Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 87

Thread: Returning Figures - experiences, paying for return shipping, etc

  1. #1
    Atomic Powered G-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    2,740

    Returning Figures - experiences, paying for return shipping, etc

    No.

    I don't think that is right at all. I received a Beast-Man that looked like it had been sat on and called Mattel to return it. They said fine and that they'd send me a label to put on the box for return and they'd replace the figure.

    Well, then I get an email from them with the return label attached but (I) have to pay to ship it back. Not to mention, I don't have a printer to print the label so I'd have to go get it printed, costing me a trip to Kinko's on top of everything.

    I think this is complete BS and VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.

    Why should I have to incur all these costs? THEY are the ones that shipped me a crappy figure in a shoddily packed box. If they'd have taken the care to pack the box properly, there would be no problem. I'm very unhappy about this. So, I have to pay roughly another $6 to get the figure.

    I'm really disappointed. If this is the way it's gonna go ...

  2. #2
    Heroic Warrior WDWFreak53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,381
    I completely agree with you. You pay shipping and handling on the figures...I wouldn't be surprised if they make you pay to ship the new ones back to you also. Very poor CS indeed.

    You paid for the figure, paid for it to be shipped to you (relying on them to give you what you paid for...an undamaged product.) You got a damaged product and they make you spend more money to get what you originally purchased to begin with.

    That's completely unfair. I would be on the phone with them explaining the problem...and if they say there's nothing that they can do about it...you can bet your hiney I'd be on the phone with the Better Business Bureau because it is complete BS.

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior Vintage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    161
    Reading about this problem and knowing that some people received He-Man's with two right hands or two right legs, I can only pray that mine doesn't come damaged!

    If it is very frustrating having to pay for a replacement living in the US, imagine how an international fan feels when he sees that his figure is broken or has two right hands!

    A buyer shouldn't have to pay for having his figure replaced.

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior Drewsky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    North Bay, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,097
    They should at least offer a gift code or something on future purchases to re-imburse at least some if not all of the return shipping costs.

    Drewsky...
    Quote Originally Posted by King Grayskull
    By my name shall my decendents have the honor and power to combat evil.
    -----
    There's a third sword of Grayskull...I know it!
    -----
    http://eternia.4t.com
    UNDER RENOVATIONS! Try the first & only Classic line Create-A-Figure!
    -----
    WANTED: MOC MOTUC Whiplash, MOC MOTUC Roboto

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior evenflow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Jersey Represent
    Posts
    4,336
    No way in hell. That is the most messed up thing they could do. If you change your mind thats one thing, but if the figure or even packaging is damaged they should be responsible.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

    "Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

  6. #6
    Turbo Orangutan Kosmic JimPansen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,240
    Thats no good! For international buyers impossible

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior
    chuc98's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Winter Haven, FL
    Posts
    8,479
    No we shouldn't. These are figures meant for collectors, if we get a figure that's not up to collector standards we should be able to ship it back at their cost and they ship a new one at their cost.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

  8. #8
    Atomic Powered G-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    2,740
    Well, I sent Mattel an email and if they don't offer to cover the cost, I'm done with them and this line. And no, I'm not just being dramatic.

    As much as I love MotU - I'm not made of money. To offer a collector figure for $20 and then pay $5 shipping is already pushing the envelope cost-wise. To expect me to pick up the cost on their failed attempt to provide is preposterous.

    That is horrible, horrible customer care and I want them to know it.

  9. #9
    Heroic Warrior Zodac101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,684
    The way I see it, Mattel is charging us(the fans) $20 per figure. With that said, we shouldn't even be getting messed up figures. These should be cuaght before they even leave the factories. Thats what quality control is!!!!!
    Mattel is dropping the ball on these in sooo many ways. Its like they don't even care.

    These issues need to be brought to Mattels attention. This is just unacceptable. We pay top dollar, specailly with todays economy and it seems alot of people are getting less than collectors standard figures. Mattel even said these are for the collectors. This is a collectors line. Then why all of the crapy figures????

    With the price Mattel is charging, there is no way we should have top pay to ship "DEFECTIVE" merchandise back to them!!! Not eve nsmaller companies make thier customers do that. They send call tags or just tell the customers to to keep the defective stuff and then send out the good products.

    I bought an exclusive box set of these Batman/Robin take off stuff. Well one of them was missing a small part. I emailed the company to let them know the one thing was missing an attachment. Not once in the email did I ask for a refund/exchange. I just wanted them to have the heads up to check remaining stock and possibly get the parts in for the future. Next thing I know I have a whole new box of these guys in the mail a few days later. I emailed back asking if they wanted me to pay anything for this. There were only 269 sets of these made!! They said nope, keep both sets. Now that is customer service MATTEL!!!!!
    " I have the POWER!!!!!"
    Need:


    Batman with the Batsignal from 4H line

    Sucessful transactions with: Royalt1us, Jag2045, Zodach, WENDIGO, Burtdawg, Illicitjedi, KingHiss

  10. #10
    Quester JonWes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    14,485
    I don't think they should.

    The sad part is, if all these returns happen then it's going to cut into the profit margin and might make spell trouble for the line. Based on the recent answer saying they instructed the shippers on how to package these figures it seems like Digital River is doing a poor job. If Mattel doesn't want to pay for it, then Digital River should. At the very least they should have a MOC/Not MOC option. Not so that you'd pay more for MOC, but just so they could send out the damaged cards to people who don't care (like me) what the card looks like.

  11. #11
    Atomic Powered G-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    2,740
    Well, I have to give Mattel a compliment now ...

    They just emailed me back and told me they'd send a pre-paid label.

    Apparently I was persuasive and/or they realized their error. Ok, they saved their ass for now.

    (I'm so glad - as I really want to collect this line but I just can't have it breaking my bank by spending frivolous amounts of money to have the damn things re-shipped.)

    So, the lesson here kids: Call, write or e-mail if you are not happy with your service. It works. Thanks to Mattel for covering the cost to reship.

  12. #12
    Heroic Warrior Vintage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    161
    I see a lot of people complaining about the card condition, but I wanted to see a picture of those, just so when I get mine, I will be prepared for the worst!

    Did anyone took a picture of their damage / wet / blister falling cards?

  13. #13
    Heroic Warrior King Kahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    nashville, tn
    Posts
    6,536
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I don't think they should.

    The sad part is, if all these returns happen then it's going to cut into the profit margin and might make spell trouble for the line. Based on the recent answer saying they instructed the shippers on how to package these figures it seems like Digital River is doing a poor job. If Mattel doesn't want to pay for it, then Digital River should. At the very least they should have a MOC/Not MOC option. Not so that you'd pay more for MOC, but just so they could send out the damaged cards to people who don't care (like me) what the card looks like.
    first off, full disclosure, i have had a perfect shopping experience buying figures off of matty so far(knock on wood)

    i feel that

    A. digital river should cover the cost if it is due to messed up packaging for collectors
    a. there should be an option to ensure MOC packages/NOT MOC packages. perhaps an extra dollar more or something. you have to remember though that the people packing are WAAAAY less anal about packaging than us collectors and wont see defects the way we do


    B. if it deals with messed up figures. i.e. then mattel should pay as it is their fault



    i returned som DCU figs(wonder woman had 2 left legs etc) and at first i was going to have to pay shipping. i'd have exchanged them at the store but good luck finding any figures at retail around here.

    all i said was i dont think that is right i should have to pay for defects on their end and they sent me a pre paid label instead. so i think they do a faily good job at customer service


    no one should have to pay for someone else's mistake be it mattel or in most instances here it seems, digital river.
    cogito ergo doleo

  14. #14
    Heroic Warrior Zodac101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,684
    That is what should happen. Mattel is using a second party to handle the shipping. So since Mattel is suppling the CS phone number, they should cover the shipping back and then get reimbursed from Digitol River. And when Mattel is fedup with the number of claims for damaged figures then the yshould use a different company.

    Its just not fair to the customer to covert ANY cost to replace a defective product. It does still come back to Mattel for the defective figures. Ie same hands, feet. Stuff like that. Those should never have left the factory. That is still on Mattel. I understand a few make there way through QC checks. But not as many that people have posted about.

    I hope mine are ok..I will see on wed.
    " I have the POWER!!!!!"
    Need:


    Batman with the Batsignal from 4H line

    Sucessful transactions with: Royalt1us, Jag2045, Zodach, WENDIGO, Burtdawg, Illicitjedi, KingHiss

  15. #15
    Heroic Dad, Teacher, Nerd Uki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    The Woodlands,Tx
    Posts
    13,184
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
    Well, I have to give Mattel a compliment now ...

    They just emailed me back and told me they'd send a pre-paid label.

    Apparently I was persuasive and/or they realized their error. Ok, they saved their ass for now.

    (I'm so glad - as I really want to collect this line but I just can't have it breaking my bank by spending frivolous amounts of money to have the damn things re-shipped.)

    So, the lesson here kids: Call, write or e-mail if you are not happy with your service. It works. Thanks to Mattel for covering the cost to reship.
    Hopefully this is how Mattel will handle ALL returns in the future. Having to pay is ridiculously stupid. Mattel knows better than this.
    MOTU Origins Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Anti-Eternia Characters, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

    Instagram: Just_Thommy
    Hermione's Toy Box on Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8C...xlwUttPSJAUZMA

  16. #16
    Heroic Warrior HE-Fan78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    272
    G-man Good job bro.
    I had the same problem, I requested a pre-paid label and was told that since my He-man was not defective just the packaging was damaged that I would not be sent a pre-paid label, but they would pay shipping back to me.
    I should have followed up more aggressively, but the thought of calling back and arguing with the likes of CSRs like the infamous Jessica I just decided to pay the six bucks and move on. After all the fact that they are sending the figs back for free it kind of makes the shipping I paid a washRight?
    I wish I knew about the email thing though.

    With that said if I get another beat up He-man and Old Beasty can't stand, then Mattys gonna get that silly little crown punched of his head! Err maybe I'll request a full refund and demand new figs be sent out a their expense.
    Last edited by HE-Fan78; December 17, 2008 at 01:52am. Reason: spelling error

  17. #17
    Council Elder Darkspecter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    15,361
    Short answer? No. If the shipping money was coming out of Mattel's pocketbook you better believe everyone worldwide would be receiving figures in prestine condition, as they should be!

    I've had to return a figure to Hasbro Canada and they sent me a pre-paid shipping label (cost me nothing, got a replacement). Another time for a Hasbro figure, the woman just sent me a new one (because the error figure wasn't returnable at the store I bought it at). NECA didn't make me send my He-Man back, they just sent me a new one through UPS.

    I think those are all my toy company experiences...there may be more...but I know I have NEVER had to pay to return a broken figure or a figure that was manufactured improperly...nor should anyone.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

    http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

    You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

    https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

  18. #18
    Heroic Warrior LionO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    New York Baby!
    Posts
    3,170
    I lost about 20+ dollars for the shipping there and back! I'm through with this and not buying any more, I don't need any more headaches.

  19. #19
    Evil Villain!!! adam03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Despondos
    Posts
    4,428
    I have a feeling that they are working on having labels made after all the requests for returns and exchanges, they did it for Grayskull on short notice so why not the rest of MOTUC?

  20. #20
    Bro! Andy Adams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    1,118
    Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    I have a feeling that they are working on having labels made after all the requests for returns and exchanges, they did it for Grayskull on short notice so why not the rest of MOTUC?
    That's funny, I payed to have my Greyskull shipped back. I thought it was dumb for me to pay for them to correct things. I'm glad I finally got it after so many months later, but the thing I didn't appreciate was me having to call them every so often to find out my status. It was disheartening knowing that they had no idea really how to correct things & I had to ask about refund whch in hindsight was only a $28 voucher.

    KG was $30, shipping wasn't included, & neither was returned shipping costs.

    At the end of the day, I'm glad I took the wait & see approach & finally recieved my replacement...but seriously this headache wouldn't be worth it to most other fans. I really hope Matty gets the rest of his act together so that problems like these become extinct!
    Most devastating letters in all of sports entertainment...

  21. #21
    Evil Villain!!! adam03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Despondos
    Posts
    4,428
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent Parker View Post
    That's funny, I payed to have my Greyskull shipped back. I thought it was dumb for me to pay for them to correct things. I'm glad I finally got it after so many months later, but the thing I didn't appreciate was me having to call them every so often to find out my status. It was disheartening knowing that they had no idea really how to correct things & I had to ask about refund whch in hindsight was only a $28 voucher.

    KG was $30, shipping wasn't included, & neither was returned shipping costs.

    At the end of the day, I'm glad I took the wait & see approach & finally recieved my replacement...but seriously this headache wouldn't be worth it to most other fans. I really hope Matty gets the rest of his act together so that problems like these become extinct!
    You may have been of the first people to realize the problem and send yours back before mattel knew it was widespread and made return labels. Anything`s possible when it comes MOTUC

  22. #22
    Heroic Warrior Eternian Poet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,806

    Your Experience with Returning Damaged Goods to Mattel

    Here in Canada, MOTUC takes a month (or more) to arrive.

    Faker finally arrived on Fri.

    Lo! His left arm was really loose at the socket where the shoulder goes in to the torso, not at all posable, and probably caused by the fact that he had two right-shoulder pieces.

    Digital River are sending me a label with which to return Faker & assure me they have a new Faker on hold for me. I'm expecting the whole process to take 2+ mths (going there, processing time, coming back).

    Is this estimate accurate?

    Does anyone have any bad experience with returns?

    Any helpful hints?

    Should I just keep Faker for fear of not getting one back?

    thanks!

  23. #23
    Evil Warrior Soulfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,839
    I sent two fakers back on April 2nd. It arrived in NY on the 8th from Chicago. Mattel sent me an email today, the 20th saying the replacements were being processed and then sent out in a few days. It usually takes about ten days after this email. So it takes almost a full month to make an exchange within the US. So your two month wait is probably pretty close to true.

  24. #24
    Widget
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
    No.

    I don't think that is right at all. I received a Beast-Man that looked like it had been sat on and called Mattel to return it. They said fine and that they'd send me a label to put on the box for return and they'd replace the figure.

    Well, then I get an email from them with the return label attached but (I) have to pay to ship it back. Not to mention, I don't have a printer to print the label so I'd have to go get it printed, costing me a trip to Kinko's on top of everything.

    I think this is complete BS and VERY POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE.

    Why should I have to incur all these costs? THEY are the ones that shipped me a crappy figure in a shoddily packed box. If they'd have taken the care to pack the box properly, there would be no problem. I'm very unhappy about this. So, I have to pay roughly another $6 to get the figure.

    I'm really disappointed. If this is the way it's gonna go ...
    YOU ARE RIGHT BRO

  25. #25
    Heroic Warrior xBBestx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    1,419
    I just got my Fakers today, two of them have two right feet. Called to get them replaced and they said they no longer have replacements left. So they took so damn long to get here that I can't even get replacements on $40 figures that they messed up. Yes being that I live in Canada they ended up costing $40 each after shipment and customs. Not impressed.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •