Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated: Limited Edition MOTU ART BOOK at SDCC - Official Discussion

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    Um, yeah. That's going to change once the price increases by $3 per figure (making them around $15 each!) which is what Mattel is doing with DCUC. I'm telling you, they're just shooting themselves in the foot. Over and over and over again. People are just going to stop giving Mattel money at some point because like a lot of others have said, this should be fun. Not a chore. Folks have real jobs and real problems (some folks have no jobs these days, and that's a real problem!) and won't be adding "toy collecting" on top of all of that... if one thing Mattel is 100% capable of and has a real knack for, consistently through the past several years, it's alienating it's audience
    I don't think the price change will turn off most collectors. People still brought the ML Fin Fang Foom and Red Hulk waves and most of those figures were crap IMO.

DC Universe Classics have better quality and consistent sculpting making the decision to still support them even easier. If the $15 DC Universe Classics stopped being done by the Horsemen, the price hike might be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by brimstone72875 View Post
    Well I have been given the go-ahead from the wife to scour eBay for the book. I am not to go over $150.00, and I pray the price gets no where near that amount.
    Quote Originally Posted by tenno View Post
    You know, I believe that Mattel will see some of this annoyance and make the book available in a different version. It doesn't suit anyone to only have 1000 available ever. Everyone gets paid more if more are available, and such a small limitation only turns more fans away.
    So, Mattel, right after your little SDCC exclusive, give the rest of us some hope here!
    Those are both nice pipe dreams my friends!! But not gonna happen on either counts!!

Yeah great decision Mattel. So do you consider that a large portion of the MOTU fanbase posts here on he-man.org?? So in theory there is what 80% negative for this and 20% positive? Again genius move! Thanks for the big huge middle finger to those of us that will never get one of these!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TIRPITZ View Post
    I totally agree with what you said. I really feel it's more enjoyable to be fan a G.I.Joe, Transformers of any other brand than MOTU these days.
    I agree with you guys too. While I love allot a thing MOTU offer, but collecting the brand is as fun as pulling my own hair out.

Quote Originally Posted by TIRPITZ View Post
    No other company has the power to upset its fan base like Mattel does on a regular basis.
    Right now, I am not as heavily into MOTU as I was during the 200x era. Now that I am not so close to the subject matter, I am looking at the fandom with new eyes. An while I agree that Mattel could do a much better job in some areas, I am also seeing some of MOTU fan disappointment is self inflected. We are such perfectionist, it hurts.

For such a small fan base, we get allot of things "right". There things I am fan of that have toy line I never collect because they are utter garbage. With MOTU, it is unforgivable if someone belt isn't the "fan" approved color. I wish I could get Avatar figures as accurately sculpted as MOTU figures that I only had to change the belt color on.

I'll be up front, I am a passionate 200x fan- I've posted my demands and disappointments in regards to the line- I get riled up . You know why? Because while Mattel may not be perfect, they do listen to these forums to some degree. Who would have ever thought the Green Goddess would even be possible? With enough fan support, allot of people wishes have come true.

That's why I am still going to root for Marzo to be made as close to 200x as possible in the MOTUC line- because Mattel just might take my and other fans wishes to the drawing board. If they don't, I'm adopting the same attitude I have towards other lines I collect, "maybe next time". With Transformers, if I don't like what is currently out, I just wait a few years, and they bring out something new that excites me. With other lines- you have to either accept what they are giving you or just not buy it, because there is no avenue for fan input (why Japan, why won't you make bad guys, why does it always have to be girls showing their nickers).

For this book- yes it terrible it is so limited, but I rather it be made than not at all. I'm look at it as a stepping stone for Mattel- if they put this one out, to me it means they may finding a way to cut through the red tape in their own legal department to make more books like it available in the future.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by enlightenedbray View Post
    Reptile, I agree with you 100%. This is definitely not something Mattel wanted to do, and making 1,000 copies as opposed to none would seem to be in the best interest of MOTU fans. Again, I agree with you in that, if I can't get it now, perhaps I can get it later on.
    If you do, it won't be from Mattel. You should be able to pull it from eBay for about $300, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoward View Post
    To quote Spock: "You must learn to govern your passions, Doctor. They will be your undoing."
    They seem more likely to be Mattel's undoing, actually, considering it was Mattel who made what I think is a ridiculous move.

Quote Originally Posted by Too-Man-E-Faces View Post
    Great move, Matty!
    A couple more exclusives produced and distributed like this and I'll quit collecting this line for good. I'm a big fan since my childhood and I've collected at least a part of every MotU line that ever saw its release. How many people are out there who desperately wanted something like a book that collects the box art and some unreleased even prototype material? That's right: more than the 500 people attending SDCC, a part of whom will try to press money out of other fans who REALLY want this book - by selling their copies on eBay.

Honestly, by this exclusive "idea" I feel like I am constantly being slapped in the face. Thank you so much.
    I'm the same way. I've been an avid MOTU fan since literally 1982 and I am sick and tired of Mattel not getting it. It's always something with them, whether it's an overproduction of He-Man and Skeletor variants, an exclusive SDCC figure that fans desperately want released in the mainstream line being just out of reach, or instances such as this. The only thing that Mattel understands is losing money, same as any company. That's why I'm not waiting for a few more "slaps in the face". I'm leaving the line right now, because there's no time like the present to make a change.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    Here is some questions for you

SDCC is sold out so this is only hypothetical.

Would you rather this announcement had been made at SDCC and the item available there or would you have prefered to have the announcement made now like it was?

If SDCC was not sold out would this announcement sway your decision to go to the con?

I only ask because everyone is making such a big deal over this so I am intrigued to know if you would have gone to the con if you knew earlier that this was available.
    I can't make it to the con, regardless, and know no one who is going to the con. Even if I could go, I would still think this is a ludicrous idea and would probably quit the line because Mattel's decision cheats ALL fans. I'm unselfish like that (to a degree).

Quote Originally Posted by Fneh View Post
    I'm wondering if the price is so unreasonable to scare off resellers....

I mean, how many ppl here would seriously pay over $50 for this item? It's not even a decent quality, hardback book. It's going to be a $50 COMIC at the end of the day.

I'm serious in asking just how many ppl would honestly pay $100+ for a comic on ebay that will probably ultimately be released in a proper book next year anyway (I would bet my ass that they put the entire book's contents in the mini comic collection we were promised last year and this "book" at SDCC is just a novelty item that could be produced for next to nothing (because they already plan on the book) and the terms for producing content from their upcoming book was that it be made limited to 1000 copies so it wouldn't hinder sales of the book being worked on.

Oh, and just to point out, the only reason resellers get $100+ for something so worthless in the firstplace is because someone's stupid enough to pay it.
    I would pay $50.00, given the opportunity to do so. Mattel has felt that I don't deserve that opportunity. As for the resellers, price doesn't deter them when they can make double or triple that much by selling on eBay. And yes, I do agree that they only make that much because people will buy them, but at the same time, why should Mattel pander to such resellers?

Quote Originally Posted by kai View Post
    Now I am super-annoyed at Mattel aswell. Really, distributing something like 100 copies of that book through he-man.org would have been the proper thing to do IMO. If I had the back-bone, I'd start boycotting MOTUC toyline. But I don't. So self-loathing, here I come.
    And this is why Mattel will continue to pull stunts like this: no matter how much you all SAY you hate this, you are unwilling to put your money where your mouth is as it were and boycott. Mattel knows that they could make Rio Blast (or Lubic or Green Goddess or whomever you wish to substitute to make this example relevant to you) a con exclusive, limit him to 100 pieces, sell him only to card-carrying resellers, and you'd STILL come back next month to buy another figure. All of this complaining is just sound and fury until you put action behind it, which you never will. So most of these posts shouldn't even exist, by right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bock View Post
    This is something so AWESOME that it hurts! I really want one. This is so freaking cool. How am I gonna get one!?
    Take out a mortgage on your house and go to eBay. That's the only real option Mattel has given you.

Quote Originally Posted by tenno View Post
    You know, I believe that Mattel will see some of this annoyance and make the book available in a different version. It doesn't suit anyone to only have 1000 available ever. Everyone gets paid more if more are available, and such a small limitation only turns more fans away.
    So, Mattel, right after your little SDCC exclusive, give the rest of us some hope here!
    They can't (or won't) due to their nebulous "legal issues". Either way, you're not likely to see it for a long time, if ever. It's DC Animated Hal Jordan, it's Gleek, it's Keldor...it's all of these all over again. And again, And again.

Quote Originally Posted by enlightenedbray View Post
    I think it's disgusting how Mattel, the creators of Masters of the Universe, have been so limited to what they can and can't do.
    I highly doubt the "legal issues" excuse is real. Usually, companies toss that out to deter further inquiry into why they will or won't do something because saying "legal issues" makes the ordinary person say, "That sounds complicated and I probably wouldn't understand the explanation so I won't ask anymore questions". I think the honest truth is that Mattel just doesn't want to, just like they just "don't want to" make 200X style figures or alter the two-piece armor.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Until next year when they pull this stunt on a long awaited figure like the Green Goddess or Queen Marlena.

The problem is that you can't change Mattel's mind, no matter how terrible the backlash. Gleek didn't do it. 200X in MOTUC didn't do it. The half armor didn't do it. Maskless Green Lantern didn't do it.
    200X didn't do it because the fanbase remained loyal until the bitter end. Mattel knows that the fanbase will stay loyal because they swallow Mattel's tripe time and time again. Why do you think MOTUC is geared specifically towards fans? To reward us with exclusives most will never have any hope of purchasing? Think about it. If the fanbase walked away, MOTUC would generate considerably less revenue and Mattel would be forced to make changes. But, considering the fanbase, that isn't likely to happen on a wide scale. I'll walk away, and maybe a handful of others, but the majority of people complaining here will come back next month, next year to receive their slap in the face like good little cocker spaniels.

Oh, and Steph: I thought you said you've been out of the fandom and can look at it with new eyes. Interesting, as your rampant Mattel yes-mannery hasn't changed. No offense.
    Last edited by Vending Machine; July 11, 2009 at 10:44am.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Every era of MOTU is featured.

Unfortunately this new Mattel policy of making stuff insanely rare just makes MOTU, JLU and DC Universe fans just want it all the more. It creates an "I must get this NOW!" frame of mind before it's gone.

And it works for them. DC Universe Classic is a hit and can't stay on shelves. With MOTUC, each character sells out in hours or less.
    I don't know how it is in the states but regular retail outlets here in Canada don't REALLY carry DCUC not religiously, yeah Toys r Us got in a recent wave and some two packs, but walmart and zellers don't seem to stock them regularly, Batman the Brave and the Bold figures are only available at TRU as were the DC super friends line and even then it wasn't huge support, Mattel doesn't seem to have a lot going on over here with retailer confidence. the only mattel toys you see at all the stores in the boy aisle are the Dark Knight figs. To contrast that I can go to all the stores and get transformers, gi joe, star wars, spider-man figures.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

In the end, it is still the limited run that keeps boggling my mind. One thousand sounds big when it is dollars...or jelly beans, but an exclusive book only available at a U.S. west coast convention? Just think about this. Last years SDCC had a rough attendance figure of 125,000 people through the doors. That figure does not take into account invited guests, speakers, con workers or vendors...all of whom can shop the dealers room. Now of course not all those people have any interest in this book, but probably more than
    1K do. Just the member list of this site has four thousand plus people on it! Statistically 1K or nothing with figures like these leans way towards nothing, of course i'm just a simple connecticut farmer so what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Vending Machine View Post
    Oh, and Steph: I thought you said you've been out of the fandom and can look at it with new eyes. Interesting, as your rampant Mattel yes-mannery hasn't changed. No offense.
    If not stressing because I have no hope to get my hands on a limit 1000 print book is being a Mattel yes man, then I embrace your "insult". And it is a good thing for me because collecting toys of all lines has because allot less stressful and more enjoyable for me.

I see value in telling Mattel that limiting this book is a bad idea. But I see no value in crying over it. That is all.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    If not stressing because I have no hope to get my hands on a limit 1000 print book is being a Mattel yes man, then I embrace your "insult". And it is a good thing for me because collecting toys of all lines has because allot less stressful and more enjoyable for me.

I see value in telling Mattel that limiting this book is a bad idea. But I see no value in crying over it. That is all.
    Ah. Point taken, and comment retracted with apologies.

If the scans are decent, then 50 bucks ain't so bad for a limited edition book I think.
    I'be bought magazine at SDCC for 25 buck!

I also wonder if that is the final cover art as I have a sneaking suspicion that it might not be?

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano;2143361
    This book should be a tribute not only to the art of the creators, but also to this loyal group of people around the world the keep up He-Man success and memories.
    Most of these people are here.

It just sounds like a no-brainer.

Mind, you, [U
    I'm not attacking Mattel, or Toyguru or any of the people attached to the project[/U].
    I'm sure they did everything possible and they had to do compromises.
    But I also understand fans not privy of all the legalities and I feels thats a point where the communications with Mattel has a company fails.

Sometime Toyguru has to give certain answers because that's what the company allows him to do.
    I think the problem is that Mattel, while making big steps ahead, still isn't truly able to communicate with adult collectors and uses the same corporate talk they use with parents.

But that's kinda OT.
    If there was nothing else possible, fine, let's make 1000 copies.
    But the fans want them. Give them straight to the fans here or on Mattycollector.

I very much agree with what you said here!

Ah. Point taken, and comment retracted with apologies.
    No sweat.

You know, unless they put out a 2nd printing relatively soon after comic-con, I feel like I don't even want to buy this from Mattel anymore. (should things change and they decide to sell it on their site months or years down the road) Part of the fun for me is getting to discuss this stuff with everyone while the news is still fresh.

This whole situation has really got me annoyed feeling, just like the whole thing with the charity auction where it was already decided who the winner would be before the auction even started.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

You know, I tend to try and remain positive through all of the negative talk on these boards. But...I can't do that right now.

I've been lucky so far in that I have been available at noon every month to place my order. I was lucky enough that When I was undecided about this line, and He-Man and Beast Man sold out, they were in my shopping cart. I was even lucky enough to have a friend go to SDCC last year and get a KG for me. But there is no way I can possibly be lucky enough to land one of these books. And at $50 for 53 pages, I'm not sure I'd want to.

This book has been requested by many on these boards since MOTUC began. This site has existed almost as long as personal computers and the internet became popular home commodities. Without this site, MOTU 200X may not have happened. MOTUC definitely would NOT have happened. You would really think Mattel would throw us a bone.

Off-topic - I'm really getting annoyed with the Filmation double speak. Don't tell us you don't have the rights, then have the 4H show a teaser slide, then tell us you still don't have the rights, then ask us what Filmation characters we'd like to see, then tell us again you don't have the rights. You know the interest is there. Now put up, or shut up.

Sigh. Venting done.

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    There are no other owners, Mattel owns the art.
    It's art produced at Mattel, by their employes, for their brand.
    Mattel owns the art I did for the 200x comics, and we where just licensor!
    So the problem isn't that.
    MOTU/POP has one of the craziest setups (legal/rights wise) that I have ever seen. That being said, I don't think it is out of the question to think there is actually is a legal reason as to why they can only publish a limited amount of quantities of the book. Remember, the information said a "variety of legal reasons" -- not just one like "We don't own the art."

And let's face facts -- even if this was a Mattycollector.com exclusive, and not SDCC -- people would still complain that they are only making 1,000 copies.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    That said, I'm gonna cut someone if there's artwork / info. on The Star Sisters in there. heh
    Deep breaths, man! Slow and steady wins the race. Perhaps this book will pave the way for more goodies to come.

Evil Chibi Warrior super-munkyboy's Avatar
    Its a double edged sword for Mattel.

Limited quantities of an art book, mentioning Filmation etc. Its generating buzz. Good and negative, its the kind of marketing they want. Toy sites are picking it up, fan sites, hell Facebook and Twitter.

I'm sure its all helping. If they produced mass market quantities of the book, this would be mentioned, but no where near the capacity now the news of its limited release has been mentioned.

However they also don't want to anger fans, so its difficult.

Not justifying what they' doing, but I think they KNOW what they're doing.

Heroic Warrior
    From a business standpoint, they really don't...not if their alienation of fans will result in lost revenue. In the sense that Mattel knows the fans will complain but ultimately do nothing to back up those complaints, then yes, I guess they do know what they're doing.

as someone who works in publishing i can say that the legal excuse does not hold water. you either have the rights to publish or you do not. period. it is never dependent on the quantity that can be produced. just wanted to make that clear to all.
    Read my book: True Confessions of a Fanboy www.truefanboy.com

Another heart break from Mattel.

"Reap the Whilrwind Mattel. Reap it!"
    -William H. Bonney

Last edited by coolhandmelo; July 11, 2009 at 12:34pm. Reason: new thought
    It's not Vincent Price. It's not Will Smith.
    CHARLTON HESTON IS THE LAST MAN ON EARTH.

Evil Chibi Warrior super-munkyboy's Avatar
    From a business standpoint, they really don't...not if their alienation of fans will result in lost revenue. In the sense that Mattel knows the fans will complain but ultimately do nothing to back up those complaints, then yes, I guess they do know what they're doing.
    Loss in revenue? I challenge that idea. As if fans will really not buy figures, because an art book hasn't been released in mass quantities, or they don't get the figures they want. It'll affect a small percentage if that.

Don't forget not a lot of He-man fans are part of the Org. Some members on the Facebook fan page I run, weren't aware of it.

I'm not happy that the artbook is not released in mass quantities, I was quite ****** at first, but then again you look at it and you havet remember that we don't know the whole stories on things. We just get the slivers of info that we are privvy too.

There is only so much info we are allowed to be given without breaking NDA's etc.

The New Adventures of Ion HeManOfGreyskull's Avatar
    I hope I get one!
    Rob
    Captain Picard:So...five card stud, nothing wild...and the sky's the limit.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph View Post
    For such a small fan base, we get allot of things "right".
    Aside from hiring the 4H to sculpt 99% of the worthwhile product they put out, I'm not sure what other "right" decisions Mattel has made of late.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoward View Post
    Yes, but wasn't it a thin, comic book style sketchbook? Certainly not an art book in the traditional sense. I could be remembering wrong, but I think it just had a few sketches and was no where near the all encompassing, history of the brand type art book that Mattel is attempting here.

Plus, that was still a Comic Con exclusive, wasn't it? It wasn't a readily available, mass released book, which only further serves to prove the point I was trying to make in response to Emiliano.

I don't know what you're getting at exactly with the "better quality fanbase" remark, but I don't think a lot of the angry and kneejerk responses posted today speak well of MOTU fans in general. I know emoting feels good, but it doesn't always do good.

To quote Spock: "You must learn to govern your passions, Doctor. They will be your undoing."
    What I meant about the fanbase quality is that I've been part of the TF internet fanbase since 2003 (always been a TF fan) and I've seen the TF fanbase tear itself apart over and over and over. Way more so than the MOTU fanbase. The MOTU fanbase has a lot of the same issues as any fanbase, but from my experience the TF fanbase is way more venomous and hateful towards each other than either the GI Joe fandom or MOTU fandom. That's all.

And you are right about the Hasbro sketchbook, it was a SDCC thing and way smaller than this book that Mattel is making, I was just pointing out that Hasbro did release an art book.
    Plus Hasbro liscensed out the Ark books which were animation model/art books.
    Last edited by Bulkhide; July 11, 2009 at 01:25pm.
    Supporter of All Eras! Including "Son of He-Man"!

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    Aside from hiring the 4H to sculpt 99% of the worthwhile product they put out, I'm not sure what other "right" decisions Mattel has made of late.
    I'm choosing to look at the glass half full.

They continuing to produce MOTU figures despite their (Mattels) previous failing. The figures they produce a reasonable quality for their price point. They are trying to please most fans with one sculpt as possible by going back to the 80's roots and including pack-ins to expand the appeal to different eras. Fans (rightfully) complained about ordering and shipping- they are making improvements monthly. Fans asked for a subscription service, they started one. With coming of SDCC, we will know and see the line up for the next 6 characters, oppose only one or two months in advance. Between here and there Facebook page, (love it or hate it) they do interact with fans.

There are negative for sure, but to recycle a line that was used during the 200x/NECA era, and as messed up as Mattel is, we should be happy that they are making MOTU at all.

I'd love to get one AT COST because paying $90-100 or more for a book that hasn't even gone on sale yet for more than $50 is a joke..

Same old Mattel :rollseyes:

I don't want to sound like I'm saying that Mattel hates puppies or anything but I think it sure seems lately like they are showing signs of old careless big greed corporate mattel.

Regarding the 1,000 copies or no book posts, I kind of agree. I'd personally rather there be no copies at this time until Mattel came up with a better system to not alienate so many fans whilst catering to the aftermarket.

Maybe a reprint can solve some of this in the future (if that even sees that light of day) but I seriously wonder what type of damage it will reak on the fanbase now in the present time.
    Erase your mind.

Do the Muscle Man dance!

Heroic Warrior
    They could have at a minimum held a few aside for those who ordered a subscription for the remainder of the year to be able to order one too. At least reward the people who showed faith in the line by ordering something major sight unseen.