Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Female-Driven TV Series/Movies

Favourite Female-Driven TV Series/Movies

I am a huge fan of equality, diversity and inclusiveness as well as movies and TV series where genders are equal, the casts are diverse and the stories are inclusive, but I do have a special fondness for strong female leads in popular culture.

Here are some of my favourites:

She-Ra: Princess Of Power
    She-Ra And The Princesses Of Power

Golden Girl And The Guardians Of The Gemstones

Punky Brewster (Live Action & Animated)

WINX Club

Disney Princess
    Disney Fairies

Bewitched
    Tabitha
    I Dream Of Jeannie

Charmed

Sabrina The Teenage Witch

Xena: Warrior Princess
    Cleopatra 2525

Jana Of The Jungle

Super Hero Girls

Wonder Woman
    Secrets Of Isis
    Supergirl
    Stargirl
    Batwoman

Here are some of my favourite female-driven movies:

Little Women
    Catwoman
    Wonder Woman
    Supergirl
    Hocus Pocus
    Gypsy
    Sister Act & Sister Act 2: Back In The Habit
    Troop Beverly Hills
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Definitely The Golden Girls. Those four ladies are hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkor View Post
    Definitely The Golden Girls. Those four ladies are hilarious.
    I can't believe I didn't think of The Golden Girls, I also loved Designing Women and Facts Of Life as well as The Nanny and Murder, She Wrote, Mystery Woman and Hailey Dean Mysteries.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

Unmotivated webcomicker KidTDragon's Avatar
    Number one without question: Daria.

Other TV shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, The Golden Girls, Magic Knight Rayearth, Dirty Pair, and The Adventures of Mini-Goddess (a.k.a. Ah! My Goddess: Being Small Is Convenient).

For movies: Aliens, Brave, Finding Dory, Inside Out, Just One of the Guys, Kill Bill, Moana, Pretty in Pink, Spirited Away, and what the hell, I'm gonna count Bumblebee because the main human is female.
    Track your MotU collection at shmax.com!

Almost Comics: Occasionally updated. Occasionally funny.

XBL Gamertag: KidTDragon
    PSN User ID: KidTDragon
    Nintendo Network ID: KidTDragon
    Steam: KidTDragon

Heroic Warrior
    Santanico Pandemonium (Salma Hayek) from From Dusk Til Dawn.

Nova (Linda Harrison) from Planet of the Apes (1968).

Sil (Natasha Henstridge) from Species.

Violet (Jaime Pressly) from Poison Ivy: The New Seduction.

Gina Carano - Any role, any character.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I am a huge fan of equality, diversity and inclusiveness as well as movies and TV series where genders are equal, the casts are diverse and the stories are inclusive, but I do have a special fondness for strong female leads in popular culture.

Here are some of my favourites:

She-Ra: Princess Of Power
    She-Ra And The Princesses Of Power

Golden Girl And The Guardians Of The Gemstones

Punky Brewster (Live Action & Animated)

WINX Club

Disney Princess
    Disney Fairies

Bewitched
    Tabitha
    I Dream Of Jeannie

Charmed

Sabrina The Teenage Witch

Xena: Warrior Princess
    Cleopatra 2525

Jana Of The Jungle

Super Hero Girls

Wonder Woman
    Secrets Of Isis
    Supergirl
    Stargirl
    Batwoman

Here are some of my favourite female-driven movies:

Little Women
    Catwoman
    Wonder Woman
    Supergirl
    Hocus Pocus
    Gypsy
    Sister Act & Sister Act 2: Back In The Habit
    Troop Beverly Hills
    Pretty sure Golden Girl And The Guardians Of The Gemstones didn't have a movie or TV series.

Catwoman? that movie sucked badly! *Pukes*
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

For film I’d choose Ripley from the Alien series. RIP Ian Holm.

Also, Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman.
    Last edited by Stinkor; June 21, 2020 at 09:35am.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkor View Post
    For film I’d choose Ridley from the Alien series. RIP Ian Holm.

Also, Gal Gadot’s Wonderful Woman.
    Only in the first 2 aliens, Ripley became an unlikable character in 3 and 4.
    Last edited by HarryCanyon; June 21, 2020 at 06:03pm.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Catwoman? that movie sucked badly! *Pukes*
    There's no excuse whatsoever for such blatant rudeness.

