Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated: Limited Edition MOTU ART BOOK at SDCC - Official Discussion

Heroic Warrior
    Maybe Mattel will listen if they start losing money because of their bad choices.

Is this MOTU-toyline specific, or would it also include Filmation stuff?

And also (the big question for me is), is SHE-RA featured?

Frankly fans, I wouldn't get yourselves too upset over this. 50 pages isn't much.

But I WOULD write a big letter, and post it on the front He-Man.org page telling Mattel, clearly and politely, that enough is flipping enough.

Fans do support this line - like CRAZY - and as an outsider looking in (me being strictly POP and all), it's flat-out bone-headed the way they keep limiting EVERYTHING. Either they're making product available to every Tom, **** and Harriet, or just stop making the product. Fans shouldn't have to be in a constant tug-of-war just to get their hands on something they like.

Seriously people...someone write up a good letter, and post it on the main site. Let Mattel see that y'all are more than a bunch of random, unorganized folks moaning and groaning on message boards.

That's my two cents. This book is a joke. It would serve them right if no one bought it.

EDIT: Yeah, Emiliano. I'm so fed-up of this "Mattel doesn't work with BCI who doesn't work with Filmation, right rights rights, legal legal legal, excuses excuses excuses, blablabla" line they're feeding us/you, month after month and year after year.
    Last edited by DisneyBoy; July 10, 2009 at 08:19pm.

Quote Originally Posted by soundwavempl View Post
    Ok, so it has to be a limited release. Why not release it as a He-man.org exclusive or MattyCollector.com exclusive?
    Yeah, even if I'm biased for obvious reasons, this sounds like a logical move.

Make it an exclusive on Matty or with us on He-Man.org maybe.
    This book is for the fans.
    Not generic fans. This books is for people that have loved He-Man since 1982 and loved MOTU ever since (I'm not forgetting who came in later, it just sounds better to say it that way )
    Yeah, people like me, Eamon, Val, and many many others woderful members of this great community.
    People for which MOTU is not just an hobby or a passion but a permanent part of their life.

This book should be a tribute not only to the art of the creators, but also to this loyal group of people around the world the keep up He-Man success and memories.
    Most of these people are here.

It just sounds like a no-brainer.

Mind, you, I'm not attacking Mattel, or Toyguru or any of the people attached to the project.
    I'm sure they did everything possible and they had to do compromises.
    But I also understand fans not privy of all the legalities and I feels thats a point where the communications with Mattel has a company fails.

Sometime Toyguru has to give certain answers because that's what the company allows him to do.
    I think the problem is that Mattel, while making big steps ahead, still isn't truly able to communicate with adult collectors and uses the same corporate talk they use with parents.

But that's kinda OT.
    If there was nothing else possible, fine, let's make 1000 copies.
    But the fans want them. Give them straight to the fans here or on Mattycollector.

Untruthful rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post

It just sounds like a no-brainer.
    I totally agree with your whole post Emiliano. The next thing we'll hear from Matty is that due to legal reasons they couldn't offer it to just MOTU fans (He-Man.org).

I'm not happy Mattel.
    Last edited by Emiliano; July 10, 2009 at 08:45pm. Reason: No need for name calling
    Don't hesitate in dealing with Cilman Thread

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Is this MOTU-toyline specific, or would it also include Filmation stuff?

And also (the big question for me is), is SHE-RA featured?
    Every era of MOTU is featured.

Fans do support this line - like CRAZY - and as an outsider looking in (me being strictly POP and all), it's flat-out bone-headed the way they keep limiting EVERYTHING. Either they're making product available to every Tom, **** and Harriet, or just stop making the product. Fans shouldn't have to be in a constant tug-of-war just to get their hands on something they like.

Seriously people...someone write up a good letter, and post it on the main site. Let Mattel see that y'all are more than a bunch of random, unorganized folks moaning and groaning on message boards.

That's my two cents. This book is a joke. It would serve them right if no one bought it.
    Unfortunately this new Mattel policy of making stuff insanely rare just makes MOTU, JLU and DC Universe fans just want it all the more. It creates an "I must get this NOW!" frame of mind before it's gone.

And it works for them. DC Universe Classic is a hit and can't stay on shelves. With MOTUC, each character sells out in hours or less.

