Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated: Limited Edition MOTU ART BOOK at SDCC - Official Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by ash View Post
    They could have at a minimum held a few aside for those who ordered a subscription for the remainder of the year to be able to order one too. At least reward the people who showed faith in the line by ordering something major sight unseen.
    Hmm... They did say there would be a bonus for those that purchased the 2010 subscription. I hope it's the book!

In Stereo Where Available Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    If 1000 is all that can be made, then so be it, but I would REALLY like to know more about what "legal issues" it would present for Mattel if they made more.

I know that in the past when asked about certain things, Mattel (usually through ToyGuru) comes on here and says something like "It is our policy not to discuss legal matters."

Well, this time I think they need to break that rule and pony up with a real explanation.

I just find all of the "legal" issues that Mattel will apparently run into for marketing and selling their own product to be astounding. Back when Val and Emiliano were doing the 200X comic, they couldn't even use characters from the old toy line in the comic that hadn't appeared in the cartoon because of "legal issues". (They did use Scareglow at one point, but I believe that is what opened up that can of worms in the first place).

The only people who I can see going after Mattel for using and selling things they own the copyright to is themselves. And why would they sue themselves?

Do it right or not at all Reboot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by super-munkyboy View Post
    Its a double edged sword for Mattel.

Limited quantities of an art book, mentioning Filmation etc. Its generating buzz. Good and negative, its the kind of marketing they want. Toy sites are picking it up, fan sites, hell Facebook and Twitter.

I'm sure its all helping. If they produced mass market quantities of the book, this would be mentioned, but no where near the capacity now the news of its limited release has been mentioned.

However they also don't want to anger fans, so its difficult.

Not justifying what they' doing, but they KNOW what they're doing.
    Thing is though, it makes no sense to stoke up a level of demand you have no hope of satisfying. All that leads to is ******-off potential customers.

If you get the word out on it to, say, 10000 people who would be willing to pay $25; or even 3000 willing to pay $50 (the actual price), then all you've done is P.O.ed a load of people when you could be taking their money instead. Especially given the bizarre "for legal reasons we can only run 1000 copies".

I could see them "discovering" a way to run more copies - sans numbering - at a later date, but by then some of the people will have bought it on eBay (and so will be unhappy at paying more AND won't buy from you), and other people just won't be bothered any more (and so won't buy from you). Whereas if they announced a signed, stamped & numbered 1000-copy version for SDCC @ $50 AND a "plain" version with a different cover thereafter for $25... they'd probably still sell out of the SDCC version. And, again, not have stoked a demand they can't satisfy (which is bad business).

Evil master of... stuff. He-Lurker's Avatar
    Oh man, I sooooo hope I can get one in San Diego! I've been wanting this for a long time!

Yes, only 1000 copies means it will be exceedingly rare and hard to get, but I'd rather there be a book out that's hard to get versus no book at all!

I certainly hope I get one of these bad boys at SDCC. For the record, I've received requests already for picking up extra copies for fellow fans. Odds are, I'll only pick up two (at most) and that extra has been spoken for. If I can get any more than that, I will post in the Classics Trading Forum.

Hopefully I can help some others out! In the meantime, I am going to have a blast at Comic Con!
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Chris here...

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    Thing is though, it makes no sense to stoke up a level of demand you have no hope of satisfying. All that leads to is ******-off potential customers.

If you get the word out on it to, say, 10000 people who would be willing to pay $25; or even 3000 willing to pay $50 (the actual price), then all you've done is P.O.ed a load of people when you could be taking their money instead. Especially given the bizarre "for legal reasons we can only run 1000 copies".

I could see them "discovering" a way to run more copies - sans numbering - at a later date, but by then some of the people will have bought it on eBay (and so will be unhappy at paying more AND won't buy from you), and other people just won't be bothered any more (and so won't buy from you). Whereas if they announced a signed, stamped & numbered 1000-copy version for SDCC @ $50 AND a "plain" version with a different cover thereafter for $25... they'd probably still sell out of the SDCC version. And, again, not have stoked a demand they can't satisfy (which is bad business).
    I agree 100%!

