Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated: Limited Edition MOTU ART BOOK at SDCC - Official Discussion

This is great!!

Unfortunately, what I see happening is another Keldor fiasco. I remember people were buying him, not knowing who he was, only because he was a hot exclusive. I hope that only true fans get a hold of the book!

I'm trying to optimistic. Mattel has been doing a great job at listening to what we want. ...and this book IS what a lot of us fans have been asking and wanting for a long time.

Before we start to sling poo, let us be patient and see...

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    So something we've ALL BEEN WANTING, they say, screw it... lets do 1000 only.

Nice. Another slap in the face!
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

AW! That's awesome!! I really hope they end up making a standard version somewhere down the line so we can all have one. That's one of those things where I don't care if they change it for a non-SDCC version. I just want some form of this book someday!
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Heroic Warrior
    ok so how much is this book gonna be?

I'd have no problem paying 100$ for it if it was signed...........

(but it would have to be unmolested....)

I dont want anyones finger prints on it but mine

Heroic Warrior
    Bad News!

Only 1000! I will never get one! I was never so sad in Motuc-History!

Quote Originally Posted by Fisto's Left Hand View Post
    Even if we will get a 2nd printing for everyone else, it's doubtful that TG is going to come on say that here before SDCC. Mainly cause if everyone knows they can get it later, they won't buy it at the booth.
    "Exactly!" answered Fisto's Right Hand!

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I'm actually really shocked that Mattel are doing this!!!

1, that it is one of the most wanted things fans have been wanted for AGES

and 2 that they're releasing "a version" at SDCC!

I will try to get a copy from Ebay, but REALLY hope that they release it as a hardcopy coffee table book with loads of info - they just have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisto's Left Hand View Post
    Even if we will get a 2nd printing for everyone else, it's doubtful that TG is going to come on say that here before SDCC. Mainly cause if everyone knows they can get it later, they won't buy it at the booth.
    But that would be a good test to see how much it would sell with the casual, not-in-the-internet-loop MOTU fans.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Amberbratt View Post
    The first place they'll be available is San Diego Comic-Con. Purchases will be limited to two per guest, per wait in line.

Cool this is awesome.. we get a boook and it says (right above) "The FIRST PLACE they'll be available is SDCC and u know they are gonna make more..

Im getting this book I love MOTU art!
    You're being selective with your quote!

The full quote is:

"It's a soft-cover edition, limited to only 1,000 numbered copies. Eachone comes with a numbered cover ribbon and an embossed seal. The firstplace they'll be available is San Diego Comic-Con. Purchases will belimited to two per guest, per wait in line."

As it says quite clearly, the first place the 1,000 numbered copies will be available is SDCC. There is no mention of any other copies being printed for another release! It is phrased that way because if any are remaining then the second place they'll be available is somewhere else (probably the web site).

It's all very clear when you read the full piece... we can't pick and choose what we want to hear.

SirBushnell SPEAKS!

Get ready for a future with a magical blend of science fiction and fantasy. A brand new legend. A whole new war.
    It's coming...

Heroic Warrior
    Stuff like this really angers me. Not only because it is limited to 1000, in which a bunch of non fans are going to buy it just to sell on ebay, but because you know it's going to be reprinted. Instead of just making a decent amount and selling them on the site in the first place they have to go ahead with this garbage. And why would somebody even want to get it signed by the people at Mattel of today? If it was from the people who created the original line in the 80's I could understand, but the people there now are just fans who grew up with the line with happen to now work for the company.

Chris here...

I'd be jumping for joy if this was going to be widely available!

But, only 1000 copies? I can't help but feel that this is a mistake, because if you think how fast several thousand MOTU Classics action figures sell out on MattyCollector...well, you can figure out how long this will last at SDCC. Which will leave a lot of MOTU fans feeling very disenchanted, and turn something positive ("Wow, look at this awesome book!") into a negative ("Yeah, an awesome book that at least 90% of us will never own!").

Overall, A++++ for the concept, but a very poor execution that will anger a lot of fans (and disappoints me).

EDIT: Just to add that the other reason this is poorly executed is because if people zoom onto eBay to buy copies from what we now refer to as "re-sellers", and then a few months down the line this gets reprinted, this potentially is going to make people feel as though they've wasted their money. I very much like what Mattel are trying to do here, I just think they needed to think it through a bit more!

Take care...
    Last edited by He-Fan; July 10, 2009 at 02:20pm.
    Part of the "Kidult" craze long before it was a thing! : )

Uh, this is frustrating. On one hand, I am super pumped Mattel is releasing this MOTU art book. On the other, I'm annoyed that I'll have to use e-bay for another SDCC exclusive. Maybe we'll get lucky and Mattel will announce another printing during one of their SDCC panels. Now if I can only be patient enough to wait for the second printing...

The art book would have been worth more to me than even the He-ro figure. To me, and perhaps others, He-Man is not "just a toy." I can't even believe the level of frustration that this has given me.

This whole thing is such a prototypical Mattel move it's almost laughable if I wasn't so sad.

Give us something we've been begging for years, but make it complete unaccesible to the vast majority of fans.
    Rigby the Barbarian - Swords, Sorcery and Sarcasm

They should do one for POP and NA too.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

1000 copies only at SDCC? Well, It's A bad day for the fans and an excelent day for the resellers.

Oh my god! My MotU-Dreams come true!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    They should do one for POP and NA too.
    I wouldn't be surprised if all of that stuff is probably in the book too, with their own chapters or sections. 200X as well.

He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    Even the people going to SDCC will have a really low chance of getting this item. If we assume that each person buys 2, only 500 people will purchase it at the con.

I HOPE they don't sell it on preview night and they limit the number of books sold per day so everyone has a chance.

Heroic Warrior
    I can just see the $500.00 Buy It Now auctions appearing on eBay later tonight.
    "White Ranger... Dino Power"

Man, what an awesome book, but what a letdown that there are only 1,000 copies and that it will only be available at SDCC. That really sucks.

Don't they have any idea how many die-hard MOTU fans are out there? If they are selling out of $20 action figures every month, they could have surely made a larger print run of these books.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino_Ranger_White View Post
    I can just see the $500.00 Buy It Now auctions appearing on eBay later tonight.
    It would be hilarious if the book pricing was announced at $995 after people have already bought at that price, though, eh?

SirBushnell SPEAKS!

Get ready for a future with a magical blend of science fiction and fantasy. A brand new legend. A whole new war.
    It's coming...

All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!
    im sure its going to be around $100 you have to remember its LIMITED EDITION

i want one, ill be saving up on ebay for this guy too. if it goes about 250 though, i probably wont get it. i just dont have enough

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnnaMot View Post
    im sure its going to be around $100 you have to remember its LIMITED EDITION
    If this book is $100.00 a pop, I don't honestly know if 1,000 copies will
    sell out at SDCC. With the crappy economy, people are not gonna drop
    $200.00 for two of these per person.

Any way you look at it, it is still a *****-slap to the face of the MOTU fan community.

This should be in NO WAY a con-exclusive.

I don't understand why everything MOTU-related right now can't be kept to mattycollector.com.
    The "first chance" to get a figure at a con is fine... as long as it is available after on the site.
    It worked fine for Faker, and should work alright for He-Ro.

Pulling crap like this is what disgusts people, and costs Mattel fans and supporters.
    Last edited by Dino_Ranger_White; July 10, 2009 at 03:10pm.
    "White Ranger... Dino Power"