Thread: MOTU Inspirations

MOTU Inspirations

Correct me if I'm wrong.

DECADES before Thundarr The Barbarian would take America by a storm, there was another magic-powered barbarian featuring primitive clothes, a mystical power weapon and a dual identity as well...
    ... AND yes, a "sidekick animal" (a dragon) which would turn into an upgraded version of itself by the power of the same magic weapon.

I'm amazed. I've just discovered this character today... but I have some reminiscences... must have watched the cartoon when I was a kid.

MIGHTOR.
    Last edited by Vanquest; October 17, 2007 at 05:59pm.
    "We're the real deal, you know." - Jake Kong Jr.

GHOSTBUSTERS: http://filmationghostbuster.proboards.com/

BLACKSTAR: http://johnblackstar.proboards.com/

Well, you could then say that Mightor was inspired by Shazam!
    And then Shazam was inspired by Superman.

But you are right, Mightor has a lot of similarities to He-man.
    But I doubt that Filmation or Mattel were inspired by it.

In fairness, Hanna Barbera did have some wicked ideas for the time but it's the delivery of those idea's that counts. And Mightor was a very basic, simple and disposable cartoon.
    He-man was a very grand affair by comparason.

Alex Toth created Mightor.

I'm impressed. How many similarities... Even more than Thundarr and Blackstar.

Blackstar is more like Flash Gordon or John Carter of Mars really!
    Thundarr is just another charater that was very typical of the sword and sorcery magazines and books that were out in the late 70's.
    He was by no means the only barbarian in a post apoclyptic world at that time!
    But again. Did any of these have the ingredients of greatness that MOTU was? A resounding no way man!!

He-mans transformation was actually based on Marvels Thor. (see series bible)
    Brings doom to MOTUC with cel accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    He-mans transformation was actually based on Marvels Thor. (see series bible)
    Yeah, but Mightor set the visual standard, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquest View Post
    Yeah, but Mightor set the visual standard, I think.
    Just as Conan, Filmation experience on Tarzan, Flash Gordon and Blackstar, Prince Valiant, Viking imagery, Captain Marvel, Frank Frazetta's work... And that's the one I'm thinking of. MOTU come out as a crossroad of many influence. Alex Toth influence on cartoon is considerable indeed, and the Filmation look sure borrowed from is it. Mightor being set in a prehistoric time with big muscleman sure might helped.

Blackstar is more like Flash Gordon or John Carter of Mars really!
    Thundarr is just another charater that was very typical of the sword and sorcery magazines and books that were out in the late 70's.
    He was by no means the only barbarian in a post apoclyptic world at that time!
    But again. Did any of these have the ingredients of greatness that MOTU was? A resounding no way man!!
    Well, in Blackstar I always liked how the main villain managed not to be overdone (the series length sure helped do) and found Thundarr much more wild setting wise. MOTU had a moral backbone that allowed some stories to go very far and set interesting precedent.
    Personally I like all these series as much!
    Last edited by Dr Bo; October 19, 2007 at 03:23pm.
    - Dr Bo.
    Man of Kitsch, Robot and Glamour. And some barbarians hero, too.

Member with whom I completed great trade and transaction: Lady Angora, Royalbliss, 10incher, Secret_defender, Bosskmr, LupaLuna, Motu2002, Buzz Saw Hordak, Malakai9999, Racer X, Igorr & Cpuwizshot.

He-Man was actually inspired by my Uncle Ted. He ran a 3M plant in Wisconsin, now he is retired and owns a tavern.

MOTU Inspirations in Fantasy Works

I'm a newbie, so perhaps this question has been asked before, but I thought I'd posit it:

Robert E. Howard's Conan was obviously the prototype for He-Man, but I was wondering if there were any other fantasy works that were also inspirations in the creation and ongoing adventures of the toyline and cartoon(s). Does anyone know of any?

As I've been going through the new Filmation guide book I noticed that one episode had an Eternian location inspired by a setting in the movie "Dragonslayer" (sorry, I can't remember exactly which episode). Are there any other instances of outside fantasy inspirations like this in the series?

It would be neat to compile a list of other works (art, books, movies) to explore alongside MOTU.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bugaboo_4 View Post
    I'm a newbie, so perhaps this question has been asked before, but I thought I'd posit it:

Robert E. Howard's Conan was obviously the prototype for He-Man, but I was wondering if there were any other fantasy works that were also inspirations in the creation and ongoing adventures of the toyline and cartoon(s). Does anyone know of any?

As I've been going through the new Filmation guide book I noticed that one episode had an Eternian location inspired by a setting in the movie "Dragonslayer" (sorry, I can't remember exactly which episode). Are there any other instances of outside fantasy inspirations like this in the series?

It would be neat to compile a list of other works (art, books, movies) to explore alongside MOTU.
    As you said Robert E. Howard is the most obvious inspiration for MOTU, but MOTU's evolution from the 1st mini comics until the 200X series and the modern DC comics is mixing together every Fantasy franchise from the beginning of the 20th Century, arriving to Star Wars and even Mad Max. But let's take it one by one.

1. Robert E. Howard inspirations:
    - He-Man/Conan
    - Skeletor/Thulsa Doom
    - King Hsss/Thoth Amon
    - Snake Men/Serpent Men
    - Serpos/Seth
    - Shokoti/Akivasha
    - King Grayskull/King Kull

2. J.R.R Tolkien:
    - Granamyr and Darksmoke/Great Dragons of the North of Middle Earth
    - Sky Tree/Treebeard
    - Orcs, Goblins, Trolls etc. Even if these races are coming from the Norse and German Mythology
    - Widgets/Hobbits
    - Lord Masque/Nazgul

3. H. P Lovecraft:
    - Sh'Gorra/Chulhu
    - Shokoti's Sleeping Beast, Yog, the Creature from the Pool of Shadows in the 200X cartoon are all Lovecraftian inspired monsters

4. Edgar Rice Burroughs:
    - Eternia/ Mars (both are Sword and Planet based worlds)
    - Marlena/John Carter (Marlena could be also considered a Flash Gordn influence, but the concept of an Earth human found lost in a Fantasy/Sci.fi planet, it comes first from Burroughs)

5. Star Wars:
    - Horde/Galactic Empire
    - Adam & Adora Luke & Leia
    - Hordak & Keldor/Emperor & Darth Vader
    (the original Horde members's designs though are inspired from the classic horror monsters like Vampire, Wolfman etc)

6. Mad Max
    - Eternia as post apocalyptic world/Mad Max's Wasteland
    - Vehicles remained and modified from the previous civilization/Mad Max's vehicles
    - Lodar/Lord Humungus

7. DC Universe mythos:
    - Zodac and the Cosmic Eforcers/Green Lanterns

8. The Swords of Grayskull: Magic Swords or Swords with special powers are very common in almost every mythology, from Excalibur, to Balmung, to Narsil etc.

These are some from the major influences which came in my mind, and that MOTU mixed together, by creating a unique Universe.
    Last edited by granamyr80; February 23, 2017 at 09:51pm.

Thanks for these, granamyr80. Some I never even thought of before, like Mad Max.

I was also just thinking of the connection between She-Ra and Norse Valkyrie mythology. I think an interesting connection could be made between She-Ra and Brunnhilde.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bugaboo_4 View Post
    Thanks for these, granamyr80. Some I never even thought of before, like Mad Max.

I was also just thinking of the connection between She-Ra and Norse Valkyrie mythology. I think an interesting connection could be made between She-Ra and Brunnhilde.
    As design, yes there is beyond doubt that She-Ra is clearly Valkyrian influence. Swiftwind's addition fortifies even more the Valkyrian connection, since the Valkyries many times have been depicted to ride flying horses in battle. In the same way that Battle Cat fortified Howard's influence on MOTU (Kull for example had a feline companion, when he was young in Atlantis).

And another Howard's obvious inspiration that i forgot to mention: Teela.
    Teela in one of her first designs was depicted with loincloth and barbarian look (her first apperance in the 82's DC mini series, now known as the Battleground version), and 30 years later Teela has a similar barbarian oufit. This is clearly inspired by Red Sonja, with whom Teela also shares some character traits too.

Last edited by granamyr80; February 24, 2017 at 05:15pm.