Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: MOTU CLASSICS VS MOTU 2002 Line. Which style do you prefer the most?

I loved the 2x and I'm sad for the stactions but now I'm really excited for this "new" line.
    I just cannot stand King Grayskull. It's really ugly...
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...

What I like about MOTUC

Muscles Ė These guys look huge. Thatís probably what I loved about MOTU when I was a kid. Not only are the MOTUC figures more muscular, but they look more realistic as well. The 200X line had more of a square look to the muscles that didnít look as realistic.

Nostalgia Ė I like how the sculpts and color schemes are inspired by the original toy line. When looking at these figures, I feel like a kid again. I know that because of copyright reasons Mattel canít use Filmation designs, but I actually prefer it that way. I love that He-Man looks like an updated version of his original figure rather than the Filmation design.

What I like about 200X

Articulation Ė Too much articulation can interfere with the sculpt details (although, no signs of this so far). Iím also worried that the excess articulation of the MOTUC may detract from the Nostalgia factor. I think the 200X articulation was perfect: not too little or too much.

Action Features Ė Action features was one of the things that made the original line so appealing. Although the 200X designs were not exactly like the originals, the action features of some 200X figures really brought back childhood memories. In particular, He-Manís spring action waist, Meckaneckís neck, and Cy-Cloneís waist twirling action. If I were to compare a 200X Meckaneck w/ a MOTUC version, Iíd say that the action feature of the 200X version would feel more nostalgic than the 80ís inspired design of the MOTUC version.

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    [Action features was one of the things that made the original line so appealing.
    It's defintely bad that those AF don't have any gimmick.
    If the line will be a success maybe la Mattel can be reconsider the thing.
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...

Every line has been very cool; from the vintage original until now. I love the classic look just like the card-art! I have waited about 30 years to get that Mer-Man! 2002's line was a fab. rehash. I like them all, well except NA. I'm excited about it... I really want a MOTUC Battlecat and possibly Castle Grayskull! I have nothing negative to say, since 2000 we have been blessed with the commemorative line, the 200x line, and now these awesome classics... All the fans should feel like He-Man does indeed have the power. I have been a fan since 1980-1 and I love the original painted comics / books best. No Adam, or Orko and that silly-ness (although I did love the original cartoon, just not as much as my first intro. which was the comics). So now the MOTUC looking just like the paintings... Well that is the BEST thing ever. I think the cost MUST include shipping if Mattel wants folks to get them all. Seriously that extra $5-7 for shipping will make or break the line for most fans I think.
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

Heroic Warrior

200x for J-Sun

Quote Originally Posted by Flor2099 View Post
    I've already had these designs for the last 25 years. I much prefer the mature look of the 200X line.
    Ditto.

I like MOTUC more than the 200X personally. The MOTUC is what I call a revamp of the classic. 200X was more of a departure overall for me design and sculpt wise and I prefer "chunky" action figures. Of course my tune may change after years pass and I look back on the MOTUC. My opinion is ever evolving!

Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    If that were true than the toy-shelves wouldn't have all of those 3 3/4" GI joes that look so much like their 80's counterparts. Hasbro has been selling those things for years now, and that line started as an on-line collector's club exclusive IIRC.
    The 25th Anniversary line only started last year (Literally, August 2007), and began as a mass-market, regular toyline the same as it is now.

If you're thinking of the DTC (Direct to Consumer) repaints from 2005, which were packaged on vintage-style cards, those things never sold well, that's why Hasbro had to shop them out to Toys R Us in the hopes they'd find a more profitable venue for them. It never happened, and Hasbro only produced three waves of 6 figures for that line. Waves 1 and 2 were sold on-line only in 2005, then Waves 2 and 3 were sold in Toys R Us, where they sat and festered for most of 2006.

The first wave sold well because Hasbro used new figure molds meant for Robot Rebellion, a follow-up to Valor vs Venom that never happened because GIJoe failed to sell in stores. So Joe fans snatched up the first Wave, getting 4 brand new sculpts and two well-done remolds. But waves 2 and 3 were haphazard repaints of the same crappy figures that no one bought in Valor vs Venom, so the line died.

If anything, despite the retro packaging and classic characters, the fate of the GIJoe DTC line is as analogous to what I fear for MOTUC as you can get.

Trust me when I say I am very happy for the classics line, but I much prefer the designs of the 4 Horsemen. They were fresh and new and brought about an entire new dimension to an old favorite.

The classics line? To me it's just the 80's line with articulation.
    "You can not fight the darkness He-man!"-Shokoti-the Queen of Darkness

Arizona Mazter of the Universe

Sheboygan,WI(Home of the Worlds Biggest Bratwurst Celebration)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge View Post

None of that will happen with the Classics line. Hordak, as well as Whiplash, Stinkor, and Kobra Khan, will be saddled with aqua-alien feet.
    I'd have to disagree on this,but agree at the same time aswell.True that Stinkor,and Kobra Khan will have the same arms and feet.But Hordak had completely different arms and feet on the 80's figure.So the Motuc figure will have different arms and feet,no "bad guy",or "good guy" specific arms or feet,but a new sculpt.Hordak only shared torso's and crotches with most of the Motu figures from the 80'sBut that was it.Everything else on the Horday figure was a new sculpt.And Whiplash will probably have the same "bad guy" arms that Skeletor and most other evil doers had,but he again had different feet as well,which were only shared with Clawful(the later version,so I guess that one is still up in the air.His figure could go both ways) and Buzz-Off
    My active ebay items for sale.http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/taddow...Q_fromZQQ_mdoZ
    --------------------------------------------
    GOOD TRADERS
    jbaw2, Dr.Omega, Andrea_the_cat@yahoo.it, tmcclurg, celticsfan, THEGODBEAST, Venom77713, Royalt1us, racerx, davidlogan, granbeetle, MOTU SAN JOSE 2, prime731,galaxywarrior,Butterflyer,Creasy Bear.

Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyDell View Post
    I love the classic look just like the card-art! I have waited about 30 years to get that Mer-Man! I have been a fan since 1980-1 and I love the original painted comics / books best. So now the MOTUC looking just like the paintings... Well that is the BEST thing ever.
    But therein lies the rub. Those "Original 8" are SOLD, for me as well as you.

But that's because the 4H actually *betrayed* the simplicity of the vintage *toys*, for the exotic and moody mini-comic art. Mer-man is *not* a reproduction of your 25 year-old toy with new articulation. It's an interpretation of a completely different, superior source.

What happens when Mattel runs out of mini-comic art to make these figures something different? Indeed, what we who prefer the 2002 line have been saying in a number of threads... that later figures that were goofy in execution, they came at a time when Mattel had asserted control over the designs. So the toy looked like the comic, looked like the cartoon... what is Mattel going to draw from to make the Classics figures better?

The choice then is to slavishly remake the goofy toy and hope nostalgia drives sales even with the clunkers and misfires, or to create a new interpretation of that character, who has no nostalgic pull and is little more than a glorified 2002 redesign shoved under the then-meaningless "Classics" Banner.

The Scare is in the Glow! Scare Glow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BURTDAWG View Post
    I'd have to disagree on this,but agree at the same time aswell.True that Stinkor,and Kobra Khan will have the same arms and feet.But Hordak had completely different arms and feet on the 80's figure.So the Motuc figure will have different arms and feet,no "bad guy",or "good guy" specific arms or feet,but a new sculpt.Hordak only shared torso's and crotches with most of the Motu figures from the 80'sBut that was it.Everything else on the Horday figure was a new sculpt.And Whiplash will probably have the same "bad guy" arms that Skeletor and most other evil doers had,but he again had different feet as well,which were only shared with Clawful(the later version,so I guess that one is still up in the air.His figure could go both ways) and Buzz-Off

I agree. One of the big spiels with this line is how itís meant to pay homage to the classic designs, right down to every minor facet. If that means half of the first run share more parts than not, well thatís how itís going to be. But . . . it also means that anything which was unique in the vintage line will also be individually realized in this contemporary interpretation.

Leech will be a completely unique sculpt, for example. The Rock Warriors Ė if made Ė will be unique. King Hiss will be all new tooling. Well, you get the idea, and I donít want this becoming too redundant.

The big issue here is that if these initial batches donít sell well enough, we wonít get to those unique sculpts later. The retooling serves to make the classics period and source accurate, but it also makes them cheaper to produce. Thatís a big part of why Mattel went this route. If these do well, I suspect the sophistication in this line will increase, and sooner rather than later.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    I love MotU, and I can appreciate it in almost any style. In fact the more styles I can get it in, the better.

Well said, and I fully agree, but I don't think that should preclude anyone from enjoying the MotUC line either. It may not be the full blown MotU unleashed type of style that we were graced with in the 200X line, but it is a more refined look at the line that made He-man an icon. The 200X fig's were like modern remakes of an old classic, and the MotUC line is like the directors cut of the old classic. All of them are enjoyable for what they are.

As far as re-using parts goes- check this out.

I don't know what you guys think, but I LOVE it! Sure webbed feet make zero sense on Zodak, and neither do the finned forearms, but it's a throwback, and I think it's fantastic. (Notice that the re-use of parts isn't universal- Mer-man has three fingered hands, Zodac has 4.)

As for the possibility of the line failing due to the close resemblance to the vintage line- I doubt it. If that were true than the toy-shelves wouldn't have all of those 3 3/4" GI joes that look so much like their 80's counterparts. Hasbro has been selling those things for years now, and that line started as an on-line collector's club exclusive IIRC.
    I like both lines...but I've gotta tell ya...that comparison shot of Zodac and Mer-Man show just how well the 4H are able to disguise reused parts. I love that the 4H are taking the classic designs and updating them while at the same time adding a slight touch of 4H detail.

So, as I said I also loved the 200X. It was great and would have been awesome had it continued. But, I'm very pleased with the direction MotUC is taking and I can't wait to start ordering my figures!

Court Magician

200x are for me

To be honest, I think these new "classics" are just a ploy to regenerate interest and make more money. I bet if/when a movie comes out, there will be a whole new line again.

When the 200x line came out it was everything that I wished MOTU was when I was a kid and then looking back at the old toys, I was kinda like..."pretty crappy". I was thrilled that the scale of the 200x line was correct and not short and wide. I also enjoyed and appreciated the "true" scale with the stactions and not sure why the line died. I was truly hoping for a staction of the Skeletor statue that was released, as well as other cool characters.

I guess it just comes down to it being an "action figure" for most fans, but I'd rather have great design, than just a re-hash of all the toys that I had growing up. I already have those and would rather keep that in my childhood. I am getting King Grayskull, but so far, I do not see any others that I will be getting to support this line.

Mattel messed it up for the 200x line with bad case ratios and too many varients of he-man and skeletor. I assume this is their way of making it up to the fans, but unfortunately it doesn't benefit me.

I love both, but still vastly prefer 200X. That line is more or less complete for me, so I'm ready to move on to this MotUC line, which will be fun.

" Ö the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few Ö "
    " Ö or the one Ö "

{ @Lioncourt on Twitter | MastersCast | My Blog }

I like both, but in the end CLASSICS destroys 200x. Anyone that thinks the 200x line looks more mature then the CLASSICS needs to hold KG in one hand and the 200x heman in the other. The CLASSICS are far more mature looking. CLASSICS actually have decent paint aps. To me these look like the type of figure you would pay a premium for and buy in a specialty shop. The 200x at this point looks closer to what you would get in a happy meal at MCdonalds (maybe seeing scaled down identical versions in happy meals helped me think this way.

I'm starting to wonder if everyone has there 200x figures tucked away in boxes somewhere and hasn't looked at them since 2002. Sure they are cool looking, but they are already outdated in comparison to these CLASSICS.

Furthermore I wasn't big on all the redesigned outfits and looks of the 200x line. The sword was especially awful.

Quote Originally Posted by xBBestx View Post
    I like both, but in the end CLASSICS destroys 200x. Anyone that thinks the 200x line looks more mature then the CLASSICS needs to hold KG in one hand and the 200x heman in the other. The CLASSICS are far more mature looking. CLASSICS actually have decent paint aps. To me these look like the type of figure you would pay a premium for and buy in a specialty shop. The 200x at this point looks closer to what you would get in a happy meal at MCdonalds (maybe seeing scaled down identical versions in happy meals helped me think this way.

I'm starting to wonder if everyone has there 200x figures tucked away in boxes somewhere and hasn't looked at them since 2002. Sure they are cool looking, but they are already outdated in comparison to these CLASSICS.

Furthermore I wasn't big on all the redesigned outfits and looks of the 200x line. The sword was especially awful.
    Why does everyone keep using that he-man figure as the epitome of what the 200x line was? IMO, it was one of the absolute worst sculpted figures from the 200X line. I consider Snake Armor, or the SDCC classic He-man staction to be the epitome of He-man from that line, and I think they both looked incredible. Heck, Ice Armor He-man himself looked MUCH better than the actual he-man toy we were given.

And I look at my 200X line every single day, and am still way more impressed with how they looked over the Classic line (again, personal taste, see my earlier posts in a couple of other threads). To say the 200X line looked like happy meal toys just blows my mind. Two-bad, Hordak, Jitsu, Fisto, Snout Spout, Whiplash...these guys all looked downright awesome.

The classics just don't look "cool" to me, they look..kind of silly. Again, total personal preference, and I say that because the parts used (hello, Zodac) or the proportions make them appear that way to me. Merman I kinda dig, but I'm not at all impressed with the line so far. Not to say, for the umpteenth time, that they aren't cool as heck for those that have been wanting this style, but for me they don't do anything.

My point is that a lot of your points here are subjective, so enjoy them because you think they look friggin' awesome, which, in their own right, they do. There's no need for people to keep putting down the 200X line so aggressively. It wasn't your thing, so be it, just like the Classics line isn't the thing for a number of people around here.

I'm just getting a bit worn out by how..unfriendly a lot of posts are making these forums lately. Just enjoy the fact that we're getting all of this cool stuff finally! And if the style doesn't work for you, so be it. The tone that some posts are taking lately (on both sides of the argument) aren't going to change anything other than the atmosphere of the forums. And just to note, this doesn't really relate to xBBestx's post, it's just the vibe that's coming across lately.

And just on a last note, there is one thing I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing in the Classic line, and will buy without hesitation. King Hiss is guaranteed to blow away the 200X line version!
    Last edited by Galmorzu; July 28, 2008 at 12:53pm.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Court Magician

I'll have to disagree with ya . I don't have KG yet, but I've seen a side by side comparison. Plus, Mattel limited the detail that would have been done with the 200x figures. The stactions so far have been the best design, in my opinion.

Outdated Aren't the new classics the same as the original toys, just with a few tweeks, more details, and articulation? I've yet to see anything that looks mature looking. If anything, they look more of how someone may remember what the old toys look like (if they don't have or really remember the originals).

Also, I still have both 200x figures and stactions on display, cause I love 'em

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

You have a good example on He-Man. But I mostly disagree. The Horsemen didn't do everything perfect on 200x, but their designs were largely a step up. Everyone had the loincloths, but they were all unique. Even characters with the same parts were made to look different. Stinkor wasn't a black Mer-Man with Mekaneck armor. He was his own unique character.

But hold up 200X MAA compared to 1980's MAA. Better sculpted armor than green skin. And compare Jitsu's 200X staction to his 80's toy. Heck, compare Webstors.

Quote Originally Posted by Flor2099 View Post
    I've already had these designs for the last 25 years. I much prefer the mature look of the 200X line.
    Year me to . While I'm totally stoked with the new Classics line I did much prefer the 200x line and wish NECA had been able to continue it.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

I saw that comparison pick of the king grayskulls, and was bummed as well. An hour ago I got a KG in hand and I have already posted on here, that comparison pic does not do it justice. The lighting in that photo ruins the amazing paint wash the figure has.

And you people keep going on about the stactions, to me that is not part of the 200x line. Those are statues not action figures. The 200x line is the line released by mattel. I enjoyed that line, but to me the classics are already looking far better, and way less juvenile.

I don't get why people keep saying the classics look juvenile and 200x is more mature. Hold a classic figure in your hand. They aren't juvenile in the slightest. Maybe they come off that way in pics but they aren't in person.

And furthermore these aren't just updates of the originals with articulation. They are entirely new sculpts. They are inspired by the originals, but are an a whole new level. A mature level I would say.

Court Magician
    I saw that comparison pick of the king grayskulls, and was bummed as well. An hour ago I got a KG in hand and I have already posted on here, that comparison pic does not do it justice. The lighting in that photo ruins the amazing paint wash the figure has.

And you people keep going on about the stactions, to me that is not part of the 200x line. Those are statues not action figures. The 200x line is the line released by mattel. I enjoyed that line, but to me the classics are already looking far better, and way less juvenile.

I don't get why people keep saying the classics look juvenile and 200x is more mature. Hold a classic figure in your hand. They aren't juvenile in the slightest. Maybe they come off that way in pics but they aren't in person.

And furthermore these aren't just updates of the originals with articulation. They are entirely new sculpts. They are inspired by the originals, but are an a whole new level. A mature level I would say.
    I guess it's just an agree to disagree instance. I understand how some of the 200x action figures look more childish or what I would call "toy-ish", which can make it look more juvenile. However, I can't say that about Beast Man, Evil-Lyn, Teela, Trap-Jaw, and others. Overall, I think what many of us are saying is that the design of the 200x figures and stactions look better than the classics. Every sculpt was unique to the character. I don't like the whole re-using parts from others. It was too obvious with the old toys and it's not "cute" or "reminiscent" with the new classics. I think it just just comes down to taste and preference though. I like the darkness brought to the 4HM sculpts of the 200x. These new classics are okay, but I can't see spending more money on these when I already have the originals and have the 200x figures and stactions.

200x style is lonngg way better

200x i love:
    Webstor
    hordak
    jitsu
    king randor
    twobad
    whyplash
    mantenna
    clawful
    rattlor
    leech
    etc.. etc.
    the only ones i dont like too much is he-man(too skinny) and mossman(beastman with hair)

Motu classics
    -untill now the only figure i like is KG
    -zodac its ok but cmon those feets? make me remember the half man, half animal from narnia!!!! and please make him glove
    -Merman looks soooo goofy IMO, like he just came from a cartoon
    -i dont like he- man desing
    -beast man should be bigger cmon its suppose to be a beast!!
    motucustoms4sale@hotmail.com
    visit my albums:
    awesome trades with: harold, krosfyah, bobtheodd, Agostinho, boggs32, sallah, beastor
    Visit my facebook page 2917 likes already!!!!! XD
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...259610?sk=info

Absolutely. The flash totally washes him out and makes him shiny. The paint on the figure is outstanding.

I also didn't want a statue version at all, but once I opened him and saw how great of a job they did with that paint application, I'm very glad I have both.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I saw that comparison pick of the king grayskulls,
    and was bummed as well. An hour ago I got a KG in hand and I have already posted on here, that comparison pic does not do it justice. The lighting in that photo ruins the amazing paint wash the figure has.

The stactions were designed to be displayed WITH the action figures as though they were action figures themselves. That's why most of them are standing straight. So they do count. It's what we would have gotten if the 4H had their way.

You should wait a week on that one until others have their KG's in hand. People are saying that the Classics are "juvenile" because the 200X line improved upon the look PERIOD. Now MAA doesn't have Green skin. Stinkor isn't a black Mer-Man. That's what is "juvenile", the reuse of parts. People have grown past making a new MOTU character by mixing parts. Now they want characters to be their OWN characters.

Not quite. You're describing 200X. MAA will still have a He-Man body cast in green plastic, instead of just sculpting armor on him. People aren't willing to swallow that anymore, when they've seen better.

Some people just can't go back.

Well for those of you that can't go back continue to savor your old 200x line. For the rest of us we will enjoy He-Man and the Masters of the Universe the way it was always meant to be.