View Poll Results: Should the New He-Man film have ANY connection to Earth?

Voters
335. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    48 14.33%
  • No.

    245 73.13%
  • Maybe, on the fence...

    31 9.25%
  • Don't really mind either way.

    11 3.28%
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 386

Thread: Should the New He-Man film have ANY Connection to Earth?

  1. #126
    Co-Creator of the NV
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,840
    Quote Originally Posted by MEK_A_NOSE View Post
    Lets look at all the recent comic book to movies, cartoon to movies, that were successful. If you don't count sequels, they all have origin stories. Hulk (its hard to say successful and that title in the same writing), Spiderman, Ghost Rider, batman, residence evil, doom. All contained some background to lead up to the acutally action. Most of them, started out with origins.

    Start of Marlena comes to Eternia from earth when she was going with the people to save the earth from the meteor from armagedon and they missed and she was the only survivor from that expedition and ended up on a strange planet. Randor, not yet king was fighting with Keldor and the whole melt the face away thing happens.

    Kornus and Keldor, now skeletor have a fight and trap jaw is born. That is a great 45 minutes of a movie there. 10 minutes marlena getting ready for her voyage and messes up. 45minutes into the movie adam is born. Adora as well if you wish. skeletor imprisons Randor and Marlena, Sorceress gives Adam the magic sword and tells him to say, "By the power of grey skull" becomes He-Man to rescue his parents in the last 15 minutes of the movie. Leaves people beging for a sequel. Don't over expose He-Man, if the LOTR followed Frodo the whole time, it would have sucked. If Batman only showed Batman the whole movie it would suck.

    Transformers made me happy when they only showed Megatron at a minimum. I want more!!

    See i think we all have our fan boy inside of us wanting things to go a specific way. However what about those who don't know about MOTU? Getting them interested is the key into having a full revival
    I agree that you should have an origin, but it needs to be one that isn't crappy. Adding the Earth part to it makes it suck and confuses the matter. I prefer not to give movie audiences any more reason to slam the movie than is absolutely necessary.

    It seems like a pretty good origin story could be lifted from the first MYP 3-parter.

    Incidentally, I would recommend not having Adora in it at all. If the origin stuff starts from before their birth, the camera can just show Adam and then in a later movie if they bring Adora in, they can explain why she wasn't seen then. It'll confuse the hell out of people if they see two babies and then it skips ahead a few years and all you see is Adam. I can just see the reaction now, "Man, first they have this totally asinine origin where the queen comes from Earth, and then Adam ate his sister!!!"

  2. #127
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,892
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    If we were to SETAs far as the average moviegoer is concerned, MOTU begins and ends with Filmation. To suddenly turn Marlena into this alien warrior princess would give the appearance of the writers pulling a plotline out of thier ***.
    This whole, if she's not from Earth then she's some strange alien princess stuff is a bit of a mute point IMO.

    We're on Eternia. Therefore, if she is from Earth, then she IS and Alien Warrior Princess to the Eternians!

    Right?

    Just sayin'!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  3. #128
    First Class, Unlimited Mirage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Asgard
    Posts
    4,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    This whole, if she's not from Earth then she's some strange alien princess stuff is a bit of a mute point IMO.

    We're on Eternia. Therefore, if she is from Earth, then she IS and Alien Warrior Princess to the Eternians!

    Right?


    My only complaint is that the whole alien warrior princess (from our perspective) has been done a million times before.


    How often have you seen an explorer from Earth become Queen of an alien planet? I'd hate to see such a unique and fascinating character as Queen Marlena reduced to window dressing.

  4. #129
    Heroic Warrior Eagledmasters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    223
    I'm definitely pro-Earth here.

    I want Marlena's story there, just like I want Cringer to talk, because that's how most people remember the story-line - to me, those kinds of changes kind of cheapened the new version. Just ignoring continuity, you know?

    However, there were many more strong changes that strengthened the new series, like Hordak controlling Skeletor, and also the involvement of the Elders, etc - those changes were a huge improvement, that kept my interest. Maybe because they are considered developments and not deletions from the old stories, too...
    I'm a musician, and if you'd please check out my music, I'd be so grateful. Like it on facebook here:
    www.facebook.com/peterdamoremusic

  5. #130
    Co-Creator of the NV
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,840
    I actually think that it might be a good idea to have Cringer to talk as well, based on the fact that that is what people remember. However, they don't remember Marlena being from Earth.

    One thing I definitely don't want in the movie that was in MYP was to have the floating skull head for skeletor and I definitely don't want to see a snakeman armor.

  6. #131
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,892
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    My only complaint is that the whole alien warrior princess (from our perspective) has been done a million times before.


    How often have you seen an explorer from Earth become Queen of an alien planet? I'd hate to see such a unique and fascinating character as Queen Marlena reduced to window dressing.
    My point exactly!
    It's been done too many times!

