Thread: Velociraptor mongoliensis head study

Heroic sculptor of toys Battle_Brak's Avatar

Dinosaur Art by Aaron Doyle

This is something I've wanted to do for a while. My brother bought me a resin casting of a Velociraptor skull a couple of years ago. I absolutely love it and it started a rather expensive hobby of collecting replica fossils. For the longest time it just sort of sat on my desk and I'd occasionally pick it up and examine it. Then, last year I had to build a digital reconstruction of this guy for a museum project, and it proved to be absolutely crucial. I painstakingly took detailed measurements, and did several technical drawings of the skull for reference. Once the CG model was completed the skull got relegated to my shelf once again. I've been meaning to flesh him out ever since but hadn't had the opportunity until now.

I'm going to use this as a value study for a full color digital painting, but for right now I think it works well as a black and white life restoration.

And this is the skull drawing I made a while back.
    Last edited by Battle_Brak; October 12, 2009 at 07:30pm.
    Check out my artwork: https://aarondoyle.artstation.com/

Widget
    Beautiful. It's nice to see feathered dinosaurs.

Very cool looks!

Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Will be interesting to see the colour-scheme.

The colour of dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals is something that's interested me in the past... since there's really so little to go after, as to what colour they could logically have had.

What scheme will you be going for btw? Something a little bit like in Jurrassic Park 3, with cold blues and some splashes of really colourful feathers on the head, or more earthy tones overall?

You know... you would probably make for one heckuva' Dino Riders fan and/or comic-artist...

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleBug View Post
    Beautiful. It's nice to see feathered dinosaurs.
    Thanks HumbleBug. I think it's nice to see feathered dinosaurs as well. . I'm glad you used the term beautiful rather than "awesome" or "badass", because far too many Velociraptor drawings look like a demon spawned from the pits of hell. One of my objectives with this piece was that it looked like a feasible animal. I see a lot of fanciful dinosaur reconstructions, and while they can be really cool they often look more like dragons than real creatures. I hope this came across as something you might actually see in nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Horde View Post
    Very cool looks!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    Will be interesting to see the colour-scheme.

The colour of dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals is something that's interested me in the past... since there's really so little to go after, as to what colour they could logically have had.

What scheme will you be going for btw? Something a little bit like in Jurrassic Park 3, with cold blues and some splashes of really colourful feathers on the head, or more earthy tones overall?

You know... you would probably make for one heckuva' Dino Riders fan and/or comic-artist...
    Thanks Predabot!

First of all, I'm not really sure what I want to do about the color. I'm thinking mostly muted colors, but very vibrant cheek feathers. I've been observing my brother's parakeets and I like the way the males puff out their cheek feathers when they are trying to impress the girls. I figure because Velociraptor was a relatively small desert dweller he wouldn't be too flashy (I'm thinking road runner type plumage overall), but he needs a little flair to entice the ladies.

Plus, I am a huge Dino-Riders fan. I'd love to get around to doing some Dino-Riders fan art some time. I'm kind of booked for a couple months though. I am however working on some cool material on fossil horses (Hyracotherium, Merychippus, etc.). I got a few measurements for this project, but I need to head back to the Carnegie for more. I just love playing with bones...

I'm not sure how and when this will be distributed, but I'll share more when I can. I've been meaning to add a section to my site documenting the entire process behind these "paleo-art" pieces, but I can never find the time.

Interesting!
    The gleam of the Power Sword lights your way as you enter the fantastic world of Eternia...

Update:

I just finished up another reconstruction. This time it's a true classic, Triceratops horridus. Who didn't love trike as a kid? Anyway I've reconstructed him using the best anatomical data available to me. He's "clothed" based on recently discovered skin impressions. Not much has been published on these, but apparently Triceratops had banded armor scales on his belly and large platelike scutes on his sides and spine. I've covered other areas in small pebbly scales that were quite common in plant eating dinosaurs. There is also strong evidence for tail quills in these new skin impressions. This odd feature was first discovered in Psittacosaurus, a small primitive relative of Triceratops, and later in Tianyulong, an even more primitive Ornithiscian (the plant eating, beaked dinosaurs). Preservation of quill fragments and follicle-like structures suggest that Triceratops also had this bizarre feature.

Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar
    Hey, I've seen that Triceratops before! I had no idea it was by you, though. You should really add your signature to your art...

Where'd you learn about the Triceratops skin impressions? It's so frustrating to hear news like this (though I guess it's hardly news anymore, I've been out of the loop too long) and not be able to see photos or anything. Do you know if anything has been published about this after your post? It's really exciting to hear that even a huge ceratopsid like Triceratops may have had quills.
    The artist formerly known as Mechthild

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Mechthild View Post
    Hey, I've seen that Triceratops before! I had no idea it was by you, though. You should really add your signature to your art...

Where'd you learn about the Triceratops skin impressions? It's so frustrating to hear news like this (though I guess it's hardly news anymore, I've been out of the loop too long) and not be able to see photos or anything. Do you know if anything has been published about this after your post? It's really exciting to hear that even a huge ceratopsid like Triceratops may have had quills.
    There's a specimen the Black Hills Institute (I believe they nicknamed it Lane) is still working on that has extensive skin impressions. I was working off of hearsay mostly when I did this, but now a couple decent photos of skin impressions have made it on the web. It turns out not everything I heard was completely correct, and there's still a lot left to be revealed on this dino. Unfortunately until a paper is published on this guy everything is pretty tentative.

Overall it looks like Triceratops had much larger hex scales than most ornithiscians. It also seems to have had banded belly scales like a croc. Along its back and sides it had some even larger roughly hexagonal scutes spaced rather sparsely among the smaller ones. There are some structures that look like they were thick quills busted off at the base.
    Last edited by Battle_Brak; November 9, 2010 at 12:05pm.

Evil Witch of Metternia Met-Hild's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Battle_Brak View Post
    I was working off of hearsay mostly when I did this, but now a couple decent photos of skin impressions have made it on the web. It turns out not everything I heard was completely correct, and there's still a lot left to be revealed on this dino. Unfortunately until a paper is published on this guy everything is pretty tentative.
    I managed to find a couple of photos with the info you gave, one of which showed those larger scutes. Let's hope they eventually reveal more. I still haven't seen any photos of the Carnotaurus skin impressions I first read about more than a decade ago! Nor have I seen the diplodocid back scutes.

With Tianyulong, Psittacosaurus and Triceratops all sporting quills, I'm starting to think they should be added on all marginocephalians. I'm not sure what a spiny Pachycephalosaurus would look like, but I have a feeling it's something we just have to experiment with.
    The artist formerly known as Mechthild

Please check out my MOTU revision fan art, and fan fiction: Metternia bios and history & myths.

Now also on DeviantArt: http://osmatar.deviantart.com/