Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated: Limited Edition MOTU ART BOOK at SDCC - Official Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    the only thing more annoying then people being over dramatic are people who tell them not to be.
    correct
    Johan Eggink aka Eterniandreams

[email protected]

they only said that there will be 1000 numbered copies(collector items), not that only 1000 copies are going to be made
    For HE who has lifted the sword and says the holy words will be the king of kings :jesus

Turbo Orangutan Kosmic JimPansen's Avatar
    I donīt know if nothing wouldīve been better........

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Well, that sucks, but this book sounds really awesome. If I have to resort to Evil-Bay, then I just might do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisto69 View Post
    If someone does get the book could they put the pictures on here so at least we can all see the never seen before pictures or is that not allowed?
    That's definitely not allowed. You can't even post scans from Toyfare here. He-man.org doesn't want to take the bread off of someone else's table.

Hoping that Mattel will publish the thing online is a pipe-dream. They're not going to charge people 50 bucks at the 'con and then turn around and put it online for everyone to have for free.

If it gets posted online it'll be by someone who buys it, and posts it without Mattel's permission, and don't expect them to be able to post links here.

Quote Originally Posted by [B
    Matty on Facebook[/B]

For a variety of legal reasons we were restricted to only create this book if we kept it as a limited edition. That was part of the bargain for getting to do the book itself. It was 1,000 editions or nothing He-Fans.
    I wonder what these legal reasons are. Does Mattel not own the rights to publish books about their own property? If not, then who owns the rights?

Such a bummer that this won't have a larger run and a lower price.

No Red Beast, We Riot! Whiplash7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Abstractharmony View Post
    53 pages?

$50.00?

Wow...

That's an expensive pamphlet.
    It's an art book, art books are expensive.

Chris here...

Quote Originally Posted by Matty Facebook
    Now we know a lot of fans are asking why only 1,000 copies and will we ever reprint? The answer (at least for now) is that this was actually a number required. For a variety of legal reasons we were restricted to only create this book if we kept it as a limited edition. That was part of the bargain for getting to do the book itself. It was 1,000 editions or nothing He-Fans.
    This is the most bizarre thing I've ever heard! I'm not suggesting it's not true, but...this is crazy!

All I can say is expect to see a LOT of sellers flogging illegal PDF-file DVD-ROMs of the content on the Internet "black market" - which I would've thought would completely negate any legal requirement requiring the book to be made a limited edition. If something gets out into the public domain, there's a good chance it'll stay there!

And if there is content with a restriction (which I can believe - those of us who've been around on these forums for a number of years will remember how antsy Mattel are about MOTU Styleguides and the like making their way onto the Internet), then really I think Mattel should have thought about fan backlash before dangling that carrot in front of peoples' noses. Yep, I'm sure that sounds ungrateful (and for the record, whilst I would have loved one of these books...I can live without it), and fair play to Mattel for making these available for even some fans, but...meh, I still don't think this is a great move myself.

Take care...
    Part of the "Kidult" craze long before it was a thing! : )

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    53 pages? For $50 each? Is it folio-sized?

(Cue the Snake Mountain Wolf Howl from Filmation)

I hope there is a lot of material put on those 53 pages.
    I guess I'm used to the Frazetta, Boris and Julie artbooks...

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I'm creating a new thread, 'cause it looks like the update could get lost in the other one.

This is majorly depressing. Scans probably won't be allowed to be posted either.
    I'm focused on the "for now" I still see it coming out as a bigger release at a later date. maybe more stuff more pages etc. that being said, I still want one from Sdcc (just in case)
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

My lord.

Oh well.

Wow this is great news!! I'm not going to the show so I'll miss out on this one. But, hopefully there will be a reprint.
    A hardcover reprint would be extremely nice.

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    $50 for a 53-page, soft cover book??? Is that numbered foil stamp solid gold or something?

I'm focused on the "for now" I'm sure seeing the success of the book will force Mattel to do some wrangling later on, or maybe it's 1000 copies a year, who knows, one thing I'd LOVE to take a look at Mattel's legal files, they sure screwed things up with their own properties (particularly MOTU and POP) didn't they? GEEZ!
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

I was hoping they would eventually release it to the general public with slight changes (like a different cover).

All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!
    when can we see some pages ?

You know, I think this is kind of stupid. An exclusive ART Book from a TOY line that is being sold as an exclusive at SDCC???!!

That makes no sense - it should be sold on mattycollector. That is where TOY exclusives that Mattel makes are and should be sold.

Plus, Mattel could easily have thrown the Org members a bone and arranged some kind of way for us to order and pay. like a code on mattycollector?

This is a total FAN thing... why aren't fans being considered? The majority of these will be bought by re-sellers (who could be random people at the con, Mattel employees, fans, whoever), because a TINY percentage of the MOTU fandom gets to go to SDCC.

I think the book is a wonderful idea - and I am excited for it, but it should be made available to anyone who wants one. It's not a comic book. MOTU isn't primarily a comic-book property, and the art in this book is, presumably NOT comic-book art.
    A Want List: Starburst She-Ra doll, Slamurai, Concept Snake Troopers, Slime Pit He-Man

Mini Comic Tri-Klops, Toy costume Catra, Enchantress, Kayo, Joya, Lt. Andra, Storm, Twiggets, Melaktha, Spirit, Kothos, Master Sebrian, Scrollos, 200X Sorceress, King Miro. Filmation: Adora, Marzo, Leech, Entrapta, Glimmer, Bow, Catra w/ Cat Form, Mermista, Moss Man, Kobra Khan, Whiplash, Multi-Bot

Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    Well, that was quick. I was e-mailing friends, hitting up my contacts to get me one... but at this price, I wouldn't touch the thing. I can call off the runners, now.

I'll be picking this up at SDCC along with He-Ro.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by The.Idea.of.Evil View Post
    $50 for a 53-page, soft cover book??? Is that numbered foil stamp solid gold or something?

You know,

It's fans who support this line, but it's also fans who Mattel continues to kick in the crotch. I say we make a statement and not buy the next figure in line to try and get noticed. Which might not be a problem anyway considering all the order errors.

They DO know that most of these will wind up on Ebay, right? Or do they just not care?

It was easier and far less expensive to get MOTU stuff in the 80s...
    And $50's for a softcover book? I'd really laugh if it was just one character per page and the size of a DVD case .
    Respect is Earned. NOT Given, Away.

Year Three. Trumps still doing fine...and CLEARED. have a NICE day ;o)

Monday first thing, going to the bank to sort out a loan for purchasing this on ebay..

At least 500 should've been offered through this site. They already have another exclusive and more than enough stuff to keep the hype going at SDCC.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

At least 500 should've been offered through this site. They already have another exclusive and more than enough stuff to keep the hype going at SDCC.
    exactly!

AND IT DOESNT HAVE TO BE NUMBERED, FOILED OR ANYTHING!

Heroic Warrior
    Yeah I can understand Mattel wanting to do this, but not at just being RESTRICTED to 1000 pieces. Insane.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Whats the other exclusive?
    "A Race 2 What And Where We Going?
    We In The Same Boat
    But Eye'M The Only One Rowin
    Last Time Eye Checked U Were Sleepin'
    …but U Can Call Me A Dreamer 2"

>sight<

Here we go...AGAIN...

Hopefully this wont be the end of the world and in the future we may get a reprint or something!
    COSTA RICA: NO ARTIFICIAL INGREDIENTS!