Thread: King Grayskull startled my neighbor!

Heroic Warrior

King Grayskull startled my neighbor!

Hopefully an amusing story for you. As soon as I saw pictures of King Grayskull, I knew I wanted him in my collection. I am very enthusiastic about this new Masters Classics line.

However, there wasn't any way I was going to be able to make it to ComiCon. But a good friend of mine usually does go and has helped me out with the exclusive items in the past, and was able to do so once again, acquiring for me the three items from this year's ComiCon that I especially wanted -- King Grayskull, the DC Universe Classics Lobo, and Transformers Universe Nemesis Prime.

He shipped these to me via UPS. Unfortunately I was not at home the day they arrived. But a neighbor was, and was willing to accept the package to turn it over to me when I returned to my apartment.

What I didn't know, was that the box talked! (Although in fairness my friend who picked up the toys for me did warn me about the "curse of Grayskull").

So, of course, as easily activated as the box is, my neighbor accidentally bumped the shipping package at one point, only to hear a slightly muffled yell of "I HAVE THE POWER!!!!!"

Fortunately, he is well aware of my hobby, and assumed it had SOMETHING to do with that, but I was just about as surprised when I set it off, as well.

And, vocal effects aside, I have to say that I am EXTREMELY impressed with King Greyskull, and I like what I see with the images of He-Man and Beast Man on the package.

To me, this new line combines a measure of the original Masters with a generous amount of the "attitude" (for lack of a better term) of the 2002 Masters line (in other words, they don't look like muscle-bound bow-legged goofballs), with -- FINALLY -- a generous amount of well-designed articulation.

I wish this new Masters Classics line a LONG, LONG and healthy life, and I look forward to being with it for the duration!

Now I just need to get Grayskull's box to shut up...

This disturbs me quite a bit. If there's no safety tag over the battery to keep the box from talking and the thing talks at the slightest jostle, is my box going to be mute from a dead battery when it finally gets to my door?
    Does anyone know if we can replace the battery?
    Beware of Sham Wow imitators.

Yeah, you can replace the batteries. KG comes with instructions to do just this! He's awesome man! You'll love him
    2 Cor. 12:9 (KJV) "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmites, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

The Last Wielder of the Sword of Power

Faithful Member of Club Eternia

http://photobucket.com/LastEternian

LOL! Thats fun!

What does the blurb on the back of his box say?
    Windblown Advocate since 200x

Heroic Warrior
    Yeah, don't worry about the vocal effects, it comes with instructions for battery removal and replacement.

As for the blurb on the back of the box -- IF IT'LL SHUT UP LONG ENOUGH SO I CAN CONCENTRATE AND TYPE -- it reads as follows:

Long before PRINCE ADAM held the Sword of Power to become HE-MAN, his ancestor, KING GRAYSKULL defended Eternia from evil. Heroically mastering the secret power of his sword, Grayskull fought side-by-side with the cosmic warrior HE-RO against both the evil HORDAK and KING HISS.

Although Grayskull eventually fell before Hordak's magic, he was able to preserve his powers inside the sword, so that one day his descendants could reclaim the power and call upon Grayskull's name whenever evil threatens the peace of Eternia. To this day, Grayskull's spirit remains hidden away deep inside the castle which will forever bear his name.

Some interesting notes there. This is basically the story of Grayskull as told in the modern animated episode flashback, even though this is regarded as a somewhat "Classic" line. Secondly, we have the name "He-Ro" mentioned. Who'd've figured THAT?! Thirdly, we have "King Hiss" spelled properly (and with a "TM" next to it on the box), as opposed to the "King Hsss" from a few years ago.

Some interesting potentials there...

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Cool story.

The Scare is in the Glow! Scare Glow's Avatar
    I can just imagine a grimacing UPS guy walking up with the package while it hollers about having the power every few seconds.

Doorbell rings . . . as anxious fan runs up to answer, a muffled I have The Power is heard clearly. Fan opens door promptly, grinning away.

Fan: Hey, is that my package?

Package: I Have The POWER!

Both look down at box

UPS: Um, yeah . . . sign here.

Box gets shifted.

UPS: okay, all in order here.

Hands box to fan who exhibits extreme anticipation.

UPS guy walks away while heaving a sigh.

Fan slams door closed and proceeds to rip box open, all the while package keeps on Having The POWER!

You know itís gonna happen to someone!

Heroic Warrior
    Actually, it already did. I encountered our local UPS driver this evening. He knows me fairly well from other packages he has delivered in the past, and we spoke briefly. His comment, "Hey, what was in that package I delivered the other day? All morning in my truck it kept yelling 'I HAVE THE POWER!' I couldn't get it to shut up!"

So, I explained the situation. I can just imagine that. Every bump in the road -- "I HAVE THE POWER!!!" But those of you who have mail-ordered or otherwise arranged delivery to your home of King Grayskull MIGHT want to warn your postman or other delivery personnel...!

Oh, and get this -- the UPS guy is a Masters of the Universe fan. When I told him the line was coming back in a collectors' format, he was very interested by this. He says he has a number of original Masters toys still on their cards. So -- I refered him to this Web Site. If a UPS guy shows up in here sometime soon...

The Scare is in the Glow! Scare Glow's Avatar
    Thatís awesome.

Sadly, I must report that my Grayskull package did not holler its battle cry when delivered, and repeated attempts to jostle the packaging resulted in nothing.

Perhaps yours was just fitted with a very sensitive switch?