Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated: Limited Edition MOTU ART BOOK at SDCC - Official Discussion

I would love to get a copy of this book. I understand the whole not wanting to over estimate the demand for a product, but I would be open to signing up for a pre order so Mattel can get an idea of the interest in new projects. To me that makes the most sense, but then again I am not a business man.

We've been talking about wanting a MOTU art book for years and to have it as just an exclusive of a 1000 at a con is kind of a slap in the face.

Do you think this might have something to do with artwork showcasing future MOTU projects, like the film? Maybe they’re limited because of that?

Just a thought.

boris, frazetta and julie

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    53 pages? For $50 each? Is it folio-sized?

(Cue the Snake Mountain Wolf Howl from Filmation)

I hope there is a lot of material put on those 53 pages.
    I guess I'm used to the Frazetta, Boris and Julie artbooks...
    oh yeah definatly, they would have like 1000 pages or better with tons of neat little facts i also have the boris cards.thier awsome

Heroic Warrior
    Now, houres later i'm still disappointed! I had seen the new message on Facebook where Toyguru explained there decision.

I have no enjoyment with this News! Because i don't think that i ever get this Book! For me i't would be better if this Book would'nt exist!!

50$ would be a good Price! But i have a Idea of the Ebay-Prices if there are only 1000!

Sounds like an awesome coffee table book - though I'm sure Cosmo Kramer hasn't been involved at any stage.
    "This is a rather shameless promotion"

"Worked on me!"

"Me too!"

So... Mattel really like to give money to E-bay sellers...
    This time with a limited edition book, sold for 50$ on SDCC and for 500 or more on e-bay next day...

Well done guys... From MOTUC to books, what will come next, Filmation rights sold on e-bay, and Mattel clapping hands...?
    Now available for commissions.

Subscribe to TMNT Redesign Challenge News,
    if you want to be update to every The Technodrome Redesign Challenge.

Check my customs at Figure Realm
    Deviantart - http://gomes31.deviantart.com/
    www.facebook.com/Ulisses31Omega
    www.facebook.com/PauloGomesArt
    If you cannot convince them, confuse them. - Harry S Truman

This item sounds like it's going to be super cool! However, I find it quite bush league that they are only doing 1000 and ONLY DOING THEM AT SDCC!!! I'm with Emiliano on wondering why they aren't giving these to He-Man.Org to distribute? This is something all of us would give our right arms to have and something we've begged and begged for. And all they can do is 1000 to be sold at SDCC? That's just really REALLY bush league.

I hope that they sure don't do this to a book compiling the vintage mini-comics some day!

I'm still disgruntled hours later also. What keeps going through my mind is that Toyguru has been hinting at something like this for awhile now, and now a lot of real fans won't get to see it. Maybe it will come out again, maybe it won't, I just feel that we have been let down by a company we have greatly supported. And yes, I understand the concept of exclusive, I just think this is a really unfair one.

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    Oh man I wish I wish I wish I could attend!

Does that mean you would need a pass basically, in order to wait in the Mattel line, on the right day, and not in the buy-a-ticket line? I'm not sure how that works exactly.

Either way, I hope I can find one for sure, and I hope it has some rare stuff in it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lookie View Post
    I don't know anyone that isn't "hardcore" about something that would pay $50 for 53 pages of art that they aren't "hardcore" about. Only the hardcore and the resellers will buy a book of that size for that price.
    Nah, personally I've bought expensive items (collector items) of things I am only a casual fan of. MOTU can hit a wide-spectrum of people. Don't get me wrong, many of the books will pop up on eBay. But that is true with most anything these days. You can't avoid it.

I would love this book. I find this a strange move by Mattel. Surely they're planning on re-printing this down the line? 1000 coppies is just going to anger fans, knowing that a large number of these will be brought by resellers looking to make a quick buck, again at the true fans expense.

This news should be exciting, instead, the inability to purchase these items in realilty is kind of depressing.
    "Where does he get those wonderful toys?"

This sucks! I so want one & I'm certain E-bay prices will be of the chart!!
    My DA Page

www.TheBeastLegion.com is officially online. You can read the Manga in it's entirity there! Hope you give it a try enjoy it.

Beast Legion FaceBook Page ...Join me & help spread the word!!

I'm still bitter feeling about this. There better be some POP at SDCC to make up for it.

Anyhow, at first I also thought Mattel might be reaching out to the casual fan at SDCC to get the hype machine going for the live-action movie, but then it's like... what are those few hundred casual fans actually going to do to help spread the word? If they're too lazy/busy to keep up with MOTU on the net, are they gonna be motivated to go round showing MOTU concept art to their friends? Seems highly unlikely it will cause some sort of mass-awarness anyway, unless someone took to the internet with all the pics. And we can all do that ourselves!!
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

For Hordak. To the death. lorde trooper's Avatar
    Getting my 2 cents in here, Mattel obviously dosent care about the international collector here, nor most Americans who cant just drop everything and hope onto a plane to San Diego. Really though there are a tonne of international fans supporting the motu line and they couldnt even offer them through matty knowing that we will have to resort to ebay, that stinks.

Mattel will clear the 1000 cpoies even if they sold them for $100ea but they dont care how much we have to pay on the secondary market. I think Mattel are forgetting about us die hard fans. Shame on you. Making the book, good concept, delivering standards, poor as usual.

Mattel would clear these 1000 copies regardless whether it was at SDCC or on Matty, why couldnt they show the book at SDCC stating it would be sold on Matty, they are slapping us in the face. I might sound ungrateful but this is the way i feel.
    Evil Army of the Horde!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Anyhow, at first I also thought Mattel might be reaching out to the casual fan at SDCC to get the hype machine going for the live-action movie, but then it's like... what are those few hundred casual fans actually going to do to help spread the word? If they're too lazy/busy to keep up with MOTU on the net, are they gonna be motivated to go round showing MOTU concept art to their friends? Seems highly unlikely it will cause some sort of mass-awarness anyway, unless someone took to the internet with all the pics. And we can all do that ourselves!!
    Valid points. The book could, in theory, be something of a conversation spark though. Plus, Mattel may have wanted a big debut splash for this type of item being introduced to mattycollector.com -- it also hypes up the site itself.

Bummer!

Why only 1000 copies?

If they made the book, as they obvisusly did, it would have costed them like nothing to produse 10.000 insted!
    Armageddon will soon be here,
    the sinners will meet their fate.
    But I am calm and without fear,
    as I feed upon my hate.

Wow,
    I hope one day I'll be able to look thru one.
    I miss the old days when They used to pass on a number of exclusives items thru this site.
    Well two tears in a bucket...
    Teela the Warrior Goddess is my homegirl.

Quote Originally Posted by Fneh View Post

53 pages is a joke for a book that's been 25 years in the making
    Hallelujah!
    Armageddon will soon be here,
    the sinners will meet their fate.
    But I am calm and without fear,
    as I feed upon my hate.

Oh, well. This idea was fun while it lasted.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nutnog View Post
    I'll be passing this year and sighing relief it is not a figure.
    Until next year when they pull this stunt on a long awaited figure like the Green Goddess or Queen Marlena.

The problem is that you can't change Mattel's mind, no matter how terrible the backlash. Gleek didn't do it. 200X in MOTUC didn't do it. The half armor didn't do it. Maskless Green Lantern didn't do it.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    There is an eBay auction for the art book ALREADY.

This guy has 7 available. Incredible.

Well I have been given the go-ahead from the wife to scour eBay for the book. I am not to go over $150.00, and I pray the price gets no where near that amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    Yeah, even if I'm biased for obvious reasons, this sounds like a logical move.

Make it an exclusive on Matty or with us on He-Man.org maybe.
    This book is for the fans.
    Not generic fans. This books is for people that have loved He-Man since 1982 and loved MOTU ever since (I'm not forgetting who came in later, it just sounds better to say it that way )
    Yeah, people like me, Eamon, Val, and many many others woderful members of this great community.
    People for which MOTU is not just an hobby or a passion but a permanent part of their life.

This book should be a tribute not only to the art of the creators, but also to this loyal group of people around the world the keep up He-Man success and memories.
    Most of these people are here.

It just sounds like a no-brainer.

Mind, you, I'm not attacking Mattel, or Toyguru or any of the people attached to the project.
    I'm sure they did everything possible and they had to do compromises.
    But I also understand fans not privy of all the legalities and I feels thats a point where the communications with Mattel has a company fails.

Sometime Toyguru has to give certain answers because that's what the company allows him to do.
    I think the problem is that Mattel, while making big steps ahead, still isn't truly able to communicate with adult collectors and uses the same corporate speking they use with parents.

But that's kinda OT.
    If there was nothing else possible, fine, let's make 1000 copies.
    But the fans want them. Give them straight to the fans here or on Mattycollector.
    I wholeheartedly agree. I think this particular move on Mattel's part was a major misstep. There seems to be a lot of negativity going around lately regarding their lack of appreciation for fans. Frankly, I'm losing a bit of excitement about the MOTUC line due to this. I normally stay out of the fray with the different complaints that float around regarding Mattel. But, this time, I think the outcry is valid. The He-Man.org community is their biggest supporter, yet they don't seem to want to acknowledge that. It's disappointing, really. I totally support the notion of SDCC exclusives (that is not where my concern lies), but this book in particular should've been offered to the .org members to show appreciation.

Widget
    Hopefully, this item may be the bonus item that mattel said they would offer to the 12 month subscription, but without the numbering and the ribbon. Here's hoping anyway.