Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good News! Tri-Klops and figures after are NOT reseller target items!!!!!! :)

Court Magician

Good News! Tri-Klops and figures after are NOT reseller target items!!!!!! :)

Bad/Good News: Eternian Subscription >>> Reseller Target Items

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I spoke to some resellers. Due to the exclusive figure that comes along with the subscription, it seems a bunch of resellers now may resell subscriptions.

I wonder if this is in response to Mattel fearing they may have extra stock if the resellers don't buy some subcriptions?

I don't know if this is good or bad news.

Maybe the subscription is can shift resellers out of the online sales and into the subscription sales. Thus, leaving the real fans for online 15th sale date?

OR...the subscription is probably the BULK of the production run which will cause LESS figures available for the online 15th sale date?

Ofcourse this is all speculation but I'm extremely nervous to know how Matty's sales do with upped production, subscription and now the exclusive figure for the subscription.

I just hope they aren't overestimating the future success due to the line's current success.

Lastly, I personally think this is an interesting move by mattel. I can see how some people think the secondary market runs this line. So if I have to wonder if this move was an "INCENTIVE" for the Secondary Market so as to up their sub sales?

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by CPMOTU80; July 22, 2009 at 01:59pm. Reason: update

That is good news and hopefully less resellers will mean the figures are available for a longer period of time.

If Mattel has excess stock, so what? That means they'll have extra figures on hand without having to do a second run on them.

It also means people who come in later in the line can go back and order figures they might have missed out on.

So Mattel might not be able to have a constant sell out and they might have figures on hand for months instead of hours/days. I don't see too much of a problem with that.

I think it would be great if the figures didn't sell out and come Christmas time, there was still enough stock of each figure without having to do a second run on them.

It would also be great if there was excess stock available for those who might want to start buying more figures for a number of reason, be it for a MOC or loose collection, for custom fodder, or to buy doubles so they can display figures that come with two heads.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Lizorr, T-Rex, Great Black Wizard, rest of New Adventures, MOP Demons, Dream Mistress.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Ileena, Twiggets, Dragoon, Widgets, Dark Dream, Lady Valtira, Count Marzo, Chimera.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    If Mattel has excess stock, so what? That means they'll have extra figures on hand without having to do a second run on them.
    If Mattel get stuck with figures for many months, all they will see is that the line is not successfull enough and they can either: lower the production/drop the extra items a month; pull the plug to the line (if the situation is really bad).

Heroic Warrior
    Given that some people (like me) absolutely don't want to buy on Matty and are very careful/wary regarding the subscription plan, I think that the fact that resellers won't get into MOTUC anymore is a VERY BAD sign, as it means that MOTUC figures will be even harder to find.

Come on, let's be a bit serious here : who in his right mind would accept to buy from only ONE selling point (Mattel's big CEO's are indeed fierce defenders of this inept and dictatorial "ONE WORLD" concept) and with only a couple of means to pay (all electronic, and I'm totally against cashless society), with all the problems we saw these last months ? Resellers, even though they're irritating sometimes, have a VERY IMPORTANT ROLE in MOTUC's survival : they provide OTHER SELLING POINTS for MOTUC figures (unofficial "retailers", if you want).

Which means that, eventually, the line might lose fans or even die because of these resellers lack of interest for MOTUC.

And I don't think that the so-called "great and marvellous subscription plan" will save the day. It will just bring other marketing problems.

Of course, some guys might find people like me a bit "paranoid", but I guess time will tell if I was right or not to be wary...

That's my opinion, and I do realize it won't be shared by many other fans, but I have the right to this opinion. I don't force anyone to follow my feelings. But let's say I'm a very old MOTU fan, and I was screwed a couple of times by Mattel already. So prudence has become my main motto.

Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    If Mattel get stuck with figures for many months, all they will see is that the line is not successfull enough and they can either: lower the production/drop the extra items a month; pull the plug to the line (if the situation is really bad).
    Yes, from Mattel's point of view, it would be bad if large amounts of stock don't sell out completely. They don't want to get stuck with product they can't move, I do understand that, and like they've said before, they're trying to find that right balance so that they don't have an over-abundance of stock sitting in a warehouse somewhere, while still selling out in about a month's time.

Right now, things are selling out too quickly and it would be great if the product was available more than a couple of hours.

I've been lucky enough to order all of the figures while they were available, but when you see fans saying they're going to quit the line because they haven't been able to get the figures they wanted. Or that potential new fans don't want to start collecting because they're afraid they can't get previous items at a reasonable price, you do want to see the product available for longer periods of time.

I don't think it would be too unreasonable if Mattel was stuck with a couple hundred figures of a certain character after a month's time, that could then hopefully sell throughout the rest of the year.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Lizorr, T-Rex, Great Black Wizard, rest of New Adventures, MOP Demons, Dream Mistress.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Ileena, Twiggets, Dragoon, Widgets, Dark Dream, Lady Valtira, Count Marzo, Chimera.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

I don't think we have anything to worry about. MOTUC will survive without the resellers.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

More and more people are jumping on this line every month, just as I did two months ago.
    With all the problems ordering on Matty it can be a very daunting experience for first timers. Knowing that figures are not going to sell out because of re-sellers not buying up (if that is actually happening) will make purchasing on Matty so much more reassuring and a much easier experience

With the way this line continues to build with more and more people jumping on, they should be able to take the place of any re-sellers that are jumping off

The Cerebral Assassin hhhelmsley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I don't think we have anything to worry about. MOTUC will survive without the resellers.
    I agree.

The line should continue to do well, even if re-sellers don't buy as much then mattel should still be doing ok as long as new people keep coming and stay. If a couple figures don't sell well then Mattel could just decrease numbers again. As long as Mattel just gradually increases to find the perfect alotment then everything will be ok.
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    The bad: I think it will, but it might not be nearly as hot.

The reseller market was used to fuel hype for the line. Now, without the threat of "I gotta buy figures before the resellers take all of the stock!", will MOTUC continue to be red hot?

With the crazy hype, it seemed like even "corny" characters would sell out in a week, if not hours. If we start seeing C and D list characters, could Mattel drop the subscription and ressurect the reseller hype again?

The good: Now the figures might not sell out immediately anymore so casuals can buy figures at their leisure. Or fans can casually buy more figures for customs or to replace broken figures...the trouble with this is that new Mattel is deathly afraid of overstock and might react negatively to large amounts of overstock.

The hype brought in so many new customers.
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; July 17, 2009 at 09:18am.

I may be in the minority but I think the figures selling out in 20 minutes is detrimental to the line.

When a company offers a product - they should make that product AVAILABLE FOR MORE THAN 20 MINUTES ON THE INTERNET!

Even if there have a small surplus, don't you think they could sell those over time?

Avenge The Fallen Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Well, I'm sure some resellers will still buy some of these upcoming figures. Keep in mind this is anecdotal evidence from one convention.

And while it probably is a sign that resellers will drop off, I doubt they will go away completely.

And really, the 'resellers' wouldn't be as active as they have been if there wasn't a market to resell to. Meaning that, even though these figures sell out on MattyCollector due in part to the resellers making the initial purchase, the figures ultimately end up in the hands of the fans who want them. And the resellers wouldn't have been coming back for more all this time if the fans weren't "biting".

So, all this means is that when the resellers start to drop off, the fans will be able to get these figures directly from Matty with much more ease. And maybe the figures will last longer than a few hours. Mattel said they wanted the figures to stick around for about a couple of weeks, so this may head us in that direction.

I don't think we have much to worry about at this point.

Tri-Klops will be the real test since he's less anticipated than Hordak or Man-at-Arms and he will have the largest production run yet. Even if he lasts for 3-4 days or more, I would expect the demand to be there over time. As long as the line continues, there will be late-comers just starting their collections that won't want to wait for Mattel to re-release the sold out figures 8-10 months down the road.

Mattel always maintained that people buying 10 figures were really tiny minority, so by this logic it should not be a big problem?

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Now, without the threat of "I gotta buy figures before the resellers take all of the stock!", will MOTUC continue to be red hot?

With the crazy hype, it seemed like even "corny" characters would sell out in a week, if not hours. If we start seeing C and D list characters, could Mattel drop the subscription and ressurect the reseller hype again?

The hype brought in so many new customers.
    The hype will still be high even with the subscription in place, as there seems to be a pretty big percentage of fans who can't afford to commit or are afraid to commit to a year's worth of these figures. Then just think about all the new fans hopping on-board who CAN afford to lock themselves into a subscription, but who missed the 3 week window of opportunity to reserve their figures for 2010... That's a LONG period of time to be without the subscription option. Plus consider this...

Mattel's probably gonna advertise the MOTUC figures in these budget MYP sets that Mill Creek are putting out at the end of September. We're gonna pick up tons of new fans from that.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by CPMOTU80 View Post
    ... unless it's Teela ...
    That's what I fear. How long will she last? 30 Minutes?

I, for one, will not be buying triklops. I think Matty really did choose the absolute worst figure to increase production on. I think he'll last a few weeks easily. He's without a doubt my least favorite figure in the line thus far
    Fneh's MOTUC wishlist:
    Spikor, MYP Marzo, Snake Armour He-Man, Stinkor
    Fneh's MOTUC needed list:
    King Grayskull, Beastman, Stratos head

I don't believe the big online stores like BBTS will stop ordering the motuc action figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Fneh View Post
    I, for one, will not be buying triklops. I think Matty really did choose the absolute worst figure to increase production on. I think he'll last a few weeks easily. He's without a doubt my least favorite figure in the line thus far

I think he is the best figure to increase production on.
    If I am not mistaken, Mattel have said they initially wanted the figures to remain on Matty for atleast a couple of weeks. If Tri-Klops isn't that popular, and with increased production, he should last much longer before/if selling out
    which is what Mattel wants

Without taking consideration for the first few releases, who remained on Matty the longest before selling out? Was it Stratos in 4 days?
    Last edited by TheFallen; July 17, 2009 at 11:02am.

Court Magician

Lots of thoughts....

....most seem to feel motuc will survive without the resellers.

I agree....to a point.

I agree the line will survive w/o resellers IF production numbers were based on data compiled from the REAL fans and NEW fans who buy these figures for themselves and not resellers.

However, considering the data Matty used to figure out production numbers, I see this possible cycle:

1)increase production and activate subscription (due to resellers, hype, etc.)

2)Online estores, ebay sellers, convention dealers NOT ordering their USUAL
    50-60 and Up copies of every figure (due to increased production and
    subscription)

3)matty decreases production as a result of less hype, some overstock, etc.

4)LESS STOCK THEN BRINGS BACK RESELLERS

...increase production with subscription and.......so on and so forth.
    Last edited by CPMOTU80; July 17, 2009 at 11:12am. Reason: additional comment

Hopefully the amount of figures brought by resellers has not skewed the sales figures for classics to much as most toys the re-sellers brought they managed to sell on so the figures were still in demand, just purchased indirectley through a re-seller as they could not get thye figure off matty maybe due to re-sellers buying them.

Even though the quick sellouts have created some frustrated fans and inflated secondary market prices, it has been great for the line. It has given Toy Guru some solid footing at Mattel to substantiate offering more products, which we should start to see at Comic-Con next week. I can't wait to see what's in store for us and I hope this line lasts long enough to get my MOTUC Horde Troopers, Spikor, and Extendar

Couldn't disagree more. TK's my favorite figure so far, without a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectror View Post
    Given that some people (like me) absolutely don't want to buy on Matty and are very careful/wary regarding the subscription plan, I think that the fact that resellers won't get into MOTUC anymore is a VERY BAD sign, as it means that MOTUC figures will be even harder to find.

Come on, let's be a bit serious here : who in his right mind would accept to buy from only ONE selling point (Mattel's big CEO's are indeed fierce defenders of this inept and dictatorial "ONE WORLD" concept) and with only a couple of means to pay (all electronic, and I'm totally against cashless society), with all the problems we saw these last months ? Resellers, even though they're irritating sometimes, have a VERY IMPORTANT ROLE in MOTUC's survival : they provide OTHER SELLING POINTS for MOTUC figures (unofficial "retailers", if you want).

Which means that, eventually, the line might lose fans or even die because of these resellers lack of interest for MOTUC.

And I don't think that the so-called "great and marvellous subscription plan" will save the day. It will just bring other marketing problems.

Of course, some guys might find people like me a bit "paranoid", but I guess time will tell if I was right or not to be wary...

That's my opinion, and I do realize it won't be shared by many other fans, but I have the right to this opinion. I don't force anyone to follow my feelings. But let's say I'm a very old MOTU fan, and I was screwed a couple of times by Mattel already. So prudence has become my main motto.

there IS a good point made here about resellers.

they DO make the line available to people who may otherwise never had heard of or seen the new MOTUC figs.

case in point, i was at heroescon a month ago and a few people were looking at a sellers MOTUC fig for sale and i heard them say "whoa! what are these? they look kinda like the old MOTU figs but have WAY better articulation and paint aps".

so people that dont scour the internets but go to show, comic shops etc can exposed to the line and become instant fans.

so at least people reselling DOES have a positive
    I want NA Skeletor and Rio Blast and I want them now!

Heroic Warrior
    ya seriously tri-klops is suck lol