View Poll Results: Are your collecting days numbered?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never!!! I will collect toys until I die!

34 46.58%
  • Yes, I too have been looking to other things...

25 34.25%
  • I haven't really given it much thought...

13 17.81%
  • I'm rich! I can have it all and not worry about anything!

1 1.37%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are your collecting days numbered?

The collecting bug is waning in me for two reasons:

1) The lack of thing to collect that I like
    2) An the desire use the cash to travel

I don't think I will ever stop collection- but my priorities of what I collect and how much I spend on collecting have changed.

hmmm

i will probably collwect for ever since i'm always adding new things so WHEN the things on my want list now are gotten i will have more to get lol!
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

Where the army sends me, currently:Mannheim, Germany
    Hmmmm my ThunderCats collecting days may be numbered for a long while. With a collection of perhaps over 60 items its got to the point that the things that are left for me to collect are either A) Fairly easy to get or B) Too expensive to even think about getting. The collection has been at a standstill for quite some time so yeah my ThunderCats collecting days may be numbered for a looooong while until i can scrounge up to save enough money for those nearly impossible to get pieces
    ThunderCast: the first ThunderCats Podcast in the Universe

Visit the Thundercats websitewww.ThunderCatslair.org and forums HERE

Redpilling interns 24/7 Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    *With Foreigner playing in the background:* "Yeah, he´s gotta keep on collecting, he just can´t stop, gotta keep on collecting, that boy has got to be on top!"
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

The bunny.
    Add him to your signature.
    Help him rule the world.

Heroic Ruler of Nothing KidRandor's Avatar
    i guess it depends on what you collect and why. i started my motu collection simply because of my love for the toys when i was a kid. although i had other toys such as thundercats, g.i. joe and so on, i had no desire to display a collection of them in my home. i see alot of cool sculpts from other toy lines but the need is not there. since my collection is nearing completion i will simply enjoy the memories of my childhood and the fun i had searching for them all over again in my adulthood.

I used to collect Star Wars Unleashed but they dont make them anymore, I have the figures I want and have a whole bunch of other collecting dust. My interest has shifted a bit to old photographs.

I think you need to hone your talents, espically if you are a writer. You wont ever be pubished if you just dream about it. You must do.
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

Smile like you mean it.

Co-Creator of the NV
    My comic collecting seems to be picking up. I imagine that I will greatly expand when I get a job in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by motu77 View Post
    It's weird but I look at some of my collections now and just see wasted money.

Yeah I felt that way about my McFarlane figures. He gobbled up so many licenses and pumped out so many figures, all of them so breakable. My McFarlane collection was a great expense, and now I feel like it was a total waste. But we all have our vices right? At least I can trade/sell my figures when I'm done with them. You can't do that with beer/cigarettes.

Well, let's say that, when I find toys I like, like in the flee market, I buy them (My Little Pony, MOTU, She-Ra, Blackstar, Imperial or anything else cool), but I do limit myself. The item must be not too expensive; that's why I have no MOC toys.
    For example, I save a little time and money to do photographing for my researches (I have one about trees, one about insects and one about flowers; I collect specimens---leaves for trees, flowers for flowers, and dead specimens for insects--- that I dry out, disinfect with Lysol (for my insects)and seel in between scotchtapes for my researches (for this purpose, I recycled cartables from my school days). I use my old cheap camera that I won in a drawing contest several years ago. All my researches are about things that thrive in my home region.
    I also save time and money to draw, sculpt clay and sow (I make stuffed animals; you can see some in the Extinction forum by Peter Maas, in the "Extinct Art" thread).

So, toys are a big interest to me, but I do have others that stand the competition as my best beloved hobby.

Brassy Baroness
    My collection is much more personal. I collect comic books, and if for some strange reason I did stop collecting them, I would never sell them. They are cherished items with too many memories attached to them.
    Trust me, trust me, be a'right,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die,
    Sign' blood or fool night,
    Drink a little poison 'for you die.

I have some of my Football Cards & Comic Books left (I sold most of them years ago)

I still have my Classic MOTU & Vintage SW Along with some old TF

I don't see how some people do it not only the cost but there is SO much to collect in one line...

Having a bit of a dry spell but still looking for things to add to my collection. I try to keep it very personal and I'm very strict with what I collect and keep in my collection. That also helps maintain the craziness of it all. Althought sometimes I doubt the whole concept of collecting but I eventually snap out of it

I haven't really thought about it myself. But I have noticed I am in a bit of a rut with classic MOTU I have been looking for the last few figures I need but I notice that they have become more expensive than they have ever been. King Randor would be a fine example of that. With some of my other lines it's kinda the same thing. With My Little Pony I have this huge want list of ponies but I'm the kind of person that gets stuck wanting one specific pony or type of pony and it can take me weeks sometimes months to find that specific one. With Voltron I have a small want list but Voltron is a pricey line to collect. Sailor Moon is done for me as I have all the US/Canadian dolls. There's two pieces I would like to get but they haven't been showing up as often as they used to. Saint Seiya, well I want the other four original knights, Unicorn, Hydra, Bear and the other one but shipping for them is the only thing keeping me from getting them. Some of the other lines I collect I am just too casual about so that's why I haven't gotten as many of the toys as I could for them. Now I guess I have given it some thought.
    Hey Super7 I'm looking forward to what you do for Classics and I'm awaiting these figures!

Spinwit, Gepple, Alcon, Meldoch, Krax, Kayo, Stridor, Kittrina, Melaktha, Drissi, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Vizar, Nocturna

NA DESERVES A MINI SUB!

My Facebook, check it out!

Most recently I've discovered WOW new line of figures. They are gorgeous. While I've long since given up WOW, and I have nothing but contempt for Blizzard... but these figures are gorgeous... gorgeous... and they even have a deluxe figure that I want... ooooh ahhh...

I will hand it to Blizzard, since teaming up with DC Direct, they can sure make a lovely piece of plastic. No! Self control! Self control! I've been so good for soooooooooooooooooooo long....

I don't mind too much about the "collecting", it's only some toys that are special for me because they were important in my childhood (or newer things related, like the 2002 MOTU line). I don't know if I'll ever complete the things I would like to have, if the process takes me all my life then that's what it'll be, I don't see any reason why to stop other than completing the collection.

Heroic Warrior
    I think my "Collecting to Abundance" days are coming to a close. There are some things I want out of life, and I can't have them if I spend all my money on toys and comics.

but I'll always buy the odd toy here and there.

Heroic Warrior
    I'll probably remain a vintage collector, especially with MOTU, GI Joe, and Ninja Turtles, but I'm also looking towards building a career, and a life for myself, and if I'm gonna get a wife, this stuff is gonna have to go to the back burner.

I love it, every bit, and would never think of getting rid of any of it, but there are just some things that are more important, and if I don't prioritize the importance, I'll be focusing on the wrong things.

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    I collect MOTU, if MOTU stop I will too.

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    I collect the Doctor Who figures that interest me and the MOTU figures that interest me with the occasional item from another line if it appeals, I have a few of the Warcraft figures for instance.

I don't have to have a complete line though, and get every figure just to have a complete collection. For example, I won't be getting Stratos and Ram Man from the MOTU Classics line because I don't like those characters.

Once the Doctor Who and MOTU lines end, I won't collect anything, just an occasional item.
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!

Drinking NaughtyNurse IPA TheDeviot's Avatar
    I had to stop collecting. Space issues. Occasionally if there's a reeeeealllly good wrestling figure of a character I like, and don't have I'll snatch it up.
    But on the whole I had to stop. If someone wants to buy some random troves so I have space I may start up again. But even then I'm trying to save to get out of here. So yeah, I'm pretty much done for the forseeable future. Besides, with everything going under there's nowhere to buy toys anyway.
    In my town you have:

1 Toys R' Us
    1. Walmart (I don't shop there so nix that one)
    1 Spencer's Gifts (Figure selection fluxuates wildly, and are inflated)
    1 Transworld (See Spencer's)

And there's a Target on the Bethel/Danbury Border.

All of the comic/hobby places are pretty much gone too.
    The Deviot
    -------------------------
    "No matter how hot you think they are, Someone. Somewhere. Is tired of their crap."

-?

The evil ol' lady could only wish that my collecting days were numbered.
    Most devastating letters in all of sports entertainment...

Evil master of... stuff. He-Lurker's Avatar
    I don't really limit myself to collecting just one thing. I used to collect entire toy lines regardless of if I liked a certain figure or not just to be complete, but stopped quite a while ago. Now it's just if I like it, have the money, I'll buy it. However, I do find that I'm wanting to sell off some of my older stuff, after the luster has worn off... For me, a lot of the thrill lies in the hunt. The most fun part is trying to find that elusive figure, and once you find it, it's great and all... but not as fun as the hunt.

Never really gave it much thought really. I collect as much as I can afford as long as bills are paid.
    By the Power of Grey Skull!

Master of Power Suction Killian's Avatar
    I can't afford to collect much of anything anymore if I want to maintain my lifestyle, though I make an exception for MOTUC, they're a need, not a want
    He who dies with the most MOTUC wins!