Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Mega Construx Castle Grayskull

Mega Construx Castle Grayskull

UPDATE June 30, 2019:

Pixel Dan is back with a new review. This time he takes a look at Mega Construx Castle Grayskull from Mattel! Check it out:

---------------------
    So apparently it's up for pre-order on Gamestop? Price $250 and will be released next year it says.
    Click here to pre-order!

Details:
    "Castle Grayskull was built to protect an unknown source of power - and now you can too! Discover all of Grayskull's mysteries when you assemble more than 3,600 pieces to recreate this authentically-detailed and completely faithful castle. Grayskull opens wide to reveal working weapons and launchers, a throne room with surprises, working elevator, and drawbridge that opens and closes. This collectors set also includes 6 micro action figures: He-Man, Skeletor, Man-at-Arms, Teela, Beast Man, and the exclusive Sorceress! Ideal for ages 10 and up.

BUY NEW: $249.99
    Release Date: JAN/1/2020"

It looks amazing! And complex! Maybe 1200 pieces? Any Lego experts care to estimate?

I hope Game Stop is in business long enough to fulfill a 2020 order... .

Quote Originally Posted by Dokto View Post
    It looks amazing! And complex! Maybe 1200 pieces? Any Lego experts care to estimate?

I hope Game Stop is in business long enough to fulfill a 2020 order... .
    Lego is about 10c a piece for a licensed theme.

Heroic Warrior
    The link does not work. Also I saw the listing on GS.com and there no photo.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    WTF?! It is a bricks reproduction of the MotUC castle...!? Disappointing doesn't even begin to express it. How could they drop the ball like this? Was this really their idea of "everything fans wanted" from a MCX Grayskull?? For goodness sake, if I wanted another clamshell, I'd go buy another MotUC Grayskull. This was our one and only chance to ever have a true fully three-dimensional castle with all four sides and a full interior, but they gave us... THIS!? I'm sorry I'm not dropping several hundred on this. It falls short of even my lowest expectations by a long margin.
    Last edited by uaxuctum; February 11, 2019 at 07:14pm.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Heroic Warrior
    To be fair bricks do give at little at bit of realism. I do agree though it’s a bit pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    WTF?! It is a bricks reproduction of the MotUC castle...!? Disappointing doesn't even begin to express it. How could they drop the ball like this? Was this really their idea of "everything fans wanted" from a MCX Grayskull?? For goodness sake, if I wanted another clamshell, I'd go buy another MotUC Grayskull. This was our one and only chance to ever have a true fully three-dimensional castle with all four sides and a full interior, but they gave us... THIS!? I'm sorry I'm not dropping several hundred on this. It falls short of even my lowest expectations by a long margin.

Actually, I really like it for what it is. But I get that anybody expecting a 4 walled Castle would be completely disappointed.

In the grand scheme of things, I am very impressed. Why? To think that after the death of the 80s line, we would see 3 more MOTU lines with 3 more Castle Grayskulls is pretty damned crazy.

Just my 2 cents worth.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; February 11, 2019 at 07:59pm.
    Odd Man Out

A brick version of the vintage Grayskull is pretty much what I expected. That minifig selection sounds good! Goddess, red Beast Man, and a Man-at-Arms that looks very much like it's leaning toward the Alcala version makes me think He-Man and Skeletor are probably Alcala-style versions, as well! Too bad there's no blue Mer-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Fist View Post
    A brick version of the vintage Grayskull is pretty much what I expected. That minifig selection sounds good! Goddess, red Beast Man, and a Man-at-Arms that looks very much like it's leaning toward the Alcala version makes me think He-Man and Skeletor are probably Alcala-style versions, as well! Too bad there's no blue Mer-Man.
    Don't forget the Sorceress! I am actually digging this castle!

Heroic Warrior
    Looks like a young Man-at-arms (no mustache)
    3,600 pieces - pretty amazing

Heroic Warrior
    Has anyone ordered it? It seems legit this is really weird, Mattel does some strange things they do the same things with the multiverse stuff releasing things with no details and no warnings

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    So excited for this! I will buy it. I won't preorder it yet. I'm sure others will carry it (like BBTS) and perhaps for less.
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Creator of Kaiju Kaos.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor68 View Post
    Has anyone ordered it? It seems legit this is really weird, Mattel does some strange things they do the same things with the multiverse stuff releasing things with no details and no warnings
    I'm gonna wait to see if BBTS gets it.

Heroic Warrior
    This playset is to scale with Mega Construx figures. The TMNT Technodrome Star Trek bridge cost less, but that was a few years ago now, and those were probably produced in larger numbers - at least the Technodrome, given the existence of TRU. If this is what two sides cost us now, imagine the cost of 4 sides. It would be crazy. But this thing takes a lot of plastic to make as-is and will be heavy. I'm just disappointed in the character selection for the figures. No King Grayskull of any kind? No Astronaut suit?

Master of Disasters MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Add me to the list of those hoping BBTS lists it for pre-order.
    MOST WANTED: Filmation Whiplash, Filmation Ram Man, Filmation Two-Bad, Filmation Buzz-Off, Filmation Sy-Klone, Ice Armor He-Man

we're not allowed to use four letter swear words on this forum so I will kindly just smile and nod at this news.
    Strange women dressed in bird outfits guarding castles distributing swords and harnesses in no basis for a system of heroism.

Court Magician
    Very nice. Hope other playsets, figures and vehicles are following.

The price is a bummer though - especially when I take shipping and customs for an oversea delivery into account. If the price drops, I'm definitely in.

In 2016 there was a Mega Bloks U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701, piece count of 3098, and was a total build that made for a satisfying challenge, looked great, and was a suitably impressive size and weight. It too was $250 but dropped in price to about half that a year later, and has been consistently priced at $100 on Amazon.

I'll probably splurge and get this castle when it's new and pay Amazon's price for it whenever it gets listed over there, rather than wait a year for a price drop. In my case, I'm judging from past experience of having built a big-ticket Mega set and loved doing it, so I'm sold. Natch, this will be a great castle ... but $250 great? I think so, but for those who aren't sure, I'd say exercise some patience and wait for retailers to drop the price later.

Now, the whole point of building sets is that it's up to you to build it. What if you don't follow the instructions and decide instead to make a four-walled castle with any interior or exterior characteristic you want to give it? Given that you have the pieces on hand of course, more power to you, it's not like the Toy Gods will banish you to Despondos for not sticking to the intended build. If there's any toy form factor where you have the maximum freedom to make the toy your dream version, no matter how much that dream version differs from the picture on the box, this is that form factor. This is your chance. Mattel/Mega has to pick SOMETHING as the intended build, though, and I think they made the right choice by approximating the vintage and MOTUC look.
    A critical cricket is a cricketal critic.

Heroic Warrior
    Geo-Blocking?

Attachment 119420

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldBlade6 View Post
    I'm just disappointed in the character selection for the figures. No King Grayskull of any kind? No Astronaut suit?
    This! We need that suit!! And the weapons rack!! King Grayskull could be an expansion character set.
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Creator of Kaiju Kaos.

megaconstrux castle grayskull preorder up

Mega Construx Masters Of The Universe Castle Grayskull Construction Set Announced - Toy Hype USA
    http://www.toyhypeusa.com/2019/02/11...set-announced/

Yes!!!!! Now He-Man has a place to park his Wind Raider. Is it just me, or does it look like they plan on making Beast Man Red? If so, its good to see them change him up a little. I like how the trap door drops into the prison. Seems like that's how it should have been done originally. It kind of looks like its' modeled after the Classics version of Castle Grayskull.

$250 is expensive, but I'll gladly pay it. I really love this line. I had a lot of fun putting the Wind Raider together, so I can't wait to have 3,600 pieces of Grayskull spread all over my dining room table.
    Hit me up on instagram @MOTUdoobs

$250?!?!?! MOTUC Grayskull seems like a bargain now!

Put scale into the equation here...this thing is probably only about 8 1/2" tall. Hopefully I'm wrong.
    As much as I love this line, that price is really insane.