are no other appropriate connections that can be made with Earth.