Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Is this e-mail from mattycollector or Mattel?

  1. #1
    The Scare is in the Glow! Scare Glow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,222

    Is this e-mail from mattycollector or Mattel?

    I got this weird e-mail today from a one Todd Guarino with this in subject line: ďAn update on DC Dark Knight items!Ē

    I donít know any Todd Guarino and there is no other info without opening the e-mail. Iíve never heard of spam labeled like this, and with the current odd and poorly constructed e-mails from Mattycollector, I have to wonder. I donít want to open it unless Iím sure of its origin though.

    Anyone else get this?

  2. #2
    Heroic Warrior Berzerker17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Nimrod, MN
    Posts
    312
    Quote Originally Posted by Scare Glow View Post
    I got this weird e-mail today from a one Todd Guarino with this in subject line: ďAn update on DC Dark Knight items!Ē

    I donít know any Todd Guarino and there is no other info without opening the e-mail. Iíve never heard of spam labeled like this, and with the current odd and poorly constructed e-mails from Mattycollector, I have to wonder. I donít want to open it unless Iím sure of its origin though.

    Anyone else get this?
    mine from matty was titled this
    DCL Shipping Department
    so i dont know about yours, you can probably open the message, just dont open any attatchments
    My Collection:

    Items available for sale or trade.

    I have had Good Trades/Deals with: Siroko, Klocket, JVS3, oICEMANo, River, roboticplanet, rougewelder, joeybones, dutch, miscus555, tsilevon, charliecore, cderby79, manson1978, CrazyMotuFan, TombstonePiledrive, rcpax & dark knight.

  3. #3
    Evil Master of Editing Evil Ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Hordak.de & Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    901
    Spam-Mails nowadays use any subject line spammers can think of - product purchase even is common, Batman ist popular,... chances are it might be spam and then maybe running malware once you open it. Given the fact that you don't know the name it's highly likely that it is a spam-mail.

    So, whatever name is shown, more important is which domain the mail has been sent from. Which email-address was used? Does it sound right AND fit with the subject line of the email?

    The Newsletter on MattyCollector.com is sent only through newsletter@mattycollector.com - no other email address is used from this page (I haven't gotten any email from Matty yet other than the confirmation of the newsletter - so I don't think so). I'm not familiar with other Mattel-Newsletters.

    if you already downloaded the email with your email client (hopefully not - it's risky to even download an email of unknown source): use the context-menu to view the email's "source code" (translated literally from German - certainly isn't the right term, but I hope you know what I mean) and look for information like which email address it was sent with...

    I recommend a simple email-tool called Mailwasher. Current versions are free if you only use it for one single emailaddress - for more you have to pay. I use an older version (version 1.33) which doesn't have this limit but isn't up-to-date. All you need to do is setting it up like an email-client and you can risk-free access all mails, even view their email-text, before downloading the mails. The program opens the mails as plain-text only and doesn't run any kind of code installed into html-content or attachments. Really helpful tool, you can run it in background and allow it to check your inbox and it'll notify you whenever a new email was received.

    well, maybe this helps you a little...? The email you're talking about sounds suspicious to me...


    edDy
    Evil is a point of view - Lestat in Interview with the Vampire

    See my trading feedback here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eedback-Thread

  4. #4
    Evil Robotic Gimp Gimporama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Upper Coomera, Queensland
    Posts
    665
    I got one too and opened it.

    It's from Entertainment Earth.

  5. #5
    Evil Master of Editing Evil Ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Hordak.de & Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    901
    EDIT: I wrote the following lines before the text above was posted - obviously the email is safe. But the things I wrote are generally good to know - so I don't delete it. Take care!

    Quote Originally Posted by Berzerker17 View Post
    so i dont know about yours, you can probably open the message, just dont open any attatchments
    Sorry, but this generally is risky - html-mails can include code that runs dangerous code hidden in attachments or even download and run little programs from the internet without you taking notice. email-attachments don't necessarily need to be opened to become a thread to a person's computer.

    Never open an email from unknown source. - that's a basic ground rule to minimize risk.

    And: firewalls and antivirus-programs are no guarantee that nothing can get through - it can. The thought of being safe once you use an internet security-program is a danger itself, because it makes people take unnecessary risks.


    edDy
    Last edited by Evil Ed; July 30, 2008 at 06:37pm.
    Evil is a point of view - Lestat in Interview with the Vampire

    See my trading feedback here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eedback-Thread

  6. #6
    The Scare is in the Glow! Scare Glow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,222
    No worries Evil Ed Ė I use web bases mail providers for this kind of thing, so it never gets on my PC unless I chose to DL/open it. The problem is, I canít get the domain name without opening it, which is why I came here to sleuth out its origin. I am leery of everything you mentioned and am supper cautious with suspect e-mail.

    Gimporama Ė hey, youíve solved the mystery. Thanks

    You know, the last order I placed with EA was for a factory case of MOTU 200X Series-one back in July 2002. Yet they keep on e-mailing. Persistent, Iíll give them that.

    Thanks a lot for the help guys!

  7. #7
    Evil Robotic Gimp Gimporama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Upper Coomera, Queensland
    Posts
    665
    Quote Originally Posted by Scare Glow View Post

    Gimporama Ė hey, youíve solved the mystery. Thanks

    You know, the last order I placed with EA was for a factory case of MOTU 200X Series-one back in July 2002. Yet they keep on e-mailing. Persistent, Iíll give them that.

    Thanks a lot for the help guys!
    I didn't even get the chance to order anything!
    For some reason EE always has trouble with my Amex card when no one else does. So I cancelled the order and now I get the emails. I'll have to unsubscibe or something...

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    housewares
    Posts
    3,151
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Ed View Post
    Sorry, but this generally is risky - html-mails can include code that runs dangerous code hidden in attachments or even download and run little programs from the internet without you taking notice. email-attachments don't necessarily need to be opened to become a thread to a person's computer.
    This is more dependent on your mail client than anything else. If you're using an old version of Microsoft lookOut then yeah, you may have this kind of problem... but most newer clients will not download anything without specifically asking you. Or, you can be like me and stay in the early 90's and use a text only email application... gotta love my pine.

  9. #9
    Evil Master of Editing Evil Ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Hordak.de & Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    901
    Quote Originally Posted by Scare Glow View Post
    The problem is, I can’t get the domain name without opening it (...)
    That's a problem on lots of web-based email-programs. Mailwasher helps you with this issue - I recommend it.

    Quote Originally Posted by ash View Post
    This is more dependent on your mail client than anything else. If you're using an old version of Microsoft lookOut then yeah, you may have this kind of problem... but most newer clients will not download anything without specifically asking you. Or, you can be like me and stay in the early 90's and use a text only email application... gotta love my pine.
    I use thunderbird (which I keep updated), but always run the mailwasher first - problem solved. I only send text-only-mails, also in response to html-mails, but html-mails converted to text-only I don't like, so I take this risk...
    Love the "lookOut"-pun btw!


    edDy
    Evil is a point of view - Lestat in Interview with the Vampire

    See my trading feedback here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eedback-Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •