Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated: Limited Edition MOTU ART BOOK at SDCC - Official Discussion

Chris here...

Just as an observation, I think this thread here - http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=173552 - gives a real indication as to why some members of these forums are upset about the limited quantities of this MOTU art book. If you check out the number of replies, and then think that some of those folks want 2 copies, that amounts to between 15% - 20% of the total stock available - just from this forum!

If you consider that there are many MOTU fans in the world who are more "passive" in the fandom and don't post here (there would have to be, as there's no way that the MOTU Classics figures are selling entirely to He-Man.Org forum members or "re-sellers"), it makes 1000 copies seem like a very small number...

Take care...
    Part of the "Kidult" craze long before it was a thing! : )

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    As someone that has dealt with Mattel legal, they absolutely operate under different rules than everyone else. I have no idea why, but they have self imposed restrictions and regulations that companies like Hasbro, Disney, and the major comic book, movie and TV studios do not.
    Be that as it may, if they are at all interested in quelling fan dissatisfaction, in the future they should strive to provide better than simply "Legal won't let us."

Or, deal with the fan backlash.

I am super happy for the true fans that are able to score one at SDCC, but at the same time feel bad for the fans who want this bad enough to let themselves be exploited by resellers.

My hope is that resellers aren't quite as privy to the ridiculously low production run, and balk at the high price tag.

Movie mayhem!
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Fan View Post
    Chris here...

Just as an observation, I think this thread here - http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=173552 - gives a real indication as to why some members of these forums are upset about the limited quantities of this MOTU art book. If you check out the number of replies, and then think that some of those folks want 2 copies, that amounts to between 15% - 20% of the total stock available - just from this forum!

If you consider that there are many MOTU fans in the world who are more "passive" in the fandom and don't post here (there would have to be, as there's no way that the MOTU Classics figures are selling entirely to He-Man.Org forum members or "re-sellers"), it makes 1000 copies seem like a very small number...

Take care...
    yea but people are just saying they'd like a book like this... not that they'd buy one for $50 bucks... i think price point matters for an item like this a lot
    Check out my MOTU Spin off comic here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...62#post3784962

Actually, those are people wanting the MOTU art book... not just any MOTU art book. I think most people posting there understand it's for the one that's at SDCC since the title fo the thread specifies this.

Movie mayhem!
    yes you are right.. probably... i still think its pretty easy to raise you hand and say yes I want one and much more difficult to actually drop $50 bucks on one. My point is are people saying they want one... or that they'd pay $50 for it because I suspect a lot of those people saying they want one wouldn't pay that much even if given the chance. I really really want that book and I'm going to the con, but even I'm a little skiddish about droping $50 bucks on it.
    Check out my MOTU Spin off comic here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...62#post3784962

Quote Originally Posted by Lay Ze-Man View Post
    Be that as it may, if they are at all interested in quelling fan dissatisfaction, in the future they should strive to provide better than simply "Legal won't let us."
    They won't - because you can't explain laws that don't exist...

They won't - because you can't explain laws that don't exist...
    So is it that Mattel's legal dept is just afraid to do ANYTHING progressive? I remember you saying that yopu guys couldn't put toy commercials on because you'd have to pay the actors etc, but Hasbro blurred out their faces on the TF dvds isn't that a way around it? did mattel veto that too out of fear?

I don't understand, it seems mattel doesn't want to make any REALLY bold moves that would likely increase their revenue.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Heroic Warrior Master of Disguise's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    yes you are right.. probably... i still think its pretty easy to raise you hand and say yes I want one and much more difficult to actually drop $50 bucks on one. My point is are people saying they want one... or that they'd pay $50 for it because I suspect a lot of those people saying they want one wouldn't pay that much even if given the chance. I really really want that book and I'm going to the con, but even I'm a little skiddish about droping $50 bucks on it.
    Speaking for myself here...I raised my hand in that thread and I would have no problem shelling out $50 USD for it...better than what I would have to pay on the secondary market.

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    So is it that Mattel's legal dept is just afraid to do ANYTHING progressive? I remember you saying that yopu guys couldn't put toy commercials on because you'd have to pay the actors etc, but Hasbro blurred out their faces on the TF dvds isn't that a way around it? did mattel veto that too out of fear?

I don't understand, it seems mattel doesn't want to make any REALLY bold moves that would likely increase their revenue.
    I'm pretty sure they won't release anything unless they have a piece of paper that says they own it and spells out exactly what they can and can not do with it.

Fun story:

If you look at the back of any of the MYP DVDs you will notice that every proper noun has either a ® or a ™ after it. Every name, every place, every group, whatever.

I really didn't want to do that. It destroys the flow of text and looks bad. So I sent them probably 20 scans of the backs of DVDs. Animated series (Justice League, BTAS, Spider-Man), Live-action movies (Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Hulk, Wonder Woman), etc. All of them not only didn't put ™s or ®s ANYWHERE in the body copy, but many didn't even put them by the LOGOS.

I know He-Man is a big property, but he's not Batman or Spider-Man, so I felt confident I'd win this one. They sent me one scan back and said "We found one that did do all of that, so you have to leave them in."

Want to know what it was?

Ready?

A Barbie movie.

That sinking in?

They used their OWN property as an example of what people do.

A Barbie movie.

That sinking in?
    That's priceless

Patreek: I think I have more faith in people and believe that when someone says yes, they mean yes.

Heidi
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

I'm pretty sure they won't release anything unless they have a piece of paper that says they own it and spells out exactly what they can and can not do with it.

Fun story:

If you look at the back of any of the MYP DVDs you will notice that every proper noun has either a ® or a ™ after it. Every name, every place, every group, whatever.

I really didn't want to do that. It destroys the flow of text and looks bad. So I sent them probably 20 scans of the backs of DVDs. Animated series (Justice League, BTAS, Spider-Man), Live-action movies (Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Hulk, Wonder Woman), etc. All of them not only didn't put ™s or ®s ANYWHERE in the body copy, but many didn't even put them by the LOGOS.

I know He-Man is a big property, but he's not Batman or Spider-Man, so I felt confident I'd win this one. They sent me one scan back and said "We found one that did do all of that, so you have to leave them in."

Ready?

A Barbie movie.

That sinking in?

No way!! you killing me man, I cant believe it! LOL LOL
    COSTA RICA: NO ARTIFICIAL INGREDIENTS!

Fun story:

Ready?

A Barbie movie.

That sinking in?

hahahaha
    unbelievable....
    [email protected]
    visit my albums:
    awesome trades with: harold, krosfyah, bobtheodd, Agostinho, boggs32, sallah, beastor
    Visit my facebook page 2917 likes already!!!!! XD
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...259610?sk=info

2002/DC He-Man Video guy

Fun story:

Ready?

A Barbie movie.

That sinking in?

Ohhhh man....

That is at the same time extremely hilarious and kinda sad...

But a great story!
    Would love to hear more of these from you and Val.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuukka View Post
    Americans read books? I tought they just watch pictures. ...just kidding, there are few...

Good point
    Nothing represents more the unexplainable vacuousness of the human race, than the unfounded and arrogant blind faith in the ruthless and narcissistic transcendence of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Ohhhh man....

That is at the same time extremely hilarious and kinda sad...

But a great story!
    Would love to hear more of these from you and Val.
    Well, now you have an example of what almost caused me a nervous breakdown while working on those DVD. Seriously.

We wanted to do many more cool things that were not possible because of legal dept restrictions.
    I think we didn't give up on the whole episode 40 comic thing and the 4H documentary just because we were stubborn and loved MOTU so much

Movie mayhem!
    Quote Originally Posted by kai View Post
    That's priceless

Patreek: I think I have more faith in people and believe that when someone says yes, they mean yes.

Heidi
    I mean yea its very possible thats true... i just know I almost posted in that thread a resounding YES because honestly yes of course I want this book... but then i started thinking about the price and it changed things for me... I really need to see it first to decide... $50 could be a great value or really overpriced.

edit: its not that i don't have faith in people... i just think people are responding with the thought "yes I want one of those books" in their head... not "yes i'd pay $50 to get that book"
    Last edited by Patreek; July 15, 2009 at 02:25pm.

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Fun story:
    That's definitely a tad extreme.

And you know, I would just say "Hey, it's their brand, they can do whatever they want with it!"

But with MotU it doesn't always seem like they really know what they're doing, so that's the only reason bizarre practices like above would be called into question from the fans' perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    We wanted to do many more cool things that were not possible because of legal dept restrictions.
    I think we didn't give up on the whole episode 40 comic thing and the 4H documentary just because we were stubborn and loved MOTU so much
    I know you guys don't like to blow your own horns too often, but I hope at some point down the road, every MotU fan will be able to know just everything you guys have done for the fans, and be able to thank you for it.
    Last edited by Lay Ze-Man; July 15, 2009 at 03:20am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    Anyone see how much these first few auctions are ending for?
    Hey Mattel, apparently you aren't asking enough and neither am I from the people I've told I could get one. Hey guys, I just found out it will cost $150 to ship worldwide (kidding!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=130318575046

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=290330584869

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=130318576475
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

Quote Originally Posted by Patreek View Post
    I mean yea its very possible thats true... i just know I almost posted in that thread a resounding YES because honestly yes of course I want this book... but then i started thinking about the price and it changed things for me... I really need to see it first to decide... $50 could be a great value or really overpriced.
    Patreek is correct, raising ones' hand is very different from raising one's wallet. That's a very valid point.

The main purpose of that thread is to show one loud collective voice of how many people would be interested, a gauge rather, that might grab a certain someone's attention. I feel it will do a bettter purpose than to have a bunch of random complaints scattered here and there that TG will probably just overlook.

BTW I have nothing against complaints either, just complaints that go un-noticed

Two days and already 200 folks are interested in the contents within the book, which is pretty impressive to say the least. Maybe we orgers were just underestimated by mattel. Maybe matty didn't realize how many of us would have interest in such a book.

I personally needed confirmation of what I already believed and in the end, I just really hope it says something to the powers that be which makes them consider something for the rest of the world who are interested about those contents of that book.

PS, LFE wow with those auctions ending so high, I hope no one gets hurt over this or lynched by the mob at SDCC...be careful everyone and come back safely.
    Erase your mind.

Do the Muscle Man dance!

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent Parker View Post
    PS, LFE wow with those auctions ending so high, I hope no one gets hurt over this or lynched by the mob at SDCC...be careful everyone and come back safely.
    LOL. Anyone remember the riot that almost broke out in 2003 over keldor? One guy actually took a swing at another when he cut in line.
    I still feel bad that I kicked that old lady in the neck...In hindsight it wasn't very Christan of me. But believe me when I say that granny was an evil old lady who deserved it!
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

^ Note to Mattel: Have more than one register open this time.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Just a couple random points bugging me:

The grumpy old dragon still can't let go of the questions the whole thing raises (the posts above about Mattel legal are disturbing, at best. I thought the Mouse's lawyers were the scariest creatures on the planet). The more I've been thinking about this, the more things aren't making sense. We've been told that because of some legal loophole, they can only produce 1000 of these and can only sell it as an exclusive, which is why it's at SDCC. Yet we're also told any leftovers may be available on Matty. Yes, I know, Matty technically counts as an exclusive, but it still means that the choice to offer it at the con was Mattel's choice, not a legal requirement. And I still can't get my head around what kind of restriction would allow them to make a small amount like this; if there are copyright or rights problems, I'd think they would apply whether you made 1 or 1000. Something is screwy somewhere, and I'm still left with the feeling "legal problems" is going to be this year's excuse for Matty mess-ups just as "vendor switch" has been for the past year or so.

And, digressing a little, I went back and read the notice on Facebook about the book, and I have to say one of the comments strikes me as odd, and now I think I know why. For a while, I've had a well discussed problem with talking about and to a a paper mache headed fictional character, but the thanks given to Toy Guru for the book, though on the surface just a pat on the back to a Mattel employee, comes across as a bit self serving if TG was writng it. I know Matty is supposed to be a blanket ID so that anyone at Mattel can fill the writing shoes, but it's also been clear that many of Matty's comments have been written in a style identical to TG's. It just makes Matty even a little bit creepier than he already is (if that's possible) if TG is writing in the third person praising himself.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    And I still can't get my head around what kind of restriction would allow them to make a small amount like this; if there are copyright or rights problems, I'd think they would apply whether you made 1 or 1000.
    I'm thinking it's like some other folks have mentioned. -- Warner Bros. probably own the live-action movie concepts that are in the book.

So I'm guessing Mattel can produce a certain amount before Warner Bros. wants a piece of the profits. If this is the case, I think they should've just shown the live-action concepts for free online and just left them out of the book.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

I don't think it has anything to do with Movie concepts or Warner.
    Based on my experience and knowledge in the field, these mentioned concepts may just be concept exploration done by Mattel and thus owned by Mattel (it's a commoning thing, brand's owners do that to show the studios what their brands are about)
    If it was a Warner problem, they could have just done without it.

From my understanding, it has nothing to do with rights, I think it has more to do with it being a publication, and not another kind of merchandinsing, but I may be wrong.
    I must remark, in this case this was totally out of Toyguru's hands, so the folks at the other departments may just not be aware of the demand of such item.

I am a idiot. I just made a bid of 150$
    Johan Eggink aka Eterniandreams

[email protected]