Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: MotU by j-bird

Totally Dyslexic
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

No color changes. Grey with black and down toned colors are for other properties.

MOTU/POP is colorful and thatīs what makes it unique and special if you ask me.

The bright green accessories with that blue skin and that maroon helmet makes Trap Jaw pop.
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Quartzara(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Quote Originally Posted by thorr View Post
    Yes. What do u think?
    Actually seeing it now, I think he needs a different skin color or it'll just look like weird trapjaw
    I could just make his face the same blue-ish color as the rest of his skin, but I feel like changing the black to gray reads too heroic or too much like Roboto or something ... I also feel like the red kind of veers toward his Filmation appearance, which isn't my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

No color changes. Grey with black and down toned colors are for other properties.

MOTU/POP is colorful and thatīs what makes it unique and special if you ask me.

The bright green accessories with that blue skin and that maroon helmet makes Trap Jaw pop.
    I agree with you in general, I feel like MotU should stay bright and colorful, but do you feel like those particular colors have to be the ones to make Trap-Jaw pop? How about something like his vintage mini-comic colors (to which I'm a little bit partial):
    Trap-Jaw (Alt-Colors) - Assembly.jpg

or matching the skin of his torso to his face:
    Trap-Jaw (Alt-Colors 2) - Assembly.jpg

or do I just stick with the original on the theory that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

Totally Dyslexic
    Quote Originally Posted by j-bird View Post

I agree with you in general, I feel like MotU should stay bright and colorful, but do you feel like those particular colors have to be the ones to make Trap-Jaw pop? How about something like his vintage mini-comic colors (to which I'm a little bit partial):
    Trap-Jaw (Alt-Colors) - Assembly.jpg

or matching the skin of his torso to his face:
    Trap-Jaw (Alt-Colors 2) - Assembly.jpg

or do I just stick with the original on the theory that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?
    Trap Jaws mini comic look is so different from his actual look that i donīt think they can be compared. His weird striped bathing suit alone is simply the best and always reminded me of Phantoms weird striped briefs:

But since they decided to give Trap Jaw more armor they changed his colors as well and i have to admit they chose right and the black/blue/green/maroon color scheme is the best for him.

So i say green skin and grey right arm with no armor on his legs works since his skin is so bright.

When he is fully armored we need the blue skin and especially the bright green accessories.
    Last edited by Niki; April 27, 2017 at 03:26pm.
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Quartzara(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    Trap Jaws mini comic look is so different from his actual look that i donīt think they can be compared. His weird striped bathing suit alone is simply the best and always reminded me of Phantoms weird striped briefs:

http://www.oafe.net/blog/wp-content/...motu_mtj10.jpg

https://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.ne...600/994705.jpg

But since they decided to give Trap Jaw more armor they changed his colors as well and i have to admit they chose right and the black/blue/green/maroon color scheme is the best for him.

So i say green skin and grey right arm with no armor on his legs works since his skin is so bright.

When he is fully armored we need the blue skin and especially the bright green accessories.
    I can respect that. I do, however, enjoy the idea of a sort of hybrid of his two looks to sort of bridge that gap ... for some reason I also really enjoy the mini-comic colors alongside Skeletor's other warriors (as seen in The Tale of Teela, for example), so I just felt like I had to do a full version of that look.

Besides the color-scheme, I also tweaked his tagline ... I did keep the "armed" pun, I just wanted to try and work the "master" thing in there ... not sure it was either necessary or effective, but hey, it's worth a shot, and my prior version kept the original tagline, so ...

Totally Dyslexic
    My opinion is just that, another opinion and in the end everyone has to stick with their gut.

The picture looks good
    Last edited by Niki; April 28, 2017 at 09:50am.

Court Magician
    Thanks for doing both color schemes too! I love these!

I was just looking through some old stuff and realized it had been a while (more than two years?!) since I'd logged in / posted anything. Hope this finds you all well.

EDIT:
    Looking through the old stuff got me interested in this series of mine again, so ...

EDIT2:
    A more 200x-inspired version.

EDIT3:
    Some random (or semi-random) Karikoni / Claw-Guy / Orcas Island warriors in the assembly-required style, based (mostly and loosely) on some images from (I believe) the MYP bible / style-guide (?). I've seen fan-names for a couple of them ("Crabtuse" and "Pinsore", I believe), but not much for the other two. I kind of want to call the female "Crustine" ("crustacean" + "Justine"), but I'm not sure the real-name reference works for me. Maybe "Scuttlor" for the third guy, I dunno.

EDIT4:
    Continuing this series, this time a vintage-figure style take on Evil-Lyn.
    Last edited by j-bird; February 23, 2020 at 02:42pm.

Love the new stuff J Bird. You can really see your style evolving and improving. Well done!
    A fabulous new wardrobe was revealed to me the day I held aloft my sword and said...

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire Moon View Post
    Love the new stuff J Bird. You can really see your style evolving and improving. Well done!
    Thanks! Glad you're enjoying the new stuff.

Still digging through some old stuff, and found this one I'd never posted. I still feel like using the "Battle-Armor" tag for a 200x-style version of Stratos kind of works.

EDIT:
    This one I've had rattling around in my head for a while and finally got her out. Here's my take on Queen Balina of Targa, a one-shot villain from the original He-Man cartoon series (episode MU031 - "A Tale of Two Cities").

Continuing with my ongoing "assembly required" experiment, where I "re-use parts" from other characters.

With Balina, the boots and bodice are the same as those I used on my versions of Shokoti and Sibylline (with the exception of Balina's toes being exposed and not having high-heels).
    The skirt and wristbands are the same as those used on my version of Battle-Armor Queen Marlena (with the addition of the claw detail / removal of the strap).
    The upper arms are the same as Teela / Evil-Lyn.

I wanted to kind of refresh the character, but stay true to the spirit of her original look.

I'm trying (halfheartedly at least) to have at least two uses in mind for each basic "part" i draw (with the exception of heads).

EDIT2:

My take on King (Chief? Elder?) Chooblah, originally from the 200x / MYP cartoon. Obviously lots of Beast Man / Stratos parts, with a modified Beast Man "armor" / harness-thing. Part of me wonders now if I couldn't have kept the spike-things from Beast Man's harness and still had it work ... maybe for a "battle-armor" version?

Last edited by j-bird; February 28, 2020 at 10:07am.

It's been way too long since I've drawn this guy ...
    http://img06.deviantart.net/99f2/i/2...10-db5w6pu.jpg
    Mer-Man is one of my favorite villains (design-wise, at least) from MotU. His characterization frequently leaves something to be desired, but even then I've always felt like he had potential.

So ****** epic.

Still digging through some old stuff, and found this one I'd never posted. I still feel like using the "Battle-Armor" tag for a 200x-style version of Stratos kind of works.
    https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca88...Z1OrDrmO0BR4yw
    You don't mind if I confess to hating you.... out of sheer jealousy of your talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    So ****** epic.

You don't mind if I confess to hating you.... out of sheer jealousy of your talent.
    I guess I'll survive. Seriously, though, thank you. I like that you commented on Mer-Man and Stratos specifically - those are two of my favorite characters, so that's particularly rewarding.

Here's an updated take on my version of Shokoti. Nothing particularly different from my previous version (post #331 in this thread, if you're interested), just updated to this style / format / project.

In my head-canon, she would have been the primary villain during the time of Wun-Dar (whom I kind of see as the chronological mid-point between King Grayskull and He-Man), with the Fuerza-T villains as her main henchmen.

EDIT:
    My latest take on Stratos' sister Hawke; basically a female version of my "Battle-Armor" / 200x Stratos. My previous version (post #320, page 13) was based more on a classic look, and since I'm sticking with the idea that she's the head of Avion's military, i figured the more armored look was more appropriate.

I also did an updated version of Stratos' wife Delora. She's not too different from my previous version (post #318 in this thread), but I did make some minor updates. I removed the kind of collar-piece from her helmet, which ended up providing more of a coloring challenge than I anticipated, trying to find the right blend from the skin on her face to the fur on her body. I did keep the same "harness" / armor I used previously, whereas on Hawke I'd used one more similar to that of Stratos, though thinking about it now Delora's almost makes more sense for a warrior than Hawke's.

EDIT2:
    I was not quite satisfied with my initial version of Delora, I played around with some different versions. On the far left: something like her initial mini-comic appearance (Siege of Avion), where she was Stratos' human wife. Then shifting (to the right) through something closer to her appearance in the Ladybird MotU books, where she was (again) Stratos' wife, but this time an Avian (bird-woman) who could not fly. The third version in is the closest I come to that version. Then shifting through (again to the right) to something closer to her Filmation appearance, where she was Stratos' sister.

I'm not sure exactly which version I'll land on, but I'm leaning toward the "Ladybird" version currently.

Since I was playing, I tried out some different versions of Hawke as well. Sort of continuing the "shift" from Delora, a "Filmation" kind of version (same as Delora but with a different head), then my previous "female Stratos" version, then shifting toward something closer to her MYP / 200x look. I'm kind of leaning toward the right-end of this spectrum right now.

EDIT3:
    So I've been working on some sort of "world building" ideas both in general (kind of starting with the Karikoni a few pics ago) and specifically with the Avi(oni)ans / bird-people with the idea of perhaps doing a few entries something like this, showing "named" characters of a given race / location, as well as sort of generic / army-builder examples for that race / location. I'm not entirely sure how successful this particular layout is ... I think I'm going to have to play with it some more.

In theory I could update each "entry" as I did more relevant characters for that particular location. As a side note, I'm still not quite sure what I want to do with Delora.

EDIT4:

While I've been playing with the Avians, I came up with a fan-character (technically, a trio of fan-characters, I suppose). Here's Cumulos, Heroic Champion of Avion, with his sons Cirros and Nimbos. He'd be kind of a cross between Vultan (from Flash Gordon) and Thor. I'd give him the blue battle-axe from the old Weapons Pak, but have it be kind of like Mjolnir. His armor would be ancestral (and would tie in to some ideas I have for Preternian Avion).

The family is named (like Stratos) after basic types of clouds.

I see him as kind of jolly and fun most of the time, but if you make him mad or assault Avion, he (literally) brings the thunder. I feel like he saw Hawke's potential as a young girl and started training her in the ways of war (giving her something in common with Teela).

I see them as Stratos' uncle and cousins. Cirros and Nimbos would be cocky, brash, and probably kind of annoying to Stratos, but would also be fiercely loyal and competent defenders of Avion.

In my backyard, the city-state of Avion is one of the larger and more powerful on Eternia, being comprised of several smaller cities or "Peaks", each governed (under Stratos / the king) by a different clan / tribe / family. Cumulos would govern one of those Peaks (I'd give it some kind of storm-inspired name, like "Blackcloud Peak" or something), one of the larger, more influential ones. I am toying with the idea of him as a sort of "high-priest" kind of figure ... I dunno. Anyway, that's what I got.
    Last edited by j-bird; March 25, 2020 at 08:17pm.

Totally Dyslexic
    Wow!

Itīs great that you regained your love for MOTU Art.

So much fabulous stuff.

Shokotis huge horns are great. I do miss the red cape. Iīm actually not a big cape fan but i liked the extra color it provided for her.

I really enjoy all your different Delora ideas and as much as i appreciate human Delora my favourite is the second from the right. The white thigh high boots look great.

And finally every Flash Gordon reference is a great thing in itself

The Avion art selection is excellent!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!!

Jafaristew...the guy that coined the term "200X."

Thanks Niki and JafariStew, it's fun to be back and I'm having fun playing with Avion.

Continuing that trend (there's not a ton more forthcoming with this sub-set), here are a couple tributes to a set of old custom figures that inspire me immensely. Back in the day, orgers galaxy warrior and skeletoncrew (I think) took the old Galaxy Warriors and Galaxy Fighters knock-off lines, mixed them with some MotU parts, and created CotU (Customs of the Universe). Anyway, that was their vision of the Powers of Grayskull Preternian era, and it has stuck with me ever since I first saw it. I could not help but incorporate it into my personal vision of Preternia.

As such, here are my "bootlegs" of the CotU versions Daton and Magnon.

I went more Avian (bird-man) with my versions, seeing them as the sons of Sunhawk and princes of Avion. The one wearing red and the other blue are precursors to the blue-and-red combo of modern Avion. Anyway, I had a lot of fun with them, so I hope y'all enjoy.

EDIT:
    Here are some variations I'm playing with for Sunhawk, Ancient Lord of Avion.

In the CotU canon, I believe they credited him as the creator of Point Dread. As such, and tying with the "sun" theme, I tried to use colors mimicking the Talon Fighter on the left-most version. I transitioned to more Stratos-like coloring on the next two, the only real difference being the color of his wings. The fourth version is somewhat more human / closer to Daton and Magnon. I'm leaning more toward the middle two versions, keeping him more full-on Avian with fur over more of his body. I'm toying with the idea of using my human version of Delora (in red with the dark hair, possibly calling her "D'lora" or something) as his queen, making Daton and Magnon half-human ... in short, I haven't quite got this all figured out yet.

EDIT2:
    Back with a more finished version of my fan-character Cumulos. I cleaned up some things and changed his armor, the armor of his ancestor Magnon.

EDIT3:
    A finished () version of Sunhawk, Lord of Avion during the time of King Grayskull, leading Avion to join the alliance against the Snake Men and the Horde by He-Ro.

I went with more "traditional" Avian colors (the red and blue combo), with a little gold in the wings ... I'm still not 100% sure this is where I want to be with him, but it's where I've landed for now.

I also did updated versions of Daton and Magnon, reflecting a half-human heritage and lack of physical wings. Their ability to fly would be a product of their Avian father and the ambient magic of the Staff / Egg of Avion.

The wings are a nod to the CotU idea of using translucent plastic on various pieces as a common "play feature" of the line.

EDIT4:

On a different note, here's my redesign of the old Filmation villain, The Toy Maker. His "demon name" is just a variation on "toymaker", but I used "cre" at the end instead of "ker" so the last part of his name is vaguely similar to the word "massacre".

I've re-imagined him as a minor demon who uses illusion to disguise himself as a friendly peddler to help him get close to his prey. There's probably something creepy / sinister about the toys he makes as well (they maybe talk to the people he gives them to or something, persuading them to go off alone where he can devour them). There's probably a sort of subtle hypnotic effect to his gaze and the lights on his "horns", sort of like an anglerfish or something.

His illusory disguise (i.e. his appearance from the old cartoon) can be seen in the background. I tried to keep the coloration similar to that of his disguise but still make it work, on the basis that he's a minor demon so the less his disguise has to change, the easier it is for him to maintain.

I imagine he's the subject of folktales, used by parents to frighten their children into obedience / teach them about the dangers posed by strangers (something along the lines of "be good, or the Toy Maker will get you").

Anyway, lots of words, but hopefully a fun revision to what was originally a relatively silly character (IMO).

Great characters here! Congratulations j-bird!

Quote Originally Posted by Granamir View Post
    Great characters here! Congratulations j-bird!
    Thank you, Granamir. You've been doing some nice stuff lately too!

Sticking with the Preternian / Powers of Grayskull era, here's an updated take on King Grayskull in my current style.

EDIT:

A slightly-updated version of King Grayskull, mostly in terms of the color scheme ... went a little more gray to further differentiate him from He-Man.

EDIT2:

My latest take on Chief Carnivus, this time based more on his MotU:C figure.

I like to skew the reds on Carnivus a little away from orange / toward purple, since he's got some purple in his look anyway ... I just like that balance better on a personal level.

EDIT3:

And just for fun an alternate (or "player 2", if you're old enough to be of a certain era) color scheme, one more like that of every other Qadian we saw in the MYP cartoon.

Last edited by j-bird; May 27, 2020 at 09:44pm.