Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who should publish new mini-comics or a new regular series?

Heroic Warrior

Who should publish new mini-comics or a new regular series?

With word that Mattel is considering putting out a monthly MOTU Classics comic, I am for Val and Emiliano to be working on the comic (cheap plug) However, at this time, doesn't it make the most sense for the comic to be published by DC Comics? Let's look at the facts. They earliest MOTU mini-comics were done by DC, as well as the limited run of the 1st MOTU comic book that featured the infamous He-Man vs. Superman battle. Now, in this day and age, Mattel has been been releasing action figures/toys of DC properties, which is owed by AOL Time Warner, for quite some time (ie: Batman/Superman movie figures, The Batman, Justice League, DC Universe). Also, it is Joel Silver and Warner Bros. that will eventually be releasing the MOTU movie, which allows DC braging rights of another movie being made from one of their comics, per say. Just makes the most sense to me when you look at all the facters. Evertone in agreement with me? And for those who oppose that, who would you like to see MOTU be publised by? It's gone through Marval (Star Comics), Image, MVC already, so I guess if those publishers were willing to take on the property again, then it's all good in the Eternos hood...

Ill tell ya I woundnt mind if it was carbon coppies stapled together just as long as we get a new comic.

The original DC MOTU storyline is my favorite cannon of the classic series. So Viking like.
    Check out the Masters Of The Galaxy Podcast. And also check out Masters of the Galaxy Facebook page

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Quote Originally Posted by brianatarms View Post
    Ill tell ya I woundnt mind if it was carbon coppies stapled together just as long as we get a new comic.

The original DC MOTU storyline is my favorite cannon of the classic series. So Viking like.
    I agree 100%! The original mythos of MOTU, where Grayskull was an empty fortress, He-Man was basically a wandering barbarian warrior, and Skeletor was far more ruthless was the superior comic IMHO.
    "You can not fight the darkness He-man!"-Shokoti-the Queen of Darkness

Arizona Mazter of the Universe

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grenadaspice View Post
    ...I am for Val and Emiliano to be working on the comic (cheap plug) However, at this time, doesn't it make the most sense for the comic to be published by DC Comics?

The comics can be done by Val and Emiliano and still be published by DC right? I think everybody would be happy with that. Plus, the experience gained from working small in the Best Buy exclusive comic might lend a hand.

It would actually be great if they were a bit bigger (I'm thinking DVD sized again), that way they'd match the bigger figs, and be better on my aging eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shokoti's Slave View Post
    I agree 100%! The original mythos of MOTU, where Grayskull was an empty fortress, He-Man was basically a wandering barbarian warrior, and Skeletor was far more ruthless was the superior comic IMHO.
    Yea Skeletor is crazy bad in the storyline.
    Check out the Masters Of The Galaxy Podcast. And also check out Masters of the Galaxy Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by grenadaspice View Post
    With word that Mattel is considering putting out a monthly MOTU Classics comic, I am for Val and Emiliano to be working on the comic (cheap plug) However, at this time, doesn't it make the most sense for the comic to be published by DC Comics? Let's look at the facts. They earliest MOTU mini-comics were done by DC, as well as the limited run of the 1st MOTU comic book that featured the infamous He-Man vs. Superman battle. Now, in this day and age, Mattel has been been releasing action figures/toys of DC properties, which is owed by AOL Time Warner, for quite some time (ie: Batman/Superman movie figures, The Batman, Justice League, DC Universe). Also, it is Joel Silver and Warner Bros. that will eventually be releasing the MOTU movie, which allows DC braging rights of another movie being made from one of their comics, per say. Just makes the most sense to me when you look at all the facters. Evertone in agreement with me? And for those who oppose that, who would you like to see MOTU be publised by? It's gone through Marval (Star Comics), Image, MVC already, so I guess if those publishers were willing to take on the property again, then it's all good in the Eternos hood...
    Great Idea, they could even make MOTU part of their new DC Multiverse making it possible for He-Man vs. Superman round two!

I couldn't agree more. I'd love to see this original Universe reborn for a new comic!

Quote Originally Posted by Jawbridge View Post
    The comics can be done by Val and Emiliano and still be published by DC right?
    The only way that could happen is DC hiring us for a project like that.
    And the only way to make that happen would be fans requesting as to DC all the time

It doesn't make any difference to me who publishes a MotU comic. In fact, I would prefer a smaller company that might be more patient with slow sales. My only concern is that Mattel give the creators of the comic the freedom to do it well, and not hamstring them like what happened to MVC.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    It doesn't make any difference to me who publishes a MotU comic. In fact, I would prefer a smaller company that might be more patient with slow sales. My only concern is that Mattel give the creators of the comic the freedom to do it well, and not hamstring them like what happened to MVC.
    I agree. Who really cares who releases them as long as we get them?

I think it would be awesome if each new minicomic would feature 3 stories from DC, Filmation, 200X universes.

All should be writen and drawn well.
    No stuff like "Hey lets make it cheesy and corny 'cause it's set in Filmation universe."
    Brings doom to MOTUC with cel accuracy.

DC's Wildstorm imprint has been mentioned randomly by people on here as being a possible home for He-Man especially considering that DC and Mattel already have a relationship. I have concerns about this though. In the 80's most licensed books never got the proper amount of respect from large comic companies. Titles like He-Man, GI Joe, Thundercats and Transformers (all of which were at Marvel at the time.) never got assigned creators who had a tremendous amount of drawing power, they were fed B teams so the titles never grew. Transformers and GI Joe were lucky in that their creators still work on the titles to this day (the writers anyway). It wasn't until the 80's revival in the early 2000's when the independant companies like MVCreations, Devils Due and IDW took the titles over and recruited fan creators that the titles got the proper amount of respect.

That being said, Wildstorm did do the Thundercats revival didn't they? I havent seen most of the issues but what I have seen did look good. All of this is my opinion of course but I just want to see my favorite characters treated right. I'm not sure that big companies will give a licensed book a chance when it has to compete against the company's stars. Batman, Superman, Flash, Supergirl heck even Black Canary...then He-Man. Honestly, whats left by then after the known creators have been eaten up by the heroes? Val and Emiliano would be awesome but who's to say DC would even go for them. (As tragic as that might be.) I'd like to see MVCreations take another shot but it's a long shot from what Val has said.

These are my opinions of course, I dare for DC to prove me wrong.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    What would make sense to me, would be to have a comic worked by people who understand and love the product.

Folks at MVCreations have already proven that.

Yeah it would be good, if He-Man was made by a big-name like DC Comics, also giving a nod to the first comics, but there are no guarantees as to how it might be handled.

I also think that if Mattel wants to make the comics with smaller budget, considering it is for only collector-market, DC Comics might not do it unless getting paid more, so again I'd hope the folks at MVCreations would pitch for the opportunity.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    LOL, Eternia is one of the 52 Earths.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    What would make sense to me, would be to have a comic worked by people who understand and love the product.

Folks at MVCreations have already proven that.

Yeah it would be good, if He-Man was made by a big-name like DC Comics, also giving a nod to the first comics, but there are no guarantees as to how it might be handled.

I also think that if Mattel wants to make the comics with smaller budget, considering it is for only collector-market, DC Comics might not do it unless getting paid more, so again I'd hope the folks at MVCreations would pitch for the opportunity.
    I'd love MVCreations to be given the opportunity to continue their stories in mini-comic form.

Maybe if Illumina gets made as a figure they could include the story they had planned for her.

[QUOTE=RocketPunch;1963582]I'd love MVCreations to be given the opportunity to continue their stories in mini-comic form.QUOTE]

Yea that would be really amazing if we get that. I think that would be the topping on the cake for this line.

Mini-comics:

Emiliano and I are chomping at the bit to handle mini-comics if Mattel ever does them.
    They are a different beast from a monthly comic.

We'd deliver more passion than any other professional comic studio, and probably be more affordable too.

For me, I'd love to play the part of Lee Nordling... editor and the guy hiring out talent.
    It wouldn't be just Emiliano and I doing the art and writing, I'd pull from talent here and elsewhere if that talent is up to snuff, affordable, and approved by Mattel.

Part of the fun of the mini-comics was the variety of story and creative teams.
    That also enables you to not be working on mini-comics 24/7 like a monthly licensed comic.

Plus, we'd be delivered conditions to work with per mini-comic, which makes it SO much easier and a lot of fun...

Single, stand-alone issues,
    fewer pages, fewer panels than a monthly comic,
    that center around the figure in the package with specific outlined story guidelines...
    That's what I want to work on.

--------

Monthly full-sized comic:

I have no desire to get back into something like that until all the legal stuff is sorted out.
    The comic was a legal nightmare.

Plus, I have my own comics I'm working on right now that'll be coming out from Image hopefully in 2009/2010 (see the ad in the Best Buy printed pack-in Episode 40 comic).
    There's already a lot of interest behind the scenes in my own properties and they aren't even out yet. So I'm more motivated to work on those.

The stress and responsibility of handling a monthly licensed comic isn't worth taking another year away from trying to carve my own career with my own projects.

I think Mattel has sorted out a lot of what they can and can't do now, which will probably make it easier.
    But a monthly-comic really deserves a lot of planning to weave an intricate story, especially when approvals are involved on licensed material. I don't think I could do that again any time soon.

Still, I know Emiliano would want to illustrate a monthly comic if he could.
    Of course, I need him to focus on Fraternal!

And as I've said before in other threads, I imagine if they do a monthly comic, it'll probably be at WildStorm.
    it just makes more sense giving Mattel's connections to DC and Warner bros right now.
    And WildStorm is where all the licensed books end up.

I think it's time for new blood on the monthly full-sized comics. But I know we appreciate the support a lot of you have given us!

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Mini-comics:

Emiliano and I are chomping at the bit to handle mini-comics if Mattel ever does them.

We'd deliver more passion than any other professional comic studio, and probably be more affordable too.
    Here's hoping that the fans prove the Classics line worth producing comics.

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Mini-comics:

For me, I'd love to play the part of Lee Nordling... editor and the guy hiring out talent.
    It wouldn't be just Emiliano and I doing the art and writing, I'd pull from talent here and elsewhere if that talent is up to snuff, affordable, and approved by Mattel.

Part of the fun of the mini-comics was the variety of story and creative teams.
    That also enables you to not be working on mini-comics 24/7 like a monthly licensed comic.

Plus, we'd be delivered conditions to work with per mini-comic, which makes it SO much easier and a lot of fun...

Single, stand-alone issues,
    fewer pages, fewer panels than a monthly comic,
    that center around the figure in the package with specific outlined story guidelines...
    That's what I want to work on.

--------

Monthly full-sized comic:

I have no desire to get back into something like that until all the legal stuff is sorted out.
    The comic was a legal nightmare.

Plus, I have my own comics I'm working on right now that'll be coming out from Image hopefully in 2009/2010 (see the ad in the Best Buy printed pack-in Episode 40 comic).
    There's already a lot of interest behind the scenes in my own properties and they aren't even out yet. So I'm more motivated to work on those.

The stress and responsibility of handling a monthly licensed comic isn't worth taking another year away from trying to carve my own career with my own projects.

I think Mattel has sorted out a lot of what they can and can't do now, which will probably make it easier.
    But a monthly-comic really deserves a lot of planning to weave an intricate story, especially when approvals are involved on licensed material. I don't think I could do that again any time soon.

Still, I know Emiliano would want to illustrate a monthly comic if he could.
    Of course, I need him to focus on Fraternal!

And as I've said before in other threads, I imagine if they do a monthly comic, it'll probably be at WildStorm.
    it just makes more sense giving Mattel's connections to DC and Warner bros right now.
    And WildStorm is where all the licensed books end up.

I think it's time for new blood on the month books. But I know we appreciate the support a lot of you have given us!
    To answer the original question put forth by grenadaspice: yes, DC needs to do these books since they have the best comics and produced the best mini-comics. Also, I'd be very happy to see my two favorite super-heroes, Batman and He-Man, under the same publisher once again.

