Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MYP MOTU Series on Blu Ray

MYP MOTU Series on Blu Ray

Hey there. Back before volume one was about to be released there was talk about them releasing the series on Blu Ray and since then I have heard no news on this. I have been holding out on buying these sets because I was waiting for the Blu Ray release. I mean vol 3 is about to come out and still now word on the Blu Ray release?

Does anyone know anything on this? Im looking for any sort of confirmation. Either they are coming out with the series on Blu Ray and I have to wait a little longer or there will be no Blu Ray release in which case I can go out and buy the sets now.
    Saving the Galaxy so you wont have to.

Yes, I've been holding out as well. Hoping for some news soon.

Heroic Warrior
    The last mention of it was by BCI Guy here:

link

I'm guessing that shortly after volume three is released we'll get some info. I would be surprised if anything concrete is revealed before volume three his shelves. Gotta sell the DVDs first and then get a double-dip on the blu-ray release, yknow.

I'm anxiously looking forward to the blu-rays myself.

I'm still gonna buy the DVD's but once it comes out on Blue Ray, I'm gonna have to buy it...its Blue Ray!!! The whole collection on 1 or 2 discs! YEAH!

On a side note, do you think they'll start putting entire cartoon collections on Blue Ray? Like Thundercats, Transformers or classic MOTU? It would save so much space and would be really, really cool to have the entire collection on like 2 discs!

Quote Originally Posted by LionO View Post
    The whole collection on 1 or 2 discs! YEAH!
    But it won't be on 1 or 2 discs. That would work if we were only putting Standard Def episodes on Blu-Ray discs to conserve space, but HD episodes take up a lot more space.

If you look at most TV shows that are out in both formats, they usually have the same number of discs.

On a side note, do you think they'll start putting entire cartoon collections on Blue Ray? Like Thundercats, Transformers or classic MOTU? It would save so much space and would be really, really cool to have the entire collection on like 2 discs!
    I doubt we'll see it anytime soon. Blu-Ray is such a niche market right now (composed of people who want the best quality), that there just isn't a demand for standard def on BR.

LionO why would you do something like that? Your just throwing money away. I hate that their doing this. They are withholding any news on the Blu Rays because they want naive fans to go ahead and buy the sets and then as soon as all the sets are out then the anounce the Blu Ray release.

Then the people who have Blu Ray players but already bought the SD DVD's just wasted their money. I hate the DVD Double Dip it's so manipulative. LionO your playing right into their greedy little hands.

Heroic Warrior
    Could say a similar thing of you, RONDC. Why would you wait just for a high-def. release (as everything of the Set is likely to be the same, other than some picture-definition difference).

I'm getting the DVDs as they come, as I want the show.

Quote Originally Posted by JonDaMan View Post
    Could say a similar thing of you, RONDC. Why would you wait just for a high-def. release (as everything of the Set is likely to be the same, other than some picture-definition difference).

I'm getting the DVDs as they come, as I want the show.
    Are you for real ?? The image on the BD will be awesome! BCI_Guy said months ago when these were announced that he saw a sample of the HD source and that we would be blown away from the quality..The image looked (correct me if I dont remember correctly his words) more 3D with colours making the image looking more in-depth.
    As far as the EXTRAS in concerned, BCI_Guy said they are still looking into the potentials of the Blu-ray technology. Meaning that you guys in the US (since the BD WILL be region-coded) will possibly be getting Picture-in-Picture commentaries!!!

Also.. BCI hasn't kept this a secret. We ALL knew this was coming from the start. At least everyone who is watching this forums from the beginning of the 1st announcement.

And I dont think they have cheated us out in any way. The store exclusives were/are/will be AWESOME! Plus, there is a chance the BD releases won't get a store exclusive incentive.

One last thing, the sets were JUST THE THING for all of us living abroad in the EU since we wont get the same treatment for our favourite cartoon.

Heroic Warrior
    Am I for real?! RONDC, and now you, seem to take such offence at others over such a simple thing.

I was just commenting because RONDC came off with a high attitude over LionO's simple post. And I was meaning the basics of the episodes and features on the DVD (if there are to be other features, okay). But really, getting so uppity over folks who try to comment on stuff (when another has gotten uppity).

I will be buying it on Blu-Ray whenever it gets released, I am buying the standard ones now because they are so cheap ($14-17 per set) and upscaled look very nice on my HDTV

After seeing South Park in HD and other animation in HD (HD meaning hi definition) I can only imagine how awesome MOTU will look
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    But it won't be on 1 or 2 discs. That would work if we were only putting Standard Def episodes on Blu-Ray discs to conserve space, but HD episodes take up a lot more space.
    Well according to the official blu-ray FAQ:

"How much video can you fit on a Blu-ray disc?

Over 9 hours of high-definition (HD) video on a 50GB disc.
    About 23 hours of standard-definition (SD) video on a 50GB disc."

source

So it would theoretically be possible to squeeze the series in HD onto two double layer BDs. This is of course dependent on the amount of compression used as well as bonus features and other factors.

Most BD television releases have been released on the same number of or slightly fewer BDs as their DVD counterparts. Releasing entire full-run seasons on two or three discs hasn't happened.

I think realistically, the series could be released on four BDs in great quality; five discs tops (but possibly unnecessary with BD-50 storage capacity). Six discs would be overkill unless hours of HD bonus content is included (for instance, the original three-part movie as a whole ).

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjor View Post
    Well according to the official blu-ray FAQ:

"How much video can you fit on a Blu-ray disc?

Over 9 hours of high-definition (HD) video on a 50GB disc.
    About 23 hours of standard-definition (SD) video on a 50GB disc."

source

So it would theoretically be possible to squeeze the series in HD onto two double layer BDs. This is of course dependent on the amount of compression used as well as bonus features and other factors.

