Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated: Limited Edition MOTU ART BOOK at SDCC - Official Discussion

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodach View Post
    Don't they have any idea how many die-hard MOTU fans are out there? If they are selling out of $20 action figures every month, they could have surely made a larger print run of these books.
    It's the way this new Mattel sells things...it makes a huge buzz about it by making it RARE.

Think about it...we're getting up in arms about a BOOK. Were we ever like this about Val and Emiliano's comics? Roger Sweet's book? Probably not. We could get them at our leisure so it wasn't as imperative. But nowadays??

Since it's limited to 1000, this book has your undivided attention. The marketing strategy works. 1000 guaranteed sales due to how rare the book is sure to be. We'll probably see eBay listings soon.

Resellers and other collectors buying these things puts pressure on people to buy this thing NOW. It worked for making DC Universe Classics and MOTUC successes. (Imagine WWE next year...)

All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dino_Ranger_White View Post
    If this book is $100.00 a pop, I don't honestly know if 1,000 copies will
    sell out at SDCC. With the crappy economy, people are not gonna drop
    $200.00 for two of these per person.
    they will you have to see that most people are there on Vacation with money if thy dont get 2 at least 1 . and im sure there all thinking of auctioning off the second copy to pay for the 1st

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnnaMot View Post
    they will you have to see that most people are there on Vacation with money if thy dont get 2 at least 1 . and im sure there all thinking of auctioning off the second copy to pay for the 1st
    Perhaps, but I think it is still a stupid decision by Mattel.
    Although I guess we should come to EXPECT that by now.
    "White Ranger... Dino Power"

He-Man's PR: No Comment hemanrep's Avatar
    As much as we hate it, I don't think it's a stupid BUSINESS decision. In contrast, it's a brilliant strategic decision. It's a stupid decision from the perspective of fans however.

All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!
    as a businessman looking at the Mattels side this is a great sales item , its Guaranteed money in the bank.
    im sure if it sells out fast they will have second and 3rd printings you cant let good money get away

I was hoping it would be a hardcovered coffee table book, but this is exactly what one of my dream items for MOTU would be(along with an ongoing comic and a faithful movie adaptation). I was really expecting the unnamed exclusive to be a t-shirt or poster. Good times!!!
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

now I┤m so angry that i wont even express how I feel about not having a chance to get one of these!!!
    Last edited by mistaloko; July 10, 2009 at 03:27pm.

Holy Moses - I want one I want one!!! If anyone going to the con wants to pick me up one ... lemme know (neal at neal hunter hyde dot com). I would TOTES appreciate it! I'm so curious as to what kind of finds were made in the vaults (like the original eternia oil painting and stuff). So awesome! Wonder how long Val's been sitting on THIS knowledge :-) Musta been a hard secret to keep!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Second time in two days Mattel has struck out. Three if you count Gleek pictured on the WT box, as a reminder that you're not getting him.

(Bwahahahaha--this stuff NEVER stops does it?)

People are ****** now, but this will be forgotten in two weeks when we see the new figures and Battle Cat. And get MAA in hand.

Recently moved to GA! Help! I need to know new people!
    MAN! I already love this book!

This means I have to keep an eye on eBay and try to beat y'all for the rights to own one!
    By the Power... and For the Honor of GRAYSKULL!!!
    HE-MAN and SHE-RA Rules!!!

"Frustration is only felt when one realizes there is an option!"
    - Ancient One (BeastMaster: The Series; Fifth Element)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from MAGIC!
    - Clarke's Third Law

Heroic Master of Sleep Lay Ze-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    People are ****** now, but this will be forgotten in two weeks when we see the new figures and Battle Cat. And get MAA in hand.
    True 'dat!!!

(Fingers crossed for some Fisto or Man-E-Faces or Trap-Jaw awesomeness!)

While I utterly delighted there's gonna be a book, the track record of image scanning, sourcing and cleaning fills me with dread.
    Plus I know that a lot of those oil painting were stored stacked which not good for an oils painting for obvious reasons.

I just hope the image quality is good enough.

Nice.

I am expecting to see a 2nd printing done and being able to get one of these books.

If that will not happen, then I'll be super annoyed at Mattel. And even more annoyed at myself for not being able to do the proper thing and to boycott Mattel products.

So please, make a second printing. I could not withstand the self-loathing that the annoyance would bring to me.

Heidi
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Out of all the exclusives we've had thus far, I seriously think this book is one of the most important and should've been made available to everyone on He-Man.org.

I second this...only 1,000?????

why, when they could so EASILY sell more to us he man fans...?

baffled.
    AWESOME TRADERS:
    Sammy Banderas/jcb1973/Troy-Klops/Mystical musician/Daviono1089

MY .ORG FEEDBACK

MY EBAY FEEDBACK

"I Do hope you don't bruise easily He-Man!"
    ~Stevetor~

Oh Matty, you sure do love them what's going to SDCC.....so why don't you just release all your stuff there - in issues of 1000 as it's a nice round number - and then you don't have to worry about catering to those losers like me that live on another continent and have no hope in heck of ever getting there, cos of course I would have absolutely no interest in this damn near essential product anyway.

Well done. Bravo.

Have I ever told you guys how much I hate SDCC only exclusives

Robots and Monsters! TrimmTrabb's Avatar
    Do we have any idea how big this is (approx # of pages)?

Soft.Delicious.Nutritious Matt79's Avatar
    This is a joke, a really bad one!

Fantastic!! I will saved the money for ebay!

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    It's the way this new Mattel sells things...it makes a huge buzz about it by making it RARE.

Think about it...we're getting up in arms about a BOOK. Were we ever like this about Val and Emiliano's comics? Roger Sweet's book? Probably not. We could get them at our leisure so it wasn't as imperative. But nowadays??

Since it's limited to 1000, this book has your undivided attention.
    Umm... not to downplay any of the MVCreations comic output or Roger Sweet's hit-or-miss recollections in that book of his, but this isn't even in the same ballpark dude. This is something from the classic line that many of us would kill for. The original line's art is something I've always held very dear- it's not because it's limited that many of us are excited about it or want it. It's because of the actual CONTENT!!!
    I will be very upset with Mattel if they don't make these widely available for us fans. This is something we've wanted for a very long time and it's kind of a slap in the face to only produce a thousand and hawk them at a comic con most of us don't have a chance at going to

Wow. Thank you, Mattel, for crapping on collectors yet again.
    "Skeletor to King Randor...Skeletor to King Randor. Come in, you royal boob!"

I do hope we get to see this book again down the road. Maybe this book could be one of the monthly bonus items, or an incentive for getting a yearly subscription from Mattel.

However if we don't see this get reprinted in the future, I hope there's a nice enough fan who will go out of their way to scan each and every page so that the rest of us can enjoy the art too.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Lizorr, T-Rex, Great Black Wizard, rest of New Adventures, MOP Demons, Dream Mistress.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Ileena, Twiggets, Dragoon, Widgets, Dark Dream, Lady Valtira, Count Marzo, Chimera.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

Agree 100%, can't believe they slap it in my face then saying "sorry 28-years-devoted-MOTU-fan who follows and support us from 1981, it's the dream of every MOTU-raised artist but only for SDCC, more luck on Ebay..."
    Thanks as always Mattel...
    Danbrenus
    uomo libero e guerriero delle schiere Boiche

http://danbrenus.deviantart.com/
    My pre-Filmation minicomics:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=184385
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189337
    Of course I do commission, after all I have to live!
    Chiaramente accetto commissioni, dovr˛ pur campare...

I hate Mattel for this. I've considered collecting the box's of the original vehicles and playsets, just for the art, but of cource it's way to expensive that way. This is not a slap in the face, this is an An Al Ra Pe. I also hate convention only exclusives, but at least the're doing it right with He-Ro, not that I'll be buying him. This is the equivelant of pulling someones heart out and trying to sell it back to them. I have cursing a plenty in my mind right now, and I really hope that mattel makes this right. Do we know the price?

I can see them saying after the book gets sold out at the con and we're calling for matty blood here on the forums to get more books to us that they'll come up with something like "oh, we had seriously underestimated the demand for this book" and voila, second printing... At least that's how it better go.

It's like zodak74 said, lots of us want this book because it looks to have some jaw dropping content. My guess would be the softcover would be an attempt to keep the cover price on this puppy down. I'm already looking for a way to get a copy in my hands.