Take care...
    Part of the "Kidult" craze long before it was a thing! : )

WOW. I am loving Hasbro more and more each day. I am going to be spending 50.00 more with them each month.
    Check out my customs at http://www.flickr.com/photos/motunercustoms/ and http://s691.photobucket.com/albums/v...otunercustoms/ I also create customs for other people. What can a make for you?

Don't forget not a lot of He-man fans are part of the Org. Some members on the Facebook fan page I run, weren't aware of it.

Dude, what's your Facebook page so I can add you? Thanks.

This is why i hate exclusives!
    Check out the Masters Of The Galaxy Podcast. And also check out Masters of the Galaxy Facebook page

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

I'd love to have this wonderful art book, but there is no way for me to get this exclusive, limited edition book.
    It is just too limited and it will cost too much to get it through eBay.
    I can only stay positive, thinking that I probably save some money by not buying it now.
    And I hope that one day they will have a good, hard cover edition with a more reasonable price available for all the fans.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Not justifying what they' doing, but they KNOW what they're doing.
    IMO, if there's anything Mattel has proven in the past decade, it is that they clearly do NOT know what they are doing, at any level. At all. Their SDCC exclusives have been a public relations disaster. Between this and Gleekgate, they've shown the very fans they are suposedly trying to woo that they still haven't got a clue.

Mattel is a mess. MOTU is their property, but I think they have made so many poorly considered decisions over the years that Eternia is in tatters. Selling the entertainment rights for some quick cash was ill-advised and shortsighted, but right now the ridiculous legal tangles we keep hearing about have convinced me there's three fellows in charge of the legal department by the names of Moe, Larry and Curly. Artwork Mattel apparently owns is causing them legal headaches. They had to start a page on facebook because, according to Mattel, there were legal issues preventing them from posting news about Mattel product on the website THEY OWN.

I say this brilliant move is another blunder; it was Mattel who has been talking for a while now about doing a coffee table type book, and only now do they apparently find out they can't, for some mysterious legal reason, produce that in any reasonable form (and, no, this is not a reasonable form).

SDCC exclusives that generate anger rather than excitement. Retail lines that no one can find on the shelves and a website that you need to spend 30-40 minutes on just to order one figure. Product that can't seem to get delivered because of multiple "vendor changes." And some folks wonder why Mattel has such a horrid reputation among the folks who should be its biggest fans.

Some of the folks who posted that it's more fun to collect any line that doesn't have the Mattel label on it have a point. Mattel makes the hobby a chore, and then wonders why their fans get upset and their lines die in the toy aisles.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Scott..my man! Excellant way to put it. You spoke exactly what I was thinking. A hobby is something that will relax you,not stress you out and Mattel doesn't seem to get that.

they also seem to forget that not all of us have an endless amount of cash to spend on all these exclusives or to pay for a figure and the way over-priced shipping rates (which is not their fault it is just what they are but still...) or the ability to just drop everything we are doing and run off to some convention to wait hours in line to pay $50 + for a 53 page glossy magazine with some pictures in (which is basically all it is if you are honest with yourself)

scott metzger:

I know it's just two posts up from this one, but I had to quote the whole thing because it bears repeating. Mattel defines screwing up IMO. I think they take anything that has a remote possibility of being successful and attempt to destroy it. When they do have something succeed, they seem to make every effort to alienate the very fans who buy their products. It's almost like they DON'T want to be successful, like they have bets out against themselves.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

scott metzger:

You saved me the time of having to type the EXACT same thing, couldn't agree more.

Besides MOTU I have a large art book collection. If there would be one thing I would love to get my hands on is one of these books, I will either have to pay the $100's it will go for on ebay, or PRAY they make an alternate version in the future.... which is slim or none.

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    I say this brilliant move is another blunder; it was Mattel who has been talking for a while now about doing a coffee table type book, and only now do they apparently find out they can't, for some mysterious legal reason, produce that in any reasonable form (and, no, this is not a reasonable form).
    This is what really confuses me. I'm sure the details will never be disclosed, but it perplexes me that 1,000 was the number that was allowed to be printed and no more. Is 2-3K not low enough to be considered limited?

Why can't they make 1,000 of them available to He-man.org or Matty Collector? I'm sure some fans will get them at SDCC, but so will the re-sellers who have no interest in MOTU, only to turn around and sell them for much more on eBay. SDCC is not the venue to get this book into most collectors' hands at a reasonable price. Thank you once again Mattel

WOW! And so it begins just went to evilbay and guess what I saw? A pre sale for the art book,it's around 100.99 now. Glad to see that only fans are going to SDCC to get the book (That's sarcasim by the way). Way to take care of the fans Mattel.

I am still pretty annoyed. For the first time I am sorry that I took the subscription for the upcoming fall. But, now I know I propably won't be getting it for the next year. I'll start buying my figures from secondary markets. I do not feel like wanting to directly support Mattel anymore.

Heidi
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Heroic Photog Supporter musclor's Avatar
    I haven't replied to any thread about this book yet, because I'm not sure how to accurately describe my disappointment in Mattel over this. I have wanted something like this forever and am now being told that they'll make it, but I can't have it. Even if I was able to get a copy for a vaguely decent price, I would be happy. But with only 1000 of these, there isn't a point in hoping.

I am considering foregoing the subscription for next year, as well. Mattel just keeps telling me that they don't want my money - maybe I'm finally starting to listen.
    Photog is here! thank you, Mattel!

Now how about some mini-comics love (like Lodar, Geldor, Dakon......)? And Mermista?

Quote Originally Posted by kai View Post
    For the first time I am sorry that I took the subscription for the upcoming fall. But, now I know I propably won't be getting it for the next year. I'll start buying my figures from secondary markets. I do not feel like wanting to directly support Mattel anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by musclor View Post
    I am considering foregoing the subscription for next year, as well. Mattel just keeps telling me that they don't want my money - maybe I'm finally starting to listen.

Well, that's a bit harsh, don't you think?

Mattel is still going to give us plenty of amazing figures (which is what motu is all about afterall), and I think it's silly we keep whining and menacing boycotting the line (which I'm sure nobody will eventually do) every time there's a minimal something that's not 100% like we would have liked.

If I was Mattel, I would be really ****** by these kind of comments..I think they make us look like nothing more than spoiled and ungrateful crybabies..

I really wanted this motu artbook too, by the way..

Wow! I've only scanned this page and the disappointment and frustration (some would say downright anger) is immense. Mattel better listen or this line will die as well. It's a mess, a total and complete mess. Like has been said many many times over, I think it is absolutely absurd that a toy company lacks legal right to their own property. Mattel probably views the classics line as the ultimate He-Man line but it's not and never will be unless these the legal limitations are dealt with, it just can't be the ultimate when we can't get what we want because of legalities. The book is frustrating, this thing seems to be garnering more attention than He-Ro and guess what, most people wont see it. Why? Ask Mattel.

I know Val might show up and tell us that complaining on these boards will not solve anything. But what will? A boycott perhaps? All this frustration and I'm GOING to Comic Con.

Why the anger? Why the frustration? Because we love this line Mattel, we want to see it thrive and survive for many many years and we feel that your handling and "limitations" have hampered and perhaps crippled the probability of long tern success. I did say in another thread that collecting is not always easy, that there exists a certain amount of competitiveness to collecting and I still believe this to be the case but legal limitation after limitation begins to wear on the loyalty of the fanbase not just or necessarily for this book but at every turn where legalities play an issue.

It's too much to hope that you'll buy your rights back. You wont, so why entertain the thought, it's a pipe dream. What's unfortunate is that within your current limitations your best might not be good enough.
    Wanted: Episode 40 Comic.

Quote Originally Posted by tumalu View Post
    Well, that's a bit harsh, don't you think?

Mattel is still going to give us plenty of amazing figures (which is what motu is all about afterall), and I think it's silly we keep whining and menacing boycotting the line (which I'm sure nobody will eventually do) every time there's a minimal something that's not 100% like we would have liked.

If I was Mattel, I would be really ****** by these kind of comments..I think they make us look like nothing more than spoiled and ungrateful crybabies..

I really wanted this motu artbook too, by the way..

I erased my text that was full of anger and try it in another way, cos I agree with you.

I think should stop complaining. Not getting the art book is really not the end of the world. Also if all of us would have liked to have it.

To tell Mattel again and again that this decision is wrong does not bring anyone further.

It annoys them, it annoys us, and that is not worth it.

We should be happy that Mattel is trying it again with MOTUC after they messed up so many things in the past...to try to make the brand MOTU bigger and better than it ever has been.

We should be thankful that Mattel gives the FH free rein. They are doing an amazing job. Never have seen better sculpting than the FH's.

We should be happy that the Masters of the Universe rise again...but the steps Mattel takes on the brand are just too slow IMO...they should come to faster decisions and post them all the time and should listen to the fanbase more seriously!

MOTU is one of the best toylines ever and they seem to put too less effort into it....how long do you plan to test ground Mattel?

Just do it right from the beginning. You should have learned enough from the mistaks in the past. You did it quite well (besides KG, the Mer-Man desaster etc.)...but all in all quite well!

The book thing is not a smart move from the fans's point of view, maybe from your one, but you see how much trouble that causes.

You want to earn money and we want the figures...listen and repeat!

I am also disappointed that I probably can not get the book, cos Germany is not really next corner to San Diego.

Sometimes I feel Mattel acts before thinking about it!
    Last edited by Xetheus; July 12, 2009 at 05:59am.

That PlanetEternia.de guy Sir Reilly's Avatar
    I agree wholeheartely with everything Scott Metzger said.

Mattel can only offer a 1,000 of this book? Fine. Then why don't they just offer all 1,000 items on mattycollector.com, limited to one book per order? Then everybody at least would have had the CHANCE to get it instead of being EXCLUDED right from the start!
    Instead, it's a SDCC Exclusive and someone with just enough time or enough friends can get as many books as he wants and sell them with a profit on eBay! And then, they're proud about this awesome fan-service, patting their own backs and expect us to be oh-so happy and thankful about it!?
    Right now, I wouldn't be surprised if all of a sudden, only 500 books were available at all because they've donated half of the books to the US army after some soldier's written them a sad letter.
    But I bet they keep talking away the negativity here as being "just some lowlives being envious and complaining as usual".
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    IMO, if there's anything Mattel has proven in the past decade, it is that they clearly do NOT know what they are doing, at any level. At all. Their SDCC exclusives have been a public relations disaster. Between this and Gleekgate, they've shown the very fans they are suposedly trying to woo that they still haven't got a clue.

Mattel is a mess. MOTU is their property, but I think they have made so many poorly considered decisions over the years that Eternia is in tatters. Selling the entertainment rights for some quick cash was ill-advised and shortsighted, but right now the ridiculous legal tangles we keep hearing about have convinced me there's three fellows in charge of the legal department by the names of Moe, Larry and Curly. Artwork Mattel apparently owns is causing them legal headaches. They had to start a page on facebook because, according to Mattel, there were legal issues preventing them from posting news about Mattel product on the website THEY OWN.

SDCC exclusives that generate anger rather than excitement. Retail lines that no one can find on the shelves and a website that you need to spend 30-40 minutes on just to order one figure. Product that can't seem to get delivered because of multiple "vendor changes." And some folks wonder why Mattel has such a horrid reputation among the folks who should be its biggest fans.

Some of the folks who posted that it's more fun to collect any line that doesn't have the Mattel label on it have a point. Mattel makes the hobby a chore, and then wonders why their fans get upset and their lines die in the toy aisles.
    You've said it all perfectly right here. No truer post has ever been posted here.

well I just will not buy the 2010 subscription, so they cannot ******* me up anymore.

I want to stop to spend my money on MOTU when I want.

I want to spend as less as possible on it, cos Mattel is not worth MOTU.