One of the reasons I have the quote from JVS3 is because I agree with his presumptions about MOTU going to Wildstorm. It does seem like the most logical choice. Just a random idea (not that it's a great one) but since Capcom (another company I enjoy) and DC have struck a deal over Resident Evil comics, wouldn't it be kinda funny to see an RE and MOTU crossover at Wildstorm? It'd have the possibility of letting that zombie He-Man piece that was part of the ORG's donation giveaways have some semblance of an actual story. Like I said, just a silly idea that's probably not even worth getting worked up over. Kinda like Superman fighting a giant robot spider.

My other reason for having the quote, you said "I'd pull from talent here and elsewhere if that talent is up to snuff, affordable, and approved by Mattel" in regard to the mini-comics. By "here" are you meaning He-Fans here on the ORG or somewhere and/or something else? I'm just wanting to clarafy what I've read so I can hammer out a few treatments and so forth.

Peace.
    I make my own MOTU video game stuff. Check it out.

dA - wallbie.deviantart.com
    YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/wallbieswarriors
    Daily Motion - http://www.dailymotion.com/wallbie#video=x14o6e4

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by wallbie View Post
    My other reason for having the quote, you said "I'd pull from talent here and elsewhere if that talent is up to snuff, affordable, and approved by Mattel" in regard to the mini-comics. By "here" are you meaning He-Fans here on the ORG or somewhere and/or something else? I'm just wanting to clarafy what I've read so I can hammer out a few treatments and so forth.
    JVS3 is always keeping an eye out for the talent presented here at org-boards. Prime did the Icons of Evil: Trap-Jaw cover. Baena has coloured and illustrated lithographs and comic-covers. And many, many others. I think there is a thread at fan-art forum where the org-members are identified.

Well hers hopes to MVC doing the Mini's!

That would really be the best MOTU comic moment for me ever!

Heroic Warrior
    After the DC Comics Presents #47 fiasco, I would love to see a comic where He-man beats Superman, in a fair fight.

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    I certainly liked DC Comics mini-series/superman crossover continuity, but I'm not sure they're the right lads for this, and it's not so sure they'd do it, now is it?

The only licensed DC Comic I know of, are World of Warcraft and, uh... lemme' think now.. I think they're doing some Supernatural comics?

But the point is, that the big two nowadays only do licensed comics from big, and popular, hot properties, where they know they can make a bit of money.

Like Marvel, they've only got two licensed comics, Halo and Dark Tower. The reasons for having those two are fairly obvious. ( DC certainly got the upper hand with the video-game licenses there, WoW probably dwarfs (pun intended) just about any other game-series right now.)

Uh, that's the mini-comic version... Nobody remember that the DC Comics mini-series was the first to premiere the transition to the later Filmation-inspired continuities?

You two should have put the "original mini-comics" in front, 'cause now you lighted a hope for me, that there are other Mini-series fans out there, only to squash it again..
    Last edited by Predabot; August 3, 2008 at 09:30pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyskull View Post
    After the DC Comics Presents #47 fiasco, I would love to see a comic where He-man beats Superman, in a fair fight.
    I think cooler heads would prevail in any fight between HE-MAN and the Man of Steel. Seriously the two would be the best of friends I'd love more comics in any form! Especially now with the classics line. I can't wait to see the new mythology explored, and other parts of the story fleshed out. It's too bad HE-MAN himself won't come with a comic, but I hope the line is super successful, and warrants a comic series. With DC's multiverse back in place, I don't see why Eternia couldn't exist in one of them. Perhaps many different Eternia's Like a Anti-Eternia could exist in the universe of Earth-3 with Ultraman and the Crime Syndicate!
    2 Cor. 12:9 (KJV) "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmites, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

The Last Wielder of the Sword of Power

Faithful Member of Club Eternia

http://photobucket.com/LastEternian

I have to say that I would love to see He-Man vs Superman. I haven't seen their 1st fight but an updated modern version would be really cool. I love the idea of Val and the gang doing mini comics, that would be cool. I really like that the fans could potentially get a crack at doing some of these.
    Last edited by Darkness; August 4, 2008 at 12:58am.

I know I`d love to see new mini comics, I love reading them!