Thread: Dinosaur Art

Heroic sculptor of toys Battle_Brak's Avatar

Dinosaur Art

Everybody likes dinosaurs right? I've always loved dinosaurs, and I have a huge interest in nature and natural history. I recently got a job modeling cg dinosaurs for an interactive exhibit. I'm not at liberty to show any of that, but I've been on a prehistoric kick lately and thought I'd post some of my sketches and concept work here. I'm going to kick this off with one of most recognizable and menacing dinosaurs...

Tyrannosaurus rex

Let me know what you think.
    Check out my artwork: https://aarondoyle.artstation.com/

Freakin awesome Brak! Your pencil work is impressive.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Quote Originally Posted by oICEMANo View Post
    Freakin awesome Brak! Your pencil work is impressive.
    Ditto on what my bro above said. That's master work. Stunning!
    Always looking for new clients!

My eBay feedback

My Org Feedback

Looks cool, but it looks more like a Albertosaurus imo...
    Take a look at my deviantart. http://kaassouffle.deviantart.com/gallery/

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    Looks cool, but it looks more like a Albertosaurus imo...
    Is that a joke? Hard to judge on the internet sometimes.

To Brak: nice art, man. Crazy detail. How big is that in real life (assuming it's a scan)?
    Like customizing classic figs? Want to play the part of Mattel and design figures from existing fodder but you lack supplies? Bored?! Then try out the Classic Character Creation Compiler today!

Some lovely rendering there dude!!

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotFool View Post
    Is that a joke? Hard to judge on the internet sometimes.

To Brak: nice art, man. Crazy detail. How big is that in real life (assuming it's a scan)?
    It's not a joke... It's just my opinion. The ridges on the face are usually displayed on the Albertasaurus. I'm no expert though so I could very well be wrong...

The rendering is awesome.

It's not a joke... It's just my opinion. The ridges on the face are usually displayed on the Albertasaurus. I'm no expert though so I could very well be wrong...

The rendering is awesome.
    I figured it might be a joke because "Fierce, meat-eating Albertosaurus sarcophagus is almost identical to its cousin Tyrannosaurus rex, but not as large." I've seen more than a couple of T-Rex renderings with such ridges.
    Like customizing classic figs? Want to play the part of Mattel and design figures from existing fodder but you lack supplies? Bored?! Then try out the Classic Character Creation Compiler today!

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotFool View Post
    I figured it might be a joke because "Fierce, meat-eating Albertosaurus sarcophagus is almost identical to its cousin Tyrannosaurus rex, but not as large." I've seen more than a couple of T-Rex renderings with such ridges.
    Ah ic... Wellm I was thought there were more differences then that. But we are straighing from the topic.

Heroic sculptor of toys Battle_Brak's Avatar
    Ah ic... Wellm I was thought there were more differences then that. But we are straighing from the topic.
    Tyrannosaurus and Albertosaurus are very closely related genera. Most therapod (two legged - meat eating) dinosaurs have been restored with scaly or horny nasal ridges. Some of this is scientific (the presence of scarring on the bony ridges might indicate areas where horn was fused to bone) some of it is artistic license (I just thought that particular arrangement looked good).

next up:

Deinonychus antirhoppus

Deinonychus is probably most noticable for portraying the "Velociraptors" in the Jurassic Park films. Real Velociraptors were small, slender animals about the size of a small dog. Rather than just sizing up the Velociraptors, the designers based their large raptors on Deinonychus (a larger, more menacing member of the same group). In fact the skeleton at the beginning of the first film, cited as Velociraptor, was actually a Deinonychus skeleton.

Deinonychus was also a major player in the shortlived Dino-Riders toyline and cartoon.

I've presented it here with feathers. Aside from a myriad of avian features in it's anatomy, more and more dromaeosaurs (the group of dinosaurs to which it belongs) are being discovered with preserved feathers. In addition, Velociraptor bones were recently discovered with anchor points for wing feathers. One major point of anatomical inaccuracy is that I've reversed the hallux (1st toe). I had based this on older skeletal reconstructions which had the toe backwards as in perching birds. It now seems this is not the case, not just in this species but in most dinosaurs and birds of that time.
    Last edited by Battle_Brak; October 7, 2007 at 03:57pm.
    Check out my artwork: https://aarondoyle.artstation.com/

Loves Species 8472 <3 o0angeredsoul0o's Avatar
    They had feathers? Awwww...my book lied T_T
    "It has been proven! Jess is clincally insane. But she aint havin no therapy!!"

Heroic Warrior
    wow... your stuff looks just as good as or better than Crash McCreery's stuff!

i love, love, love scientific illustrations, and you have impressed me... once again!

The head looks great, but the body looks odd - especially the legs and the tail. The legs look very small and thin and the tail just looks weird.