Most BD television releases have been released on the same number of or slightly fewer BDs as their DVD counterparts. Releasing entire full-run seasons on two or three discs hasn't happened.

I think realistically, the series could be released on four BDs in great quality; five discs tops (but possibly unnecessary with BD-50 storage capacity). Six discs would be overkill unless hours of HD bonus content is included (for instance, the original three-part movie as a whole ).
    9 Hours on a BR disc would be compressed to hell with current tech. You really don't want to go much over 2 hours on a BD-25, with 3 being about the max.

Probably 5 hours is going to be about it for a BD-50, so maybe 10 episodes per disc. So I'd say it would be 4 or 5 discs depending on quality tests. Then all the features would probably fit on 1 disc if most of them are in SD.

My biggest disappointment with the MYP series DVD's is no surround sound. MYP/Mattel said at SDCC 2002 that the series was produced in 5.1 surround, and I was looking forward to it on these sets. The only way I'd shell out the money again for Blue Ray is if it has the surround sound included. If it did, I'd happily get the sets and a Blue Ray player besides, as I don't have one yet.

" … the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few … "
    " … or the one … "

{ @Lioncourt on Twitter | MastersCast | My Blog }

Heroic Warrior
    Volume Two is in 2.0 Dolby Surround and sounds pretty good on a decent receiver. Volume One is a whole other story as the original authoring house messed up the audio horribly and the result is practically 2.0 Mono (and don't get me started on the video quality (or lack there of) of volume one).

I'm sure the BDs will have at least a higher bitrate then the current DVDs as well as a new remaster by another authoring house, lending to better overall audio. However, if no 5.1 mix was created initially, then 2.0 surround will be the best we should expect to hear. If a 5.1 mix was created by MYP, however...

As I surmised, 4-5 discs most likely but not concrete by any means at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjor View Post
    However, if no 5.1 mix was created initially, then 2.0 surround will be the best we should expect to hear. If a 5.1 mix was created by MYP, however...
    Well, as I said, at SDCC 2002, MYP/Mattel confirmed the existence of 5.1 surround, which was why I was disappointed with the DVD's audio. 2.0 surround doesn't count, IMO.

" … or the one … "

I'm pretty sure there isn't a 5.1 mix.

If there is, no one ever told Mattel it exists. If there was one, we would've included it.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lioncourt View Post
    Well, as I said, at SDCC 2002, MYP/Mattel confirmed the existence of 5.1 surround, which was why I was disappointed with the DVD's audio.
    You're right. On the August 9, 2002 news item from the front page of he-man.org:

"At the San Diego Comic Con discussion panel regarding He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, it was announced that both the old and new series will be making their way to DVD. The new MotU series will be available with Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound and 16X9 wide screen viewing."

So either wishful thinking, misinformation, or confirmation of the 5.1 track's existence - you make the call.

Speaking of calls, BCI Guy, since Mattel doesn't know of a 5.1 track for the MYP series, would it be possible to get in touch with Mike Young Productions to see if they ever created a 5.1 track in the first place? They would be the ones to know and if they deny ever making one, that's the end of the story. However, if they have it, there should be enough time to get the new audio prepped for the BD release. Just a thought.

Heroic sculptor of toys Battle_Brak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lioncourt View Post
    Well, as I said, at SDCC 2002, MYP/Mattel confirmed the existence of 5.1 surround, which was why I was disappointed with the DVD's audio. 2.0 surround doesn't count, IMO.
    Yep, I was looking forward to the 5.1 surround and was a little disappointed when I got the set.
    Check out my artwork: https://aarondoyle.artstation.com/

Since they mentioned it at that panel, and that was only a week or two before the show premiered, I can't imagine they changed plans that late in the game. My guess is that they're out there somewhere. Too bad Mattel doesn't know about them, though. That greatly diminishes the chances of ever getting them, I think.

" … or the one … "

my biggest ? of this blu ray release is- will all the art cards be in it, or will there be new ones?

austin

Ok I was way harsh on LionO and Im sorry for that. I'm just annoyed that I have to wait for the Blu Ray's of this series. In the long run it'll be worth it though. It's freaking Blu Ray!

All thoes glitches and coloring problems that the SD releases had will be totally fixed in the Blu Ray versions. That and the picture quality is gonna trump the SD's quality.

Trust me once you have gone HD it's impossible to go back to Standard Def. It really does spoil you lol. I just want the best possible picture and sound quality from one of my favorite animated TV series.

JonDaMan trust me there will be a HUGE!!! difference in the quality of the Blu Ray version of the series.

if BCI doesn't annouce the series in BLURAY during the comic con, they'll never will..

according to blu-ray.com :

Many studios are planning to make significant Blu-ray title announcements at the upcoming Comic-Con, which starts next Thursday in San Diego. While not traditionally a conference about films, many studios use the opportunity to communicate directly with comic fans regarding comic-based movie franchises.

I just really want to know if Man-At-Arms' missing mace transformation from the first episode will be fixed. If not, that's very, very disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by demiscy View Post
    if BCI doesn't annouce the series in BLURAY during the comic con, they'll never will..
    I completely disagree with that.

The main reason we haven't announced a Blu-Ray release is that TV on Blu-Ray is selling like crap at the moment (I mean, really, really badly. There are almost no TV Blu-Ray sets that are selling more than 10% of what the standard def sets are doing), so there isn't much we can do until we know we'll have strong retailer support.

I'm sure that's coming, but Blu-Ray adoption is a slow process right now.

My best guess is we'd do something for the holidays, but that's not set in stone.

I see.. so Christmas at the earliest..