Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU CLASSICS VS MOTU 2002 Line. Which style do you prefer the most?

200X/Stactions

Quote Originally Posted by Flor2099 View Post
    I've already had these designs for the last 25 years. I much prefer the mature look of the 200X line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge View Post
    My biggest problem with the Classics line is the logistical failure that comes from sharing molds:

Yes, it's what I grew up on, and yes nostalgia will drive me to buy the first few... but once I'm paying 20 bucks a pop for the same arms and legs in different colors... over and over again... nope, just won't cut it for me.
    That’s exactly my feeling. Why wait for one figure a month when you can probably find all of them sitting in your basement or attic. Because of this I really don't see this line lasting very long. Hate so say it but.
    Last edited by force Capt.; July 27, 2008 at 05:03pm.

Quote Originally Posted by force Capt. View Post
    Thatís exactly my feeling. Why wait for one figure a month when you can probably find all of them sitting in your basement or attic. Because of this I really don't see this line lasting very long. Hate so say it but.
    I'm with this crowd.

This line seems like its trying to serve the purpose of the commemorative series, which accomplished its goal. Many of us still have our old figures, and some of us have the old figures as well as the commemorative line. So, why do we need a third line that's pretty much identical?

I like the retro colors of the MOTUC figures a lot, but the look just seems too dated, and these don't even look like they're representing human beings but rather some kind of almost-human, semi-deformed race of beings in which an earthling like Queen Marlena would not fit at all.

I prefer classics 2008.
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Both.

Sorry, but I don't like the body reuse form the 80's. It's a cost cutting measure, but the 200X line has spoiled us. Mer-man and Stinkor are two different characters, everyone doesn't have the same underwear and now you see nifty little details like the green part of MAA's armor that it now looks like armor and not green skin.

At the same time, some of the design things from 200X were questionable too. They improved on most character designs and their stories, but examples like that tech Power Sword, Egyptian Sorceress, teen Teela, sillier Clawful and Whiplash and the wussy looking He-Man figure. I've heard people comment how weak he looked compared to his 'roided out 80's look.

If anything, I'd be up for a beefed up 200x line that fixes many of the problems that it suffered from. Maybe MOTUC can do 80's and 200x characters EQUALLY. Some of those MOTU characters were different characters in both of those series.

Co-Creator of the NV
    I like different things about each of the lines.

200x has far superior sculpting and design. Also, the figures aren't all the same size, which is a big plus. But the articulation was crap. MOTUC on the other hand has good articulation.

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Again. This is not the 80's, we are not kids anymore. We are collectors and we appreciate quality figures, not a bunch of "new" figures with the same torso, arms and legs in different colors. Mattel in the 80's trick us as kids with clone figures but now after the 200x series we can't be happy when the announcement of that they are going to re-used parts. I prefer 6 or 8 great waves than 12 or so recycle waves. Don't get me wrong I love He-Man and MOTU and I support this line 100%, and probable I'm a little upset because I'm gone get whatever they made, but Mattel have done some damage to this line in the past and I think is time for them to do something right since they said that this MOTUC is for the fans. They should made some unique figures instead of clones again and think about the quality of their product, not in become more rich selling recycle parts. So with that in mind please stop pretend be happy with the re-used parts thing. No chase, no variant or re-paint this time. We deserve better. This is my opinion and I have no intention to offend anybody.

three..........two...........one---------------FIGHT !!!

CLASSIC Wins

There should have been a pole. The "others" would have gotten a whoopin! Just kidding guys!

Chris here...

Quote Originally Posted by SirBushnell View Post
    I kind of agree with this. I think the problem, though, is that the next year the entire line changed from He-man and the Masters of the Universe (okay, the toys didn't say He-man specifically, but the cartoon did) to Masters of the Universe vs The Snakemen. The cards changed color from red to green, and even He-man got brand new permanent armor in the cartoon. So, it was almost like two distinct lines, even though the style was the same.

I think that is why so many of us say 200x. It shows that both lines are looked upon as one, rather than just focusing on the original reboot in 2002.
    Actually, the reason why I say "200X" is because here in the UK where I live, the line wasn't released until 2003!

Quote Originally Posted by force Capt. View Post
    Thatís exactly my feeling. Why wait for one figure a month when you can probably find all of them sitting in your basement or attic. Because of this I really don't see this line lasting very long. Hate so say it but.
    With no intention to offend anyone, the thing that I can't quite understand is folks saying "Look at these figures, they're identical to the original 1980s figures which we already have!" First of all, no they're not - yes, the characters have been created using the classic look and style of the original figures, whereas the 200X () toyline showed us re-designs of the characters, which is the key difference. But, these are not the same as the 1980s figures - just for starters, they're super-articulated, whereas the classic toys had just 5 points of articulation. Next up, the sculpts are (albeit in some cases subtly) different and more detailed. Thirdly, if you look at the figures of Beast Man and Mer-Man in particular, IMO they are quite different from the 1980s figures - instead, they are plastic realisations of the old 1980s cardback artwork, which itself was more detailed than the figures it represented.

Now, if someone's beef with these figures is that the use the same style as the originals, and they would prefer something fresh (such as the 200X line), that I can definitely understand - but, IMO there's no way that these figures can be written off as being nothing than more than copies of the originals just because they're evocative of that style. Just my $0.02!

Take care...
    Part of the "Kidult" craze long before it was a thing! : )

Quote Originally Posted by He-Fan View Post
    Actually, the reason why I say "200X" is because here in the UK where I live, the line wasn't released until 2003!
    Then... thank goodness I moved!

Quote Originally Posted by He-Fan View Post
    With no intention to offend anyone, the thing that I can't quite understand is folks saying "Look at these figures, they're identical to the original 1980s figures which we already have!" First of all, no they're not - yes, the characters have been created using the classic look and style of the original figures, whereas the 200X () toyline showed us re-designs of the characters, which is the key difference. But, these are not the same as the 1980s figures - just for starters, they're super-articulated, whereas the classic toys had just 5 points of articulation. Next up, the sculpts are (albeit in some cases subtly) different and more detailed. Thirdly, if you look at the figures of Beast Man and Mer-Man in particular, IMO they are quite different from the 1980s figures - instead, they are plastic realisations of the old 1980s cardback artwork, which itself was more detailed than the figures it represented.
    I'm pretty sure that the new figures are bigger, too. Taller, larger, more muscles, and they can stand up straight!

They're more like the versions that we'd have loved to get as kids minus the action features... which is a trade-off considering that nowadays most of us don't sit around and play with them (so we were happy with what we had at the time but can be just as happy with what we're getting now).
    Last edited by SirBushnell; July 27, 2008 at 09:01pm.

SirBushnell SPEAKS!

Get ready for a future with a magical blend of science fiction and fantasy. A brand new legend. A whole new war.
    It's coming...

I great prefer the 200X look. I have a feeling that the new "classics" look are for those people that just want to have their 80's line back again with added posability and some extra detailing that wasn't possible with the production of the original line.

I think my problem is that I wasn't a huge fan of the 80's line, save for a few characters, so this reliance on fan nostalgia to get the exact same figures they had when we were kids doesn't work with me all that well. I loved the 200X line. I absolutely LOVED the designs, and thought that nearly every detail from the original figures (every pouch or line of armor or molded accessory) was redone 1:1 to create very dynamic looking characters that were almost perfect updates of the originals. Beast Man blew me away, as did many of the later characters like Snout Spout. They still had almost every detail from the original figures, but were updated enough to really be something new and exciting.

That's why I got brought back into this franchise again (Before MotU 200X, I was only interested in Transformers), but I see the Classics line and all I see are posable versions of the 80's toys, and that does nothing for me. I had those already. I've seen it all. As an aside, however, I WISH that the 200X line had this level of posability. I think that could only have helped it.

As an example, it seems a lot of people really dig Zodac. I can't stand the look myself. The three toed clawed lizard feet and GIANT spikey forearms look wildly out of place on an otherwise perfectly shaped human character. As a casual fan, I think it looks rather silly, but from those that like it, I see the same comment: "It looks exactly like the 80's version."

So anyway, I greatly prefer the 200X line and can only hope that the Classics line might eventually put in a couple of 200X styled characters to draw in the more casual people like me. In the meantime, as I've said before, I couldn't be happier for those people who have been waiting many years for an incarnation like this. It's very rare nowadays to get product released like this that is exactly what you've always hoped for.

(And before anyone argues with my points, they are how I see things. Again, I'm more of a casual fan, and when I see the Classic line, I see the 80's figures almost exactly, with only minor touch ups. That's just what I see when I look at them, so you can argue with that all you want, but that's how it is. )
    Last edited by Galmorzu; July 27, 2008 at 09:16pm.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Heroic Master of Typos davidlogan's Avatar
    So far the stactions are the best MOTU "figures" I have seen. And I'd love to see a few of them with articulation added to this line.

But, in the meantime, the Classics line is going to be a lot of fun too! I know I'm on board. And really excited about that Zodac and Merman! They both look great!

I hope the MOTUC's line is as diverse as Mattel hinted it could be. Figures from all the various MOTU version as well as some 200X style figures mixed in.
    "..."

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Straight Edge that post was hilarious, and while I think you're taking it slightly too seriously I really can't disagree with most of what you're saying.

But I do think it's a little premature for anyone to have such a clear view of which is better at this point.
    We don't know for certain that just because character X shared arms and legs with character Y in the 80's that the MOTUC figure will too until we see it.

At this point though, if I HAD to say which style I prefer, I think I would go with 200x mostly because of my appreciation for the 4H as amazing artists.

I'm just a huge fan of what they do, and their design sense, the overall feel of the line, was really amazing! The redesigns, from hands and feet to weapons and accessories, costume ideas, on and on. Seeing each new character updated as the line progressed all the way through the Stactions was being able to witness a tour de force of action figure skills almost without peer.

And that's the thing. With MOTUC, they're not really designing anything. They're making larger, better sculpted, more articulated, better painted . . . all in all, better, versions of designs which already exist.

My least favorite 200x figures were those the 4H didn't get to design, which is, of course, no coincidence.

Will I support the MOTUC line? Of course!
    I know a lot of people have huge vintage/commemorative collections, but I actually have none, having eBayed what I did have many years ago because I needed the room.
    So for me, this line is a great way to re-own the figures I grew up with without feeling sort of "eh" when you look at them with modern adult eyes.

As Scare Glow was saying in another thread, these MOTUC are what we see in our heads when we fondly remember our 80's figures, what we wish they could've looked like.

Long story short: nostalgia factor makes MOTUC rule, but 200x rules because of how incredibly talented the 4H are, all-around.

Easy choice: 200x designs all the way.

I will probably not be buying the MotUClassics with the old designs. I heard it mentioned that Mattel MIGHT do some figures in the 200x design that weren't released like Clawful and I soooo hope they do.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    Straight Edge that post was hilarious, and while I think you're taking it slightly too seriously I really can't disagree with most of what you're saying.

But I do think it's a little premature for anyone to have such a clear view of which is better at this point.
    We don't know for certain that just because character X shared arms and legs with character Y in the 80's that the MOTUC figure will too until we see it.
    Actually, I'm pretty sure it's already been stated that if the characters (figures) shared parts in the '80s line, they'll share the same parts in the MOTUC line (so Moss Man will be the same figure as Beast Man but colored differently just as Mer-Man and Zodac are the same except for their heads).

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Heroic Warrior
    Classics all the way! This shouldn't even be debatable.

Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    Nah, don't worry, I'm not taking it too seriously. The 4H redesigns obviously had a lot of thought behind them, and they were looking at the shortcomings of the original line and found ways to for each character to make sense. Now, that's all I can see. The Classic figures are the Ultimate representation of what was, in the end, the *Prototype* Master of the Universe.

The 2002 line is the distillation of those rough ideas into a more mature, full-realized fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Flor2099 View Post
    I've already had these designs for the last 25 years. I much prefer the mature look of the 200X line.
    What he said.

I've been following this MOTUC update for a little while now and apart from the hefty price tag, I'm quite excited about the Classics line as a whole.

I loved the classic toys, and I also equally loved the 200X updates. Those new character designs by 4H were simply fantastic - excluding some of the weaker Mattel-inspired versions of He-Man (Snake Hunter, etc etc..)

I'm hearing a lot of complaining about the new line and that's just kinda sad, in my opinion. Was it not this general shape, size and styling that got the majority of us to fall in love with MOTU in the first place? As has been said before, the great thing about the Classics line is that it updates the original figures to how we remembered them looking when we were kids. It's very surreal, and that description itself doesn't make sense unless you were one of those young kids in the 80s, but that's the best explanation I can give for my enthusiasm for this line.

However surely there's another reason to love the line that most people have overlooked - or at least not mentioned as far as I know:
    Many figures not initially sold as action figures in the 200X line were later released as stactions. And yes, although they were single-handedly the most fantastic-looking of all the lines to date, what was the number one complaint people had with them? No articulation! I myself have spent countless hours wi****lly looking at my Hordak staction (amongst others..) and wishing, "I wish, I wish, I wish you could be poseable or at least have some degree of playability!!"

So while some of us are griping about a lack of action features and doubting the credibility of the Classics line, I see it as a chance to rebuy slightly updated versions of the original toys I so love. Sure, they're not restyled or "re-invented" to the degree of the 200X line, but compared to minature statues I'll take posability over immobility any day! I for one fully intend to rebuy Hordak, as well as Snout Spout, Stinkor and Leech - each whom I already have in staction form.
    It's also a chance to FINALLY get Scare Glow, Spikor, Extendar and many others right?

Lastly, I know there are some people out there who also didn't much care for the look of one or two updated statues. I myself didn't like Rio Blast or the new Sssqueeze either. But you can bet that if the MOTUC line reproduces them in a style similar to the originals then I'll be buying two of each every time!

EDIT: Apparently w.i.s.t.f.u.l.l.y is censored?

John Cena doesn't suck Andy Adams's Avatar
    I really like the Classics style because I remember going into the store when the commemmorative issues came out then ended & hated that they didn't keep going. I do cherish my oldies but some of them no longer can take the beatings that they used to & some are way too much to try to even aquire or replace, & if things do start pickig up steam then maybe my commemmorative & vintage set might finally sort of end up finished.

Of course, I'm going to get these for several reasons, 1 the MoC collector in me just needs lots & lots of help, 2 ripping them open just for my kids sake, 3 becasue maybe 200x & the stats may someday get a comeback too because of these, 4 the rubber bands that connect everything together wont get warped & make them fall over all of the time, 5 the customizer in me hates those darn rubber bands too, 6 there just damn cool to me.

It's not fair to say I like them 100 times better than 200x though I'll admit, they had some descent things thrown in there with awesome skulpts too, plus they can make a good base for most customs....I think mattel just left a bad taste in my mouth for 200x because of all of their mstakes & blaming the fans for it's failure.

I'd definately buy a 200x ninjor, rokkon, Scare Glow, extendar, & probably many others in that style, but for now this is Mattel's plan & like I said maybe it'll get to that.
    It's not falling down that defines character, everyone falls down....it's how you get back up.

I love MotU, and I can appreciate it in almost any style. In fact the more styles I can get it in, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge View Post
    The 4H redesigns obviously had a lot of thought behind them, and they were looking at the shortcomings of the original line and found ways to for each character to make sense. Now, that's all I can see. The Classic figures are the Ultimate representation of what was, in the end, the *Prototype* Master of the Universe.

The 2002 line is the distillation of those rough ideas into a more mature, full-realized fiction.
    Well said, and I fully agree, but I don't think that should preclude anyone from enjoying the MotUC line either. It may not be the full blown MotU unleashed type of style that we were graced with in the 200X line, but it is a more refined look at the line that made He-man an icon. The 200X fig's were like modern remakes of an old classic, and the MotUC line is like the directors cut of the old classic. All of them are enjoyable for what they are.

As far as re-using parts goes- check this out.

I don't know what you guys think, but I LOVE it! Sure webbed feet make zero sense on Zodak, and neither do the finned forearms, but it's a throwback, and I think it's fantastic. (Notice that the re-use of parts isn't universal- Mer-man has three fingered hands, Zodac has 4.)

As for the possibility of the line failing due to the close resemblance to the vintage line- I doubt it. If that were true than the toy-shelves wouldn't have all of those 3 3/4" GI joes that look so much like their 80's counterparts. Hasbro has been selling those things for years now, and that line started as an on-line collector's club exclusive IIRC.

Sorry, but I'm in the minority. I like both lines. I loved the original since it's what I grew up with. I love the 200X line cause it was a re imagining of the line I love and it gave me a chance to buy again the characters I had as a child. The new Classics line is again giving me the characters I love and this time the added articulation that was missing from the 200X line.
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Classics

i am a child of the "sword & sorcery" era. Buscema (Conan Barbarian), MOTU package artwork from the 80's, the MOTU DC comics were some of the things i grew up liking. i do like anime - for example - as well and some of these new cartoons of now a days (new TMNT, Pokemon), but for me nothing ever beats the old-school and the good old fashioned sword & sorcery stuff. The same goes with music - there hasn't been an better act up today than what Slayer was in 80's and early 90's.

There is that old saying - "if it ain't broken, why fix it?" That sums my thoughts about MOTU Classics up pretty well. Little fine tune, better sculpts and detailing, and ofcourse articulation for us grown up geeks and that's perfect. No need to re-invent the wheel again!

This line is providing an old-schooler like me a dream come true. And, i do love the fact they use the same body-parts on different characters. i'd be insulted if they didn't! Old-school....

heidi
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Well I appreciate each line for what they are so they are both winners for me.
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar