Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated: Limited Edition MOTU ART BOOK at SDCC - Official Discussion

It sucks that we can't get the book if we want it, but Mattel is still giving us a product that we want. I'm disappointed that I can't get the book for it's original price and I figure that I'll probably never get it, but I'm still looking forward to what they put out. I just hope they look at stuff like this, and card qualities, the availability for all, and just an ease of collecting and try their best to do what's right by the fans. However, I don't believe we should boycott. They'll hear about people's anger and we can only hope that they learn from this. It may sound too optimistic, but why not support the lines that you love even when it's not easy.

1000 copies only?!?!? You've got to be **** kidding me
    Should have been 10.000 copies at the very minimum which still would be a low amount!!!
    This is one of those items which is in HUGE demand!!!
    With only a 1000 copies, all regular and foreign fans are basically left out.
    I guess something like this starts at $500 on ebay...
    To release something so incredibly cool like this, and yet to limit it to only a 1000 copies is VERY sadistic of Mattel.
    We should all make a poll and demand a reprint of this book!!!

Boy, I go on vacation for a week and all hell breaks loose!
    Creator of the New Adventures Watching Club, come join us! Click here!

"The meat was gamey, the potatoes were lumpy, and this coffee tastes like it was strained through someones urethra." - Dean Stephan

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    Right now, I wouldn't be surprised if all of a sudden, only 500 books were available at all because they've donated half of the books to the US army after some soldier's written them a sad letter.
    But I bet they keep talking away the negativity here as being "just some lowlives being envious and complaining as usual".
    I'm starting on my letter right now.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Turbo Orangutan Kosmic JimPansen's Avatar
    All the books should burn, burn!!! No, no Lol......................but yes!

Quote Originally Posted by tumalu View Post
    Well, that's a bit harsh, don't you think?

Mattel is still going to give us plenty of amazing figures (which is what motu is all about afterall), and I think it's silly we keep whining and menacing boycotting the line (which I'm sure nobody will eventually do) every time there's a minimal something that's not 100% like we would have liked.

If I was Mattel, I would be really ****** by these kind of comments..I think they make us look like nothing more than spoiled and ungrateful crybabies..

I really wanted this motu artbook too, by the way..
    I agree! You put it just right. On the whole "book" thing. If you want it and you cant get it at the show, then it looks like you will have to go to ebay. If you are willing to pay more than the $50 price that mattel has placed on this book then why would it be a problem? Every thing is worth what someone will pay for it. The price tag they set on it means nothing. If everyone is upset that they cant get it for the $50 then you should have purchased a ticket to the show and a plane ticket and went! But then everyone says I cant afford that and they didn't tell us about a BOOK! (Please don't say you would have went if you knew there was going to be a book!) Well looks to me like its not the person's fault who can go and buy the book and then resell it.

If the book is priceless to you then you will spend what you can to get it. If you do not have the funds then cut something out that you do not need or can do without for awhile. I have worked "1" 40hr work week this year! I built a new home last year before the so called recession happened. It has hurt the industry I work in DEEPLY! I have made tons of changes in my budget to make it through! I still manage to get each figure and more and I will have the book also.

IMO, the complaining needs to be toned down a bit. I understand there will be some frustration and that's fine to comment about, but to say your not buying nothing from Mattel anymore or not buying MOTU Classics figures and to say that Mattel is.. whatever you want to call them is really making no sense. You know you will keep collecting so why post that type of drama?

I say all this in a nice way and in no way want to offend anyone. I say "you" meaning anyone in general and NO ONE specific!
    @thunderpunchheman :Instagram
    @thunderpunchU : Twitter

So collecting Masters of the Universe is only for the rich?
    The limitation is just unfair, thatīs it.

Can't say I disagree with all the frustration and complaints of things fans have dealt with over the past year.
    The grumpy old dragon always has some good points to make.

But as far as this book goes, I think there's a universal knee-jerk reaction taking place at the moment.
    It may very well be justified, but I think it's hard to really judge at the moment.

For all we know, this could be Mattel testing the water on interest in such a product.
    Let's be frank. We've seen multiple contradictions in Q&As, so we can't exactly hold any statements from Mattel as absolute truths.
    Therefore, we don't know if this will ever be reprinted.

If the book sells out at a convention, that may speak good things for MOTU book publishing in general.
    Then maybe whatever these legal hurdles are will be jumped.
    The bottom line speaks loudest, after all.

