Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 137

Thread: MOTUC and Chase Figures

  1. #51
    Heroic Hero Grayskull's Heir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Castle Grayskull
    Posts
    3,398
    Quote Originally Posted by xBBestx View Post
    Well to me there is a difference between a toy collector and a toy shopper/buyer. To me ordering a mass produced toy off the internet and having it sent to my door is just shopping. To me collecting is more about putting some search and hunt into obtaining an item. I derive much more pleasure when happening upon something, or putting some effort into tracking something down. No one here can tell me they didn't get super excited when they walked into a store and finally found a prince adam or teela figure when the 200x line came out.

    At the end of the day I would rather collect the original figures or production pieces from the original line, then just order a bunch of new figures off the net. Sure I will buy a few of these new figures, but so will everyone here.

    If everyone just buys whatever new figure that comes out and gets shipped to there door everyone has the same boring collection in there display case. I prefer hunting for something a little more unique.

    I understand what you are saying and accept your opinion. However, I couldn't agree less.
    The way you put it sounds as if collecting something was a means in itself. It kind of like sounds as if it didn't really matter WHAT you collected as long as collecting is a challenge. I guess that many people feel that way and for this reason start collecting stuff that can never be completed (like stamps or something).

    I look upon collecting MOTU in a completely different way. As I see it, there is a relatively limited choice of characters and possible variants (as opposed to stamps where there's virtually no limit) and I simply want to buy all of them. Not because I love the challenge of collecting stuff, but because I love these characters, I grew up with them and now I simply want to buy these figures.
    I want the fiures for a reasonable price, not some kind of challenge.



    Lay Ze-Man,

    I'm not sure if that's such a good idea. If the result was, say, 15/85 or 10/90 and they produced this extremely rare colour variant of only 10% of the production run, which will be pretty limited anyway, then we would end up with one almost impossibly hard to find variant that would sell on ebay for $1000 or more.

    As I've said in another thread:
    I completely agree with Patreek. His suggestion is the ONLY acceptable solution.
    Awesome sticker included!

  2. #52
    Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    6,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull's Heir View Post
    If the result was, say, 15/85 or 10/90 and they produced this extremely rare colour variant of only 10% of the production run, which will be pretty limited anyway, then we would end up with one almost impossibly hard to find variant that would sell on ebay for $1000 or more.

    As I've said in another thread:
    I completely agree with Patreek. His suggestion is the ONLY acceptable solution.
    But his suggestion doesn't address what QUANTITIES should be made.

    Wonder Bread He-Man getting his own month for a figure? No way!

    Wonder Bread He-Man produced in equal quantities as the standard He-Man? No way would he sell equally well, and Mattel would be sitting on lots of unsold figures. Lots of unsold figures = not good for the future of MOTUC.

    So if you're not going to produce the variants in the same quantities as the regular figure, then how do you know how many to make?

  3. #53
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ludington, MI USA
    Posts
    742
    The problem of having entirly new releases for variants is that this line is only released once and a variant may not be as widely sought after or purchased and to have it as the only relase for that month might not be the best idea. I know there are issues with doing chase items, but i think the benifits out weight the problems, especially if you are Mattel

    In the current order format it wont help as much, but for those that would only order one or two they might now order two or three. So that helps. And for the collector I know it sucks paying high dollar for chase figures, but it also increases the value of your collection. If you spend 20 dollars on a figure and the second you get it its worth 5 times that, i dont see what the down side is. Even if its not the one you want i dont see anyone that wouldnt be able to trade or sell if for the one you do want.

    I totally understand peoples issues, but in the grand scheme of things, which is trying to keep motu alive, I think this would only help.

    Also, short packing them prevents the whole spin blade issue. Tons of variants is what killed the 80's line and the 200x line. I am a completist MOC collector but I understand that unless I get lucky or pay a lot I wont have all the line. But I also think its exciting to get a chase figure that justifys, in secondary market value, spending tons of money on these figures. For example...lets say when he-man comes out in October they have a savage/wb variant. I order the current limit of 3 and Iget two regular and one variant. Judging by KG's variant and the he-man chases from the 200x line its gonna be worth 100plus dollars. So for 90 dollars I got three figures worth MOC at least twice what I paid, maybe more. Then in 15 years when my daughter is going to college I can sell it for 10-15 times or more then I paid for it plus inflation, which is based on how the 80's variants are valued. I think thats a good investemtn and a higher APR then most savings accounts, and it looks much better on a shelf.

  4. #54
    Heroic Warrior Mern-Ra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    6,826

    No chases

    Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    So what happens if you want regular Trap Jaw and you get the Mini-Comic repaint you didn't want?
    Well, since there's a limit of 2 figures, the second one you'd order would almost certainly not be another chase figure, and you'd more than be able to get your money back on the secondary market.


    But He-Man with gray arm bands instead of gold, or something similar to that, what would be the harm in chase figures like that?

    If they make ANY chases/variants, EVEN a figure with different colored arm bands, I will buy two of each kind.

    As far as making my money back on the secondary market, I don't want the hassle. I AM THRILLED that they're making these availble online because it will be easy to collect. I'm a completest when it comes to MOTU so I'll be getting everything and want it to be easy. Plus if I placed an order and a chase showed up I'd have to place another order and pay for shipping all over again, and that's not cool.
    My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

    Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

    The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

  5. #55
    Movie mayhem!
    Patreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,843
    Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    But his suggestion doesn't address what QUANTITIES should be made.

    Wonder Bread He-Man getting his own month for a figure? No way!

    Wonder Bread He-Man produced in equal quantities as the standard He-Man? No way would he sell equally well, and Mattel would be sitting on lots of unsold figures. Lots of unsold figures = not good for the future of MOTUC.

    So if you're not going to produce the variants in the same quantities as the regular figure, then how do you know how many to make?
    In my post I said that a varient should NOT get its own month but should be just offered along side the normal figure as something else you can buy that same month. I didn't get into the ratio stuff just because while i felt most of the .org agree with the ordering part I didn't want to speak for everyone in regards to ratio because i am sure there is a wide variety of thoughts on there.

    Some will want it equal, some will want it a little rare, some will want it really rare and still others will want it to be CRAZY rare.

    Personaly i think it should be a little less so they are a little more collectable. At the same time I think people who join the collecters club for the line should be assured they will be able to get one no matter what if they preorder.
    Check out my MOTU Spin off comic here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...62#post3784962

  6. #56
    Heroic Warrior tripleb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Newfoundland
    Posts
    165
    u should be able to choose which verison you want on mattycollector.com....

    either the regular version or the chase/variant version, just like if you saw the 2 versions of a figure at retail.......it's ur choice at a retail store...you can make up ur own mind on if you wanted the regular verion or chase or variant or both . this should be way on mattycollector.com as well , not having some person at the warehouse grabbing a figure for you at random and stuffing it in the shipping box with no cares of what your preferences is/are

    have a listing for the regular version figure and a seprate listing for the chase/variant version figure is the way to go!!!
    yeah I'm stupid.... stupid like a fox!!!

  7. #57
    Heroic Warrior King Kahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    nashville, tn
    Posts
    5,826
    i bought 2 kings and a lobo. i would LIKE a bronze but if not oh well i still have one minty fresh figure.

    i WOULD like to see them offer the variant of a figure seperately.

    perhaps in the begining of the month they can have it be random(like with the king) and towards the end of the month any remaining stock can be sold indivdually.

    or perhaps they can give you the option to buy both figures if you PRE-ORDER the regular figure. after that it is the luck of the draw
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

  8. #58
    Heroic Warrior KUZEH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,398
    As some have already said,
    I think a chase as an alternative, not as KG, if someone wants both, they can have both...simple! and everybody's happy!
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

    My Feedback thread!!

  9. #59
    Merchandise Collector jmb410s's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    4,132
    Mattel should do NO Random chase Variants for the same reasons already stated.

    1. people looking for a figure not getting the one they want.
    2. no more money in Mattels pocket-just forces those of us that collect that stuff to go to the secondary market and have our wallets thinned

    If Mattel has to do variants ( which they always do ) it should go like this:

    1: A variant is NEVER the new figure for the month
    2: New Figure - you can order 3
    3: Variant figure ordered at the same time limited to 1

    that way mattel can make more money by getting those that want one to buy another figure of the same character. And it is more limited and limited to 1 to prevent scalping.
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

  10. #60
    Lumpy Space Person Brad2dbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    5,658
    I hope there aren't any chases, but if there are they should be... FREE! Yup, everyone who orders a figure should get exactly what they ordered, and random orders would be chosen to receive an additional chase figure at no extra cost.

    And like Baena said, the differences in the chase and regular version should be insignificant, so as not to stir the pot too much.

  11. #61
    The Scare is in the Glow! Scare Glow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    I hope there aren't any chases, but if there are they should be... FREE! Yup, everyone who orders a figure should get exactly what they ordered, and random orders would be chosen to receive an additional chase figure at no extra cost.

    And like Baena said, the differences in the chase and regular version should be insignificant, so as not to stir the pot too much.
    This would be a really awesome incentive and would help sway more people into buying; especially those fans who get the “thrill” from the chance at getting something rare.

    Let’s take it a bit further though – how about fans who buy consistently, or subscribe if that ever gets off the ground, get one special premium figure every second quarter as a buyer incentive? The figure could be bagged or something to keep the costs lower, like they do all the time with mail away premiums.

    I just like the idea of giving something back for consistent brand loyalty. It shows the repeat customers are appreciated and gives incentive to be a repeat customer.

    Then again, I didn’t get any sleep last night and am still going . . . so I might be off base here.

  12. #62
    Masta of da Fryin' Pan PanMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,120
    Here's an idea:

    When you order a figure, you should have two options:

    1) Standard version

    2) Randomly selected chase or standard version

    This way, if you only want the standard figure (like I do with King Grayskull), you would automatically get the standard version, but if you would like the chase (or don't care), your order will be randomly packed with either the chase or normal version.

    I know this doesn't solve all the problems with chases/variants, but it is a nice option to have for those who want it. It will also increase the chances that someone who wants a chase will get it (however slightly).
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

  13. #63
    Heroic Warrior radrcks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,164
    Quote Originally Posted by PanMan View Post
    Here's an idea:

    When you order a figure, you should have two options:

    1) Standard version

    2) Randomly selected chase or standard version

    This way, if you only want the standard figure (like I do with King Grayskull), you would automatically get the standard version, but if you would like the chase (or don't care), your order will be randomly packed with either the chase or normal version.

    I know this doesn't solve all the problems with chases/variants, but it is a nice option to have for those who want it. It will also increase the chances that someone who wants a chase will get it (however slightly).

    If they did your second choice I'd suggest they take it a bit farther. They could always do what some lines used to and have a collectors club with a membership fee that allowed you to get chase/variant figures/unpainted preproduction versions of the figures for the price of a regular figure and then for the members of the 'collectors club' allow them to purchase the regular figures at a slightly discounted price.

    They wouldn't suffer from any money loss because of the membership fees and they could offer only the regular figures (at the full price) for people who don't have the membership. That way people who just want the regular versions will get them, and the people who want both can always have the option of doing so.

  14. #64
    Heroic Hero Grayskull's Heir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Castle Grayskull
    Posts
    3,398
    Quote Originally Posted by motuxmen View Post
    The problem of having entirly new releases for variants is that this line is only released once and a variant may not be as widely sought after or purchased and to have it as the only relase for that month might not be the best idea. I know there are issues with doing chase items, but i think the benifits out weight the problems, especially if you are Mattel

    In the current order format it wont help as much, but for those that would only order one or two they might now order two or three. So that helps.
    I don't really agree with that.
    However, it would help if we were allowed to order, say, 3 of the regular figures and, say, 1 of the paint variant. As jmb410s pointed out, this way Mattel would make a lot of money from people who buy the same character again. I don't agree with you at all that chase varants help in any way to keep the line alive. In fact, chase variants will only turnn poeple off and sales will go down. However, paint variants that can be ordered alongside the regular version indeed keep the line alive as they would help Mattel to make more money from the same character wihout having to produce expensive new molds for new figures.


    Quote Originally Posted by motuxmen View Post
    And for the collector I know it sucks paying high dollar for chase figures, but it also increases the value of your collection.If you spend 20 dollars on a figure and the second you get it its worth 5 times that, i dont see what the down side is. Even if its not the one you want i dont see anyone that wouldnt be able to trade or sell if for the one you do want.
    I couldn't care less about the value of my collection. I simply want all the figures. I don't care for rare and expensive items. I've never sold anything from my collection and never will.

    Quote Originally Posted by motuxmen View Post
    I totally understand peoples issues, but in the grand scheme of things, which is trying to keep motu alive, I think this would only help.
    As I said, I think jmb410s's suggestion wuld help much more.
    Awesome sticker included!

  15. #65
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ludington, MI USA
    Posts
    742
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull's Heir View Post
    I don't really agree with that.
    However, it would help if we were allowed to order, say, 3 of the regular figures and, say, 1 of the paint variant. As jmb410s pointed out, this way Mattel would make a lot of money from people who buy the same character again. I don't agree with you at all that chase varants help in any way to keep the line alive. In fact, chase variants will only turnn poeple off and sales will go down. However, paint variants that can be ordered alongside the regular version indeed keep the line alive as they would help Mattel to make more money from the same character wihout having to produce expensive new molds for new figures.




    I couldn't care less about the value of my collection. I simply want all the figures. I don't care for rare and expensive items. I've never sold anything from my collection and never will.



    As I said, I think jmb410s's suggestion wuld help much more.

    You may not care about the value of your collection, but there are lots of people that do. The fact that things on ebay sell for more then in the stores is a testament to that fact. The fact that their are scalpers is also evidence to that.

    Yes, when the figures are in the store you have a choice of which figure you got. But that was only because that retail outlet bought cases of the figures. Someone else paid for the random packed figures. This line is differnt then any other line currently available in a lot of ways. So things that work in other lines might not work here. Mattel does not have the cushion of a retailer preordering their product and that retailer having to worry about it selling or acting like peg warmers. Mattel is assuming all the cost and all the risk. So, I have no problem with how the chase's/variants have been handled so far (King G).

    I know of a dozen plus people that bought at least one more figure then they normally would have just for the chance to get the Statue version. If Mattel were to make a limited variant and offer it like a lot of people here are saying, by allowing you to choose, yes it would sell out. I have no doubt of that. But if you random/short pack it then I am sure ALL the figures would sell out. Its kinda like sports cards. Everyone wants a Mike Jordan or Ladanian Tomlinson auto card, but if you had a choice between that and some common 3rd string guy, no one would buy the common and thus those cards would not sell and the overall sales for a series of cards tanks. I know its not exactly the same here, but its a good analogy.

    It does make it harder for people that want the variants, chases or even the regular figure. But its half the fun. We are already loosing out on the "hunt" and this at least lessens that lose, for me anyway. Id love to get every variant, chase, or different paint app, but I also understand that Mattel needs to make money, they need to increase secondary market value to keep interest from general "collectors" high. If a person collects toys just to collect and not for personal love of a line they want usually want stuff that will maintain value over the long haul. Those folks wont buy a line that has little to no value. But, if you get a chance to spend 20, 40, 60 dollars and get a figure worth 500 dollars you will bring in people that might not otherwise buy into it. Most of us die hard fans are gonna spend the same amount no matter what...its the other people that Mattel needs to interest, and its those people we all should want to interest.

    I due understand everyones points, and they are all valid. Nothing is gonna make everyone happy. I am just saying that for once, I agree with the current system to sell the figures (chase ones Imean) given that its an online only line.

    I due think that the system mentioned earlier where you have an option of buying from two pools, the one with just the regular figure and the one with a chance to get the variant or regular figure is a great way to easy some peoples minds while still trying to continue the current system. I think that would be a great question to pose to Mattel and Toy G Jr in the Q&A.

  16. #66
    Evil Collapsing Robot! Zodach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    3,479
    I'm all for variants, but only if they can be purchased separately and not randomly inserted into the regular run. Start the subscription service and give subscribers the first chance at ordering the variants when they go up for sale. After the first few days, if there are any left, open them up to non-subscribers. It will give people an incentive to be in the "one of every figure" club.

  17. #67
    Heroic Warrior JohnnyQuick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Stow, OH
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by radrcks View Post
    If they did your second choice I'd suggest they take it a bit farther. They could always do what some lines used to and have a collectors club with a membership fee that allowed you to get chase/variant figures/unpainted preproduction versions of the figures for the price of a regular figure and then for the members of the 'collectors club' allow them to purchase the regular figures at a slightly discounted price.

    They wouldn't suffer from any money loss because of the membership fees and they could offer only the regular figures (at the full price) for people who don't have the membership. That way people who just want the regular versions will get them, and the people who want both can always have the option of doing so.
    I like the idea of giving the option to choose regular only or random selection.

    Mattel is already doing the membership based collectors club with Hot Wheels(and I think maybe Barbie too but I'm not sure). I don't see why they couldn't do something like that for MOTUC.

  18. #68
    Overlord of Evil stevetor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    516
    What about a "blending" if you will of all these Ideas:

    limit of three figures, if they make variants it could work something like this:

    to ENCOURAGE a subscription service: They could allow the purchase of the VARIANT at a discount or even just offer it at full revenue ONLY to those who take advantage of the subscription service. Or additionally make it a choice for the subscriber if you want it or not.

    This would ensure Mattel is getting a consistant / predictable intake of funds to cover costs and still be profitable...the bottom line for them. They could predict/anticipate more accuratly their runs and inventory. It would help ensure a timeline on the runs...it would literally define a collector CLUB, and also ...while not necessarily diverting scalpers it would force them to pay out the wazoo to get the very figure they want to scalp.

    I know a lot of people ( and some on here) just want that chase figure b/c it's the one "worth" more. But to ME, I feel like I need to have it b/c I too am a completist (which I think is more the case here...there are a lot more like me on that issue, I would wager.) The Chase figs are neat, but unnecessary in my opinion when it's stuff like a repaint. if it's a true variant, like say a roboto figure when he was just the chess player in the MYP ep....or a Kronos, pre Trap Jaw...THAT make it more worthwhile, I feel.

    Again, It's a touchy subject, but I think a solution/system like this would really solidify a means to ensure the variants not only get in the right hands, but increase sales for Mattel, and keep MOTU alive ... which is the bottom line FOR US.

    right?
    Last edited by stevetor; July 29, 2008 at 10:18am.
    AWESOME TRADERS:
    Sammy Banderas/jcb1973/Troy-Klops/Mystical musician/Daviono1089

    MY .ORG FEEDBACK

    MY EBAY FEEDBACK

    "I Do hope you don't bruise easily He-Man!"
    ~Stevetor~

  19. #69
    Plastic Pourer sumaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland & Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    178
    I just don't dig the whole Chase Figure concept.
    To me it seams just like an awful idea all together.
    My Collection
    It's reallity and not a legend: PlanetEternia

  20. #70
    Heroic Warrior xBBestx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    1,423
    I'm more excited about receiving my King Grayskulls now knowing that there could be a chase one in the bunch.

    I'd be super excited ordering a He-Man figure in Oct. knowing that I might be able to get a wonder bread variant as well.

    Would I be bummed if I don't get a variant, sure... but that's all part of toy collecting. It's much more special to get a figure like that if not everyone has one or can get one so easy.

    I really hope they keep chase figures alive after KG. I think it's pretty clear after the booing at comic con that they won't bother though. Shame some bad apples ruin it for the whole bunch.

  21. #71
    Heroic Hero Grayskull's Heir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Castle Grayskull
    Posts
    3,398
    Quote Originally Posted by xBBestx View Post
    I really hope they keep chase figures alive after KG. I think it's pretty clear after the booing at comic con that they won't bother though. Shame some bad apples ruin it for the whole bunch.
    I find that remark a bit offensive to tell you the truth.
    I don't have a statistics to prove it, but judging from most of the comments here on the forums it seems to me that the people who are against randomly packed chase figures are the majority and not some "bad apples"...

    In fact I hope that Mattel listens to the majority who have voiced their opinion against chase figures and not to the one or two people around here who seem to like the concept of randomly packed chase figures...
    Awesome sticker included!

  22. #72
    Evil Warrior Soulfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,789
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull's Heir View Post
    I find that remark a bit offensive to tell you the truth.
    I don't have a statistics to prove it, but judging from most of the comments here on the forums it seems to me that the people who are against randomly packed chase figures are the majority and not some "bad apples"...

    In fact I hope that Mattel listens to the majority who have voiced their opinion against chase figures and not to the one or two people around here who seem to like the concept of randomly packed chase figures...
    If Mattel has to make chase figures of some sort in order to sell a few extra figures to keep the line going, so be it. I would hope that people understand that it may have to happen. If someone doesn't want them, thats great. But there are some that do like them. I wouldn't mind as long as they aren't silly terrible repaints like we got in the 2002 line.

    That said, I wouldn't make the chase figures randomly inserted. I would suggest something like, order 3 of X figure, and one of them will be the chase, the others will be the regular version. That way if you want the chase, you would be willing to get an extra figure. It would more or less be the only way to stop the random packins, and stop scalpers from buying them all up if they went up for sale by themselves. Plus it would sell extra figures and help the line continue.

    Obviously there won't be any way Mattel could handle it, and not get at least one person here to cry out loud over it. But hopefully they come up with something, and it gets us a few extra figures!

  23. #73
    Heroic Hero Grayskull's Heir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Castle Grayskull
    Posts
    3,398
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    That said, I wouldn't make the chase figures randomly inserted. I would suggest something like, order 3 of X figure, and one of them will be the chase, the others will be the regular version. That way if you want the chase, you would be willing to get an extra figure. It would more or less be the only way to stop the random packins, and stop scalpers from buying them all up if they went up for sale by themselves. Plus it would sell extra figures and help the line continue.

    I agree 100%.
    That's what I've been trying to say.
    We don't want chase figures (=randomly packed), we want colour variants / repaints that can be ordered together with the regular version.



    Quote Originally Posted by motuxmen View Post

    I know of a dozen plus people that bought at least one more figure then they normally would have just for the chance to get the Statue version. If Mattel were to make a limited variant and offer it like a lot of people here are saying, by allowing you to choose, yes it would sell out. I have no doubt of that. But if you random/short pack it then I am sure ALL the figures would sell out. Its kinda like sports cards. Everyone wants a Mike Jordan or Ladanian Tomlinson auto card, but if you had a choice between that and some common 3rd string guy, no one would buy the common and thus those cards would not sell and the overall sales for a series of cards tanks. I know its not exactly the same here, but its a good analogy.

    It does make it harder for people that want the variants, chases or even the regular figure. But its half the fun. We are already loosing out on the "hunt" and this at least lessens that lose, for me anyway. Id love to get every variant, chase, or different paint app, but I also understand that Mattel needs to make money, they need to increase secondary market value to keep interest from general "collectors" high. If a person collects toys just to collect and not for personal love of a line they want usually want stuff that will maintain value over the long haul. Those folks wont buy a line that has little to no value. But, if you get a chance to spend 20, 40, 60 dollars and get a figure worth 500 dollars you will bring in people that might not otherwise buy into it. Most of us die hard fans are gonna spend the same amount no matter what...its the other people that Mattel needs to interest, and its those people we all should want to interest.
    Your arguments totally overlook the fact that there will be a limit as to how many figures each person can order.
    True, if we could order 5, 10 or 20 of each figure everything you are saying would be true. However, this won't be the case.
    That's also the reason why your sports cards analogy doens't work at all in this context. You can buy as many sports cards as you want. If one shop sells out, you just go to another shop. Both aspects are not true for MOTUC.

    Moreover, when you say that Mattel need to increase secondary market value to keep interest from general "collectors" high, IMHO you are basically saying Mattel needs to support scalpers. If we define scalpers as "people who don't care about MOTU and just buy the figures because of the re-sell value" then we are just talking about the people you mention in your post. It's impossible to keep the scalpers out of your argument here because they are part of the secondary market.
    Mattel has made it very clear that they will try everything they can to stop scalpers. That's why they will have this limit on how many figures you can order.
    You seem to overlook this aspect completely.

    In addition you also have to take into consideration the fact that this line will be of high value on the secondary market anyway. The figures will be produced in a limited production run from all we've heard so far. Mattel is expecting the figures to sell out within two weeks each month. As their online store is the only place where you can get them prices will rise on the secondary market as soon as the figures have sold out.

    There's no need whatsoever to make the colour variants randomly packed if Mattel follows the suggestion made by jmb410s:

    If Mattel has to do variants ( which they always do ) it should go like this:

    1: A variant is NEVER the new figure for the month
    2: New Figure - you can order 3
    3: Variant figure ordered at the same time limited to 1

    that way mattel can make more money by getting those that want one to buy another figure of the same character. And it is more limited and limited to 1 to prevent scalping.
    With variants being limited to 1 for each person they would be rare enough to increase prices on the secondary market, which according to your argument is vital.
    If you ordered one, this would automatically increase the value of your collection.

    jmb410s's suggestion has all the benefits you mentioned without having the downside that you would have if the variants were inserted randomly.
    Last edited by Grayskull's Heir; July 29, 2008 at 05:46pm.
    Awesome sticker included!

  24. #74
    Heroic Warrior Berzerker17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Nimrod, MN
    Posts
    312
    Quote Originally Posted by baileyrecords View Post
    I don't share this opinion and that's ok.
    Here's why...
    It is my understanding that things like skin color changes and wing color changes in the vintage line were production run changes to make the figure "better" in the eyes of the maker and/or public. They were not intended to be "variants" as collectors made them to be. They were changes.

    It's also my understanding that Mattel is now trying to make new MOTU figures the way they were always meant to be... as in, making them appear like the original card back artwork, etc.

    With both understandings in place, would it make sense for Mattel to intentionally make two versions of Evil-Lyn or Stratos with alt coloration? Other than greed on their part, I don't see why this would be necessary. It's not like blue wing Stratos is a different character from red wing Stratos. If that were the case - and it was a way to make an inexpensive 2nd character - so be it. I'd be all over them doing it again... like flocking Beast Man and making Moss Man. Like molding He-Man in blue, adding orange molded armor from Skeletor and calling the guy Faker.
    With stratos they should do like mer-man and just include both sets of wings in the package.
    My Collection:

    Items available for sale or trade.

    I have had Good Trades/Deals with: Siroko, Klocket, JVS3, oICEMANo, River, roboticplanet, rougewelder, joeybones, dutch, miscus555, tsilevon, charliecore, cderby79, manson1978, CrazyMotuFan, TombstonePiledrive, rcpax & dark knight.

  25. #75
    LIKE A HERMIT! mightybuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    remote island
    Posts
    3,390
    Quote Originally Posted by PanMan View Post
    Here's an idea:

    When you order a figure, you should have two options:

    1) Standard version

    2) Randomly selected chase or standard version

    This way, if you only want the standard figure (like I do with King Grayskull), you would automatically get the standard version, but if you would like the chase (or don't care), your order will be randomly packed with either the chase or normal version.

    I know this doesn't solve all the problems with chases/variants, but it is a nice option to have for those who want it. It will also increase the chances that someone who wants a chase will get it (however slightly).
    this is a good idea. if mattel decides to do chase versions of a character and i really like the regular version, i can decide to get the regular version. if i prefer the chase version or don't care, i've still got the option of (maybe) getting the chase version. but i don't think a chase version of a toy should be readily available for a customer to buy whenever they want, because that defeats the purpose of it being a chase version.

    it's like if a toy company had some convention exclusive and then decided they would make the exclusive available in stores for months, just as evenly packed as any other figure. not only would it upset people who spent a lot of money getting the figure at the convention, it would defeat the purpose of it being called an "exclusive".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •