Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Casting solutions

There was a picture in the Toronto Sunday Sun of John Cena as He-Man. They pasted his face on Filmation's He-Man, and it was pretty amusing. The article said he would most likely be cast as He-Man (I won't hold my breath), and the article talked about how there are no more "muscle men" in Hollywood (ala Stallone and Arnold) these days.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marvelous0ne View Post
    Why? They'll be having 2 different actors to play Captain Marvel in the film that is to be made. One teen and One adult. The same for He-Man if it is ever done.
    The adult actor who is playing the role of Captain Marvel cannot play the role of 12 year old Billy Batson as convincingly as the adult actor who is playing the role of He-Man can play the role of 16-18 year old Prince Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelous0ne View Post
    Sorry but having the same actor to play He-Man won't work. This isn't Superman.
    I do not see why it will not.

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    There is this thing called a transformation sequence that will show the audience that they are the same person. Not to mention dialog that will no doubt go on between whomever and Adam saying not to tell people you are He-Man.

There are people who do not think that Prince Adam and He-Man are the same person, but that they switch places during the transformation sequence. The same is true for Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno:

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    It's also worked and been believable in the Hulk, both in the tv series, cartoons and multiple movies (the first of which sucked but for reasons other than the transformation). The Captain Marvel example is another good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    Yes, I do. I don't think that audiences are going to sit through a movie where there is a whole planet of brain-dead fools who can't tell that 2 identical people are actually the same person, because one wears a vest and the other wears a harness.

Superman gets a free ride because he is so well known and the silliness of the glasses thing is accepted worldwide. He-Man doesn't have that going for it anymore. Plus Superman at least has the sense to change his hair style and wear glasses whereas the best He-Man does is get a bit of a tan.
    If the physical transformation is limited to a simple change of wardrobe, you might have an argument.
    Last edited by Adam_Prince of Eternia; March 19, 2008 at 10:41pm. Reason: vB code

I mean no offense to anyone here, as I try to respect everyone's opinion. But if we get a live-action Masters of the Universe with a CGI HE MAN, I may have to single-handedly hunt down and kill everyone that has anything to do with the film. Likewise, if we get a movie that looks like that hunk of dung, Beowulf, I may be driven to tear my own skin off. CGI has come a long way, but not enough to make a believable human character. Just take a look at the butt-vampires from I Am Legend.

As far as the casting goes, I do think John Cena could do it. Just give him a good acting coach. I don't think the role would be too tough for him, and I think he's as close as we'll get to the perfect build. On the other hand, I'd be more inclined to suggest someone like Christian Bale (think American Psycho, but with blond hair and a better tan), but that's a bit unlikely. Still, someone with that kind of build would be great. If we wanted a big star, Brad Pitt is okay, but Matt Damon might be better.
    "I damned the world to save my daughter once... and I will do it for her again."
    I do custom action figures, commissioned art, and I will make any Masters of the Universe costume, tailored to you!
    View my website! http://www.havocstaff.50megs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vahn View Post
    If we wanted a big star, Brad Pitt is okay, but Matt Damon might be better.
    Now we're just getting silly. Matt Damon as He-man??? Who next... Napoleon Dynamite?

SirBushnell SPEAKS!

Get ready for a future with a magical blend of science fiction and fantasy. A brand new legend. A whole new war.
    It's coming...

Funny you mention Matt Damon as He-Man...we've already seen his pal Ben Affleck as Superman [Hollywoodland].
    As to Cena's face, well...have him grow his hair out, maybe take attention away from it

I'm thinking Cena would be up for doing his own stunts, the way Dolph Lundgren did since it'd be hard to find a body double.
    Last edited by Money$hot; March 20, 2008 at 05:30am.
    ...and I'm spent...

Mandola [my band!]

Well, casting is complete on Street Fighter so maybe casting will begin on MOTU pretty soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Money$hot View Post
    As to Cena's face, well...have him grow his hair out, maybe take attention away from it

Dolph seemed to do fine with short hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    There are people who do not think that Prince Adam and He-Man are the same person, but that they switch places during the transformation sequence. The same is true for Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno.
    I have no doubt there will be clueless people. There are people who cannot even get the simplest plot even to a movie. All it takes is good writing and a nice transformation sequence and two different actors can play Adam/He-Man. I'm not saying it has to be done that way, but it is possible.
    -Jon

The First He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

Heroic sculptor of toys Battle_Brak's Avatar
    I have to say I'm pretty tolerant of casting decisions, but if they cast Cena as He-man I would not watch it. I wouldn't even rent it when it came out on video. I might catch a few minutes when it airs on late night TV a year later lol.

But hopefully that won't happen
    Check out my artwork: https://aarondoyle.artstation.com/

Here is what He-Man's build should be similar to. I'm not implying that these guys should play He-Man, but it's similar to what he should look like.
    Last edited by *He-Man*; May 5, 2008 at 09:28pm.

Yeah but are we gonna be able to find a man that large and be an actor too? I guess it could happen. I dunno.

BTW the second pic looks like the guy is checkin for belly button lint
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by *He-Man* View Post
    Here is what He-Man's build should be similar to. I'm not implying that these guys should play He-Man, but it's similar to what he should look like.
    Ain't that the currant Strong Man champion? He's a big dude!
    I'm all for big muscles but guys with this much muscle are too squat looking in my opinion.
    I think the ideal He-man needs to longer in frame.

Is muscle mass the most important aspect of the character? I'm really sorry if you think so, but to me that's not so important as his soul. He's got to be a force of good, a hero that isn't full of bitter angst. As far as his body goes in that respect, I think a leaner actor would be more sympathetic. He-Man isn't the Hulk or the Thing, both disfigured characters, and comparing him to them isn't right in my view. John Millius said that for Conan he had to cast people bigger than Arnold to be his enemies because people who were the same size as him didn't look like a credible threat. I'd go further and say that the bigger a more monstrous a physique, the less an audience can identify with the character. We can care about the Hulk or King Kong, but He-Man isn't supposed to be a big misunderstood behemoth! He's an ideal man, the way we all should be. I don't think He-Man should look like he struts around in a speedo flexing his muscles when he's not "acting" in a movie. He's going to have to be attractive to the audience as well as have the gravity to keep our interest throughout the story. I'd put more value in his presence than in his time at the gym.

I don't think he needs to be "new" per say either. Hayden Christensen was new, but that didn't make his Anakin real great. I wouldn't be upset to see someone like Tom Welling in the part (though I find him only adequate on Smallville, so not exactly my first choice). I was very impressed by how far they've come with the all CG look in Beowulf. If they did a Masters of the Universe movie that way, it'd be something great. I'd much prefer them following that look over following the look of 300.
    Last edited by gbagok; March 22, 2008 at 10:16am.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Is muscle mass the most important aspect of the character? I'm really sorry if you think so, but to me that's not so important as his soul. He's got to be a force of good, a hero that isn't full of bitter angst. As far as his body goes in that respect, I think a leaner actor would be more sympathetic. He-Man isn't the Hulk or the Thing, both disfigured characters, and comparing him to them isn't right in my view. John Millius said that for Conan he had to cast people bigger than Arnold to be his enemies because people who were the same size as him didn't look like a credible threat. I'd go further and say that the bigger a more monstrous a physique, the less an audience can identify with the character. We can care about the Hulk or King Kong, but He-Man isn't supposed to be a big misunderstood behemoth! He's an ideal man, the way we all should be. I don't think He-Man should look like he struts around in a speedo flexing his muscles when he's not "acting" in a movie. He's going to have to be attractive to the audience as well as have the gravity to keep our interest throughout the story. I'd put more value in his presence than in his time at the gym.

I don't think he needs to be "new" per say either. Hayden Christensen was new, but that didn't make his Anakin real great. I wouldn't be upset to see someone like Tom Welling in the part (though I find him only adequate on Smallville, so not exactly my first choice). I was very impressed by how far they've come with the all CG look in Beowulf. If they did a Masters of the Universe movie that way, it'd be something great. I'd much prefer them following that look over following the look of 300.
    Arnold did Conan, Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) did the Scorpion King. Big people CAN be good guys. The only reason a big guy would not portray a sympathetic moral good guy is if the director and script writer didn't do their job right. The actor is going to portray whatever the role calls for.

Well then whay call him "He-man" then gbagok!!
    You can't have a character by that name and not have some sort of muscles going on.
    He-man doesn't have the luxury of having great stories written about him like Superman or even Conan. So aside form "look both ways when crossing the street" and the odd climpse of a real person in MYP's show, He-man is not what we'd call an in depth character.
    I agree that I think he can have the qualities of a true hero be but the idea that stripping him of his what makes him an icon (namely his physic) is stupid. Call it something else if that's the case. He-man is remembered for being a big dude.
    Folks have a habit of injecting their own versions of things into MOTU that aren't accurate to what the property was intended to be.

I agree that I don't want a Dorian Yates or those strong men for He-man, but the guy has to look the part. This requires muscles.

I for one think MOTU deserves the live motion picture treatment over CG and 300 is one way in MOTU could be best executed I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by *He-Man* View Post
    Arnold did Conan, Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) did the Scorpion King. Big people CAN be good guys. The only reason a big guy would not portray a sympathetic moral good guy is if the director and script writer didn't do their job right. The actor is going to portray whatever the role calls for.
    They're not so big as I think people here are wanting He-Man to be. And again, if your hero is big, your villains simply have to be bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Pig Boy View Post
    Well then whay call him "He-man" then gbagok!!
    You can't have a character by that name and not have some sort of muscles going on.
    I didn't say no muscles going on, but in no way does he have to be like the pictures I'm seeing on here.

He-man doesn't have the luxury of having great stories written about him like Superman or even Conan. So aside form "look both ways when crossing the street" and the odd climpse of a real person in MYP's show, He-man is not what we'd call an in depth character.
    There are plenty of good stories about him, but no one should settle for a flat character or a shallow movie. I would expect any writer to put more thought into it than that. I don't think you can say Superman had great stories about him either until the symbolism was taken more seriously in the Donner film. Even the Conan movie, which departed from the way the character was done in the books, had depth. You're saying a He-Man movie doesn't need to have such ambition? Even if we're talking about a vision unique to the filmmaker, I think the character takes precedence over the muscles. I'd rather see someone who can be pumped up with physical trainers or even CGI rather than a weight lifter who just flexes at the camera. There was a made for TV Hercules movie with a guy like that--absolute junk.

I agree that I think he can have the qualities of a true hero be but the idea that stripping him of his what makes him an icon (namely his physic) is stupid.
    I didn't say stripping him of the physique. Leaner doesn't mean skinny. But I think all this talk about the physique is overshadowing what's more important, the soul of the character. No matter how big a guy is, if he's bland then no one cares. Ask Dolph about it.

I for one think MOTU deserves the live motion picture treatment over CG and 300 is one way in MOTU could be best executed I reckon.
    It could be like 300, but I reckon it deserves to actually be a good movie like Beowulf.

I think we are basically saying the same thing man!
    He-man needs to have depth and not just a beefcake.
    I think Jason Lewis with a bit of weight gain would make a great He-man for instance. Sure I'd like bigger like Arnie size (which is not the dudes pictured) but it ain't gonna happen!

Though I do question how folks can like MOTU and not like 300!!!
    I love both Beowulf and 300.

He-Man does not have to be a grotesque monster that flexes at the camera... But he does have to be "impressive". If he flexes at the camera, I'm sure it's not because the director told him to. Anyhow, there are some pretty big dudes out there. Look at Boagrius from Troy... He could play Beastman or some other villain. Truthfully, I think that many of the villains will have to be made with CG, there's no way around it.

Many fans are going to have to face the fact that CG will be used for much of the movie. PERIOD. You just can't compete with the Box Office anymore without CG, unless you're making a chic-flick.
    If it has action, or monsters, or futuristic gizmos, you can count on it... And MOTU has all the above. The only hard part is going to be getting a good plot, good acting, and a good storyline/dialogue in the mix.

I don't care how much money a company spends on special effects, if you don't have a good script and a good director the movie will suck. Look at movies like Van Helsing. Lots of computer work, little on storyline/acting/dialogue/ETC. And if that isn't enough, they tried to do so much with the special effects, and there was so much going on, that the special effects sucked.

Just for me... I don't think He-Man needs to be over the top huge.
    But I do agree he needs to be impressive in his physique.

My wife and I caught a glimpse of the new american gladiators a couple of times, and every time we saw Titan, we would comment on how perfect he would be for He-Man. He also looks quite tall when compared to the contestants and the other Gladiators. I don't know his stats, but I'd say he's close if not over 6 feet tall.

I even think he's got a great face for He-Man... Heroic and strong, yet still a kindness to his eye. He LOOKS like he'd be a great hero and role model.

I Don't know if he can act... But at least in physique and look I think he definitely, visually fits the part.

EDIT: OH! Mike O'Hearn is his name, and apparently he has done some acting stuff. Can't say though if it's of any quality. But he has been Mr. Universe a number of times and he was Superman I think in that fan made Superman and Batman piece that made it's way around the internet.
    I know in that Superman bit... I wasn't so much impressed with the acting, but boy he did have a great look for Superman. *shrugs*

Here's that "worlds finest" fan made movie trailer.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

There's something about O'Hearn face that I don't like.
    But hey, an Irish man for He-man is always a good thing!

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    There's something about O'Hearn face that I don't like.
    But hey, an Irish man for He-man is always a good thing!
    He looks like he has had cosmetic surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    I Don't know if he can act... But at least in physique and look I think he definitely, visually fits the part.
    Yeah, his acting is not so good, but physically I'd be OK with someone like that.

Any more artificially pumped-looking than someone like him would get a big thumbs down from me.

Apparently from his website... His size is all natural.

Boy's got good genetics then.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

He'd be a good choice, and I've actually seen a couple of his direct-to-video movies
    Not a strong actor, but he can be coached and at least he's got some experience in the fantasy genre. I only mentioned Cena before because of the name recognition which could help the movie, but O'Hearn is an okay choice. Especially if they want to go with a not-well-known actor like they did w/ Brandon Routh for Superman.
    As far as cosmetic surgery...well He-Man's always been plastic
    Last edited by Money$hot; March 26, 2008 at 02:33am.
    ...and I'm spent...

Mandola [my band!]

Jason Lewis could bulk up enough to play the role? He's built leaner than (or at least as lean as) Brad Pitt, whom it was said didn't have a prayer. I agree, he's got a great face for the role, but if one is going to discount Brad Pitt based on physique (not star-level/overpowering the role issues), you've got to disqualify Lewis for the same reason. Their body-types are basically interchangeable.

Please note: I'm not saying I do or do not want either of the above-mentioned actors to play the role (although I'm sure I'd go see the movie if it was either of them).

But really, if all the guys from "300" could get into that kind of shape, the options are pretty open in my opinion. He-Man doesn't have to be any buffer (more buff?) than that. He does, however, have to be ripped.