Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feel like you are starting over?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherguy View Post
    Having been a MOTU fan since I turned 5 in 1983, I am stoked to see the line getting going again. I hope this turns into the longest run for Mattel and He-Man, and then some.

But I have to admit, seeing the only-once-a-month releases, high price tag (when multiples come in to play), and honestly, worst of all, the fact that it seems we are starting from scratch all over again, this bums me out.

To use the old addage 'if it aint broke, dont fix it', well, of course the 200x line wasnt broken, save for some distro problems here and marketing problems here; so Mini-statues came in and were also perfect. I know in the eyes of Mattel these werent perfect so I TOTALLY understand WHY they must start over, and that is awesome, but man , I have been here from the start (as most of us here have) so here we go again.

Ah well, it should be a fun journey and I look forward to taking it. Again, I hope it lasts a long while. Anyone else feel like this or is it just me?
    It doesn't bum me out. I'm excited.

• We can get ML style MOTU characters from all eras
    • No action gimmicks messing with the sculpts
    • No more variants of He-Man and Skeletors
    • Mini-comics might return
    • Boxes will have bios
    • Finally box accurate classic figures (if you like Barbarian He-Man)
    • No more scalpers taking all the secondary characters
    • No more looking for figures only for stores to never have them in.

Unless they totally change the property with new characters, they are always going to start all over. The question is can we eventually make it to new characters once everyone else is done?

The babe with The Power Slackbot's Avatar
    I don't feel like I'm starting over. I may be the odd one out here, but MOTU for me was the stories, not the toys. I could count the characters I've bought figures of on the fingers of one hand, and none of them have "man" at the end of their names.

I'm happy for those who will buy and enjoy the toys, and pleased that MOTU is still alive. But it won't speak to me until it has a story to tell, whether in comic, movie, or TV form.
    Castle Numbskull
    Masters of The Universe stuff you won't find anywhere else.
    Thank goodness.

I do. I'm still on the fence about the whole line. I just don't know if I LOVE these enough to warrant the price tag. Plus, my financial situation has changed since the 200X line. If they were $10, I'd be down in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post
    Do Batman or Marvel fans feel they are starting over with each new line??

It's another take on our favourite characters.
    To me these are the connoisseur MOTU figures and I for one cannot wait!!
    I see what you mean, but then again, Batman and Marvel fans have MUCH more opportunity to collect than we do--and I say 'we' lightly because I am a huge Marvel Legends fan and actually collect some Batman stuff here and there.

MOTU has only come around 3 times in the past 3 decades--obviously not the case with Marvel and Batman. When Hasbro picked up Marvel Legends, I didnt feel any remorse because they continued making figures that hadnt been done before.

I have to admit, some of my frustration is knowing I cannot jump to a few diffrent Walmarts and Targets in search of these new figures, simply seeking that thrill of the hunt and possibly even a chase. But as long as Mattel makes these plentiful (even after the mad rush once they are released each month), then there should be no problem.

Now, that being said, I am QUITE HAPPY to see the news that next year there will be 2 figures never released ever, and 2 figures never released in 200x. Sounds like Mattel is trying very very hard to get it right, and for this I commend them. Especially if ScareGlow finds his way into this mix!

Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMoonKnight View Post
    I am worried that this line is going to not even make it as far as the staction line. The one-a-month release plan seems destined to lose interest over time, and the only way this line continues is with exceptional sales.
    I'm with you there, this line is not *guaranteed* to last long, or get to *any* of the obscure, latter-day characters that a lot of fans seem to be assuming will get made.

I think that's actually why I am not complaining about "Starting over", because I really see this as a short-term line, and for a small-scale effort, I'd want to see the originals and classics before anything else.

But if the line does die before 2009 is over, and I have the original 8 Mini-comic chracters, plus the Green Goddess and possibly a Battle Cat, I won't feel cheated or burned. I'll look at it as a testiment to MOTU's origins, and not a failed attempt to reproduce the entire original toyline.

Quote Originally Posted by claw guy 3 View Post
    Which one's broke? I didn't play with mine but they seemed durable enough.
    well.. my triklops' head fell off.. funny thing... I never even took the figure out of the package!
    Growing up happens in a heartbeat. One day you're in diapers; the next day you're gone... But the memories of childhood stay with you for the long haul. I remember a place... a town... a house like a lot of other houses... A yard like a lot of other yards... On a street like a lot of other streets. And the thing is... After all these years, I still look back with wonder...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
    well.. my triklops' head fell off.. funny thing... I never even took the figure out of the package!
    The same for my Trikops...I turned his head posing it and his head cracked right off!

well i wont feel like i am starting over.

i will feel like i am collecting a new line.

i never feel like im starting over with every new TF series.

i look at this classics line as a brand new line. they prob wont be mixed in much with my other lines but they'll be in the same general MOTU area. then again i dont mix classic/na/200x either. the only tome i do that is if i want to put all the beast men together, mer men, men at arms etc.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Starting over doesn't bother me at all. I'm on my 7th DC Super Heroes line (Captain Action, Mego, Super Powers, Hasbro/Kenner 5", DC Direct all came before, then DCUC and now Infinite Heroes). I'll now have four distinct He-Man lines, and that's fine with me, as long as this one lasts long enough for a good display to be made.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Sadly, I just don't have enough money to 're-collect' this entire line again. I will only be cherry picking the figures and characters that I really, really like. Also, I will buy stuff that I never owned, or was never made before like NINJOR, SEA HAWK, ROYAL PALACE GUARDS or ETERNIAN SOLDIERS.

Even at that, I can't complain. Frankly, I'm still amazed that this line is even happening at all.
    Odd Man Out

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    I`m in love with the idea of starting over. I don`t know about you guys but I see starting over as a new breath of life. It`s refreshing to have something to look foreward to. I wish October would hurry up!
    DITTO, I can't wait. between the classics, joe 25 and necas turtles it's making buying figures an awesome time again.

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    I will only be cherry picking the figures and characters that I really, really like.
    Same here, that's why I'm getting every single figure.

"Starting over" doesn't bother me in the least.
    My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Collector of Toys 4 Life
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    It doesn't bum me out. I'm excited.

We can get ML style MOTU characters from all eras
    No action gimmicks messing with the sculpts
    No more variants of He-Man and Skeletors
    Mini-comics might return
    Boxes will have bios
    Finally box accurate classic figures (if you like Barbarian He-Man)
    No more scalpers taking all the secondary characters
    No more looking for figures only for stores to never have them in.

Unless they totally change the property with new characters, they are always going to start all over. The question is can we eventually make it to new characters once everyone else is done?
    Very well put!!

another great thing is: no more rubberbands holding on their legs, no more springs in the waists to break, no more 'preposed' figures that don't stand properly and always fall over, or their heads break off.

I do hope they incorporate specific features for certain characters though. i can't imagine Mekanek or Extendar not having their 'extentions'. i want Mantenna to have his pop out eyes & snake face to have his pop out snakes. Hopefully they'll do that with interchangeable parts or something. I hope they don't lose what made motu unique in the first place by making them 'like every other figure on the market', just a poseable figure that doesn't really do anything special.
    i guess what I'm getting at is that I hope they don't make a Manefaces that doesn't change faces; that'd be just wrong! Or make several 'varients', each with a diff face. Again, wrong! Certain characters HAVE to have their special 'abilities' incorporated. I'm really interested in what they do with the snakemen, especially King Hiss!!!
    And i hope the ones like modulok & multibot can be arranged in various ways like the old figures. that shouldn't be hard to do at all. i'd love to have a new Spikor figure, a 200x styled Webstor, & any 200x style character that wasn't in the action figure line. And i'm also thrilled about the prospect of POP & NA figures, since i never collected either line back in the day because they didn't fit in the motu style. but the new ones will, so I'm excited to see them! And at long last some all new never before done characters, which is way long overdue. Yet another potentially great thing about this new toyline.

I see this new line as a 'replacement' for the old toyline, and if they make some 200x designs like as KG was, it'll replace those as well. so i hope they keep it going till all the characters are done (at least the ones I want, in the style I want)
    so yes, i'm also very excited about this new toyline, just as i was back in 2002 when that line was made, and the commemoratives that came before that. I really want this one to last, so that i can finally, at long last get a complete motu collection that I can display & be proud of.

It may be 'starting over' in a sense... but it's also a fresh new beginning. And i can't wait till it gets going again!!
    Lifelong fan of: MOTU, G.I.Joe, Transformers, most 'good' movies of any genre, Star Wars, oldies/classic rock & country music, WWE/WWF/WCW/NWA wrestling, old school circus sideshow performers & fictional movie 'creatures', my friends and family. oh, yes...and I love action figures!!!!!

Support MVCreations for MOTUC!!!!

I loved the King Grayskull figure, He looks awesome with a 200x feel. But He-Man,Beast Man & Merman r looking a bit tooooo 80's style to me & that I find is very dissapointing.

We were told that these figures were gonna be like a cross of 80's & 200x & Grayskull did look like that but these others so far look too 80's.

I have mixed feelings about these figures now. See wat happens.
    Xena & She-Ra Rule

Court Magician
    Yeah, the influence ratio is about 98% 80's to 2% 200x. That doesn't bother me, though; they look great for what they are. I'll be ecstatic, though, if they ever decide to resume releasing figures sculpted in the 200x style and incorporating the MOTUC articulation. A mere 1 per year would be enough to keep me satisfied.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Xena-She-Ra View Post
    I loved the King Grayskull figure, He looks awesome with a 200x feel. But He-Man,Beast Man & Merman r looking a bit tooooo 80's style to me & that I find is very dissapointing.

We were told that these figures were gonna be like a cross of 80's & 200x & Grayskull did look like that but these others so far look too 80's.

I have mixed feelings about these figures now. See wat happens.
    We were never told that they would be visually across between those styles. What we were told was that this line would be an update on the 80's figures, with articualtion and a few detail adjustments. And that the figures from the 200x line could be included. The characters not the style.

Why would Mattel turn around and sell a line of figures in a style that is less then 5yrs old, that failed? Or when the stactions were done in the 200x style and those failed. The 200x incarnation of MOTU had 2 lines and both failed. Why would a company try that again, especially when the stactions are less then 6months out from being put on ice?

This line was never advertised as a cross between 200x and the 80's, but as an update on the 80's designs in an ENTIRELY NEW line. I understand that the 200x line has a fan base, and that to some people it was their first real chance to experience the MOTU toy craze...but it just wasnt succesfull enough to warrant a third toy line...especially this close to its demise.

Also the only thing 200x about Grayskull is his character design. He looks like an updated 80's toy to me. Just that the character was heavy in 200x. I dont think he looks anything like the 200x line. Hes not hunching for one, or overly skinny. I too loved the 200x line, but it had its issues and those issues led to its untimly end, twice. And if you ever want a CHANCE to see anything even close to that style again you need to support this line (MOTUC). Because if it fails MOTU is done, maybe forever. No way will a company justify to its shareholders trying again with two (their own) fail lines in 5 years and one that anothe company tried and failed with. Not gonna happen.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    Same here, that's why I'm getting every single figure.
    Ha ha! Same here!!

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    The big difference this time around is it is A LOT BETTER!

Reasoning:

http://www.mattycollector.com

Mattel finally realized that this is the way to go. Not only does it make it easier to get things, but you don't have to drive all over looking for them using gas that costs $4.30 a gallon.

They are LISTENING to the fans more than they've ever been and it shows!

Screw Hasbro and their hasbrotoyshop even though I like Transformers and G.I.Joe too, they just don't compare to He-Man from that time period. Thank god Mattel finally came around with this and is giving us MOTU again in this manner!
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

IDK. I'm a huge MOTU fan, but I think I'm the only one who doesn't care for this new line at all. I loved the 200x line, and was bummed when it got cancelled. it was great to see it continue in the stactions line, but that too has died.

to me, the classic figures just aren't getting my interest. they look good, but they just don't pop the way the 200x line did. having seen king greyskull, he-man, beastman, merman and zodak and nothing there makes me really want to involve w/ this line.

would have much rather seen the 200x line continue

Sadly, I have lost interest in the new line...

• No more variants of He-Man and Skeletors (We already have two He-Man variants, King Greyskull and Classic, out of the first three figures available. We also won't be able to buy the "never before made" figures until the end of next year. Until then you have to Re-Buy the same characters again for a third time or more...)
    • No more scalpers taking all the secondary characters (Who needs scalpers when Mattel's web site is charging 20.00 for figures that would sell for 9.99 at a normal retail store. Even Hasbro's Online Exclusive Marvel Legends are less expensive and "bring more" to the table. Add shipping for each figure individually and it removes a lot of the incentive to buy. Lastly I would expect to pay 20.00 for a Titus or Graymare since Marvel Legend Icons are 12 inches tall and that price, with the direction this line is in they will probably be like 40.00)
    • No more looking for figures only for stores to never have them in. (Instead you will need to go to online stores when they stop offering the figure for sale like King Greyskull, and those prices will be outrageous.)

The one month wait between figures is gonna hurt this line. Like many collectors I like to buy in bulk (all the figs in a set at once) this is less (usually) expensive and the shipping cheaper. This is made impossible with the way the line is being sold. I also feel bad for the people who will jump on this late and want to start collecting and find out the figures are not for sale anymore
    Last edited by ZvedaFire; August 6, 2008 at 07:52pm.

I don't mind. Just as long as they don't start the whole variant thing. I really liked the 200x line. They were updated enough to be "modern" takes of the classic figures, but still be recognizeable.

I like the new figures because they are so close to the originals updated, with a more nostalgic look. Just wish they wern't so much...grrrrrrr

I don't mind the 1 a month, only because you're not blowing $60 for 3 figs every month, but just $20 (Unless you can get them from another source cheaper)

The only thing I didn't care for about the 200x line was the vehecles.... they were cool, but I would have perfered "modern" takes of the original Battle ram, and Wind raider, not a flying squirrel with robot wings and a saddle ...I kid, but you get the idea. I also didn't like Greyskull... I bought it, but still think the original is 1000 times better.

I don't know how I feel about the added articulation. I'm just so used to not having it, it seems weird to see so much of it, chopped into their bodies.. Oh well.