Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU CLASSICS VS MOTU 2002 Line. Which style do you prefer the most?

MOTU CLASSICS VS MOTU 2002 Line. Which style do you prefer the most?

Now that we have seen pics of other figures than GraySkull himself, which style do you prefer most?

The MOTU 2002 and Staction Figure style OR

MOTU Classics 2008-?? style ?

I myself love how the new upcoming MOTU Classics are looking, but I think I want to see more of what came out in 02.

The upcoming Classics line is great for those that prefer an updated version of the 1980s figures.

And the 2002 line is great for those that prefer an updated version of each character with a totally new look.

Which style do you prefer ?
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mastersofeternia - MASTERS OF ETERNIA

HE-MAN CHARACTER PROFILE CLUB at-http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HemanCharacterProfileClub

I prefer the Classics style.
    "The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real."
    -Dr. Sheldon Cooper
    -----------------------------------------------------
    I will NEVER buy a subscription!

The Scare is in the Glow! Scare Glow's Avatar
    Answered this in like four other threads . . . but what’s one more.

I prefer the new classics.

I enjoyed the 200X, but these are the MOTU revamp I always yearned for.

Elder Councilman
    These- they're 6" scaled, and don't have ridiculous buttons sticking out of their backs, for an action feature....and He-Man doesn't share a hairdo with Drake Bell...
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

Heroic Warrior
    Although I would have preferred a complete continuation of the "commemorative line" these figures defintely are awesome, and better than the 2002 line IMHO.

I`m just glad we had the 200x cartoon. I wouldn`t like the line so much if they didn`t have personality. I like both lines but MOTUC has me really excited right now, can`t wait to see what my King Grayskull will look like.

While I like the detail and scale of the 200X line, the liberty they took on some of the figures just weren't what I grew up with. The Classics are so awesome because they merge the 200X line's scale and detail with the look of the 80s line.

I prefer the Classics line. As nice and detailed as the last incarnation was, this is what I wish the last line could have been.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Lizorr, T-Rex, Great Black Wizard, rest of New Adventures, MOP Demons, Dream Mistress.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Ileena, Twiggets, Dragoon, Widgets, Dark Dream, Lady Valtira, Count Marzo, Chimera.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

Elder Councilman
    Dude, in 2002, it wouldn't have been. It's sorta like saying "now why couldn't they do action figures for these '50s cartoons the way they did 'em in the '80s?" It's because things got revolutionized AFTER that time.

ToyBiz revolutionized sculpting/articulation, starting IN '02, but up to that time, no one'd really thought about it.

Back then, either ya had a nice sculpt, or good articulation- REMEMBER?

I've already had these designs for the last 25 years. I much prefer the mature look of the 200X line.

Quote Originally Posted by KingRandor82 View Post
    Dude, in 2002, it wouldn't have been. It's sorta like saying "now why couldn't they do action figures for these '50s cartoons the way they did 'em in the '80s?" It's because things got revolutionized AFTER that time.

ToyBiz revolutionized sculpting/articulation, starting IN '02, but up to that time, no one'd really thought about it.

Back then, either ya had a nice sculpt, or good articulation- REMEMBER?
    Well, the Horsemen originally sculpted the figures to be very articulated. Check them out here http://toymania.com/columns/profiles/4h_gallery2.shtml

Mattel put the kibosh on the articulation to cut costs, but most of the current Classic’s joints were present in the original prototypes. Other than the cut-bicep and cut-boot joints, they seem to be very similar (Man at Arms has the articulated mid-section like He-Man/King Grayskull – implemented differently though).

Still, even if they had these joints, I like the Classics better! But, the 200X would have been a better line with it and more kid friendly.

Elder Councilman
    Quote Originally Posted by Scare Glow View Post
    Well, the Horsemen originally sculpted the figures to be very articulated. Check them out here http://toymania.com/columns/profiles/4h_gallery2.shtml

Mattel put the kibosh on the articulation to cut costs, but most of the current Classic’s joints were present in the original prototypes. Other than the cut-bicep and cut-boot joints, they seem to be very similar (Man at Arms has the articulated mid-section like He-Man/King Grayskull – implemented differently though).

Still, even if they had these joints, I like the Classics better! But, the 200X would have been a better line with it and more kid friendly.
    I still disagree- those were more articulated than anything else at the time- but these are even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Scare Glow View Post
    I don't think articulation makes a toy kid-friendly. Just the opposite, in fact. Kids want to play with their figures, not pose them on a shelf, so the sturdier, the better. I believe it's adult collectors (that didn't really exist in the old days) that now want articulation so that they can pose the figures how they want them to look for a certain time and leave them on a shelf to admire.

I certainly don't remember wishing my vintage figures had more points of articulation when I was growing up!!! I cared about color, weapons, and action features.

You're just asking for a fight with this thread, though... any "versus" argument tends to get quite funny!

SirBushnell SPEAKS!

Get ready for a future with a magical blend of science fiction and fantasy. A brand new legend. A whole new war.
    It's coming...

I like both almost equally, but Classics is my favourite.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Flor2099 View Post
    I've already had these designs for the last 25 years. I much prefer the mature look of the 200X line.
    I have to agree with you 100%.

MYP/200x/mini statues..........all the way.
    Don't hesitate in dealing with Cilman Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SirBushnell View Post
    I don't think articulation makes a toy kid-friendly. Just the opposite, in fact. Kids want to play with their figures, not pose them on a shelf, so the sturdier, the better. I believe it's adult collectors (that didn't really exist in the old days) that now want articulation so that they can pose the figures how they want them to look for a certain time and leave them on a shelf to admire.

I certainly don't remember wishing my vintage figures had more points of articulation when I was growing up!!! I cared about color, weapons, and action features.

You're just asking for a fight with this thread, though... any "versus" argument tends to get quite funny!
    True, but our childhood collections were sturdy, and made in such a way as to be versatile with vehicles and accessories. The 200X’s were pre-posed dynamically and not really compatible with most of the accessories sold (all they could do well was look good a shelf). If the toys were articulated, children could have had an easier time playing with them which may have helped build interest.

But who knows. The line was never really catered towards children, in my estimation anyway. This is evident with great expanse between the figures and everything else made. Mattel tried to turn a line made for us into the next big kid thing and that was a big part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by KingRandor82
    I still disagree- those were more articulated than anything else at the time- but these are even better.
    King, I don’t think we’re in disagreement here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I prefer the Classics line. As nice and detailed as the last incarnation was, this is what I wish the last line could have been.
    me 2.

THE DEMON KEY - Skelepimp Mini-Comic

Skelepimp Commissions are only a PM away....

200X, Staction style.

Alot of the 200X figures suffered when the action features were added. And He-Man looked more like He-Teen but all that got rectafied with the stactions, IMO

REMEMBER: The paint aps all looked really good on the 200X proto's too. When they came out as figures they suffered GREATLY. This can be seen King G already

Quote Originally Posted by claw guy 3 View Post
    200X, Staction style.

Alot of the 200X figures suffered when the action features were added. And He-Man looked more like He-Teen but all that got rectafied with the stactions, IMO

REMEMBER: The paint aps all looked really good on the 200X proto's too. When they came out as figures they suffered GREATLY. This can be seen King G already
    Oh the stactions were more or less universally beautiful figures . . . the trouble was, they weren’t figures. And that there, my friend, is the rub.

But you’re right; the paint apps on the actual figures were sub-par . . . I mean heck, they only painted the front of the belt on He-Man. And the action features were more or less afterthoughts which lacked all imagination, hurting the figures more than adding to them. The line would have been much better off without them.

As for Grayskull looking a little less awesomtastic than his prototype older brother, I think that has to do more with the fact that the prototypes are hand-painted resin (kind of like the stactions). They just look better than plastic molded in the corresponding color. The actual paint applications themselves seem to be the same, as in there are no missing colors or unpainted sections of the belt, etc., between the proto and the final product. There’s invariably going to be some detail drop between the two . . . unless Mattel goes the route NECA did with the Ninja Turtles and paint the entire thing (and as awesome as that would be, cause those Turtles are exceptional, Mattel will never go that far).

I like the 200X designs better...Classics is very old school and cool too but somethings just don't make sense to me like Zodak and Merman having the same feet....I was hoping that the Zodak would at least have the boots of the 200X line....Either way I am still getting the figs.
    2012 Create a character Runners up Mini-Sub please!!! I needs Bubblor and Major Header.

Sheboygan,WI(Home of the Worlds Biggest Bratwurst Celebration)
    Im gonna assume that the Skeletor will have the same feet and hands as Mer-man,and Zodac,Maybe He-mans toro,upper arms,and upper legs,with a totaly new head sculpt.I know that my post here really has nothing to do with the thread topic,but if they are just bringing the 8-back card art to life then thats prolly what Skeletor would look like.IMO.
    My active ebay items for sale.http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/taddow...Q_fromZQQ_mdoZ
    --------------------------------------------
    GOOD TRADERS
    jbaw2, Dr.Omega, Andrea_the_cat@yahoo.it, tmcclurg, celticsfan, THEGODBEAST, Venom77713, Royalt1us, racerx, davidlogan, granbeetle, MOTU SAN JOSE 2, prime731,galaxywarrior,Butterflyer,Creasy Bear.

Lycan
    Classics definately. In looks and style.
    If they'd had their special features aswell.. well.. it'd be a dreamlike perfection for me.
    What next? It seems every month lately there is something..

Classics all the way.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Honestly? I like both 200X and Classic looks, and I believe there is enough room for both in the MOTU world.