I love Catwoman and feel it is an amazing movie.

As for Golden Girl & The Guardians Of The Gemstones, I know there was no TV series or movie, but the toyline and books were so awesome, I always wish there were.

I am also looking forward to the new live action Mulan movie and the Wonder Woman 1984 sequel to the brilliant Wonder Woman movie.

Well, aside from the obvious in She-Ra:

Tenko and the Guardians of the Magic
    W.I.T.C.H.
    Xena, all the way up to the time skip.
    Sailor Moon

One of my favorite video games has been Horizon Zero Dawn.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Along with WINX Club and the spin-off series World Of WINX, there is also another spin-off based on the fairies spirit familiars the Pop Pixies. It would be awesome for the franchise to have another spin-off based on their aquatic familiars, the Selkies.

For reference, Daphne (Nymph Of Sirenix & Fairy Of Elements) and Roxy (Fairy Of Animals) did not have a Pixie or Selkie familiar.

As for the six main fairies, their Pixies and Selkies were:

Bloom (Fairy Of The Dragon Flame): Lockette (Pixie) & Serena (Selkie)
    Stella (Fairy Of The Shining Sun): Amore (Pixie) & Illyris (Selkie)
    Layla/Aisha (Fairy Of Waves): Piff (Pixie) & Lemmie (Selkie)
    Flora (Fairy Of Nature): Chatta (Pixie) & Daisy Ree (Selkie)

Musa and Tecna had TWO Pixies at different stages but only one Selkie each:

Musa (Fairy Of Music): Tune & Cherie (Pixies) & Sonar (Selkie)
    Tecna (Fairy Of Technology): Digit & Cara (Pixies) & Lythia (Selkie)

I still have no idea why they changed Layla's name to Aisha in later seasons.
    Last edited by Mikey; June 20, 2020 at 10:46pm.

There's no excuse whatsoever for such blatant rudeness.

I love Catwoman and feel it is an amazing movie.

As for Golden Girl & The Guardians Of The Gemstones, I know there was no TV series or movie, but the toyline and books were so awesome, I always wish there were.

I am also looking forward to the new live action Mulan movie and the Wonder Woman 1984 sequel to the brilliant Wonder Woman movie.
    I wasn't aware of there being any books either. I never owed any of the toys but they looked pretty...a lot better than the She-Ra toys in my opinion.

The Marvel Black Widow movie should be awesome.

I read that the eighth and final season of Arrow will pave the way for a new spin-off series Green Arrow And The Canaries which features the new generation of characters introduced in the seventh season and given a lot of air time in the final season. I am definitely looking forward to this new series.

*In August 2019, it was reported that another untitled spin-off was in development. In September, The Hollywood Reporter confirmed that The CW was developing a female-led spin-off series, with Katherine McNamara, Katie Cassidy, and Juliana Harkavy as the leads, reprising their roles from Arrow. The report also confirmed that an episode of Arrow's final season would serve as a "backdoor pilot" for the potential series. In October, Marc Guggenheim released an image indicating Green Arrow and the Canaries as the name for the new series. A couple weeks later, McNamara announced via Twitter that the backdoor pilot episode had begun filming. The episode aired on January 21, 2020.*

The problem is Catwoman is not a Catwoman movie as it originally was an original idea for a movie then the WB executives wanted to cash in on Batman Begins and slap a stamp on it.

One of the rules to make a comic book movie is Don't be afraid to be unfaithful sometimes:
    Don't be afraid to break from tradition. 'Blade' is another good example of a movie that was unfaithful to the source material, but faithful to its spirit. It jettisoned the stuffy, old-fashioned vampires of the comics, removed Blade from his British roots, and created a fresh take on a dusty old character. If you have something that might work and makes for interesting viewing, go for it!

At the same time, don't go too far. When you start messing around with the DNA of these characters, sometimes things turn out extraordinarily poorly. Remember 'Catwoman'? It borrowed the name and part of the gimmick of the DC Comics character before spinning off into another direction entirely. If you come up with what you think is a hit script that features a comics character, but the only thing it shares with the source material is a name, then just change the name to something new. There's no point in it being based on a comic if it's completely different. If you're going to adapt a work, adapt it. Don't just change it to something else and stamp a name on it

The problem is Catwoman is not a Catwoman movie as it originally was an original idea for a movie then the WB executives wanted to cash in on Batman Begins and slap a stamp on it.

One of the rules to make a comic book movie is Don't be afraid to be unfaithful sometimes:
    Don't be afraid to break from tradition. 'Blade' is another good example of a movie that was unfaithful to the source material, but faithful to its spirit. It jettisoned the stuffy, old-fashioned vampires of the comics, removed Blade from his British roots, and created a fresh take on a dusty old character. If you have something that might work and makes for interesting viewing, go for it!

At the same time, don't go too far. When you start messing around with the DNA of these characters, sometimes things turn out extraordinarily poorly. Remember 'Catwoman'? It borrowed the name and part of the gimmick of the DC Comics character before spinning off into another direction entirely. If you come up with what you think is a hit script that features a comics character, but the only thing it shares with the source material is a name, then just change the name to something new. There's no point in it being based on a comic if it's completely different. If you're going to adapt a work, adapt it. Don't just change it to something else and stamp a name on it
    Pretty sure Catwoman was made and came out before Batman Begins.
    Come to think of it, it could also be said that Batman Begins was also only a Batman movie in name only.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Pretty sure Catwoman was made and came out before Batman Begins.
    Come to think of it, it could also be said that Batman Begins was also only a Batman movie in name only.
    And Batman 1989 and Batman Returns, Batman TAS are more true Batman stuff?

And Batman 1989 and Batman Returns, Batman TAS are more true Batman stuff?
    Yes and enjoyable movies. Batman TAS was awesome. Also the animated movies were great.

Heroic Warrior
    MotU movie was closer to source material than CW

even B89 took liberties re : who killed Batmans parents
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

Heroic Warrior
    The Long Kiss Good Night, Dirty Pair and Bubbblegum Crisis.

I don't know if it really qualifies as being female driven but Robotech was a great series which had a lot of female characters and the main character in season 2 being female.
    In fact unlike a lot of 80s toylines which omitted making the female characters, Robotech made seven (3 variants of one character) which is pretty significant in a line of 22 figures which covered three seperate seasons with different main chracters in each season.

I wasn't aware of there being any books either. I never owed any of the toys but they looked pretty...a lot better than the She-Ra toys in my opinion.
    Here is a selection of Golden Girl books from this amazing website:

https://www.ghostofthedoll.co.uk/goldengirl-books.php

Here is a selection of Golden Girl books from this amazing website:

https://www.ghostofthedoll.co.uk/goldengirl-books.php
    Awesome. The cover art looks great.

If you are interested in a female lead fantasy movie you really should watch Red Sonja.

Awesome. The cover art looks great.

If you are interested in a female lead fantasy movie you really should watch Red Sonja.
    I actually saw Red Sonja a very long time ago and it was very good, it would have been around the same time as I saw whichever Conan movie had Grace Jones as Zula. Again, this was a very long time ago.

One of the reasons I did NOT like the remake of Clash Of The Titans is because the female characters were so marginalised and hardly had any impact on the story. In the original movie, Andromeda (Judi Bowker) was quite feisty in some scenes and The Goddesses - Hera (Claire Bloom), Thetis (Dame Maggie Smith), and especially Athene (Susan Fleetwood) were quite strong characters. Aphrodite (Ursula Andress) admittedly did not have a strong presence in the movie and only had one line, and Sian Phillips as Queen Cassiopeia was an interesting character.

I actually saw Red Sonja a very long time ago and it was very good, it would have been around the same time as I saw whichever Conan movie had Grace Jones as Zula. Again, this was a very long time ago.

One of the reasons I did NOT like the remake of Clash Of The Titans is because the female characters were so marginalised and hardly had any impact on the story. In the original movie, Andromeda (Judi Bowker) was quite feisty in some scenes and The Goddesses - Hera (Claire Bloom), Thetis (Dame Maggie Smith), and especially Athene (Susan Fleetwood) were quite strong characters. Aphrodite (Ursula Andress) admittedly did not have a strong presence in the movie and only had one line, and Sian Phillips as Queen Cassiopeia was an interesting character.
    That's Conan The Destroyer. It is good but so really enjoy Conan The Barbarian.

Sian Phillips is great Ewoks the Battle For Endor. Great movie.

I like the original Clash of the Titans movie. The remake and sequel were pretty awful.
    Did you know the Pegasus toy was re-tooled for the She-Ra toyline.