Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MYP MOTU Series on Blu Ray

Yeah, I've recently started getting into BlueRay, and have been surprised what a difference in sound quality there is, too.

I hope that, if they do put these out on BlueRay, that we get the surround sound we were promised. Either way, I'd be picking these up. Here's hoping.

" … the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few … "
    " … or the one … "

{ @Lioncourt on Twitter | MastersCast | My Blog }

I remember BCI Guy talking about seeing the difference in colour depth when watching the Bluray quality masters they had. (Do I remember right BCI_Guy?) Also think about the 5.1 sound..... damn you financial crisis!!!

Widget

2002 series on Blu-ray?

Hello,

Apologies if this is the wrong place to pose this question (or if it's been asked before). However, I am an avid fan of the 2002 He-Man television series, the remake, which I watched when it first came out and have enjoyed on DVD ever since it was released.

My question is -- does anyone know if this series has ever been released on Blu-ray? Anywhere in the world, in any region? Does anyone know if plans exist for it to be released on Blu-ray?

I see that the older He-Man series, as well as the Lundgren movie, have appeared on Blu-ray, but my own interest is very targeted to the 2002 He-Man series, which still enthralls me after all these years.

If anyone knows anything about an extant or forthcoming Blu-ray release of the series, please let me know. I'll be first in line to buy it, if it ever does appear in that format.

Thanks.

Unmotivated webcomicker KidTDragon's Avatar
    It has not been released on Blu-Ray to date, and I haven't seen any announcements for a Blu-Ray release. It's a shame, too, because this show was obviously made for hi-def. Unfortunately, much like Transformers Animated, lack of demand will likely keep it trapped in inferior standard-definition DVD format.
    Track your MotU collection at shmax.com!

Almost Comics: Occasionally updated. Occasionally funny.

XBL Gamertag: KidTDragon
    PSN User ID: KidTDragon
    Nintendo Network ID: KidTDragon
    Steam: KidTDragon

Mill Creek was thinking about releasing a 200X Blu-Ray set in 2010 (and BCI before that before they went out of business), but that obviously did not happen. I could see it maybe being released in a new movie or new cartoon year, otherwise I would not hold ones breath. I think the overseas blu-ray release of Filmation He-Man was just standard definition on Blu-Ray which usually does not happen in the United States.

Why not just release it digitally on iTunes and the likes? I’d buy it in a heartbeat.
    Interested in the following loose Classics figures: Ram Man, Griffin, Mekaneck, 200x King Hisss and figure stands (prefer Snake Mountain stands)!

Contact me per PM or my razzerian@gmail.com

Looking to pre-order Snake Mountain? Check out this thread to see where you can do so! Found a new retailer selling it, drop a line in said thread to add it to the list.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by KidTDragon View Post
    It has not been released on Blu-Ray to date, and I haven't seen any announcements for a Blu-Ray release. It's a shame, too, because this show was obviously made for hi-def. Unfortunately, much like Transformers Animated, lack of demand will likely keep it trapped in inferior standard-definition DVD format.
    Thank you for the answer, disappointing as the information certainly is. Surprising, too, given that the contemporary 2001ish Justice League animated series and the Samurai Jack series of the same time period have indeed been released on Blu-ray.

Well, I suppose that, like everyone else, I will simply hope for a high-def release in the future. And personally, I still prefer owning discs to downloads, though discs are usually more expensive. I just like having the permanent, physical copy.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by karsten View Post
    Hello,

Apologies if this is the wrong place to pose this question (or if it's been asked before). However, I am an avid fan of the 2002 He-Man television series, the remake, which I watched when it first came out and have enjoyed on DVD ever since it was released.
    Hi karsten! Another *very* avid 2002 cartoon He-Man fan here.

Quote Originally Posted by karsten View Post
    Thank you for the answer, disappointing as the information certainly is. Surprising, too, given that the contemporary 2001ish Justice League animated series and the Samurai Jack series of the same time period have indeed been released on Blu-ray.
    Not comparable to when the respective shows were released. Those examples are
    1) distributed by Warner Bros. so they have more resources to create high-def release version.
    2) both examples basically had 5 seasons worth of material
    3) And JL overall is about Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman in a sense who all have DC/WB direct-to DVD releases on yearly basis.

But main thing is WB. Who have even released older cartoon-series to DVD as on-demand.

Though as mentioned. BCI were already planning for blu-ray release before they went bankrupt.

And just as also mentioned before. The Filmation He-Man doesn't have high definition materials available. Whatever blu-ray release is there (German). Its just
    stacking DVD-quality episodes more per a bluray-disc. But it may have sadly fooled some fans into thinking they were getting upgraded definition versions..
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Unfortunately, things have been trending away from TV shows on Blu-ray for quite some time. For every Batman: The Animated Series we get, there's an Adventure Time -- which stopped BD releases with season 6 and only releases on DVD now -- and Robot Chicken -- which stopped physical releases entirely in the US with season 8 (all WB-owned properties). Even with DVD re-releases, the trend has been to squeeze more episodes onto fewer discs to save money. The Mill Creek He-Man re-releases are far more compressed than the original BCI sets.

Maybe if this new He-Man movie is a massive hit someone will dig out the 200x cartoon and release it in hi-def... but I am not hopeful. I think the BCI sets are the best we'll get.
    Last edited by kernunrex; April 30, 2019 at 07:10pm.
    Kreann’Ot N’Norosh is my copilot.