Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do Toyguru and Matty not hook up he-man.org? (first-looks, exclusive, etc)

Why do Toyguru and Matty not hook up he-man.org? (first-looks, exclusive, etc)

Read this from thefwoosh.com

http://www.thefwoosh.com/2009/07/gle...owers-activate

Why didn't Toyguru help out some he-man.org fans with maybe some art books, or some other swag?

Is there some sort of behind the scenes stuff that no one here knows about? Or maybe they just don't care for the Org too much?

Unless there is something to be announced here, I can't see any reason why they could do something like that for one site and not another. With the way they handled the art book, then brushed it off when it was brought up to them makes me think they don't really care all that much about the fans opinions here. Lets face it, just about anything Mattel makes will be purchased by most of the people here. So they don't really need to go out of their way to smooth things over. Yes, it would be in their best interest to do so, and would be the right thing to do after all their screw ups, but they just won't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    Is there some sort of behind the scenes stuff that no one here knows about? Or maybe they just don't care for the Org too much?
    Maybe he's tired of us voicing our "opinions".

...but seriously, maybe whatever they worked out, Toyguru thought it would be fair or a good idea.

I'm officially disgusted. A friend of mine, who attended the con could not obtain Gleek when he bought the Wonder Twins two pack for me because they were "sold out". I guess this is part of the reason.
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

Heroic Warrior
    Perhaps they had some Gleeks left over for some reason, and as Gleek is a non-motu related item, they simply didn't think the org would be the best place to bonus these off to, in order to reach the most fans of that particular license? Not everything is a conspiracy necessarily.

Although it certainly would have been very nice to see them do something similar for fans here and offer up some SDCC He-Ro's or especially a few MOTU Art Books. Hell, I know its probably the only chance myself and many others here would likely ever have to score one of these books. But then again, who knows what opportunities the future might bring...

Heroic Warrior
    Well, the reason why Toyguru hooked up thefwoosh.com and not he-man.org on this one is pretty obvious : it's about a Gleek offer (with more diktats, as you'll notice if you read carefully : Paypal payments only, 24 hours to respond to the messages sent, etc.).

Nevertheless, we can also see some irregularities with Gleek regarding the con attendees...

Really, it becomes more and more clear that Mattel did'nt give a damn this year about SDCC attendees, be it for MOTUC or for DC !

Such blatant disrespect deserves a reaction, but what exactly ? A boycott of next year's SDCC ? I doubt this would work. A huge movement of messages of dissatisfaction ? That might be better, but not enough. The only real hard message I think we might send Mattel is not buying their products and giving them the reasons why, but given the high level of addiction here, I doubt this would be a realistic plan...

The org isn't the only website that discusses MOTU & POP, but it is the biggest & most INDEPENDENT website. For whatever reasion Mattel choose to ignore the org's presence when it comes to working with websites to get MOTU exclusives for the fans. We are the online hub for MOTU & POP fans. If Mattel really wanted to insure that real fans (who can't go to the conventions) could get these items over resellers, they would change their mind and work with the org. Val & co have the experience and ability to handel getting such items to the fans farely, quickly, in excellent condition and at a realistic price.

I love MOTUC & I love where the brand is going at the moment. But in truth Mattel is singing one song, but doing a very different dance. They want to insure these figures get to the fans, yet every decision they have made about the distribution of these figures seems to do nothing but exploite fans and play into resellers hands. Now some resellers are good guys who are very fair. I use a guy who is a fellow fan, and have been treated excellently. But I know many fans arnt as lucky.

I wish Mattel would get over whatever attitude they have towards the org and work with val & emiliano to help fans the world over get the exclusive items at conventions. There are loads of MOTU, POP, POG, NA, MYP/MVC 2K MOTU & MOTUC fans wo are active on these boards (who all want a sice of the action). There is no earthly reasion for TG to support TheFwoosh over the org, it's like a second slap in the face after the Art Book & He-Ro issues at the con.

Show Some Respect Mattel, we (the org) should come before a generalised toycollecting website (IMO)!
    Last edited by Angel-T; July 28, 2009 at 04:42am.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    One more thought about the SDCC resellers problem : if Mattel had issued a statement (ahead of time) that a certain percentage of the exclusives would go to charity through some resellers, we could have understood, but we know the reality is very different : these items were supposed to be distributed to the FANS who were visiting the toy convention ! And we know the resellers of these exclusive items were there just to make big bucks, nothing more !

Usually, I don't have a thing against resellers, but not in this precise case, because these items were EXCLUSIVE ITEMS THAT WERE SUPPOSED TO BE RESERVED TO THE FANS !

This SDCC business, in my opinion, is what has the cup of our wrath overflowing, especially after all the vexations and aggravations people experienced this year buying through Matty.

If you're not able to sell exclusives to the fans at a con and in a proper and fair way, then please don't issue a con exclusive at all, and release that figure/item as a traditional monthly figure/item !

This SDCC will remain to me a dark memory for 2009, even though there were great announcements.

Now, back to this Fwoosh thing : we cannot be mad at Toyguru for using another website to promote a DC figure (Gleek) ! This site is about MOTU, not about DC. Yet, like I said before, there are still things to say about the way this deal with Fwoosh was decided, since more con visitors were deprived from an exclusive that had been announced or advertised as being exclusively for the SDCC attendees !

I do not understand why this should call for any MOTU "rage". They did not have any MOTU specific stuff on Fwoosh. And who is to say they do not have plans for he-man.org?

Lets not get upset about Mattel offering non-MOTU stuff on other websites.

Quote Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
    I do not understand why this should call for any MOTU "rage". They did not have any MOTU specific stuff on Fwoosh. And who is to say they do not have plans for he-man.org?

Lets not get upset about Mattel offering non-MOTU stuff on other websites.
    I think the same... erase this thread and open one bout the Fwoosh deals with Mattel in the Other Discussions section, that would be a better place to speak about DC.
    Last edited by Ulisses31; July 28, 2009 at 05:23pm.
    Now available for commissions.

Subscribe to TMNT Redesign Challenge News,
    if you want to be update to every The Technodrome Redesign Challenge.

Check my customs at Figure Realm
    Deviantart - http://gomes31.deviantart.com/
    www.facebook.com/Ulisses31Omega
    www.facebook.com/PauloGomesArt
    If you cannot convince them, confuse them. - Harry S Truman

And who is to say they do not have plans for he-man.org?
    I say it.
    There are no plans so far.
    We asked multiple times and Mattel said no.
    Of course, if Mattel changes it minds, they are more then welcome and we'll do our best as always to help them get any exclusives in the hands of fans

Hah!

Should have said: "Who is to say they do not have plans for he-man.org in the FUTURE".

Heroic Warrior
    Hah!

Should have said: "Who is to say they do not have plans for he-man.org in the FUTURE".
    No offense, but that sounds like a pipe-dream. If one of the co-owners of this great site is confirming that Mattel for whatever reason is refusing to work with the Org then I think that speaks for itself.

If there's a managment change over at Mattel in the future (which I highly doubt due to the success of all these lines) then maybe they might bring a new perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulisses31 View Post
    I think the same... erase this thread and open one bout the Fwoosh deals with Mattel in the Other Discussions section, that would be a better place to speak about DC.

Actually, I am the one that opened this thread and I DID put it in the Other Discussion thread. It must have been moved here by a Mod, which is fine by me. I put it in the Other Discussion thread specifcally because it was a thread that was about thefwoosh primarily.

I do believe that it's completely bogus that Mattel denied Val the opportunity to help out some of the .org memebers every time he asked. And then on the "Preview Night" we all saw what happened where Mattel completely ignored their own rules about 2 art books per person, per visit and NO DEALERS ALLOWED.

And finally after the con, we come across this contest on thefwoosh where we learn that Toyguru hooked up that website with some Gleeks, most likely for promotional purposes. For the record I have nothing against those who run thefwoosh or its forum members. I'm a DC fan too. And I'm happy for fellow fans who might be getting a chance to obtain something they couldn't otherwise get because they didn't attend the con. I just think it's unfair to completely ignore the .org, when it's done so much to help keep fans interest in MOTU alive, despite all of Mattel's follies!
    Last edited by starbasetoys; July 28, 2009 at 10:41am.

Oh for crying out load guys!! Are you having a laugh??

They said there was a limit on the books, there wasn't and hardly any fans got that book.
    We were told there was no deals with any sites, there was and hardly any fans got a He-Ro.

Despite these huge and somewhat insulting gafs, some of you are some how finding in a way to defend Mattel!!!

This is the height of uncoolness people and I'm having a tough time holding in the profanity here!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eamon View Post

They said there was a limit on the books, there wasn't and hardly any fans got that book.
    We were told there was no deals with any sites, there was and hardly any fans got a He-Ro.

Despite these huge and somewhat insulting gafs, some of you are some how finding in a way to defend Mattel!!!

This is the height of uncoolness people and I'm having a tough time holding in the profanity here!!
    I'm so with you. Makes me sick. How many excuses can someone make before it makes them see the light!

Quote Originally Posted by Faceless Glow View Post
    I'm so with you. Makes me sick. How many excuses can someone make before it makes them see the light!
    Amen! Mattel flat out lied regarding the limits and preview night.

I know how you feel. Regardless of the cool new figures that were displayed. It doesn't make up for how Mattel handled their presence at Comic Con. And it's sad that Mattel refuses to even remotely acknowledge it. I will stop here before something is said that I will regret.
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

I have nothing to add.
    I think this sort of thing tells the story all by itself.

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I have nothing to add.
    I think this sort of thing tells the story all by itself.
    Amen to that! I love the toys but hate the mind games mattel are playing! its the ultimate catch 22, I hate the companys politics but want the figures! so Im paying them to insult and disrespect us at every turn.
    Last edited by Staff Of Ka; July 28, 2009 at 09:32am. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Drowning in a Sea of Plastic.

Evil Master of Propane Ghost of Vapor's Avatar
    The .Org has been around for how long? And still it and the fans get a minimum of respect. Just enough chatter and hints to squelch rebellion. But in the end, it's all about the benjamins. Why would any of us think that's going to change now or anytime soon?
    Get Over HERE!: Visit www.retro-daze.com

Trade References: Rodimus75, pH6, Guard Of The South, Vegtablesam, xXBBestXx, Riddle of Steel, AdultCollector

My feedback thread.

Mattel won't tell us their side the story. They won't even acknowledge that it happened. They said prior to the con what the limits are, and that no resellers would be allowed to buy on preview night. Well, that picture was taken and posted on preview night. It clearly shows a reseller with the books and cases of figures. People who were at the con confirmed that the person in the pic worked for Toyrocket. Toyrocket is a reseller.

So...what's Mattel's side of the story? We've asked (some have demanded), but no response has been given to the .org. It was also reported that when asked about it at the con by a .orger, Toyguru's response was simply "That's not my department." (I am paraphrasing, but that's the gist of what was said). At the heart of it all, we just want to know why one thing was said and another happened. And if Mattel messed up, that they at least just apologize for misleading fans about the rules that they themselves were supposed to enforce.

First off, I'm not defending Mattel here because I'm as upset as any of you about the way they handled the MOTU Art Book. It clearly was not the best way to get this to the fans and Mattel didn't need to offer any extra incentives for SDCC attendees. There were plenty of people lined up for all the other exclusives.

Having said that, they are only offering "a few handfuls" of Gleeks according to VeeBee at the Fwoosh. That could be 6, 10, or 20, who knows. It's a nice gesture, but it's not even close to meeting the demand for Gleek. I must also point out that there were representatives from the Fwoosh at Comic-Con who were able to procure these few Gleeks from Scott in person. I don't think Val or Emiliano were at the show in person, but there may have been other members of the He-man.org admin staff.

Regardless, He-man.org is the largest MOTU fan community on the internet and Val and Emiliano have put a lot of time and energy into the website and forums. As a fan, I appreciate their dedication to us through obtaining past exclusives and helping us out whenever they can. Mattel would be wise to acknowledge the community here and make the extra effort to offer some exclusives directly to the fans instead of helping to line the pockets of Mr. "What Limits" Reseller at Comic-Con.

If a company uses the line "we are all about the fans" as a big part of their sales pitch, and then don't deliver or change their minds without notice or explaination, then they deserve to be held to account when fans are very unhappy!!

You reap what you sow!

If a company uses the line "we are all about the fans" as a big part of their sales pitch, and then don't deliver or change their minds without notice or explaination, then they deserve to be held to account when fans are very unhappy!!

You reap what you sow!
    Absolutely! I have been in sales for my entire working life. One of the most important things I have learned is this...

"NEVER OVER-PROMISE AND UNDER-DELIVER!"

Mattel would be wise to learn that lesson