    So let Queen Marlena be a GREAT Mother to the Prince. It can be more powerful, more of a connection for the everyday folk that might come see this movie.
    (Well we all know I'd rather not even have the Prince, but we left that discussion long ago. )

    I don't think she needs to be from Earth to be a powerful character on Eternia.
    I don't think we need any blatant Earth references. Especially for the movie.
    That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it no matter what you say.
    Just like you will stick to your opinions no matter what I or anyone else says to you.
    That's great. We have AT LEAST two opinions that differ.

    I've said it before and I think it's time to say it here again.
    The director will do what he or she wants to do. Let's be open to it and try to enjoy the ride.
    If having Queen Marlena being from Earth is so crucial to your MotU, and the director doesn't agree with you, will it completely ruin the whole movie for you?
    For myself, same principal applies and I have to ask myself. If they DO make mention of Earth in the movie, will it ruin the whole experience for me?
    It will if I hold onto my opinions like flies on ****. But if I keep open minded about it all, I'll most likely have a much more enjoyable experience watching this new vision of MotU unfold before me.

    We've made a poll here in hopes that IF a movie is being made, then MAYBE the director and others in charge MIGHT come by and look at results. And what are those results?

    Hmmm, looks like MOST of the FANS don't want any connection to Earth, and if they read through the thread, that includes Marlena.

    You're defending your point well good sir, that truly is to be admired. But the masses just aren't agreeing with you here. And that's not the masses of the world that would see this movie, that's just the masses that frequent these boards and take the time to vote.
    And just because most of us don't agree with you on this issue, doesn't make you wrong or bad or evil. It just means you have your opinion, and you should be proud of who you are and how you defend that opinion.

    Friends?
    Last edited by Baena; July 10, 2007 at 03:09pm.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  7. #132
    Co-Creator of the NV
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,840
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    You're defending your point well good sir, that truly is to be admired. But the masses just aren't agreeing with you here. And that's not the masses of the world that would see this movie, that's just the masses that frequent these boards and take the time to vote.
    And just because most of us don't agree with you on this issue, doesn't make you wrong or bad or evil. It just means you have your opinion, and you should be proud of who you are and how you defend that opinion.

    Friends?

    GROUP HUG!!!

    *hugs everyone*

  8. #133
    Censored MEK_A_NOSE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    What day is it?
    Posts
    1,091
    The problem is not the fans. We fans will go and support this movie even if they Sacha Baren Cohen playing He-Man. The thing is we need to get a future generation to appreciate the MOTU universe. Giving Marlena an Earth element will give kids an idea that this can happen and make it more real and popular in their minds. It will give youth who want to find love something to relate to.

    Now to the alien female warrior thing being overdone. Lets face it, everything has been overdone. There has not been an original thought since the birth of Harry Potter. Its not how often it is done its how well its done. If you change to much you will alienate the population who grew up with this genre of entertainment. If you change it to much you might as well just get courteny cox back with doulph and redo the first series.
    Positive trades
    boggs32/RickPrime/Skeletor3614(x2)/MattMan2/Umbloo/BigDaddy51200(x2)/Troy-Klops/The Amazing Mutato/bengali94(x2)/evil-orko/jzid/onthehunt/marndt8448/GR81/dorrmann/lemure77/JOAH-MAN/SteelCurtain/Adora/Sallah/Baena/Sir Bushnell/D-Compose/heman4myson/tmcclurg/fishbrigade

    Miss Haps I'm Correcting my apology
    Heh-man

    Waiting Arrival
    Zodach101 ~ Pot-Pie

  9. #134
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,892
    Quote Originally Posted by MEK_A_NOSE View Post
    The problem is not the fans. We fans will go and support this movie even if they Sacha Baren Cohen playing He-Man. The thing is we need to get a future generation to appreciate the MOTU universe. Giving Marlena an Earth element will give kids an idea that this can happen and make it more real and popular in their minds. It will give youth who want to find love something to relate to.
    Again the Star Wars point then.

    You couldn't connect to Luke and feel sorry for him as he was loosing his family on Tatooine because he grew up on Tatooine raised by Tatooin...ians? Not Earthlings?

    So for He-Man, did you connect with him only AFTER you found out his mom was an earthling?

    I don't believe you have to CRAM Earth down peoples throats in order for them to connect to any given character.

    People do connect with what they know.

    They know families and friends.
    They know wars and struggles.
    They know Heros.
    They know Villians.
    They know victories and battles won.

    Who cares where it happens or where the people come from.
    Last edited by Baena; July 10, 2007 at 03:25pm.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  10. #135
    First Class, Unlimited Mirage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Asgard
    Posts
    4,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    My point exactly!
    It's been done too many times!
    And having her from Earth would be a change from what's been done before.

  11. #136
    Grew up on a horse Baena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    9,892
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    And having her from Earth would be a change from what's been done before.
    No not really.

    There have been plenty of stories where the earthling goes to another world and either becomes a great hero or heroine, or royalty or both.

    Blackstarr,
    Flash Gordon,
    John Carter of Mars.

    My point is, it's not as UNIQUE a story as you're selling it.

    It's not a BAD story by any means. It's just not that unique.

    But then again, aren't there only really 7 stories or some such thing?
    All we do is change the scenery and the characters. And sometimes mix a bit of a couple of stories.

    The Hero's journey
    The love triangle
    The quest for treasure
    The savior from another world
    The tragedy and so on and so forth.

    So I guess with that, EVERYTHING has been done too many times if you look far enough.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

  12. #137
    Heroic Evil Warrior! Neutro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    LB, Cali-ternia
    Posts
    3,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    But the masses just aren't agreeing with you here. And that's not the masses of the world that would see this movie, that's just the masses that frequent these boards and take the time to vote.
    Precisely. The masses of the world that would see this movie are all the people from Earth, so no matter what that connection will ALWAYS be there, and the general movie goers who are not fans of MOTU may be inclined to see it simply based on the story's connection to Earth. I just think the one thing that you can count on the "general" moviegoing audiences to see are films that have a basis in there real world, which of course is Earth. I could be wrong about that, but I really don't think so. Personally, I think it's pretty cool when you recongnize certain places in movies from real life, and when there is that same connection to "real life" in sci-fi/fantasy films and it's presented in a "well it could happen" kinda way, I think the story is strengthened by that personal connection. Again, I am referring to everyone who might see this film and not just the general sci-fi/fantasy moviegoing audiences.

    And with all that said, I still don't think that connection to Earth (Marlena) in a New He-Man film should be OVERLY EMPHASIZED, but it should NOT be ignored either. As it would stay true to Filmation's cannon, and I believe, if done right, could be a strong device in capturing a larger movie going audience.

    And that's just how I see it, as I know many others may feel quite differently.

    Quote Originally Posted by MEK_A_NOSE View Post
    The problem is not the fans. We fans will go and support this movie even if they Sacha Baren Cohen playing He-Man. The thing is we need to get a future generation to appreciate the MOTU universe. Giving Marlena an Earth element will give kids an idea that this can happen and make it more real and popular in their minds. It will give youth who want to find love something to relate to.
    Exactly, it makes it "more real".
    – No comment.

  13. #138
    Widget Whiplash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4
    No..keep it unique and more people will be interested...

  14. #139
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    115

    My MOTU Movie Dream-Team Cast (Partial)

    From the WWE: Triple H as He-Man, Sean Michaels as Prince Adam (maybe), Big Show as Fisto, The Undertaker as Hordak, and John Cena as either Mekaneck or Tri-Klops.

    From mainstream Film and TV: Michael Chiklis as Beast-Man, Geena Davis as the Sorceress, Angelina Jolie as She-Ra, Mariska Hargitay (Law & Order SVU) or Uma Thurman as Evil-Lyn, and Johnathan Frakes as Man-At-Arms.

    Orko would be CGI and voiced by Paul Reubens. Orko's humor would be more sly and smart-alecky than childish.

    I have no idea who would make a convincing Teela (Kirsten Dunst or Anna Paquin perhaps), but Kathy Bates would make a nice Madam Razz if they ever did a She-Ra movie.

    I know some of you are dying to comment on this! Remember, this is only a wish list, not actual suggestions.

  15. #140
    Council Elder Eamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Irish but live in UK
    Posts
    16,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    But then again, aren't there only really 7 stories or some such thing?
    All we do is change the scenery and the characters. And sometimes mix a bit of a couple of stories.

    The Hero's journey
    The love triangle
    The quest for treasure
    The savior from another world
    The tragedy and so on and so forth.

    I thought it was:
    Boy meets girl
    Boy likes girl
    Boy gets girl
    Boy looses girl
    Boy Kills girl

    or something along those lines?!

  16. #141
    First Class, Unlimited Mirage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Asgard
    Posts
    4,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Pig Boy View Post
    I thought it was:
    Boy meets girl
    Boy likes girl
    Boy gets girl
    Boy looses girl
    Boy Kills girl

    or something along those lines?!

    In YOUR DVD collection, maybe!

  17. #142
    Co-Creator of the NV
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,840
    Onekorn, Star Wars and LOTR both seemed to get by without any reference to Earth. And I know that middle earth is our earth in really ancient times, but there is no reference to that in any of the movies (if people want they can assume that Eternia is Ancient Earth). You also seem to contradict yourself. If they don't focus on the fact that Earth is part of Marlena's backstory, yet still mention it, then why would people go to see the movie because of it? Did anyone decide to see Batman Begins because Zsasz had a small cameo in it? People won't care that there is no connection to Earth. They want to go and see an action movie that will give them a fun way to spend two hours. Also, as Baena said, there is plenty to relate to, regardless of the Earth reference. I agree with Baena in that the story is not terribly unique, but I disagree with him in thinking it is not bad, because it really is.

    As for the cast wishes from Triklops, for the most part they seem good (i particularly like Frakes as MAA), but Michaels is definitely too old to play Adam. I would want Adam to be played by someone who looks like he is a skinny 16 yr old blonde kid.

  18. #143
    First Class, Unlimited Mirage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Asgard
    Posts
    4,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    I agree with Baena in that the story is not terribly unique, but I disagree with him in thinking it is not bad, because it really is.


    In your opinion ...

  19. #144
    Mistress of the Whip! Divia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    20,233
    The stories that matter to us, the ones that stick in our minds typically follow the same plot devices. So Nate is correct in saying that the plot isnt that original. Guy finds magical sword to save his kingdom. Hmm...sound like King Arthur to anyone?

    Also, the stories we really remember are the ones were we have an emotional connection.

    This can be done without earth.

    Just becuase marlena is from earth doesnt mean everyone will fall over themselves and love this movie. They will like it if they can connect with the characters.

    Furthermore, as I stated earlier dont we want to keep any earth references away from this movie considering what type of train wreck the last movie was.
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

    Smile like you mean it.

  20. #145
    Dino Charged TheShadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    MastersCast.com
    Posts
    24,275
    ^ The 1987 movie actually had a nice scene that explained He-Man's mom was from Earth. Sadly, it was not in the final production.

  21. #146
    First Class, Unlimited Mirage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Asgard
    Posts
    4,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    Furthermore, as I stated earlier dont we want to keep any earth references away from this movie considering what type of train wreck the last movie was.

    The problem with the last movie was that it was SET on Earth.



    I think you're overreacting. As long as we give the audience what it wants (namely, Eternia), we should be fine.

  22. #147
    Mistress of the Whip! Divia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    20,233
    And I think you arent seeing the big picture.

    If its one thing I am learning, and quickly is that in order to be a success you need to have a broad audience. Sure you can have your cult status but if you want a lot of people to remember and love it...you have to cater to more people than just hardcore fans.
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

    Smile like you mean it.

  23. #148
    Heroic Evil Warrior! Neutro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    LB, Cali-ternia
    Posts
    3,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    Onekorn, Star Wars and LOTR both seemed to get by without any reference to Earth. And I know that middle earth is our earth in really ancient times, but there is no reference to that in any of the movies (if people want they can assume that Eternia is Ancient Earth). You also seem to contradict yourself. If they don't focus on the fact that Earth is part of Marlena's backstory, yet still mention it, then why would people go to see the movie because of it? Did anyone decide to see Batman Begins because Zsasz had a small cameo in it? People won't care that there is no connection to Earth. They want to go and see an action movie that will give them a fun way to spend two hours. Also, as Baena said, there is plenty to relate to, regardless of the Earth reference. I agree with Baena in that the story is not terribly unique, but I disagree with him in thinking it is not bad, because it really is.
    LOTR already had a huge following before they were turned into films so that helped the films become a huge success, along with a passionate director and a choice cast & crew all around, and Star Wars is just something that was really quite a phenomenon in regards to its success which is also due to that same all-around quality, director, cast & crew, story etc.... And those are just 2 out of thousands of fantasy/sci-fi films that haven't been nearly as successful, the majority of which non-sci-fi/fantasy-fans likely haven't bothered to see.... What I'm saying here, is that those two film franchises had whole lot more going for them and therefore are not necessarily the best examples of films that can attribute some of their success to their non-Earth connections.

    People may not "care" (although some fans like myself obviously do), but like I said, this is just what I think about the general moviegoing audiences, based on how I feel personally, and I think that a "real life" type of connection to Earth is something that can intrigue a first-time viewer of a movie trailer for a film of a franchise like MOTU that they have no previous knowledge of.
    And I think that innate connection can still be effective in drawing in the casual viewer, whether that connection be just hinted at, or whether it becomes a major story arc at some point in the story.

    I'm just sayin'....
    – No comment.

  24. #149
    Co-Creator of the NV
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,840
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    The problem with the last movie was that it was SET on Earth.



    I think you're overreacting. As long as we give the audience what it wants (namely, Eternia), we should be fine.
    Actually, if any word gets out that there is a connection to Earth at all, that will lead to immediate negative comparisons to the old movie, which is a bad thing.

  25. #150
    Mistress of the Whip! Divia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    20,233
    ^

    Thank you! Thats what I'm saying.

    We really dont want people to remember the first movie. LIke I said before the gay heman thing is gonna be a big enough hurdle(cause you know people are gonna say it)
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

    Smile like you mean it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •