Thread: MOTUC - Removeable Armour or not?

MOTUC - Removeable Armour or not?

I know King Grayskull's armour isn't () but will the rest of the line have removeable armour or not?

Taking off their armour and switching it with the other characters was one of my favourite things to do mith my MOTU toys. Making it non-removeable, I think, is a bad move.

If you want to make customs, you can do so withing wrecking their chest plates, armbands, etc. Also, you can make them look like they've been in a battle by taking some of their "clothes" off, or half-off.

What are your thoughts?

I believe Mattel stated all future figures WILL have removable armour, I'm sure someone can find the link?
    Good Traders: Domercon, parat0r, cjclifford, marndt8448, prime371, AGE, Grunaura, boggs32, phoenixinfernos1, jesstertwo, Bellamy, Trap-Jay, Steph, Kinnikuman76, zodak74, IceWolf, CHRIS-ORION, Him-Man, layz909e, Master Eternian, Peter, LORD FALLEN ELDOR, Lord Anubis, Son Of Keldor, Tinkerbeee, Pyre, Christop, bigassbuzz, MaxGoof, JeMaBo2, G2Figures, General Hawk 7, Mern-Ra, Cubsteven, lemure77

For me, having removable armor is a more relevant classic characteristic than almost any other. If Moss Man isn't flocked anymore, or Ram Man doesn't have springy legs, that's not a big deal. But if the figures have armor that's glued on or not easily removable, that's a crucial mistake and major blunder to me.

Bare-chested He-Man figures is an important symbol of the '80s. I hope Mattel realizes that.

ToyGuru did say the figs would have removable armor.. I believe it was also said at the panel.
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

if you watch the video in the sdcc panel thread posted by he-manrep you'll see that they DO state the armour WILL be removeable.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Considering the re-use of molds here, it makes sense that the armor would be removable. Even making a hole to plug it into in the back would be difficult and unwise, as not all the armor straps will neccesarily land in the same place.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

since I don't customize I don't care for removable armor at all - the figs look best with the armor they are supposed to have anyway... but given the removability being a major characteristic of the original figures, how would they not make it removable?? anyway, it's been said the armor will be removable...

edDy
    Evil is a point of view - Lestat in Interview with the Vampire

See my trading feedback here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eedback-Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Ed View Post
    but given the removability being a major characteristic of the original figures, how would they not make it removable??
    A few figures did have non-removable armor in the 80s.. Flying Fists He-Man and Terror Claws Skeletor, Hurricane Hordak, and Thunder Punch He-Man come to mind. (I know the back of Thunder Punch He-Man's armor was his feature, but the FRONT wasn't.. it could have been made removable). Dragon Blaster Skeletor's removable armor is also the reason for a lot of confusion between him and regular Skeletor among non-collectors and casual collectors.

However, all that said, I'm VERY happy the armors will be removable!
    Uncle Montork has returned from Trolla!

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I do want removable armor but I'm curious about the "clip-on" armor i.e. Mekaneck, Jitsu, Hordak. And how the articulation in the torso would work.

I would like removable armour as well. That way, mattel can just make different armours, instead of entire alternate figures, so that we can switch from, say Skeletor to Dragon Blastor Skeletor, without the need from buying a new Skeletor.
    Got Fur

I want a Glimmer by the end of 2012 and Extendar by 2013!
    Other Wants:
    MotU: Rokkon, Stonedar, Dragstor, Modulok, Multi-bot, Horde Trooper, DB Skeletor
    PoP: Peekablue, Madam Razz, Lighthope, Kowl
    NA: Quakke, Sagitarr
    MYP: Hawk, Queen Andreenos, Lord Dactys
    Mini-Comics: Kex Queen, Tug-of-War Yellow Warrior, King Hiss' Slave Girl

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Considering the re-use of molds here, it makes sense that the armor would be removable. Even making a hole to plug it into in the back would be difficult and unwise, as not all the armor straps will neccesarily land in the same place.
    yup. this is pretty much my thoughts as well. however i am wondering if we will get removable armor on people such as the classic version of clawful,fisto and hordak for examples or if they will be sculpted. i am guessing seperate pieces. in the 200x line fisto's armor was still removable so who knows.
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

The Scare is in the Glow! Scare Glow's Avatar
    I like removable armor. But . . . I really disliked those extra long armor straps used on the 2000X line. They have got to keep that awesome, streamlined look the prototypes have. If they can pull it off unobtrusively, then make the armor removable. If they canít, then make the armor like Grayskullís.

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    I do want removable armor but I'm curious about the "clip-on" armor i.e. Mekaneck, Jitsu, Hordak. And how the articulation in the torso would work.
    Since they'll share the He-Man body they should still have the ab crunch. But I'm guessing the armour will block any movement there.

Evil Overlord of Veg Vegtablesam's Avatar
    Ive never really taken the armour off of m figures, so its not a huge deal to me either way, but I feel that removable armour gives figures a more realistic and 'layered' look.

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    if you watch the video in the sdcc panel thread posted by he-manrep you'll see that they DO state the armour WILL be removeable.
    is this video avaliable anywhere for people who didnt get to go to SDCC

JAG2045
    My feedback
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=108414
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...hlight=jag2045
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=117706

Great traders: Blue-jackal/Fneh(2)/Daz/Royalt1us/Evil-Orko/Buythepower/Booster/Adora/Zodac101/tokyonever/lemure77(2)/Vess(2)/Scorpia/Buzzsaw Hordak/miscus555/tmc1984/General Hawk 7

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    is this video avaliable anywhere for people who didnt get to go to SDCC

JAG2045

I would definitely prefer removable armour. As Sam said it just looks (and feels) more realistic - or more specifically, less toy-like than if the toy were one big chunk of plastic.

Then there's the fact that it'd set back production time and cut into costs if each figure had to have a remold to factor in new armour sculpts. Mattel would never willingly hinder their operation like that, I'm sure.

I'm glad they have removable armor. It makes it a lot easier for me to make my custom Fuerza-T figures!

Did anyone else notice right on Beastmans arms? Doesn't look too removable there to me. I hope it is. Otherwise that is lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    Did anyone else notice right on Beastmans arms? Doesn't look too removable there to me. I hope it is. Otherwise that is lame.
    Yeah, I saw that too. I pray the armbands come off.

I'm not really fussed either way really. As long as the sculpt is good, I don't care if armour is removable or not.

I just don't know why they would sculpt anything on to anyone. If the line is supposed to feature reused parts, that defeats the purpose. Take Moss-Man for example. In the originally line, he was just a repainted Beast-Man. Now thats not to say they would do him exactly like that again in this new line. But they could have at least reused the arms if he armor comes off. I'm still hoping it does.......

I couldn't care less if the armor is removable or not. I mean that's a pretty trivial point if you ask me. And BTW non-removable armor doesn't have to be sculpted to the body. KG's armor is not made to be removed, but it's still a separate piece from his body. Beastman's arm things could be molded separately, and then glued in place, which I would be fine with.

Also, I know it's mostly a moot point with this line as it's aimed at adults, but when I buy figures for my kids, I hate if there are removable parts. My boys have a whole box full of 200X, and vintage MotU that's all naked. It's a pain in the rear to keep track of everything, it makes for more to do at cleanup time, and it drives me nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Montork View Post
    A few figures did have non-removable armor in the 80s.. Flying Fists He-Man and Terror Claws Skeletor, Hurricane Hordak, and Thunder Punch He-Man come to mind. (I know the back of Thunder Punch He-Man's armor was his feature, but the FRONT wasn't.. it could have been made removable). (...)
    I know - I still own the Battle Armor He-Man I had as a kid - the very one, he's not a re-bought piece.

edDy
    Evil is a point of view - Lestat in Interview with the Vampire

See my trading feedback here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eedback-Thread