Page 86 of 86 FirstFirst ... 3676848586
Results 2,126 to 2,148 of 2148

Thread: New Movie Casting Speculation Thread

I think Henry Cavill could honestly do it. There's a reason so many of his roles include shirtless scenes; the guy's by far the most jacked-up that any live-action Superman has ever been, and as a "bonus" he's also a really good actor. He's only about 6'1 but he's pretty wide. He might be a bit "old" for it now, though, but eh.

The more popular and commonly-cited pick is Chris Hemsworth, and I admit that's not a bad pick, although I think it's a bit too close to Thor in some ways. But he wouldn't be bad. He's pretty open that he doesn't like working out to get jacked for a role but he's gotten pretty impressively huge for the Hulk Hogan movie. So he can get there when he feels like it.

I think a huge problem is honestly the costume. Like I could see either of the two actors I mentioned playing the role well from an acting standpoint... but would either of them want to wear the traditional He-Man costume? I sort of doubt it. I have to believe that's a more common obstacle than we might think, and it probably comes up in conversation fairly often when they're trying to find a guy. Most actors would likely feel ridiculous spending 12-hour shooting days wearing furry underpants. Even to this day, while his general stance on the 1987 movie has softened somewhat, Dolph still mockingly refers to wearing a "leather diaper" so you have to believe that it wasn't his favorite "look"; and at least he had a slightly more "modest" attire given that he had a cape to sort of distract from the fact he was practically nude otherwise.

Don't get me wrong, the traditional He-Man costume is by far my favorite look for the character, but you have to admit it's a tough sell in live-action and most guys probably wouldn't be comfortable wearing it. That's probably a big factor in why casting the role is so hard. The only guys who'd probably consent to wearing it are bodybuilder types, most of whom can't act. And most "real" actors except Cavill and Hemsworth simply can't pull off the look.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

I don't know about He-Man, but Garrett Clayton would be awesome as Prince Adam.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...mageBasicHover
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    I think Henry Cavill could honestly do it. There's a reason so many of his roles include shirtless scenes; the guy's by far the most jacked-up that any live-action Superman has ever been, and as a "bonus" he's also a really good actor. He's only about 6'1 but he's pretty wide. He might be a bit "old" for it now, though, but eh.

The more popular and commonly-cited pick is Chris Hemsworth, and I admit that's not a bad pick, although I think it's a bit too close to Thor in some ways. But he wouldn't be bad. He's pretty open that he doesn't like working out to get jacked for a role but he's gotten pretty impressively huge for the Hulk Hogan movie. So he can get there when he feels like it.

I think a huge problem is honestly the costume. Like I could see either of the two actors I mentioned playing the role well from an acting standpoint... but would either of them want to wear the traditional He-Man costume? I sort of doubt it. I have to believe that's a more common obstacle than we might think, and it probably comes up in conversation fairly often when they're trying to find a guy. Most actors would likely feel ridiculous spending 12-hour shooting days wearing furry underpants. Even to this day, while his general stance on the 1987 movie has softened somewhat, Dolph still mockingly refers to wearing a "leather diaper" so you have to believe that it wasn't his favorite "look"; and at least he had a slightly more "modest" attire given that he had a cape to sort of distract from the fact he was practically nude otherwise.

Don't get me wrong, the traditional He-Man costume is by far my favorite look for the character, but you have to admit it's a tough sell in live-action and most guys probably wouldn't be comfortable wearing it. That's probably a big factor in why casting the role is so hard. The only guys who'd probably consent to wearing it are bodybuilder types, most of whom can't act. And most "real" actors except Cavill and Hemsworth simply can't pull off the look.
    I think they have tinkered around with changing the costume but it is a difficult thing to do without He-Man appearing to be a Thor rip-off with a sword. Doubly true if the casting pitch has Hemsworth in mind. Cynical audiences today would scream rip-off and tear the movie to shreds with negative reviews. He-Man has to be his own thing and can't be a copy of another character. He-Man is iconic enough that the franchise doesn't need to imitate other brands. They just need to find someone who can stand up and own the look.

But you are right, the only guys who'd consent to wearing He-Man's costume are bodybuilder types. The thing is He-Man should look like a bodybuilder. That is whole point and that is why it is so hard to cast this role. Even Cavill and Hemsworth can't pull it off. Neither one of them have that just won "Mr Universe" contest look.

Court Magician
    It's crazy to think that there really aren't any 'actors' in Hollywood today that have that iconic look that Arnie and Dolph had in their heyday.

And who says He Man has to be a young guy? Get Van Damme to workout again and dye his hair?

Could we throw a blonde wig on The Rock?

Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post
    The biggest problem with the He-Man is that there is no actor currently in Hollywood who can believably sell the role of He-Man. Seeing is believing. If the producer can't dress up a guy in costume and present him to a studio say "Look here is He-Man" otherwise it is never going to happen. Characters like He-Man and Conan need to wait for another triple A actor like Arnold Schwarzenegger or Dolph Lundgren to come along. The closest we ever came to getting that was with maybe Brad Pitt right after he played Achilles in "Troy" (2004). Until another opportunity arises we are just kind of stuck in limbo playing the waiting game.
    While Brad Pitt bulked up nicely for Troy, he was already in his 40's back then. There's no way any studio would cast someone that old for their debut He-Man film.

Studios are WAY more critical of every aspect of the movie making process. They're unwilling to take a gamble and try to ensure a movie does well by attaching well known seasoned actors and actresses to the production.

Even if they are well known, some entertainers can be difficult and derail productions.

In this instance, I feel like finding someone who is an unknown with the build, look, and characteristics of He-man would definitely make the character come to life, but the studio would consider that a gamble too risky to take.

They're looking for someone who can draw an audience from multiple points. They want someone who has an audience they can pull from. If they chose an established "action" star, you'd be stuck with your existing audience. Pick someone from another style of movie, like an actor who normally performs more romantic roles, you could add to that audience by having people who wouldn't normally go see an action, sci-fi, fantasy movie, follow an actor they like and see a MOTU movie simply because they like the actors and actresses in the cast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Court Magician
    I think the studios had the right idea with Noah Centineo in the sense that he was kind of an unknown. He may not have fit the part in the end, so him walking away might not be a bad thing, but I think the person chosen should be an otherwise lesser-known name. Henry Cavill and Chris Hemsworth and all those guys could pull it off, sure, but way too many people are going to see The Witcher or Superman or Thor, and not be fully-convinced that they're watching He-Man on the screen. I feel like anybody who has already played a similar role should be ruled out.

That being said, I think it would be fun to see veteran swashbuckler/fantasy actors make a comeback for certain parts. Imagine having Orlando Bloom as Mer-Man or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Creature22 View Post
    I think the studios had the right idea with Noah Centineo in the sense that he was kind of an unknown. He may not have fit the part in the end, so him walking away might not be a bad thing, but I think the person chosen should be an otherwise lesser-known name. Henry Cavill and Chris Hemsworth and all those guys could pull it off, sure, but way too many people are going to see The Witcher or Superman or Thor, and not be fully-convinced that they're watching He-Man on the screen. I feel like anybody who has already played a similar role should be ruled out.

That being said, I think it would be fun to see veteran swashbuckler/fantasy actors make a comeback for certain parts. Imagine having Orlando Bloom as Mer-Man or something.
    See, I generally agree with that kind of thinking. But then the MCU rode Robert Downey Jr. to the tune of like eight billion dollars or whatever. So turns out that no, audiences don't care about that kinda thing after all, they just pay to see people they like.

Casting Hemsworth as He-Man would probably be the movie's only prayer at actually turning a profit, honestly, whether that's "good" or "fair" or not. I think it's a bit too close to Thor, myself, BUT his established fanbase would most likely come out to see him, and he has a very large female audience who would love to see him walk around shirtless in trunks for two hours or so. That's almost the entirety of how Aquaman made a billion dollars. Good movie, but on its own, not quite that much of a world-beater, I don't think. But never underestimate the power of thirsty Game of Thrones fans. Likewise, a ton of people who liked Hemsworth as Thor would inevitably come out to watch him play He-Man; you can guarantee that it would be a ton more people than if they cast an unknown.

I think they'd probably like to get him, and I'd be shocked if nobody ever floated the opportunity his way, but I promise that they couldn't afford him at this point in time. At this point, the fact that they're casting unknowns has less to do with "not wanting to distract the audience" and more to do with what they can reasonably afford, budget-wise. No "known" actor is gonna take a massive pay cut to play He-Man in a Netflix movie, that simply isn't happening.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

See, I generally agree with that kind of thinking. But then the MCU rode Robert Downey Jr. to the tune of like eight billion dollars or whatever. So turns out that no, audiences don't care about that kinda thing after all, they just pay to see people they like.
    Except none of those people saw Doolittle.

Point taken.

Court Magician
    I think they'd probably like to get him, and I'd be shocked if nobody ever floated the opportunity his way, but I promise that they couldn't afford him at this point in time.
    Yeah, there's no way Chris Hemsworth is gonna be He-Man at this point. Too expensive and from what I've heard he actually turned the part down for the very reason that he thought it was too similar to Thor (and I guess he doesn't want to be typecast).

Not sure who they can get for He-Man but they would be some big boots to fill. In all honesty, Henry Cavill is not a bad choice considering he agreed to do the Witcher for Netflix and we realize he can rock a fake bright wig pretty well.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Night Ghast View Post
    And yes, there is no He Man 'actor' out there apart from a WWE guy that cant act. I'll say it again, put a blonde wig on The Rock and we're there.
    Imo Chris Hemsworth would be great

Heroic Warrior
    Do you know what I wouldnít be mad if the Rock played he-man. Yeah we all have the image of him being a blonde muscle man but I think the rock could do him justice and make people wanna see the movie. And those who donít like it would have to get over it. We arenít going to see hemsworth doing it any time soon. Unless you want his little brother to do it

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by dan1980 View Post
    Do you know what I wouldnít be mad if the Rock played he-man. Yeah we all have the image of him being a blonde muscle man but I think the rock could do him justice and make people wanna see the movie. And those who donít like it would have to get over it.t
    Also, is The Rock not the highest earning Male actor in Hollywood at the moment? I could be wrong though...

Chris Hemsworth said "He can't play He-Man" back in 2012. https://www.nme.com/news/film/chris-...-he-man-876652

As for the "the Rock," Dwayne Johnson is 48 years old now.

There is pretty much zero chance either one will ever be cast as He-Man.

Chris Hemsworth said "He can't play He-Man" back in 2012. https://www.nme.com/news/film/chris-...-he-man-876652

Who came up with "the Rock" for He-Man anyway? I dont think they appear remotely similar.

Heroic Warrior
    Id rather have Rock as Bravestarr than HM

I predict a new movie will only do moderate $$$ , it will prolly end up like Superman Returns , basically average
    Last edited by Wonder Bread He-Man; April 15, 2021 at 03:38am.
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

Heroic Warrior
    Well , Moore played Bond to almost 60 so you never know

Maybe we will have to settle with a less muscular HM (non-bb type)

If i were the producer Id hire Green over Thurman as EL : shes younger and would prolly fit the role better

If only Jane Seymour was younger , i think she wouldve been wondeful as Sorceress

"They're unwilling to take a gamble"

It was the same thing with Bruce Lee back in the day but then around '72 Hwood started noticing Lee smashing box office in SE Asia , before that they thought Lee wouldnt amount to much
    Last edited by Wonder Bread He-Man; April 15, 2021 at 03:54am.
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

Rock would be something as a cast for MOTU, my nearest comparison of him and his physique is either major character as Captain of the Royal Guard or Zodak.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

Eventually, many actors will sign over rights to their likenesses, so with CGI advancements, you can have pretty much any version of any actor or actress play any part, and give them any body type. Granted, that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Does it sound a little silly? Of course. But imagine going back to the 1920s and talking about cell phones and robot vacuum cleaners.
    Odd Man Out

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    Eventually, many actors will sign over rights to their likenesses, so with CGI advancements, you can have pretty much any version of any actor or actress play any part, and give them any body type. Granted, that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Does it sound a little silly? Of course. But imagine going back to the 1920s and talking about cell phones and robot vacuum cleaners.
    This is absolutely the way things are going. De-aging technology has made huge advances and is being used more and more. And look at the precedent set by Rogue One using the CGI likeness of a long dead actor as a main character in the film. Fascinating stuff. On that note, I read that there's even a brand new movie coming out starring James Dean, who died in 1955. The possibilities with this tech are endless - I can imagine new Bond movies being made eventually with a CGI version of Sean Connery at his mid 1960's peak...

The Rock would be a great casting choice for Bravestarr. He doesn't look like anyone in MOTU except maybe an obscure character like Garn.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    Rock would be something as a cast for MOTU, my nearest comparison of him and his physique is either major character as Captain of the Royal Guard or Zodak.
    The Rock as Teela is an odd choice