Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When Did Madame Razz, Kowl, and Light Hope discover Adora was She-Ra?

It's not in the show, but in the Golden hardcover book She-Ra, The Princess of Power (the one with the pink cover), Broom, Madame Razz, and Kowl all accidentally see Adora transform into She-Ra for the first time, and overhear Light Hope's explanation of her powers. Of course, in the book Spirt/Swift Wind is a "she," not a "he," so maybe it is not gospel!

Heroic Warrior
    They probably saw She RA remove her golden tiara .

Heroic Warrior
    Honestly, for all the flak that He-man gets about the poor secret Id... She-ra's was SOOOOOOO much worse.

Every Time He-man shows up... he claims She-ra is his sister... Every time Adam shows up, he's introduced as Adora's brother... For some reason, every time Adam is around... so is He-man.

Add in the fact that Adora left the Horde right when She-ra appeared... and both joined the rebellion...

Honestly, I have a hard time not asking how Kowl found out... but how EVERYONE didn't?!?

I'm all for secret iDs... I loved Adam's. Adora's though.... that dimension hopping made it REALLY hard to take serious...

Adora's Secret Identity

I just started watching She-Ra cartoons again for the first time since I was a kid (I've seen Filmation He-Man several times through since then, including just wrapping up another re-watch). I remember liking She-Ra a bit better back in the 80s, primarily because of Shadow Weaver and the Horde Troopers (it's just more fun to see heroes actually destroy things, I guess). I don't quite share that opinion now for various reasons (mainly my overwhelming preference for Skeletor over Hordak).

I do have one major problem with She-Ra, though, that I wanted to get some feedback on and I also wanted to ask a question.

First the question. The intro says that Kowl, Madame Razz, and Light Hope share Adora's secret. When, though, do they learn this? They don't find it out in the introductory movie. And I'm about 13 episodes into the first season and they don't seem to know. I don't even think Light Hope has appeared yet. Is this just something that happens offscreen (much like He-Man's secret is known by Orko, Man-At-Arms, and the Sorceress)?

Beyond that question, I'm just curious about how the secret identity is managed in She-Ra. Adam's status a lazy playboy and coward might help explain why he's never around when trouble breaks out. And Teela and King Randor criticize him all the time. That criticism, nominally, helps him keep up the ruse. It also really damages his relationship with two people very important to him (his probable love interest and his father) -- that's the price of being He-Man I guess.

But Adora is a trained warrior. She was a force captain for the Horde. She's a leader of the Great Rebellion (it's not actually clear to me where she ranks -- presumably behind Angella and Glimmer). Wouldn't her fellow rebels be livid that she just runs off and hides before every major fight? Wouldn't she need their respect to function as a leader and emissary to all of these places they are trying to convince to join the rebellion?

There's also the problem that Adora goes on every mission where She-Ra just happens to pop up. At least Adam sometimes stays behind or wanders off at the palace before the mission or adventure begins in He-Man.

I realize the secret identity conceit requires a great deal of suspension of disbelief in both shows. But I just think the way it is handled in She-Ra seriously undermines Adora's character.
    Last edited by jscott991; May 7, 2017 at 02:42pm.
    Favorite MOTUC
    1. Shadow Weaver
    2. Evil-Lyn, BG
    3. Skeletor, Filmation
    4. Mer-Man
    5. Orko

Most Wanted: New Version of Sorceress, Filmation She-Ra

I would agree that there is more suspension of disbelief required for the Adora/She-Ra setup, as such. To the point of strain.

Why?

In my opinion, there's a dissonance in the Adora character. That is, her name is "Adora", as if she's a harmless thing to be adored, and yet she's a trained fighter, formerly of the Horde's field assets. That right there is a record skip. I mean, did I miss it -- one way to "fix" this? Was she just so "adorable"/striking in appearance as to use that as her tactical advantage? I mean, all the other Horde captains/principals had names reflecting their gimmic or trick, so this could be consistent with Adora? Although I never saw any of that. She was just a hard-nosed, mind-locked field commander, or so it seemed to me.

Anyhow. That basic problem undermines the rest -- the implausibility of the secret she supposedly maintains among the tight-knit rebellion she serves -- and is known as a capable fighter -- in both identities.

At least Adam/He-Man occasionally used tongue-in-cheek humor over scenarios where his secret was almost exposed, or being threatened. That helps smooth over the strains to suspension of disbelief in his case. And, yeah, Adam was basically a layabout. This further helped the suspension of disbelief of his secret among the characters.

Through the first part of the first season, Adora changes at the drop of a hat, even for situations in which She-Ra is a luxury. At least Adam sometimes tried to do things himself (and in fact, a few episodes were built around that premise).

Adora, despite having a lot more training and being a key figure in a war, seems overly dependent on being She-Ra, which makes it all the more strange that anyone in the Rebellion takes her seriously.
    Last edited by jscott991; May 7, 2017 at 03:00pm.
    Favorite MOTUC
    1. Shadow Weaver
    2. Evil-Lyn, BG
    3. Skeletor, Filmation
    4. Mer-Man
    5. Orko

Most Wanted: New Version of Sorceress, Filmation She-Ra