Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637
Results 901 to 910 of 910

Thread: The Pre-Filmation Era in MOTUC Thread

  1. #901
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Waters View Post
    I ALWAYS thought that the pre-Filmation era was an under-used and very fertile time for great stories.

    I loved the idea of the rebuilding of a society after the Great War that laid to waste most of Eternia. It was the perfect explaination for the sci-fi weapons meeting swords and sorcery.

    "The planet's inhabitants are dealing with the aftermath of the Great Wars, which devastated the civilizations that once ruled supreme over all lesser beings. The Wars left behind advanced machinery and weaponry known only to select people. An early incarnation of the Sorceress of Castle Grayskull gives He-Man some of these weapons, and he sets out to defend the secrets of Castle Grayskull from the evil villain Skeletor. He-Man possesses one half of the Power Sword; the second half is possessed by Skeletor...."

    This scenario had SO many potential tales to tell and I always felt like Filmation took the easy way out in turning He-Man into a Superman-secret identity character.
    Couldn’t have said it better! Agreed.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #902
    Widget
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    29


    Skeletor, brooding at Snake Mountain is frustrated at his inability to capture Castle Grayskull.

    "Spells..., magic.... USELESS!!!!! He-Man has an army of troops at his disposal.. We need allies!" says Skeletor.. "But who and from where master" replies Beast Man. "Right under
    our feet"
    says Skeletor. "Go under the mountain, past the dungeon prison cells. You will find that an arachna lurks down there."

    "You want me to find an arachna under Snake Mountain??"
    says Beast Man. "On the contrary, he will find you!.. NOW GO!"
    yells Skeletor.




    As Beast Man travels down the bowels of the mountain, he enters the catacombs where no has entered in centuries.
    Darkness surrounds his canine eyes.

    Come out arachna.. Master summons you. Come out or you will feel the sting of my...



    Before Beast man can finish his sentence, a shadow appears and subdues the beast within seconds..

    "Dinner comes early this night...." But then a voice yells.. "RELEASE HIM!!!"



    "Who dares disturb my feast???"

    "It is I... SKELETOR!!!" A blinding light shines from his staff...





    As the light intensifies, it begins to sear the creatures compound eyes... Skeletor shouts again.. “RELEASE HIM I SAID!!! "My EYES!!. I CANNOT SEE" screams the arachna as he drops Beast Man to the ground.

    "Join me and I will restore your vision... Join me to defeat He-Man!!.. or do nothing and starve in the darkness.."



    Having no other no choice the arachna grumbes…."yes master"



    Skeletor restores the creatures sight. Immediately it grabs Beast Man once again. "Once He-Man is dead, you will be back on the dinner plate"



    "ENOUGH!!! Now go arachna... Find He-Man and destroy him!! or I will retake your ability to see" proclaims Skeletor. The creature looks up and says... "My name is Araneus son of Rakanus"
    Last edited by DerMDrei; September 23, 2019 at 11:48am.

  3. #903
    Heroic Warrior Greenskull's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlantic Canada
    Posts
    1,247
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Waters View Post
    I ALWAYS thought that the pre-Filmation era was an under-used and very fertile time for great stories.

    I loved the idea of the rebuilding of a society after the Great War that laid to waste most of Eternia. It was the perfect explaination for the sci-fi weapons meeting swords and sorcery.

    "The planet's inhabitants are dealing with the aftermath of the Great Wars, which devastated the civilizations that once ruled supreme over all lesser beings. The Wars left behind advanced machinery and weaponry known only to select people. An early incarnation of the Sorceress of Castle Grayskull gives He-Man some of these weapons, and he sets out to defend the secrets of Castle Grayskull from the evil villain Skeletor. He-Man possesses one half of the Power Sword; the second half is possessed by Skeletor...."

    This scenario had SO many potential tales to tell and I always felt like Filmation took the easy way out in turning He-Man into a Superman-secret identity character.
    I also agree with this completely. I remember hearing that there was a new animated series out and I couldn't wait to watch it. I was so excited to get more stories about the heroes of this fascinating post war torn world. When I finally saw it, I was so disappointed. I felt like they completely ignored the story that had captured my imagination and gave us something that had already been done to death.
    Coming straight out of Preternia, tribal chieftess and the original WARRIOR GODDESS, SHARELLA!!!

    Sharella needs her day in Classics. She is the only remaining vintage POG character that needs a figure.
    Support Sharella for Collectors Choice!

    My top 5 wants for MOTUC: Sharella, Hunga the Harpy, Sagitar, Snake Goddess & Red Beast

  4. #904
    Widget
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Massillon, Ohio
    Posts
    3
    This thread is awesome! For the longest time I thought I was one of the only MOTU fans that actually enjoyed prefilmation Eternia. It is so refreshing to see that I was wrong. I grew up in the late 70's and early 80's. One of my fondest memories as a child was cherishing the first series of MOTU mini comics by Donald Glut and Alfredo Alcala that were based off of Mark Taylor's brainchild. I absolutely fell in love with the 1982 apocalyptic Eternia. And I got to admit that I am rather fond of the second series of mini comics based on the kingdom Eternia. I could not stomach the cheesiness of the filmation cartoon. The MOTU Classics line of figures have gotten me back into the property as an adult. In fact, I am currently writing a trilogy of mini comics that expands on Glut's and Alcala's wonderful literature from my childhood. I want to thank the Vaults of Grayskull and the Battle Ram Blog for helping me in this endeavor. Your websites have not only been invaluable to me in this creative process but an inspiration also. I will be sharing my work will all of you upon completion. Long live the true Masters of the Universe!

  5. #905
    Heroic Warrior DC_WARLORD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Skartaris, Inner Earth
    Posts
    2,453
    The heck with the live action MOTU movie. Let's just have Hollywood give DERMDREI a budget and some assistants, and let him do a stop-motion animated MOTU movie. GHOSTDEP, you and LARRY WATERS can be advisers.
    Odd Man Out

  6. #906
    Widget
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    29

    The Pre-Filmation Era in MOTUC Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    The heck with the live action MOTU movie. Let's just have Hollywood give DERMDREI a budget and some assistants, and let him do a stop-motion animated MOTU movie. GHOSTDEP, you and LARRY WATERS can be advisers.
    Haha. I'm super glad you enjoy the short stories I piece together. Just looking at the figures lights up my imagination. I love it!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ghostdep View Post
    This thread is awesome! For the longest time I thought I was one of the only MOTU fans that actually enjoyed prefilmation Eternia. It is so refreshing to see that I was wrong. I grew up in the late 70's and early 80's. One of my fondest memories as a child was cherishing the first series of MOTU mini comics by Donald Glut and Alfredo Alcala that were based off of Mark Taylor's brainchild. I absolutely fell in love with the 1982 apocalyptic Eternia. And I got to admit that I am rather fond of the second series of mini comics based on the kingdom Eternia. I could not stomach the cheesiness of the filmation cartoon. The MOTU Classics line of figures have gotten me back into the property as an adult. In fact, I am currently writing a trilogy of mini comics that expands on Glut's and Alcala's wonderful literature from my childhood. I want to thank the Vaults of Grayskull and the Battle Ram Blog for helping me in this endeavor. Your websites have not only been invaluable to me in this creative process but an inspiration also. I will be sharing my work will all of you upon completion. Long live the true Masters of the Universe!
    Agreed. Mark Taylor felt the same way. He quit Mattel because he always felt He-Man was never meant to be silly and wasn't going to sit around and watch it devolve. Looking forward to seeing your comics!
    Last edited by DerMDrei; October 3, 2019 at 09:57am.

  7. #907
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,754
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostdep View Post
    This thread is awesome! For the longest time I thought I was one of the only MOTU fans that actually enjoyed prefilmation Eternia. It is so refreshing to see that I was wrong. I grew up in the late 70's and early 80's. One of my fondest memories as a child was cherishing the first series of MOTU mini comics by Donald Glut and Alfredo Alcala that were based off of Mark Taylor's brainchild. I absolutely fell in love with the 1982 apocalyptic Eternia. And I got to admit that I am rather fond of the second series of mini comics based on the kingdom Eternia. I could not stomach the cheesiness of the filmation cartoon. The MOTU Classics line of figures have gotten me back into the property as an adult. In fact, I am currently writing a trilogy of mini comics that expands on Glut's and Alcala's wonderful literature from my childhood. I want to thank the Vaults of Grayskull and the Battle Ram Blog for helping me in this endeavor. Your websites have not only been invaluable to me in this creative process but an inspiration also. I will be sharing my work will all of you upon completion. Long live the true Masters of the Universe!
    You are most welcome. Thank you for the kind remarks.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

  8. #908
    Heroic Warrior H.A.L.9000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ba'hee Priss Dimmie Forever!!
    Posts
    1,912
    its too bad with the upcoming movie that it will prob take more from filmation then any other cannon..

    id so much rather see an animated Pre filmation then live action cheese..
    Halloween is not just a holiday.. its a way of life!

  9. #909
    Widget
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Massillon, Ohio
    Posts
    3
    I would be very willing to work with Dermdrei on that project. His work is most impressive. Alas, I don't Sony or Mattel jumping on board. lol

  10. #910
    Widget
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostdep View Post
    I would be very willing to work with Dermdrei on that project. His work is most impressive. Alas, I don't Sony or Mattel jumping on board. lol

    Let's do iT!!! Only because I'm running out of ideas Gonna need Granamyr's help.

    Last edited by DerMDrei; October 8, 2019 at 02:09pm.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •