Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to find out which KG you have without opening (xray machine)

How to find out which KG you have without opening

One of the two companies I work for has a DAGE Real Time XRay machine. So, it got me thinking. Would I be able to tell which KG I have in a sealed box? Would an xray machine scan right thru plastic?
    The Bronze variant has his arm out while the regular has both arms down....TY Mattel.
    Now, I don't have my KG's yet but I did do a test run this morning with a 2002 Moss Man in box. I put the sealed Moss Man in the machine and seconds later I could see him clear as DAY. It scanned right thru the cardboard and I had a perfect outline of a MossMan. Apparently MossMan has metal in his head....
    So, I'm going to be able to tell which one's I have without ever breaking the tape seal. I'm going to open one of course, a regular one. Now I just hope I'm lucky enough to get a Bronze variant...c'mon Matty.

Edit: I just figured out what the metal was. I totally forgot that he has a trigger in his back at the same height of his head cause he's hunched over.
    Last edited by Cilman; July 31, 2008 at 09:58pm. Reason: Because a MOD felt the need to edit my free speech
    Don't hesitate in dealing with Cilman Thread

Simply awesome trick if we all had x-ray machines...I'm an aspiring AFA collector and that would be great to know...
    2012 Create a character Runners up Mini-Sub please!!! I needs Bubblor and Major Header.

where to find a X-Ray machine? oh yeah, at work,there is 3 of them there! I'm an X-Ray Technologist! (no, I don't glow in the dark!!)
    yeah I'm stupid.... stupid like a fox!!!

I am also looking for a way to figure this out without needing an X-Ray machine. Does anyone know if the Bronze figure weighs significantly more than the regular KG? That is my current plan, seeing as the packaging should weigh about the same for each. If the bronze figure is significantly heavier then it would be easy to use a scale to tell which figure is which. I am going to try a few things when I get my 3 other KG's from MattyCollector.
    My Vintage MOTU Want List:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=160111
    My Others Want List:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=169076
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Vintage MOC and MISB For Sale:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...FA-and-non-AFA

the "bronze" is just paint, isn't it? i'd think it would be incredibly costly for mattel to make so many figures out of bronze, even if they were hollow. i doubt there's any noticeable weight difference

Um yeah...

The Bronze variant is NOT real bronze.

It's the same cast, same materials as the standard King Grayskull.
    Just different paints.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Ho ho ho. Silly cilman - you needn't go through all the trouble of finding an X-Ray machine to do that! There's a much easier way:

All you need to do is get your hands on a time machine, open the box, and after you're done just use the time flux capacitator to reverse time! See? EASY!

I'm surprised noone else thought of that yet?

Mmm, won't the battery start to leak over time inside the box ruining the misb KG inside? That will fit right in with any of the motu-deterioration threads
    --------
    Joachim

Turbo Orangutan Kosmic JimPansen's Avatar
    FLUX CAPACITOR "Itīs what makes time travel possible"

Um...My mother has got the hots for me?

Seriously, why would you care that much?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    Um...My mother has got the hots for me?
    Quick, escape on your Mattel hoverboard!

Bronze PAINT. How disappointing. I guess I will open mine. I have not opened an action figure in like 15 years. I mean I figured it wasn't real bronze but I thought it would at least be metal of some sorts with bronze paint. Anyways, I guess I will open my KG's. I don't know if I can open them!!
    My Vintage MOTU Want List:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=160111
    My Others Want List:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=169076
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Vintage MOC and MISB For Sale:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...FA-and-non-AFA

Mmmmmm...x-ray radiation on toys...mmmm....tasty... :P

A good idea. I wonder if my dentist will let me borrow his X-ray machine?

did you print the x-ray picture.

All you need to do is take your unopened Grayskull to the airport or nearest prision. I'm sure they'll be happy to scan them when you walk through the metal detector with them

Heroic Warrior
    There is a way to tell if you got a bronze figure without opening the figure. I know the answer!!

Quote Originally Posted by Powersword123 View Post
    There is a way to tell if you got a bronze figure without opening the figure. I know the answer!!

which is....?

surely there is SOME sort of packaging variation. a small dot, a coloring faux pause...
    they would have to insert these (presumably) in some sort of automated way, and would be doing a regular run, followed by a variant run.
    surely there is SOMEthing to tell them apart...?!?!

would x ray specs work? (*digs through old 80's comics feverishly*)
    Last edited by stevetor; July 31, 2008 at 08:54pm.
    AWESOME TRADERS:
    Sammy Banderas/jcb1973/Troy-Klops/Mystical musician/Daviono1089

MY .ORG FEEDBACK

MY EBAY FEEDBACK

"I Do hope you don't bruise easily He-Man!"
    ~Stevetor~

Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    I can't tell if people are serious in this thread...

How is an X-Ray going to show different colors of paint?

the x-ray machine is a bit far fetched, but I think what cilman meant was the OUTLINE would show a variant by having a raised arm v.s the normal figure with a non-raised arm.
    this would require having both figures to compare i suppose, and i don;t know if it's literally rasied above his head, or just slightly raised.

I am way overthinking this!!
    AWESOME TRADERS:
    Sammy Banderas/jcb1973/Troy-Klops/Mystical musician/Daviono1089

MY .ORG FEEDBACK

MY EBAY FEEDBACK

"I Do hope you don't bruise easily He-Man!"
    ~Stevetor~

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge View Post
    I can't tell if people are serious in this thread...

How is an X-Ray going to show different colors of paint?
    Nothing to do with seeing the colors. He said that the Bronze KG has his arm raised, while the regular colored one has both of his arms down. The X-Ray will show the figure's position and that is how you can tell. Now, all we need is a volunteer to go to airport or prison security with one, and a video camera to record the event and the reactions on Security's faces when asked "Can I scan this to see which one I got? It'll be real quick, kay?" Oh, and after that person posts bail, put it on YouTube.

it's serious for me

the paint will not make a difference! its the position of the figure, the chase of KG is in a different position (posed like a statue in the episode he was in, arm holding sword is up) in his box than the standard KG ( both arms down by his sides, and all his weapons are on the back of the box and not in his hands). when you take an X-ray of the figure(s), once you see the shape and position of the figure , an easy tell.
    you will see the figure no prob, when we do test images at work, we will put an object ( ie an remote control or something of that nature) in the xray field ( better than sticking a human in while we are testing the machine lol ), to test the xray settings and when the image appears on screen you can see everything from the components inside the remote, to the rubber buttions on the remote.
    and it's safe to the figure and the electronic components in KG's box ( an MRI is a different story), I'm going to do it for a laugh at work ( which figure i got doesn't really matter to me as long as I got a KG figure! )
    KG will be the smallest patient I ever X-Rayed!

That sounds cool tripleb. Will you be able to share they X-ray with us?

Quote Originally Posted by jax87227 View Post
    did you print the x-ray picture.
    No, I didn't ....didn't really think of it at the time. I was too happy that it could actually be done. When I get my KG's (hopefully next week...uh hum....Matty) I'll print a couple out...I actually may be able to save the scans as .jpg's. Either way I'll post them here.

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Hat View Post
    Nothing to do with seeing the colors. He said that the Bronze KG has his arm raised, while the regular colored one has both of his arms down. The X-Ray will show the figure's position and that is how you can tell.
    Exactly.
    Don't hesitate in dealing with Cilman Thread

I might be able to, it a long story and process but basically in order to print xrays or burn to cd, the image must be done under a patient name and info in the computer system of the xray dept/hospital and sent to a special computer system for viewing and working with xrays called PACS , and when we do athe test images they are just done under the test section of the digital xray machine and when we are done with them ( the test images), they are just deleted and not sent to the computer system (PACS), which is where all other patient xrays are sent to from the digital xray machine so the radiologist can view them, or they can be printed or burnt to a CD for doctors in clinics outside the hospital. but we have sent test images to the PACS system before but it was very complicated to do . I'll just have to try to get the PACS system technologist at work to work some computer magic for me. and if i can get KG images on CD, hopefully the xray image files will compatible with photoshop or paint , cause most doctors who use images burnt on CD, need a special program to view the images on the CD