Thread: An Emiliano Influence?

Evil Overlord of Veg Vegtablesam's Avatar

An Emiliano Influence?

I was just looking through my 200X Shard of Darkness trade paperback when I saw something I completely forgot about. In the back of the book, we are treated to sketches of Emiliano's concepts of a new line of figures "paying homage t the originals whilst adding more articulation and detail".

The He-man and Beastman look strikingly similar to the new MOTUC designs! Id love it if we got a Teela like that!

For those who have it, look at it yourselves. Am I the only one that sees the resemblence?

PS, i'd post pictures but im not sure if theyd be allowed as theyre from the comic book.

don't have the TPB, just the regular comic-books - but I guess the resemblance rather is due it's shared basis: the cardback-art. Isn't it? Sure thing Emiliano can tell...

edDy
    Evil is a point of view - Lestat in Interview with the Vampire

See my trading feedback here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eedback-Thread

The only thing in the back of my Trade comic is a cover gallery, I don`t see any concept sketches.

That PlanetEternia.de guy Sir Reilly's Avatar
    You gotta have the hardcover to see some figure sketches. There is a striking ressemblance between Emil's Beast Man sketch and the Retro figure.

Guess both Emiliano and the Horsemen realized what features the figures have to sport for such a style.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

LOL, yeah it's fun how those figure design are close to what Mattel is doing now. Articulation, details, they're almost identycal to the new MOTUC (well, not so much that Beast Man maybe)
    The fun part is that I did those designs in 1999!
    But, it's just a coincidence, I dubt no one at Mattel had ever seen those. And MOTUC as they are, for the most have been designed by the 4H

That PlanetEternia.de guy Sir Reilly's Avatar
    Your designs were truly awesome, nonetheless. Your Teela and Man-At-Arms totally rule!
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Like they say, great minds think alike!

When and if they get around to He-Ro, I definitely wouldn't mind some of Emiliano's influence there. The character design he came up with (I think it was Wizard that showed it) was perfect for him.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post

When and if they get around to He-Ro, I definitely wouldn't mind some of Emiliano's influence there. The character design he came up with (I think it was Wizard that showed it) was perfect for him.
    Thanks! But that was for the 2002 line.
    Me and the 4H are definitely on the same page, and for MOTUC we (including Toyguru) probably want to see just an articulated version of the 1987 prototype

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post

I tore my magazine archive apart just last night trying to find that picture, but to no avail. Can anyone post it to the board, or is that still not allowed. I don't know the statute of limitations on magazine images.
    Once Photog is announced for MOTUC, I will have no idea what to put here.

Evil Overlord of Veg Vegtablesam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fearless_Photog View Post
    I tore my magazine archive apart just last night trying to find that picture, but to no avail. Can anyone post it to the board, or is that still not allowed. I don't know the statute of limitations on magazine images.
    Id love to see that, Ive heard lots about it. Im pretty sure it's not allowed unfortunately. Does anyone know what issue its in so I can track it down?

Also, I didnt realise that the sketches were nearly 10 years old! Thats some great forward thinking Emiliano!

It says "toyfare 77" and announced "big changes in 2004"...

edDy
    Evil is a point of view - Lestat in Interview with the Vampire

See my trading feedback here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...eedback-Thread