Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated: Limited Edition MOTU ART BOOK at SDCC - Official Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I know I'm being pretty casual about it.
    But ever since I threw in the towel on collecting the MOTUC line when Skeletor sold out, I don't feel any since of urgency about purchasing any new MOTU products from Mattel. I'd LOVE to have this book, but there's already an embedded sense of hopelessness in acquiring it so I just don't stress over it.
    I dread this feeling being shared by more fans as frustrations mount. But if sales of the MOTUC toys are any measure, that doesn't seem to be any immediate concern.

Once you're burned out, you just coast along with a relative sense of indifference. I check things out and post infrequently these days.
    For me, all of this is more like watching a show. I periodically turn on the TV to see if anything new has transpired in the Mattel MOTU episodes.
    Do you always have to be the voice of reason when emotions get the better of us fans?

This really has to prove to Mattel that they might be doing some things wrong when one of the guys who put his heart & soul into this site without any pay is not only unable to get a Skeletor(I actually thought Mattel would be sending you complimentary toys due to all the great promotion you do for them with this site), but has sort of been "burned out" on the line. As frustrated as I am with some of Mattel's decisions, compared to some of their past mistakes and Hasbro's current ones(imho), things could be a lot worse. If we get a He-Man movie where Orko is humping Teela's leg or Marlon Wayans plays Ram Man, I'll probably have to throw in the towel. Until then, I hope this minor MOTU renaissance lasts long and goes more mainstream thus making limited edition books a rarity if not non-existent.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    But as far as this book goes, I think there's a universal knee-jerk reaction taking place at the moment.
    It may very well be justified, but I think it's hard to really judge at the moment.
    I agree with you.
    My "frustration" even if you want to call it that, is being reserved for only IF they DON'T make efforts to either

1) make a 2nd printing

or

2) make a Vol 2 that's hardcover, more pages, etc.

And if it can't be done, it can't be done, but the recent statements about the book are once again smacking of the "You'll take it and like it!" attitude that laces a lot of the comments out of Mattel.

Mattel would've gotten a LOT of mileage out something more disarming like "We are so sorry we couldn't make more of these, and we are trying are dangdest to find a way to get these into more fans' hands, or better still something even more awesome! Don't give up hope just yet, and for the few fans who DO get one of these we really hope you like it."

I don't see how that would be "unprofessional" or whatever they'd worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by tumalu View Post
    Well, that's a bit harsh, don't you think?

Mattel is still going to give us plenty of amazing figures (which is what motu is all about afterall), and I think it's silly we keep whining and menacing boycotting the line (which I'm sure nobody will eventually do) every time there's a minimal something that's not 100% like we would have liked.

If I was Mattel, I would be really ****** by these kind of comments..I think they make us look like nothing more than spoiled and ungrateful crybabies..

I really wanted this motu artbook too, by the way..
    Thanks for the best laughs I've had in a long time.

I am not going to kneel down, cross my hands and say "thank you kind sir Mattel for giving us these magnificient toys. Oh I am unworthy of such honor as is spending my money on your products."

Honestly I'd be pleased if Mattel was ****** at my comment. Collecting toys is a hobby for me and it is where I spend my extra cash. I personally can think of hundreds of other things to spend that money on, AND I want to spend that money on something that makes me feel good.

Right now, Mattel only gives me crappy feelings and I honestly don't feel like spending my little extra income on their products. So, at the moment I think that I'll take a break from collecting MOTUC after the 2009 subscription is over.

Though, I'm sure I will buy any POP-characters they produce (+ Extendar and the comet warriors).

Heidi

EDIT: I read the rest of the thread and I must say I share the same feelings JVS3 does. And he has a much better way with words than I do. I still have hard time looking at my 200X toys, because all the negative feelings that I have attached to them. I do not want to repeat the same mistake with MOTUC. Collecting should be fun. When it isn't fun, it is better to stop and start again when it feels fun again. Otherwise the toys just leave a sour taste in mouth.
    Last edited by Heidi; July 12, 2009 at 02:46pm.
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

If there is a lot of content, I dont see why they dont do a hardback edition. I would pay extra to see a nice hard back version of the the Art of MOTU and Im sure others too. Heck, they could even sell premium editions signed by the original artists/creators!

I am sure the one POP character Mattel have planned for 2010 will sell out at the speed of light. The sad thing is that I can't justify signing up for 10 B list MOTU figures (not counting any females figures) when I know there is only going to be one figure that I really want. I will just take my chances on mattycollector or ebay for this POP figure. This is the time of year when MOTU fans are always brimming with excitement, but this art book has left a seriously bad taste in my mouth towards Mattel.

As an international fan it is costing me a lot to support MOTUC, buying 2 -3 figures a month with crazy shipping and custom charges. Like many other fans have said there are so many more important things my MOTUC money could be spent on. I hope Mattel have some seriously cool figures to show off at SDCC (with a POP character in there). If not this could be the beginning of the end for me. Supporting MOTU is a pricy hobby at best, without dealing with the school yard politics Mattel employes when communicating with the fan base.

Point blank refusing to take influance from the Mattel POP style guide for She-Ra, Adora & Catra was strike one for me. This art book mess is strike two, one more strike and I am out aswell.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    I am sure the one POP character Mattel have planned for 2010 will sell out at the speed of light. The sad thing is that I can't justify signing up for 10 B list MOTU figures (not counting any females figures) when I know there is only going to be one figure that I really want. I will just take my chances on mattycollector or ebay for this POP figure.
    When we get to the POP characters, I'll be able to help out a couple people in the event that they miss out. POP (and probably NA) figures are an automatic 10 sales from me.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Heroic Warrior
    You know, if only 1000 copies were made, they should have at least sell them on mattycollector. At least there's some sort off fighting chance of a lot of us obtaining this book. But who knows? Maybe for those buying the 2010 subscription plan might receive the 2nd printing with added material? Heck, maybe instead of a book, we'll get a DVD-ROM with all the artwork included along with every single MOTU/POP/NA/200X toy commercial included on that disc. Hey, you never know...
    Last edited by grenadaspice; July 12, 2009 at 03:13pm.

Quote Originally Posted by kai View Post
    I am not going to kneel down, cross my hands and say "thank you kind sir Mattel for giving us these magnificient toys. Oh I am unworthy of such honor as is spending my money on your products."

Honestly I'd be pleased if Mattel was ****** at my comment. Collecting toys is a hobby for me and it is where I spend my extra cash. I personally can think of hundreds of other things to spend that money on, AND I want to spend that money on something that makes me feel good.

Right now, Mattel only gives me crappy feelings and I honestly don't feel like spending my little extra income on their products. So, at the moment I think that I'll take a break from collecting MOTUC after the 2009 subscription is over.

EDIT: I read the rest of the thread and I must say I share the same feelings JVS3 does. And he has a much better way with words than I do. I still have hard time looking at my 200X toys, because all the negative feelings that I have attached to them. I do not want to repeat the same mistake with MOTUC. Collecting should be fun. When it isn't fun, it is better to stop and start again when it feels fun again. Otherwise the toys just leave a sour taste in mouth.
    I agree with these words whole heartedly. This is supposed to be a fun hobby. We spend our money on these products & it helps to make us happy.

I always try to be a cool cat & keep my own complaining down. I don't care to ever start arguments or partake in them. Right now I'm gonna say, I'm so sick & tired of hearing people say to me or others that the company we buy from will look at us as cry babies. I'm so sick & tired of others expecting us, the fans to kiss these companies behinds because they're putting out some form of product that we're supposed to like. I look at movies based on comics or toys & they're almost always nothing like the source material. Then I hear this, "They aren't making the movies for the fans, because they know the fans will go see it. They're making the movies to get others into the product." The FANS are the ones who made it popular. If the non-fans don't know about the product, why change it to something that's so different FROM the product? The worst thing is, the source product usually ends up changing from what it originally was, to reflect the movies.

OR.....

"This line is for the fans." Too bad there are so many people, a.k.a: FANS who can't even GET the product!

WE are the ones paying their bills. WE are the ones keeping them in business. We shouldn't be kissing their butts & grateful that these companies will throw some a bone & others are left hanging. We shouldn't be grateful if we're getting sub-par quality or designs. Put it out in good quality from the start. Make sure the FANS can get what they want. If that can't be achieved, wait until it can.

I also want to make it clear that I'm not just talking about Mattel. My hearts been broken by Hasbro. MOTU was the 1st toyline I ever collected back in the day. I love these MOTUCs & hope things get better for all of us fans. When it comes to my action figures & comics, Mattel's MOTUC is all I've got left.

When I worked at a machine shop, we would have to make sure that EVERY part that went out was perfect. If each & every part wasn't perfect, & there where hundreds of thousands of parts here, they wouldn't fit to what they were made for & the CUSTOMER wouldn't want it.
    Last edited by Power Sword; July 12, 2009 at 04:09pm.

I personally can think of hundreds of other things to spend that money on, AND I want to spend that money on something that makes me feel good.
    It's your right to spend your money on whatever makes you feel good..but that's the point of view of a casual collector rather than a MOTU collector..

As a hardcore MOTU collector, who has been constantly hoping for reissues of these favourite characters of his, I would never pass over the chance of getting them just because I feel ****** I couldn't have this book..

This is just my two cents though, I'm glad you find it funny

Quote Originally Posted by tumalu View Post
    It's your right to spend your money on whatever makes you feel good..but that's the point of view of a casual collector rather than a MOTU collector..
    Right...

Ok, I admit, I am just not twue enough to be classified as a MOTU collector.

Heidi
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Thanks for the best laughs I've had in a long time.
    Tumalu makes a valid point. IMO, a lot of these comments make us look like nothing more than spoiled and ungrateful crybabies. He’s not saying that you have accept it, but the “expressing ones opinion” gets old quick.

Coming to the forums is no longer fun. Seems like almost every thread with a new anoucements is full of negative comments. What about the positive things Mattel are doing and have done?

Yes, it sucks that something so many of us fans have been wanting for so many years is limited. Remember, it’s an exclusive! Let’s see what happens after SDCC. So far Mattel has been listening to us.

If you choose not to purchase these figures - your loss. It’s one or two more figures available for more appreciative fans.

That PlanetEternia.de guy Sir Reilly's Avatar
    I have to deal with "spoiled and ungratefull crybabies" every day. We call them "customers", and it's our job to make them happy. And while some sure are acting spoiled, ungratefull or like crybabies, most of them complain for a reason and have valid points.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Quote Originally Posted by Hek-tor View Post
    If you choose not to purchase these figures - your loss. Itís one or two more figures available for more appreciative fans.
    Wonderfully said

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    I have to deal with "spoiled and ungratefull crybabies" every day. We call them "customers".
    I forget sometimes. Thanks for shutting me up.

...but we still look like spoiled and ungratefull crybabies.
    Last edited by Hek-tor; July 12, 2009 at 04:37pm.

Well I want this book. But after some time and reading it seems clear. if I can get it cool. If it is 9th or 80th print cool. If not...I won't stop breathing. And it saves me money on the Tri Klops and more to come
    Find what you seek only when you look in the right places...

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    I have to deal with "spoiled and ungratefull crybabies" every day. We call them "customers", and it's our job to make them happy. And while some sure are acting spoiled, ungratefull or like crybabies, most of them complain for a reason and have valid points.
    Mod-Bot says this statement computes.

While some comments are too negative, amongst the comments a general expression of the overall problem is found.

Quote Originally Posted by Hek-tor View Post
    If you choose not to purchase these figures - your loss. It’s one or two more figures available for more appreciative fans.
    Mod-Bot says this statement does not compute.

This level of unhappiness expressed in this thread would not exist if there was not an issue at hand that required discussion, and possibly Mattel's attention.
    Negative sentiments in this thread are to be found on a number of other forums where the MOTUC art book is being discussed.

For those who think fans are being too negative,
    remember that it is okay to disagree with other fans and offer counter points of discussion.
    But the "too bad for you" mentality is disrespectful to your fellow fans.
    Everyone, please do not take this approach on these forums.

For fans who are unhappy and expressing negative comments,
    please keep your comments constructive and civil.
    One should avoid vulgarity, hostility and insults.

Thank you!

Heroic Warrior
    omg 50$ and only 1000 copies?

wow.

mattel is going to make a mint...

I bet u these books (some) end up going for $500.00

I would happily pay 100$ for it but i might have to 'up the anty' if the competition gets fierce........ :P

Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Bot View Post

While some comments are too negative, amongst the comments a general expression of the overall problem is found.

This level of unhappiness expressed in this thread would not exist if there was not an issue at hand that required discussion, and possibly Mattel's attention.
    Negative sentiments in this thread are to be found on a number of other forums where the MOTUC art book is being discussed.

remember that it is okay to disagree with other fans and offer counter points of discussion.

Thank you!

there is other he-man forums?

Srsly?

i thought this was the only one?????

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallen View Post
    Don't forget, Man-At-Arms is on sale this week

I thought I would just remind everyone that there are still MOTU items that are available to buy in good numbers

lol... almost forgot as i feverishly dragged my knuckles in anger across the KB venting my opinion
    Last edited by Amberbratt; July 12, 2009 at 04:42pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Hey Everyone,

I have not weighed in until now. I would be incredibly dishonest if I said I was not disappointed by the news regarding this book. I have wanted a book like this for years and still have not given up hope. But, even if I do manage to get one either by some kind person here or through ebay or something. I do have to ask what about all of the other fans who want one who miss out? I also have to say, that I am disappointed that Val missed out on Skeletor. It is tragic when true "MotU"fans, without whom "MotU" would have died many years ago are missing out on stuff.

Take Care,
    Darren
    Please, give the Toy Power Podcast a chance: Here we speak with Brian Flynn, owner of Super7 https://omny.fm/shows/toy-power/113-...-power!podcast.

Thank you!
    So says the mod bot, so shall it be done.....
    MOTUC is my thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Amberbratt View Post
    there is other he-man forums?
    Srsly?
    i thought this was the only one?????
    Other TOY forums
    And you should see the comments on Facebook... Most of the would qualify for immediate ban here

This may come across as argumentative, but it's not the intended tone...

I think it wouldn't be a message board (or a very good one) if we didn't have these varying opinions being tossed-out on Mattel, the toy line, exclusive products etc. When it comes to our approach to these issues, it's impossible for all of us to be on the same page. Also, you have to remember that everyone wants to have a chance to have their say, and that some folks are coming into these threads at different points than you and with different experiences. What looks like unconstructive gibberish to one person makes total sense to another. Threads with an overall angry/venting tone have evoked change out of Mattel just as much, if not more, than the ones that don't. So it makes sense for some to see the vents as being constructive as well. And while it's true that some folks never seem to be satisfied with anything or offer any positivity, I'd say that the majority of us are pretty balanced.

It's just that right now I'm really not in the mood to drink a cup of happiness.

"My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Dang...busted...

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    This may come across as argumentative, but it's not the intended tone...

I think it wouldn't be a message board (or a very good one) if we didn't have these varying opinions being tossed-out on Mattel, the toy line, exclusive products etc. When it comes to our approach to these issues, it's impossible for all of us to be on the same page. Also, you have to remember that everyone wants to have a chance to have their say, and that some folks are coming into these threads at different points than you and with different experiences. What looks like unconstructive gibberish to one person makes total sense to another. Threads with an overall angry/venting tone have evoked change out of Mattel just as much, if not more, than the ones that don't. So it makes sense for some to see the vents as being constructive as well. And while it's true that some folks never seem to be satisfied with anything or offer any positivity, I'd say that the majority of us are pretty balanced.

It's just that right now I'm really not in the mood to drink a cup of happiness.

You make some good points. I'm not saying we should all be smiles and not disagree or vent our frustration. It seems that we are so quickly to get upset and start bad-mouthing Mattel for every little thing when we don't know the full story. Let's wait and see what happens after SDCC.

If Mattel comes to us and says; "That's all you're getting! HAHAHA!" I'll be making a few negative comments of my own.
    Last edited by Hek-tor; July 12, 2009 at 06:15pm.

yea the book would be cool to have, but at 50 bucks for a soft cover book, they can keep it. Limited edition things do suck, but at least it's not nearly as bad as the Gleek thing. If this was an action figure I could understand the outrage. If this book sells thru, Mattel will def. sell another item similar. Face facts. If it sells thru that's $50,000! If it does Mattel would be idiotic not to continue creating printed product. This could work out in everyone's favor. I hope it does sell out, and fast! Will I get one, nope. Wish I could. But I also wish I lived in a real castle... life does go on after all.
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

Classic & 200X fan
    at least it's not nearly as bad as the Gleek thing. If this was an action figure I could understand the outrage.
    To ALOT of us(me included) this art book is more important then a toy. It was the box art that really captured my imagination in the 80's, and what drew me to the figures, then ultimately the cartoon in the first place.

He-Ro is exciting, but this art book SHOULD be even more exciting to a fan like myself, but instead I'm feeling anger, and total disappointment.
    big geek

I totally agree, the old artwork was / is the coolest. I understand the disappointment, I feel it too, hopefully the "rest" of us will be able to get one. I felt so angry when Keldor was a limited thing... that was the worst. Thanks to Val that he hooked me up, along with many others back in the day... truly a shame that Mattel is still not working with the ORG. That's a bad move.
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!