Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated: Limited Edition MOTU ART BOOK at SDCC - Official Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    Other TOY forums
    And you should see the comments on Facebook... Most of the would qualify for immediate ban here
    True that, it's getting vicious over there! To be honest, after a couple days of digesting this I don't feel as angry, just kind of perplexed. Maybe if Mattel had decided to just to had it out to the first thousand guests gratis I would be fine. Convention freebes have existed since forever, and some of them have been damn cool. But to dangle this book, telling us how great it is, and for months previous hinting at it...just to sell it at a rather large price in a pathetically small print run, well...
    Oh, well life goes on. Last I have to say.
    Valohir

Why is it so damn hard to be a MOTU collecter these days?

Most of us won't ever be able to see what's in the book, so why bother telling us or even making it?

I was excited to read that it was available and now I hate the fact that it exists

when i first heard about this book i REALLY wanted it.

now that i know it is roughly a dollar a page (50.00 for 53 pages). i sure hope it is an oversized book.

i am sure scans will pop up shortly after the con. i just am curious to see what is inside it now.

what i REALLY want it some thing like i just bought for G.I. Joe.

i have one book that give a basic rundown for most of the important characters in the mythos( the essential guide to GI Joe vs Cobra)

i have another book that covers EVERY toy from 82-94, this is great when you are collecting and it is a really nice looking book(ultimate guide to G I JOE)

and lastly i have a book that covers EVERY, cartoon episode and comic book produced up to 2002 which is by FAR my favorite joe book( Now You Know: Unauthorized guide to G I Joe).

i would DIE for books like those that were about MOTU!!!
    cogito ergo doleo

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    when i first heard about this book i REALLY wanted it.

now that i know it is roughly a dollar a page (50.00 for 53 pages). i sure hope it is an oversized book.

i am sure scans will pop up shortly after the con. i just am curious to see what is inside it now.

what i REALLY want it some thing like i just bought for G.I. Joe.

i have one book that give a basic rundown for most of the important characters in the mythos( the essential guide to GI Joe vs Cobra)

i have another book that covers EVERY toy from 82-94, this is great when you are collecting and it is a really nice looking book(ultimate guide to G I JOE)

and lastly i have a book that covers EVERY, cartoon episode and comic book produced up to 2002 which is by FAR my favorite joe book( Now You Know: Unauthorized guide to G I Joe).

i would DIE for books like those that were about MOTU!!!
    I have all those books of which you speak. Although, the G.I. Joe Vs Cobra guide book is going to be out of date pretty quickly. It lists Marvel/Devil's Due continuity but then previews IDW's comics in the back. Since ROC, IDW and Resolute all have different canon than what came before, it looks like the original is pretty much dead. Hasbro still crushes Mattel when it comes to licensing comics and books for their products(unless you include that unofficial MOTU book by Roger Sweet, we MOTU fans have yet to see a book that wasn't for coloring or bedtime stories) but I'll take any MOTU related cartoon or movie over what G.I. Joe and Transformers fans have received. Some may disagree vehemently with me, but when I look at other franchises, it could be a lot worse, imho.

By the way, does anyone think it's odd that the MOTU Art Book is 53 pages? Aren't books' page numbers usually given as an even munber?
    Last edited by Mr. Shokoti; July 12, 2009 at 08:43pm.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RyDell View Post
    ...truly a shame that Mattel is still not working with the ORG. That's a bad move.
    I agree.

"Calm like a bomb." thexxwatcherxx's Avatar
    I have not stated my opinion on this matter for the most part, since it doesn't really matter. There was a point I wanted to reiterate though. I have read through most of the pages on this thread and I think I understand why all the anger. It was something Val said. The fact that acquiring this book has a cloud of hopelesness about it. It's not a good thing when you announce something so cool, but yet most fans realize they don't have a shot in the dark of ever getting it. When Mattel announces new figures most fans get excited because they have the feeling that atleast they have a good shot at it. With figures selling out faster and faster alot of that enthusiasm is turning to anger and negativity because people are not as positive that they will be able to get one. The playing field is not so level anymore in many fans eyes. This book is just one more straw that is breaking many a camel's back or getting darn close. We all have different situations and backgrounds. Fans that have managed to grab every figure so far with ease of course will be more opptimistic then those that haven't had as good of luck. I think we all just need to be patient with each other and not try to throw our belief system around as it may not apply to everyone. Thanx for hearing me out, Paul~
    Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

Mattel (MOTU brand managers) have lost sight of who made this line a success. It's unfortunate Mattel has decided to alienate people with these exclusives. I understand SDCC offers buzz, but the online fandom should have access to all these items. The surprising thing is Scott Neitlich didn't even allot an amount of these books for mattycollector.com.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by thexxwatcherxx View Post
    I have not stated my opinion on this matter for the most part, since it doesn't really matter. There was a point I wanted to reiterate though. I have read through most of the pages on this thread and I think I understand why all the anger. It was something Val said. The fact that acquiring this book has a cloud of hopelesness about it. It's not a good thing when you announce something so cool, but yet most fans realize they don't have a shot in the dark of ever getting it. When Mattel announces new figures most fans get excited because they have the feeling that atleast they have a good shot at it. With figures selling out faster and faster alot of that enthusiasm is turning to anger and negativity because people are not as positive that they will be able to get one. The playing field is not so level anymore in many fans eyes. This book is just one more straw that is breaking many a camel's back or getting darn close. We all have different situations and backgrounds. Fans that have managed to grab every figure so far with ease of course will be more opptimistic then those that haven't had as good of luck. I think we all just need to be patient with each other and not try to throw our belief system around as it may not apply to everyone. Thanx for hearing me out, Paul~

Very nicely put, and personally I agree on all points.

Heroic Warrior
    Let's not forget one important concept, ladies and gentlemen:

Mattel works for us. They are, essentially, our employees. We each pay them on a piece-by-piece basis to produce and deliver to us a desired product. They eat because when they do a satisfactory job, we fork over cash. This isn't some friend doing us a favor and expecting nothing in return. This is a group of people who have jobs because we've helped keep the company in business.

They work for US, not the other way around. I'm getting a little tired of the arguments of, "Well, Mattel doesn't have to give us anything, so shut up." They're a business. They either give us stuff we want or the lot of them file for unemployment. The tail doesn't wag the dog, here, and it shouldn't. Let's leave the "ungrateful customer" stuff at the door where such stuff belongs.
    Last edited by Vending Machine; July 12, 2009 at 10:45pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Hek-tor View Post
    Tumalu makes a valid point. IMO, a lot of these comments make us look like nothing more than spoiled and ungrateful crybabies. He’s not saying that you have accept it, but the “expressing ones opinion” gets old quick.
    I re-read what I wrote and what I replied to and I must apologize to Tumalu. My response must have sounded snappy.

From my point of view it is not me who is being dramatic. From my point of view the real drama comes from people who try to tell me that it is over-reacting to stop collecting this toyline or that I should not say so because they do not believe I am truly serious. Or that I should not say so, because it makes us as a community seem like crybabies. Really, if I decided to cancel a Marvel comic-subscription after a certain magazine loses it's vibe, would I be a crybaby too?

I do stop magazine subscriptions when I don't get a good feeling about reading a magazine anymore and right now I do not feel any different about MOTUC. I am sure that I will finish my MOTUC collection some day. But I'll do it when it feels like fun again.

And Kafos again brought up a point I could not bring up myself: This art book is more important than the toys for me aswell. It was the box-art along with Filmation-cartoon that made me enthusiastic about MOTU. I would assume that from my point of view, limiting this book to 1,000 copies feels the same what limiting He-man and Skeletor figures to the same numbers would feel like for some people.

Heidi
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    My one piece of advice to Mattel: do a little research on one of Playmate's decisons some years back: they produced a very limited 1701 each of three figures in the line (ensuring that only a lucky few could then possibly collect a complete set of Trek figures), a move that so infuriated the collectors who made up the bulk of their sales that many gave up on it. The line quickly declined after that, and then died. There were admittedly a few other factors thrown in, but that one decision helped set the end of the line in motion.

Trek fans are among the most devout I know of, and they started dropping the line as Playmates started making bad choices. They discovered too late that collectors are not necessarily sheep who will keep buying no matter how badly they are treated.

A little industry history I think Mattel folks should remember as they go forward here....
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

$50 is steep for only 53 pages. But still, it sucks that there are only 1000. I call shenanigans!
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if all of a sudden, only 500 books were available at all because they've donated half of the books to the US army after some soldier's written them a sad letter.

nice reference

I wouldn't be surprised if there were only 500 left because some Mattel employees had the others and were actually the very ebay resellers we complain about.

I know that sounds incredibly cynical, but I just wouldn't be surprised. Mattel made MOTUC because they KNEW the fandom was strong enough to give it a try... and that only means they knew they could make some money, and start the mattycollector site out on a strong footing. Toy stores are becoming dinosaurs, and soon ALL toy shopping will be done online.

No... that would mean that Mattel had a long-term plan for mattycollector.com.. and that would never be the case LOL.

I have to say, I am sort of glad that people are finally voicing their disappointment in such numbers.

I feel Mattel messes up EVERY TIME. I don't understand it.

The only thing they have not messed up is He-Ro, but, in my opinion, they did, because of these terrible bios for MOTUC. (Still glad to have him though).
    A Want List
    Mini Comic Tri-Klops, Toy costume Catra, Enchantress, Kayo, Joya, Lt. Andra, Storm, Twiggets, Melaktha, Spirit, Kothos, Master Sebrian, Scrollos, 200X Sorceress, King Miro. Filmation: Adora, Marzo, Leech, Entrapta, Glimmer, Bow, Catra w/ Cat Form, Mermista, Moss Man, Kobra Khan, Whiplash, Multi-Bot

Quote Originally Posted by Vending Machine View Post
    Mattel works for us. They are, essentially, our employees.
    This only works if the people stop buying the product. That won't be happening anytime soon, nor will people stop supporting the line because they can't obtain the art book.

So far MOTUC has been exceeding the expectations. Thus, Mattel is overall doing a good job.

Heroic Warrior
    I posted this over at facebook too, but if Mattel is going to do something like this, why not just sell 1000 on ebay for $100 each. Mattel should just cut the middleman and use the extra profit for tooling...

The thing that really sucks is that so many of the ones bought at the con are just going to end up on ebay right after they are bought.

One would have to assume the majority of devout He-man fans come the org. Why would something as awesome as this book be sold at a place known for people just going to buy things to make a quick buck? I mean, what is the difference if Mattel decided to sell these here, or matty.com instead of at the con? Either way they still make their money. The only difference is that the books will for the most part go to the REAL fans. You know the real fans that are bound to get raped paying ebay prices, or get gouged by their fellow he-man fans

I think this is a painfully bad move by Mattel. If they actually cared about the fans, they would choose to sell these to everyone, not just those that can attend some convention on the west coast. I really don't understand Mattel at all and it seems that everyone who says they know what the fans want just have no clue. The bottom line is I don't think Mattel doesn't care about us, or what we think, or value our opinions. At the end of the day all they care about is making their money any way possible. We don't matter. Just our money matters.

I just wonder what the legal mumbo jumbo is that made it possible for only 1000 to be printed.

Wow! This is fantastic news!!
    This is something I have been waiting for for decades!

BUT...

...now it's a SDCC exclusive limited to 1000 copies... what a kick in the teeth to be a motu fan (and an artist one at that).
    NOW DOING CHARACTER ART COMMISSIONS - PM FOR DETAILS
    DeviantArt Gallery
    Week Daze - my webcomic
    The Return to Anwat Gar

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Power Sword View Post
    I just wonder what the legal mumbo jumbo is that made it possible for only 1000 to be printed.
    I just want to know who their crack legal team is...so I can avoid them like the plague.

"No, I've told you before, you can't possibly put product news of products that you own, created and manufacture on your very own website! I mean this is common sense people. What, more than 1000 books? Are you crazy? Can't do it. There's a law against it. Yes I'm sure. Reproducing your own classic promotional artwork? Sorry, things like that just aren't possible, legally speaking. Of course I know what I'm talking about, I got my laminated 'awesomest lawyer' card by cutting out three specially marked packs, just like Johnny Cochrane. Rights to use Filmation designs? Dude, now you're just yankin' my chain..."

i saw 2 PREORDER autions of this exclusive already on ebay one have 11 bids and its like 103 dollars already and the other one is 124 dollars on buy it now, plus shipping to my country with his price is like 145 dollars so for me that im in south america i have to spend the price of 3 books to get one?????
    haha there is no way i will get one i see
    i can pay i think 80 buks but 140 ?????? cmon this is not fair
    i can save a little bit more and get maybe a laser light skeletor or something
    [email protected]
    visit my albums:
    awesome trades with: harold, krosfyah, bobtheodd, Agostinho, boggs32, sallah, beastor
    Visit my facebook page 2917 likes already!!!!! XD
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...259610?sk=info

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    My one piece of advice to Mattel: do a little research on one of Playmate's decisons some years back: they produced a very limited 1701 each of three figures in the line (ensuring that only a lucky few could then possibly collect a complete set of Trek figures), a move that so infuriated the collectors who made up the bulk of their sales that many gave up on it. The line quickly declined after that, and then died. There were admittedly a few other factors thrown in, but that one decision helped set the end of the line in motion.

Trek fans are among the most devout I know of, and they started dropping the line as Playmates started making bad choices. They discovered too late that collectors are not necessarily sheep who will keep buying no matter how badly they are treated.

A little industry history I think Mattel folks should remember as they go forward here....

I couldnīt agree more.
    These Mattel execs, should really start to think a lot on things before they do it.
    But I wonder... Man-at-arms will be on sale in just three or two days, and he will sell out fast! I think everyone agree on that.
    Therefore what will these execs at Mattel think? They will think: "We screwed them up with the art book, but still Man-at-Arms sold out! Oh well we can continue to do bad decisions like these, because the figures will still sell out."
    Im not trying to incentivate a boycott to the Man-at-Arms figure, heīs a figure a lot of people have been expecting, and a fan favorite.
    Im still thinking if I will get one or not.
    All this stuff with Mattel having legal problems in using art that was produced for the company, having problems using characters from a show that is advertising their products, it just makes me feel like they dont really know what they are doing.
    As much as I appreciate Motu it is supposed to be an entertainig thing not a frustrating one.

sorry for my english
    Last edited by mistaloko; July 13, 2009 at 04:16am.

Oh so true! I should know, I was one of those sheeps for a time.

But as for the book, I would love to have my own copy of it. But no way to go to the show and I know even If I could I probably not get one since I'm sure Mattel despite they saying this and that. I'm sure the sellers there will sell to some about 5 or 10 copies of the book. Like they have done with their past exclusives. Anyway, I'm hoping at least some Org. Member will get one and are able to scan some of the pictures to show us how cool the book is.
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

I'm a bit more relaxed this morning, as someone's offered to help me get one. *all g(l)eeked* I know nothing's guaranteed, but at least I'm not so hopeless on this exclusive. Thanks to the .org community. If it's possible for me to get another one by some other means, I'll offer it at cost.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

How ominous...
    Maybe you should compare MOTUC to a collector's toyline from the current/recent toy market instead of a toyline that ended over 10 years ago, lasted for 7 years and produced practically every character available.
    Heck, even convention exclusives didn't really start to take off until 2000-2001.

I'm not directing my reply directly at you btw, but in general

Times have changed, if you compare MOTUC to a recent Collector's toyline based on a popular brand like say, the Muppets or South Park for example you'll find countless exclusives, both in the regular series as well as convention exclusives, dealer exclusives, Toy Fair exclusives etcetc. Muppets even had an item created for an employees wedding. But you know, even though the fans realized they might not get that particular figure or item, they realized it was part of being a collector. Some items might be harder and more expensive to get than others. It's just the way it is.
    And that is just for figures, don't even start with items like busts, statues etc from Gentle Giant, Sideshow, Hot Toys. Your heart won't be able to take it.

I will probably miss out on this book as well. But I'll get it another day, it's not the end of the world. People are jumping at Mattel's throat because they are unable to get a specific exclusive. But that is what an exclusive is. And no offense but what about the 10-pack of re-issues. Or She-Ra? Both exclusives, but they could not get rid of them. They lasted for years until they finally started selling (the 10-pack) because they lowered the price to 50-75 dollar. There was even a thread about it. She-Ra took forever. Heck I still have stock left and I've been selling far below the eBay price. Or the variant comic covers from Graham Crackers? Nobody was complaining about that. Or the Game Boy comic book? Or the Best Buy 200X DVD w/ spineart? Once sold out the prices will go up on sites like eBay, but they will come down as well. Just look at figures like 200X Teela and Evil Lyn. You might have to wait a little longer, but at least you know there actually IS a book out there

And come on.....53 pages?
    How many box art/concept art is already known and out there on the internet from MOTU alone? And this would include POP, NA, 200x and the new movie? Even if they don't use any text, this is a brochure at best with a (probably) nice collection of samples, but nowhere near the all-encompassing art book people are expecting. Unless they use tiny little pictures for every piece of art featured.
    You know, like the internet.

*** Removed ***

All I'm saying is could we get a little perspective please?
    The forum has been turning into a constant source of complains/threats/and overal nastyness over the most tiny little things. I'm not saying you can't voice your displeasure about something, but is it possible to tone it down a little?
    Yes, there are a lot of die-hard fans on this forum, but not all MOTU fans are forummembers. There are plenty who rarely come here if at all. What makes you that much more important that Mattel should deliver to forummembers first and leave the leftovers to the other fans?

Several of my customers had never even heard of He-Man.org, it didn't make them any less of a fan who loved to collect the figures, stactions, DVD's and in the end the Classics.

*** Part removed. Please observe Mod-Bot's post ***
    It was hard enough to kill a vampire. You could stake them down and turn them into dust and ten years later someone drops a drop of blood in the wrong place and guess who's back? They returned more times than raw broccoli.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay)

Quote Originally Posted by Audric View Post
    Yes, there are a lot of die-hard fans on this forum, but not all MOTU fans are forummembers. There are plenty who rarely come here if at all. What makes you that much more important that Mattel should deliver to forummembers first and leave the leftovers to the other fans?

Several of my customers had never even heard of He-Man.org, it didn't make them any less of a fan who loved to collect the figures, stactions, DVD's and in the end the Classics.
    To be fair, Mattel has used this site for many years to get the hype-machine going for for the last couple of MOTU lines (i.e. advertising the Facebook page and Mattycollector). They have actual representatives coming here to post. We're also the first group of people they come to online when they need some sort of input. So, I think it would be a nice gesture to give something back to a community that stays involved.

And that's the keyword there: Involved That's not to say that other MOTU fans aren't passionate, but I think we're more important and the hardest of the hardcore, 'cause many of us have taken the time to stay involved and give our input. I know some folks have a difficult time signing up here, due to the fact that free e-mail hosting services aren't allowed, but where there's a will there's a way.
    Last edited by Tallstar; July 13, 2009 at 07:00am.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."