Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame: 1986-Present

Dominique Davalos should be inducted as well, she has been in some amazing rock bands like The Delphines, The Blue Bonnets, Drag, just to name a few, with some awesome songs like Sex In Japan, P***ing In The Wind, Los Angeles, She's Got A Revolver, Do Not Disturb, Losing My Man and more.

Dynasty Masters Universe DynastyMasters's Avatar
    This could be a sign that Tina Turner solo will be nominated for the 2021 Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. Ike and Tina Turner were inducted in 1991.

Josh [email protected]
    Nothing says “sham” quite like the @rockhall sending out membership postcards with a picture of Tina Turner on them who they refuse to induct as a solo artist!!
    This is some bad form Rock Hall.

https://twitter.com/JoshF618/status/1320391580243709955

DYNASTY AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE
    http://www.dynastyandthemastersofthe...e.blogspot.com

I believe The Go-Go's and The Bangles all deserve to be in the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame as full bands, but I also believe that at least Belinda Carlisle as a solo performer should be inducted as she has had a very successful solo career.

Tina Turner as a solo induction is good, but long overdue and too late already. It's time to tell HOF to shove it and end the whole thing. the whole purpose for their Hall of Fame is meaningless as time goes by.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    Tina Turner as a solo induction is good, but long overdue and too late already. It's time to tell HOF to shove it and end the whole thing. the whole purpose for their Hall of Fame is meaningless as time goes by.
    I totally agree. There are many bands that have been eligible for decades that deserve to be inducted but have continually been ignored because the Rolling Stone boomer staff don't personally like them while many far less deserving or even downright questionable artists got in.

These continual idiotic choices have led to the HOF's ever increasing level of disdain and irrelevancy.
    Last edited by Durendal; October 30, 2020 at 10:31am.

Quote Originally Posted by DynastyMasters View Post
    Whether you’re a fan of Reznor or not the man was a genius
    I remember wearing out the Broken EP as a teen
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

Special Guest Stars Announced For THE ROCK & ROLL HALL OF FAME 2020 INDUCTIONS Debuting November 7 at 8 PM On HBO

https://pressroom.warnermedia.com/ca...ing-november-7

THE PRESENTERS FOR THE 2020 ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME INDUCTEES

Bruce Springsteen for Jon Landau.

Don Henley for Irving Azoff.

Ringo Starr for T. Rex.

Charlize Theron for Depeche Mode.

Luke Bryan for The Doobie Brothers.

Alicia Keys for Whitney Houston.

Iggy Pop for Nine Inch Nails.

Sean "Diddy" Combs for the Notorious B.I.G.

- - - Updated - - -

THE 2020 ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME INDUCTION CEREMONY TONIGHT AT 8 ON HBO AND HBOMAX

https://www.hbo.com/specials/rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame

https://www.hbomax.com

- - - Updated - - -

Watch here - http://123tvnow.com/watch/hbo/

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited by DynastyMasters; November 7, 2020 at 11:22pm.

With The Go-Go's and The Bangles now recipients of the She Rocks award, now would be the perfect time to induct both bands into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    With The Go-Go's and The Bangles now recipients of the She Rocks award, now would be the perfect time to induct both bands into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.
    Good lord, I hope not. They maybe had one good song each, terrible bands otherwise. So many other deserving bands should come first.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Good lord, I hope not. They maybe had one good song each, terrible bands otherwise. So many other deserving bands should come first.
    The Go-Go's and The Bangles are the most brilliant and talented all-female bands ever, comprised of the most talented singers, songwriters and instrumentalists who ever graced rock and roll. Belinda Carlisle, Charlotte Caffey, Jane Wiedlin, Kathy Valentine, Gina Schock, Susanna Hoffs, Vicki Peterson, Debbi Peterson and Michael Steele are the epitome of women in rock and deserve to be inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame more than anyone.The same goes for Abby Travis who has worked with both bands.
    Last edited by Uki; January 26, 2021 at 09:32am.

Heroic Warrior Granamyr's Helmet's Avatar
    I'm a hard rock guitar player (more in the Van Halen style) but always really liked both the Go-Go's and the Bangles a lot (Belinda Carlisle's solo career too!) In fact, I remember trying to get my old band to add a Bangles tune to our setlist on more than once occasion.

I think it's great they got the She Rocks award, and honestly, I think that's better than the R&R HOF since the Hall of Fame seems to have a thing against so many truly legendary rock bands that keep getting snubbed year after year (which I see has been discussed a lot here). But I know what you mean, it's nice to see the really good bands get some recognition!

Quote Originally Posted by Granamyr's Helmet View Post
    I'm a hard rock guitar player (more in the Van Halen style) but always really liked both the Go-Go's and the Bangles a lot (Belinda Carlisle's solo career too!) In fact, I remember trying to get my old band to add a Bangles tune to our setlist on more than once occasion.

I think it's great they got the She Rocks award, and honestly, I think that's better than the R&R HOF since the Hall of Fame seems to have a thing against so many truly legendary rock bands that keep getting snubbed year after year (which I see has been discussed a lot here). But I know what you mean, it's nice to see the really good bands get some recognition!
    Thanks for your kind words and enthusiasm, Granamyr's Helmet. This means a lot to me, as The Go-Go's and The Bangles mean a lot to me for so many reasons. I LOVE all the various members' solo careers and other projects with artists as diverse as Anna Waronker, Petra Haden, Meredith Brooks, Gia Ciambotti, Abby Travis (as I mentioned earlier), Dominique Davalos, Susan Cowsill, and Siobhan Maher-Kennedy, all of whom I've come to know and love through the two core bands.

I also discovered other new favourite artists like Suzy Bogguss, Martina McBride, Gretchen Peters, Beth Nielsen Chapman and Matraca Berg because they appeared on Christmas compilation albums with Belinda & Charlotte and Debbi & Siobhan.
    Last edited by Uki; January 26, 2021 at 09:31am.

Quote Originally Posted by DynastyMasters View Post
    The Shangri-Las, The Runaways, The Go-Go's, and The Bangles will be the first all-white female groups to be inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. The question is when.

[b]THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME INDUCTEES

ALL WHITE MALE GROUPS

13. 1994 – The Band

Robbie Robertson is Indigenous Canadian.

16. 1996 – Jefferson Airplane

Grace Slick.

38. 2007 – Van Halen

The Van Halen brothers are half Indonesian.

39. 2009 – Metallica

Kirk Hammet is Filipino. Robert Trujillo is Mexican American.

41. 2008 – The Ventures

Nokie Edwards is Cherokee Indian.

46. 2012 – Beastie Boys

Kate Schellenbach was a founding member.

47. 2012 – Guns N’ Roses

Slash is half black.

52. 2012 – The Comets

Founding member Johnny Grande was Mexican American.

55. 2014 – Nirvana

Pat Smear is half black.

56. 2015 – Green Day

Mike Dirnt is Native American.
    Just pointing out that some of the bands you listed aren't all white or male. There's also the question of what constitutes "white"? Are we not counting Israeli and Middle Easterners? That would knock Kiss, Lovin' Spoonful and RHCP off the list. Daryl Jones has been with the Rolling Stones for 20 years, but he's not a " full" member.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.

A positive side of threads like this is they remind me of artists I need to go back and listen to. I love the Bangles' cover of "Hazy Shade of Winter", was playing along to it on guitar last night.

Went back and listened to the "Different Light" album this morning, great stuff, I like a lot of stuff they wrote themselves, but hey, when you've got someone like Prince contributing a song, that works too That's part of why I think they're musically legit in my mind...they wrote their own stuff, but on some of the big singles with the outside writers, they still had their own sound.

I did NOT realize that Michael Steele was a founding member of the Runaways, leaving just before the first album. But that was the LA rock band scene back then in the late 70's/early 80's, musicians were in and out of each others bands all the time prior to getting signed and their breakthrough albums out.

While we all have our personal tastes and artists we're passionate about, being a hardcore musician myself I feel like music is not a contest. It should be an escape from the stresses of life, and enjoyment at it's purest. It's fun to debate artists' musical merits and historical importance and all that for sure, but if music personally means a lot to someone, that's all that matters at the end of the day.

Mod-Note:

Gang, we are all entitled to our opinions. Let's not take them as personal affronts, and let's remember to keep things civil, respectful, and on-topic, veering away from Tar Swamp material. These are not new Forum Rules, and no one should need to be reminded of them.

Cary on!
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

A positive side of threads like this is they remind me of artists I need to go back and listen to. I love the Bangles' cover of "Hazy Shade of Winter", was playing along to it on guitar last night.

Went back and listened to the "Different Light" album this morning, great stuff, I like a lot of stuff they wrote themselves, but hey, when you've got someone like Prince contributing a song, that works too That's part of why I think they're musically legit in my mind...they wrote their own stuff, but on some of the big singles with the outside writers, they still had their own sound.

I did NOT realize that Michael Steele was a founding member of the Runaways, leaving just before the first album. But that was the LA rock band scene back then in the late 70's/early 80's, musicians were in and out of each others bands all the time prior to getting signed and their breakthrough albums out.

While we all have our personal tastes and artists we're passionate about, being a hardcore musician myself I feel like music is not a contest. It should be an escape from the stresses of life, and enjoyment at it's purest. It's fun to debate artists' musical merits and historical importance and all that for sure, but if music personally means a lot to someone, that's all that matters at the end of the day.
    Thanks Granamyr's Helmet, it's great to hear from you. I think I have just found a new friend.

I love The Bangles version of Hazy Shade Of Winter as well.

You should check out Susanna Hoffs & Matthew Sweet's series of Under The Covers albums as well, a three album homage to music from the 60's-80's.

Susanna also wrote one of Bette Midler's loveliest songs, The Gift Of Love.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    You should check out Susanna Hoffs & Matthew Sweet's series of Under The Covers albums as well, a three album homage to music from the 60's-80's.
    I just checked this out...is it bad that I like their version of Cinnamon Girl better than Neil Young's?

Appreciate the recommendation!

I just checked this out...is it bad that I like their version of Cinnamon Girl better than Neil Young's?

Appreciate the recommendation!
    I feel exactly the same way about these wonderful covers, Susanna and Matthew are divine! I also love their version of The Go-Go's Our Lips Are Sealed.

Heroic Warrior
    Get Cher in the hall of fame, 55 years in the business, 30 albums covering most genres plus hugely successful tours, tv shows and tv specials. Ok so she’s the so called ‘goddess of pop’ which isn’t really rock n roll but still. I could go all mental and list the charity work she does etc etc but I won’t cos I’m a Cher fan and think she is amazing but that’s my opinion and probably not yours.

Quote Originally Posted by dan1980 View Post
    Get Cher in the hall of fame, 55 years in the business, 30 albums covering most genres plus hugely successful tours, tv shows and tv specials. Ok so she’s the so called ‘goddess of pop’ which isn’t really rock n roll but still. I could go all mental and list the charity work she does etc etc but I won’t cos I’m a Cher fan and think she is amazing but that’s my opinion and probably not yours.
    I feel exactly the same about Bette Midler, she can rock and roll and perform soul-stirring ballads.

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    Mod-Note:

Gang, we are all entitled to our opinions. Let's not take them as personal affronts, and let's remember to keep things civil, respectful, and on-topic, veering away from Tar Swamp material. These are not new Forum Rules, and no one should need to be reminded of them.

Cary on!
    Yes but when we are beaten over our heads about the same thing over & over it get's redundant Right?

Anyway, I'm not the only one who believes The Go-Go's should be inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. I've come across many articles and opinion sites that believe they deserve the accolades and prestige that come with induction. Ideally I would love to see The Bangles inducted as well, but I will be just as happy if The Go-Go's are inducted first and The Bangles are honoured as well someday.

https://www.goldderby.com/article/20...ame-induction/
    Last edited by Mikey; January 30, 2021 at 11:36pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    Just pointing out that some of the bands you listed aren't all white or male. There's also the question of what constitutes "white"? Are we not counting Israeli and Middle Easterners? That would knock Kiss, Lovin' Spoonful and RHCP off the list. Daryl Jones has been with the Rolling Stones for 20 years, but he's not a " full" member.
    Oh wow, I never knew that a Robbie Robertson was indigenous Canadian, I knew he was Canadian though. The Last a waltz is a great live concert.

Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post
    Oh wow, I never knew that a Robbie Robertson was indigenous Canadian, I knew he was Canadian though. The Last a waltz is a great live concert.
    Yeah, he's of Mohawk descent if I remember correctly. I know he grew up on a reservation which he detailed in his biography Testament. It's a pretty good read if you're a fan of The Band. The Last Waltz is one of my favorite concert movies of all time.
    Most wanted Origins figures: Mighty Spector, Fisto's Cousin's Babysitter, and Mer-Man's Seventh Grade Crush.