But all of that aside, I don't think the 1000 limit on this art book is that extreme for the first-time introduction by Mattel of a MOTU art book.
    My reasons are this.
    1. 53.00 is a steep price tag.
    2. This is a niche item. Mostly hardcore MOTU fans will be interested.
    3. I don't think interest here is as high as we think (and Mattel has no way of knowing either). Look at the request thread in the MOTUC marketplace. We're only at 40+ requests at the moment; a far cry from the 1000 being sold. Not representative of fans everywhere, I know, but still something to look at. (but maybe that'll change when people who post in this thread are aware of that thread)

I'm expecting to see a chunk of them for sale on Matty Collector after the con.
    Of course, I could definitely be wrong!
    I make no claims of perfection with my predictions.

Regardless, even if it sells out, I'm in "wait and see" mode.
    When Mattel comes and tells us it won't be reprinted, then I'll be ready to join you guys with the torches and pitchforks if the book sells out at SDCC.

I know I'm being pretty casual about it.
    But ever since I threw in the towel on collecting the MOTUC line when Skeletor sold out, I don't feel any since of urgency about purchasing any new MOTU products from Mattel. I'd LOVE to have this book, but there's already an embedded sense of hopelessness in acquiring it so I just don't stress over it.
    I dread this feeling being shared by more fans as frustrations mount. But if sales of the MOTUC toys are any measure, that doesn't seem to be any immediate concern.

Once you're burned out, you just coast along with a relative sense of indifference. I check things out and post infrequently these days.
    For me, all of this is more like watching a show. I periodically turn on the TV to see if anything new has transpired in the Mattel MOTU episodes.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2021!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by JimPansen View Post
    Collecting is what it is. It's not called priority, its called collecting! It takes money to make it so it takes money to buy it. Call it rich or whatever you want. regardless of the limit if you don't have the (rich, extra) money then you cant get it.

IMO SOME part of collecting means that you know you have to buy stuff to collect it! Im sure most knew there was going to be a SDCC this year ( always is) and there was a chance there maybe something you want. A year to save extra cash should be long enough since prices run from $25 to $150 on exclusives on ebay! Maybe $200?

All the books should burn, burn!!! No, no Lol......................but yes!
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    When Mattel comes and tells us it won't be reprinted, then I'll be ready to join you guys with the torches and pitchforks if the book sells out at SDCC.

She-Ra Princess of Power "Book Burning Part 2".

Bring all 1000 copies to the town square by the end of the day, or face the consequences.

That's not the way to put it, I guess.
    It's just we cannot have always everything the way we want; and this works for life as well..

We have been having a lot already, things are improving both with the avalability of the figures (higher production), theirs sculpts (new tooled figures) and with the ordering process (subscriptions).

It seems to me that mattel has been well listening to us with MOTUC, and it won't be just a wrong move to have me turn my back on the line.
    It would be stupid for me as a MOTU fan first, and then disrespectful for all the improvements we have been granted.

I would have loved to get a copy of the book (which I won't be getting as I live in Italy and I'm not rich to afford crazy prices), but yet I can live without it.
    And it's not like not getting the book will make my MOTUC collection less complete..it's not like they made a limited 1000 King Hiss avaible at the show only..

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post

She-Ra Princess of Power "Book Burning Part 2".

Bring all 1000 copies to the town square by the end of the day, or face the consequences.
    You have some funny post, love it!

yep this would be a awesome book to get ahold of!

What a bunch of B.S. The worlds largest Toy company can't ink a publishing deal unless it's only 1000 copies. Do u really expect us to believe that? Everything about this line is like walking a tight rope. We're probably some of the most loyal fans of a toy line and it seems that we get shafted at every turn.
    bnl4life

Because we love MotU so much, evil Mattel can treat us like they want and we will nevertheless beg them to take our money!

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    IMO, if there's anything Mattel has proven in the past decade, it is that they clearly do NOT know what they are doing, at any level. At all. Their SDCC exclusives have been a public relations disaster. Between this and Gleekgate, they've shown the very fans they are suposedly trying to woo that they still haven't got a clue.

Mattel is a mess. MOTU is their property, but I think they have made so many poorly considered decisions over the years that Eternia is in tatters. Selling the entertainment rights for some quick cash was ill-advised and shortsighted, but right now the ridiculous legal tangles we keep hearing about have convinced me there's three fellows in charge of the legal department by the names of Moe, Larry and Curly. Artwork Mattel apparently owns is causing them legal headaches. They had to start a page on facebook because, according to Mattel, there were legal issues preventing them from posting news about Mattel product on the website THEY OWN.

I say this brilliant move is another blunder; it was Mattel who has been talking for a while now about doing a coffee table type book, and only now do they apparently find out they can't, for some mysterious legal reason, produce that in any reasonable form (and, no, this is not a reasonable form).

SDCC exclusives that generate anger rather than excitement. Retail lines that no one can find on the shelves and a website that you need to spend 30-40 minutes on just to order one figure. Product that can't seem to get delivered because of multiple "vendor changes." And some folks wonder why Mattel has such a horrid reputation among the folks who should be its biggest fans.

Some of the folks who posted that it's more fun to collect any line that doesn't have the Mattel label on it have a point. Mattel makes the hobby a chore, and then wonders why their fans get upset and their lines die in the toy aisles.
    100% agree.

Sean79

won't we be a little bit happier when someone gets this and puts it online so we can all look at it. i mean you know thats going to happen, not to get all sappy, but if theres one thing we can count on its each other.

Don't forget, Man-At-Arms is on sale this week

I thought I would just remind everyone that there are still MOTU items that are available to buy in good numbers

Quote Originally Posted by He Man View Post
    You have some funny post, love it!
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisto69 View Post
    won't we be a little bit happier when someone gets this and puts it online so we can all look at it. i mean you know thats going to happen, not to get all sappy, but if theres one thing we can count on its each other.
    Yep.

And perhaps one can be donated to the .org, so we can take turns checking out the physical copy like at the library.

Classic & 200X fan
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    IMO, if there's anything Mattel has proven in the past decade, it is that they clearly do NOT know what they are doing, at any level. At all. Their SDCC exclusives have been a public relations disaster. Between this and Gleekgate, they've shown the very fans they are suposedly trying to woo that they still haven't got a clue.

Mattel is a mess. MOTU is their property, but I think they have made so many poorly considered decisions over the years that Eternia is in tatters. Selling the entertainment rights for some quick cash was ill-advised and shortsighted, but right now the ridiculous legal tangles we keep hearing about have convinced me there's three fellows in charge of the legal department by the names of Moe, Larry and Curly. Artwork Mattel apparently owns is causing them legal headaches. They had to start a page on facebook because, according to Mattel, there were legal issues preventing them from posting news about Mattel product on the website THEY OWN.

I say this brilliant move is another blunder; it was Mattel who has been talking for a while now about doing a coffee table type book, and only now do they apparently find out they can't, for some mysterious legal reason, produce that in any reasonable form (and, no, this is not a reasonable form).

SDCC exclusives that generate anger rather than excitement. Retail lines that no one can find on the shelves and a website that you need to spend 30-40 minutes on just to order one figure. Product that can't seem to get delivered because of multiple "vendor changes." And some folks wonder why Mattel has such a horrid reputation among the folks who should be its biggest fans.

Some of the folks who posted that it's more fun to collect any line that doesn't have the Mattel label on it have a point. Mattel makes the hobby a chore, and then wonders why their fans get upset and their lines die in the toy aisles.
    I don't think anyone could have worded that any better.
    big geek

I'm new to this whole thing but I don't think exclusives are new to comic cons. Companies offer unique items or special guest speakers to get people to come to the comic cons.
    I think banning motu is extreme. I mean they are making great strides in getting us what we really want, action figures. The subscription thing was huge in regards to this. I honestly believe Mattel had no idea how successful MOTUC was going to be and because of that we as fans have had a rough year.

I do feel sad for all those who want one of these books and won't be able to get one.

I am sure Mattel is not worried about He-Fans around the world !
    MOTU is not a local property. Itīs not anymore an american toyline or TV show...
    MOTU belongs to the world now ! Since 80's there are no frontiers for itīs success.

So when Mattel decides to release a limited item only in a specific show, I am sure all foreign collectors will be left out ! Even american fans who lives far will not have a chance to purchase one.

I can not discuss the booksīs price because I didnīt see this book yet. But is it worths more than 2 regular figures ?

Itīs been so hard to collect them all !

Evil Master of Arcades Gamutstreet's Avatar
    They would have to kick me in the crotch a lot harder than this book to make me stop buying the figures. I lived through the Spin Blade era.
    Always remember the dark days of 2004 with no new MOTU in sight...

On a side note, I wonder if Mattel trademarking the unproduced 'Wrap Trap' playset has anything to do with this book?

Anyhow, I'm soooo eager to see this already! (and read Mattel's behind-the-scenes notes on all this stuff)

With price tag of $50, I couldn't have bought this book at this point in time (too much other things to put my money on), even if it would be more widely available.

I can understand why some people feel so strong about this thing and they have every right to.

As I said before, I'm in MOTU mostly because of MOTUC figures (at least for now), so that is what I will continue to do.

- Joni -