Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Updated: Limited Edition MOTU ART BOOK at SDCC - Official Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Horde08 View Post
    Whats the other exclusive?
    He-Ro with the exclusive SDCC logo stamp on his chest.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    He-Ro with the exclusive SDCC logo stamp on his chest.
    Oh...i thought you ment something other than He-Ro and the Art Book, my bad
    Last edited by Horde08; July 10, 2009 at 06:50pm.
    "A Race 2 What And Where We Going?
    We In The Same Boat
    But Eye'M The Only One Rowin
    Last Time Eye Checked U Were Sleepin'
    …but U Can Call Me A Dreamer 2"

Quote Originally Posted by AnnnaMot View Post
    when can we see some pages ?
    Yeah I am wondering what the quality of the pics are like. I would like to see ONE page just to see what it does look like

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    At least 500 should've been offered through this site. They already have another exclusive and more than enough stuff to keep the hype going at SDCC.
    Good Lord in the morning could you imagine if that happened. If its possible there would be more *****ing because x, y, z didn't happen and person x is holding out and someone's interent connection was slow etc. etc.
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

Smile like you mean it.

1000 copies = Sadness

Of course I would be happy to grab one of this book (If someone can for me, just tell me )

But I really don't understand why there are only 1000 copies.

By doing so this book will of course become a collector peace but it's also just as if Mattel wanted to punish the MOTU fans by preventing most of them to have such a nice item.

I really don't understand the aim of this decision...

I'm really sad for the fans community...

Thank you Mattel!! Big time really!! CON-EXCLUSIVE????WHY?? How many MOTUC fans can make it there?? What about the rest? we all thought it's gonna be a T-Shirt or a mug or something of that nature...but an ART BOOK!! That's really not good...not good at all.

Line for the FANS they said!! I can hear the re-sellers laughing already.

Man, this really blows!! I'm just a simple blue collar guy, busting my tail to make it, and enjoy some MOTU. Only to have to find out about this art book of MOTU masterpieces being made and sold exclusively at SDCC and limited to 1000?! Why not get the full rights to the art, first and then release it to the fans, Mattel? And of course I agree with others, if this is to support MOTUC then why the hell is it not being sold at mattycollector first? I'm pretty disappointed because chances are I'll never get to go to SDCC. Will any of us other fans get a chance to own this book? Sad...very sad.
    2 Cor. 12:9 (KJV) "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmites, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

The Last Wielder of the Sword of Power

Faithful Member of Club Eternia

http://photobucket.com/LastEternian

My beef is,if it is legal reasons that you can only print a thousand. Why not split the number and do 500 at the con and 500 at mattycollector? Something could have been worked out for the majority of fans that won't be at the con. Also if you start this hard to get stuff again with the MOTUC line then it will not be fun,it will become a task and honestly there are more pressing matters in my life besides toys. So Mattel,Matty whoever I am talking to,please don't make me choose. Please allow us to have our cake and yes eat it too.

I do hope the content ends up in digital format somehow now that it seems to be one time only very limited edition. Pity it sounds like that official digital version is ruled out by legal reasons too.

However maybe Mattel could release those parts of the book online that they have full rights to?

Quote Originally Posted by He-Fan View Post
    All I can say is expect to see a LOT of sellers flogging illegal PDF-file DVD-ROMs of the content on the Internet "black market" - which I would've thought would completely negate any legal requirement requiring the book to be made a limited edition. If something gets out into the public domain, there's a good chance it'll stay there!
    I do believe Mattel just primary wanted to do this for the fans as profit probably isn't that huge in this very limited edition (although the price is a bit steep, I must say for 53 page softcover). I seriously doubt black market PDF sellers will profit much as it is as likely that there will be free unofficial versions about too, such is the nature of the Internet.
    Last edited by Invicta; July 10, 2009 at 07:18pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

that price for 53 pages is an absolute insult. I would expect SERIOUSLY high grade paper (and a decent size) for that price.

Hopefully this will just trigger a hardback art book in a couple of years and bundle in the mini comics with it too.

53 pages is a joke for a book that's been 25 years in the making
    Looking for (MOTUC loose or MOC):
    High Priority: Panthor, Ninjor, Two Bad, Filmation Sorceress, Tung Lashor
    Low(er) Priority: Battle Lion, NA She-Ra, Flying Fists He-Man, Ultimate Faker, Ultimate He-man, Ultimate Skeletor

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    Good Lord in the morning could you imagine if that happened. If its possible there would be more *****ing because x, y, z didn't happen and person x is holding out and someone's interent connection was slow etc. etc.
    It's true that some people would still complain, but I think it's the better way to go. Like even if I missed out, I would be happy that at least 500 went to folks on here.

I want that book, JUST one!

The babe with The Power Slackbot's Avatar
    When I first saw the announcement the first thing I wondered was the page count and the price. I'm all about art books; I have everything from Disney & Pixar "Art of..." books to big ol' collections of Dali, Escher, Rodin, etc. A big book of MOTU development art would be such a snazzy addition. But given the lack of care I've seen recently, I was skeptical as to whether it was gonna be as neato-dorito as people seemed to think.

These days, it seems I can't go wrong with cynicism, much as I'd like to. Oh well, I'll go read my copy of "The Art of ReBoot."
    Castle Numbskull
    Masters of The Universe stuff you won't find anywhere else.
    Thank goodness.

Heroic Warrior
    Guess what, Matty? I'm done. I don't think you give a damn about your fans. Keep your "classics", keep Gleek, keep the book--from now on, I'll keep my money.

Just another reason I wish someone else controlled the license to the MOTU line. Look Mattel has been doing this since the 2002 line,then the trouble with the Matty website (that took them how long to correct!!!). This line is becoming more and more of a headache to me. It should be enjoyable not like work.

Quote Originally Posted by wallbie View Post
    With 2 copies per person, I'm glad to see they're at least trying to limit re-sellers. It is unfortunate that I won't get to be at SDCC, but those exclusives are what make it so special. Otherwise, SDCC would be an overgrown comic book shop. LOL I too am curious as to how much it will cost, but I'm not going to freak out if I don't get one.
    You think 2 copies per person per wait in line will limit resellers?

They take all their friends and "employees" along to these conventions, you know. SDCC exclusives are big business for online toy stores, etc., that deal in rare collectibles. And as it's 2 per wait in line, they only have to have 5 of them line up twice to get 20 copies to re-sell. They could even take more employees along or simply keep lining up until the book has sold out.
    Bottom line? Each re-seller/store will have absolutely no problems snapping up between 20 and 50 of this book, should they so desire. And out of a limited run of 1000, the desire will be there. The only way to have any sort of limitation on resellers at these conventions is to either mass-produce a product (reducing the chance for profit) or make it strictly one item per person, with their pass being stamped/punched to rule out additional purchases (this isn't really the kind of item that legitimate fans need more than one of anyway, and even if they did it would still be better to share them around with such a low number).

In fact, taking all things into consideration, I'd go so far as to say half of these will very, very quickly end up in the hands of such people! (Although more on ebay means the cost will go down...)

If the legal limit is 1000, that's fine. We'd rather have the book than not. But this distribution idea is truly, truly awful. I'd have thought that even the idea of half at the convention (with a strict 1 per person limit) and the other half online at mattycollector.com wouldn't have resulted in this sort of outrage. At least then we'd all have a chance at getting one.
    Last edited by SirBushnell; July 10, 2009 at 07:36pm.

SirBushnell SPEAKS!

Get ready for a future with a magical blend of science fiction and fantasy. A brand new legend. A whole new war.
    It's coming...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Wow. Look at all the "long lost faces" around here.

It's amazing how many people responded to this particular news. People that I haven't seen in awhile...a long while.

It's good to see you guys...

Heroic Warrior
    Wish it were under better circumstances, MegaGearMax. Honestly, I feel like some felt about the Republican Party during the last election...

I didn't walk away from MOTU; MOTU walked away from me.

Sadly an art book has come up again and again on these boards as long as I've been a member of it and that's probably why it has garnered so much attention. Part of me think a 1000 copies would probably would be more than enough if it wasn't an SDCC exclusive though.... it seems hard core collectors would be the main buyers of this. I think if they sell out it's going to be a lot of speculators buying them up. But there's already so much on sale... surely resellers have to run out of money some time? I know I'd probably have to pass right now anyway because I'm spening $200 on Doctor Who exclusives alone!

That PlanetEternia.de guy Sir Reilly's Avatar
    Hilarious. Even if I could afford spending 50 bucks (which basically is a good price IF the book's size is huge and they use truly high quality photo paper), I wouldn't get the book due to it being limited to 1,000 and offered only at SDCC.
    Truly a HUGE fan service to offer only 1000 guys (maximum) who attend SDCC, to see never-seen-before art and read behind-the-scenes infos. Just another example of an awesome idea failing in execution.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

I was kinda ho-hum about going to SDCC this year. And other than picking up a couple HE-RO figures (and the VINCENT vinyl figure) haven't really been anxious to get there and wait in any lines.
    This book changes that though. I will be in that line 1st thing Wednesday night and every morning of the con until I get my copy.
    I've got a binder that I kept all my original box art in since I was a kid.
    I'm excited to have the opportunity to own a piece like this.
    Whatever the legal reasons, I hope they work that out so they can make a version (maybe unnumbered) for all He-Fans to own & enjoy.

^ Yeah, I mean it's especially lame that we have to wait to see upcoming concept art for a new live-action movie until someone can illegally scan it for us.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyFacebook
    Now we know a lot of fans are asking why only 1,000 copies and will we ever reprint? The answer (at least for now) is that this was actually a number required. For a variety of legal reasons we were restricted to only create this book if we kept it as a limited edition. That was part of the bargain for getting to do the book itself. It was 1,000 editions or nothing He-Fans.
    Ok, so it has to be a limited release. Why not release it as a He-man.org exclusive or MattyCollector.com exclusive? Why an SDCC exclusive? Isn't attending the SDCC and viewing items in person reward enough for those who attend? I'm so sick of SDCC exclusive items. I'll admit con go-ers deserve that benefit, but what about fans/collectors who don't live close to the geographical area? SDCC is geographically racist!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian-Man View Post
    I was kinda ho-hum about going to SDCC this year. And other than picking up a couple HE-RO figures (and the VINCENT vinyl figure) haven't really been anxious to get there and wait in any lines.
    This book changes that though. I will be in that line 1st thing Wednesday night and every morning of the con until I get my copy.
    I've got a binder that I kept all my original box art in since I was a kid.
    I'm excited to have the opportunity to own a piece like this.
    Whatever the legal reasons, I hope they work that out so they can make a version (maybe unnumbered) for all He-Fans to own & enjoy.
    I really hope so too, Brian-Man. All the really dedicated fans on these boards deserve a chance to own this book!
    2 Cor. 12:9 (KJV) "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmites, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."

The Last Wielder of the Sword of Power

Faithful Member of Club Eternia

http://photobucket.com/LastEternian

I know this is going to sound sarcastic.. and it is actually.
    I enjoy a lot the fact that I can log in many online shops every two months, and order the nlatest volume in this series of beautiful Transformers books: Transformers Generations and get them delivered to me from Japan, with no stress at all.
    All official, full of toys, production art, catalog scans, interviews, etc.

"A big thank you to Toy Guru for pulling together a lot of the research and material as well as all the Mattel artists over the years for so generously giving of their imaginations to create lasting characters in the world of MOTU!"

I love how Toy Guru (posing as fictional character Matty) publicly congratulates himself for a job he received a paycheck for doing.

Are "Attaboys" really that scarce at Mattel that the employees gotta pat themselves on the back, out loud.

I'm not hating, I just find it amusing.

The book, though short on pages and high on price does sound like a swell piece. I'll be getting at least one, but I'll reserve my acolades until after I'm sure it was worth my $50.