As far as the toys, fans can't boycott MOTUC or else it could mean the last straw for MOTU toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    I know this is going to sound sarcastic.. and it is actually.
    I enjoy a lot the fact that I can log in many online shops every two months, and order the nlatest volume in this series of beautiful Transformers books: Transformers Generations and get them delivered to me from Japan, with no stress at all.
    All official, full of toys, production art, catalog scans, interviews, etc.
    You know, that's a good point. What the hell is going on with Mattel? There was a rights issue which made them only able to print a thousand? What does that mean? Based on their statements it would seem that the rights to this property are owned by a dozen different entities. Some own the cartoon rights, others own the artwork rights, others own this or that. I've never heard of a company having such difficulty with the legalities regarding their properties. Emiliano, at the risk of offending higher-ups, can I ask if you have any insight into the legal aspect of this, having worked with Mattel first hand in the past? Do you have any idea what's going on over there?

I find it amusing that production numbers are always off limits for legal reasons yet with this book they have no problem releasing production numbers that are.... wait for it..... required for legal reasons.

Oh and thanks Mattel. You continue to show that you have fans' interests in mind. You continue to live up to your "Matty word."
    Last edited by foots_mcgee; July 11, 2009 at 02:08am.

Maybe the lesson here is we should stop telling them the stuff we, as some of the most hard core fans, really really want. Apparently all that stuff will get made into exclusives. Maybe SDCC 2010 will feature a mini-comics collection limited to 1000 copies.

Quote Originally Posted by erisk View Post
    You know, that's a good point. What the hell is going on with Mattel? There was a rights issue which made them only able to print a thousand? What does that mean? Based on their statements it would seem that the rights to this property are owned by a dozen different entities. Some own the cartoon rights, others own the artwork rights, others own this or that. I've never heard of a company having such difficulty with the legalities regarding their properties. Emiliano, at the risk of offending higher-ups, can I ask if you have any insight into the legal aspect of this, having worked with Mattel first hand in the past? Do you have any idea what's going on over there?
    Even Hasbro didn't own the rights to the Sunbow library until they purchased the rights to all of those cartoons a few years ago. So it's not unheard of.

Maybe during the 90's when MOTU was a dead franchise, it wasn't a concern.

Leaves me with an uncomplete collection, I say they should have just not done it at all and offered the material as a gallery on matty!

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    Leaves me with an uncomplete collection, I say they should have just not done it at all and offered the material as a gallery on matty!
    It definitely isn't the first time, Adam.

JLU=Only 100 Hal Jordan figures available to employees during a company Christmas Party.

DC Universe Classics=Gleek from the Wonder Twins Set.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Even Hasbro didn't own the rights to the Sunbow library until they purchased the rights to all of those cartoons a few years ago. So it's not unheard of.

Maybe during the 90's when MOTU was a dead franchise, it wasn't a concern.
    Hasbro was smart enough to buy the rights to their properties back, I hope mattel is working on this. honestly remembering when I was a kid going to the store and seeing original mattel lines was great, now all mattel has on the shelves is stuff they license. it's pathetic for "the World's Biggest Toy Company" nothing (save for barbie and hot wheels) on the shelves belongs to them and honestly their presence in the boy aisles is minimal. they really should be ashamed of themselves, their biggest rival - Hasbro never gave up on their flagship boy lines, they ALWAYS tried to keep GI Joe and Transformers in the stores. they failed or at least didn't succeed spectacularly many times, but there was always an attempt and a presence. even with the 'animorphs' line they slapped on a transformers label just to keep brand awareness even though it had nothing to do with Transformers..
    Last edited by krosfyah; July 10, 2009 at 09:02pm.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

*lol*
    Canīt wait for the moment when i go to zvab.c** and to see the book there as a signed edition for just 1500 $ like some rare photobooks of Bruce Weber or Helmut Newton, pay with Mastercard or Visa. Great !

It definitely isn't the first time, Adam.

JLU=Only 100 Hal Jordan figures available to employees during a company Christmas Party.

DC Universe Classics=Gleek from the Wonder Twins Set.
    I know it isn`t and that`s what troubles me seems to be a trend with mattel

Quote Originally Posted by erisk View Post
    Sorry I can't help.
    I know almost as much as you guys.
    I don't think there is any problem with who own the rights to the Art.
    Mattel owns it all.
    It's from their archives, produced buy their employes, for their brands.
    If it wasn't Mattel, it would simply not be in the book.
    So I don't think the problems is there.
    I think it has to to with showing production art, wich is still considered a big secret by toy companies (even 25+ years later...) and/or just doing a book, which is a different product that what Mattel usually does.

If it's the first, well 1000 or 10.000 is stil public.
    If the second, I wonder if it was possible to just licensing it to someone else

Or, maybe the could do something the did in the past
    Like the Power of the Evil Horde book in the Hordak+Grizzlor giftset.
    It could be a He-Man celebrative variant and sell the book with it as an "extra".

In all fairness, it was different with Hasbro. They didn't own the right to the actual cartoon, but still Transformers DVD had to have the Hasbro logo on them. (While we never dealt with Mattel when doing the Filmation He-Man)
    They could license stuff. IDW published a book with Tranformers model sheets from the cartoon and it was licensed by Hasbro, not by TVLoonland.

Of course that means the rights situations was different for them.

I'm having a little sticker shock. The price doesn't fit the presentation, as the basic making of art book is only 30-45.00 and it's hard cover. The most I've paid for a soft cover 35-40.00 was the MoMA Pixar book and it had 175 pgs. I'm disappointed at the fleecing Mattel is doing to the fans. My predicament now is do I suck it up and buy the book? Or never own the art and or wait to get ripped even more on the bay......

Quote Originally Posted by jegoing View Post
    I'm having a little sticker shock. The price doesn't fit the presentation, as the basic making of art book is only 30-45.00 and it's hard cover. The most I've paid for a soft cover 35-40.00 was the MoMA Pixar book and it had 175 pgs. I'm disappointed at the fleecing Mattel is doing to the fans. My predicament now is do I suck it up and buy the book? Or never own the art and or wait to get ripped even more on the bay......
    to be fair in a sense they are only printing 1000 the art books you have were printed in much greater quantity than that, so it's really not fleecing, it's short changing the fans but it's economy of scale, if they did 10,000 then they could lower the price I'm sure. I'd still like to know the legalities, maybe since Mattel doesn't have a publishing dept to stay within taxes and the law as a toy company they had to do a minimal amount, but again all they'd have to do is pack it with he-ro or something and sell it no?

whatever the case is I'm still holding out hope. I've missed out on a few MOTUC figs due to money issues, it'snot the end of the world (though I still want them) to miss out on MOTU products. esp since I still believe I'm going to be mega rich one day.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I'll be passing this year and sighing relief it is not a figure.

I absolutely love that they are putting out this book! I cannot wait to page through the little gem. Even if it has a lot of art we've already seen throughout the years, it will be worth it to have it in such a nice and easily viewable manner.

I can understand why they are putting it out as an SDCC exclusive as well. This whole MOTUC is to keep the name out there in the collector market that will eventually in a grassroots type of way support a motion picture if/when starts to actually happen, etc. -- not specifically with hardcore He-Man fans. I mean, let's face it, we are hardcore. We already know what is going on and never forget about He-Man. Fans will get the book -- but remember, there are different levels of fans: from the extreme casual to the extreme hardcore insane person. Every fandom has that.

Also, as far as I know, Mattel really has never put out a product like this. Sounds like they are going to test it with a few volumes (and not all He-Man?). If all goes well perhaps we will see a wider release of something MOTU related that has similar content in the future.

Hopefully my friend is able to get me one at SDCC-- if not I'll hit up Matty and/or eBay for this baby! I think I like this even more than He-Ro!

Talk about your good news and bad news!

This is a MUST HAVE for me!!!!! But only 1000?????? Looks like I will never own it!!!!! Talk about a friggin tease!!
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Heroic Warrior of Avion
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    Hopefully my friend is able to get me one at SDCC-- if not I'll hit up Matty and/or eBay for this baby! I think I like this even more than He-Ro!
    Agreed! And I never thought I'd say that in regards to He-Ro (cause I needs him!)... but I'm stoked for the book!

--Leanne

Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    I can understand why they are putting it out as an SDCC exclusive as well. This whole MOTUC is to keep the name out there in the collector market that will eventually in a grassroots type of way support a motion picture if/when starts to actually happen, etc. -- not specifically with hardcore He-Man fans. I mean, let's face it, we are hardcore. We already know what is going on and never forget about He-Man. Fans will get the book -- but remember, there are different levels of fans: from the extreme casual to the extreme hardcore insane person. Every fandom has that.
    I don't know anyone that isn't "hardcore" about something that would pay $50 for 53 pages of art that they aren't "hardcore" about. Only the hardcore and the resellers will buy a book of that size for that price.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

Yep this blows...as many of you have already said! Best thing I have seen is this should of been an org exclusive!

whatever man

why the crap is mattel so stingy with their merchandise? i mean resellers got the classics figures and then they resell em for 3 times as much as the original price and now this stuff this is a bunch of crapand i hope they put the classics figures in retail stores soon sry if im too negative i love mattel but is it me or are they getting out of hand with this stuff.especially in this economy.