Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When did some fans start using Disco Skeletor and stop using Acid Trip Skeletor? :-D

When I think of Disco Skelly, I imagine a guy at Mattel saying to himself in a sinister way, "Let's see if I can take this amazing sculpt done by the 4 Horsemen and make it look like the stupidest looking toy on the entire toy aisle, that should help kill the line!"
    Good Buyers/Sellers/Traders: Royalt1us, chrisbryan, AGE, UnemployedSkeletor, EwR-Disaster, Kero, jaggerart, Uki, skully, overlordofevil, Neo, He-Bruely, returnofplex, Jonny Tyler, Herewegoagain, lemure77, bigassbuzz. (if I've had a transaction with you and your not on this list, please remind me.)

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacedust View Post
    Totally with you! We never want to be reminded of this terrible creation.

What were they even thinking when they released Disco Skeletor in the first place?!
    Make some money with simple repaints--the same idea that they've always done even up until now. I think the problem was how they did it. In the 80's you could get away with a repaint as long as you changed the head or an accessory and presented it as a new character. The 200X villain repaints were just differently colored for no reason. At least the good guys had the whole "Anti-Snake Men Armor" excuse.

The only 200X repaint I've ever brought was Ram Man, because he was in MYP colors.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

This ugly piece of crap is Disco Skeletor, something we want to stay far far away from in MOTUC:

Mattel will release him as a subscription exclusive after they tell us that the minority of fans at sdcc voted for him.....much like the overwhelming vote to unflock panthor.....cause the fans want the happy meal version of panthor as oppppsed to the ruthless flocked original......lol

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    Disco Skeletor kicked all forms of behind.
    I do hope I detect a sense of irony there

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    I was thinking of picking one up just as a joke
    There were so many sitting on the shelves of my local stores that I considered buying a few in vain hope that it would help clear their stock and they would order some new different characters in!

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Make some money with simple repaints--the same idea that they've always done even up until now. I think the problem was how they did it. In the 80's you could get away with a repaint as long as you changed the head or an accessory and presented it as a new character. The 200X villain repaints were just differently colored for no reason. At least the good guys had the whole "Anti-Snake Men Armor" excuse.

The only 200X repaint I've ever brought was Ram Man, because he was in MYP colors.
    Right. And at least with something like Faker they put a semi-amount of thought into him. Why would Skeletor suddenly go for this terrible appearance? What remote connection did it have with the franchise? Why? WHY?

Coincidentally, the Rammy repaint was the only repaint that I considered buying, 'cos I liked his colours, but when I went to get one, they had sold out (but still had many Disco Skeletors!). I would have loved even more to get him in his prototype orange & red colours though.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Didn't all these repaints come out at the end of the line? I vaguely remember these coming out at the tail end, right before the Snake Men wave, which ended up at Aldi. So, I think the line was already dead when these came out. They were just clearing everything out with wacky colors.

And it's funny.....it seems that a lot of people hated Disco Skeletor, but a lot of people own one.

I bought one because it was so crazy looking, it was cool. I gave it the name "Halloween Skeletor", and he is a perfect Halloween decoration every October.

Heroic Warrior
    Don't be hatin' on Disco Skeletor just because he got some mad bling! That skullface be a player, yo! He got to represent!

Or something...

Whoa hold on there a sec. I like Disco Skeletor better then most of the other versions of Skeletor in 200x and well I am pretty sure he had nothing to do with killing the line because he was not a Peg Warmer, at least not where I am.
    Spin Blade Skeletor was the culprit.

Elder Councilman
    Disco Skeletor is a really weird case cause...every time I look at pictures of him, I kinda want him. Then when I have the opportunity to buy him..I don't want him.
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

Quote Originally Posted by adam03 View Post
    This ugly piece of crap is Disco Skeletor, something we want to stay far far away from in MOTUC
    What it bugs me it's that some people are proposing it as a variant for the MOTUC line (along with smash and spin blade crap).
    REALLY...
    And even worse Mattel seemed to be not at all contrary to the request in answering the WFWTK..more money at very low costs..why do we have to come up with those dangerous ideas??

I'm surprised no one has painted one yet.
    – No comment.

Quote Originally Posted by nato View Post
    Didn't all these repaints come out at the end of the line? I vaguely remember these coming out at the tail end, right before the Snake Men wave, which ended up at Aldi. So, I think the line was already dead when these came out. They were just clearing everything out with wacky colors.
    I think the line was a bit shakey (overkill on some characters, yet near impossible to find other characters), but these repains certainly didn't help things any. I don't get what you mean "clearing everything out" - they still produced them, they didn't literally repaint existing figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Reptile View Post
    Whoa hold on there a sec. I like Disco Skeletor better then most of the other versions of Skeletor in 200x and well I am pretty sure he had nothing to do with killing the line because he was not a Peg Warmer, at least not where I am.
    Spin Blade Skeletor (and Smash Blade He-Man) certainly was a nail in the coffin. These repaints were another nail. One of the big problems was overkill on existing characters (how many variants, including the Spin Blades, can you count of He-Man and Skeletor?). These repaints certainly didn't help things. In the area that I live in in the U.K., and in other areas that I visited, there were TONS of Disco Skels on the shelves - they just weren't clearing.

I'm slightly concerned that there actually seems to be some support for a Classics Disco Skeletor! I never want to be reminded of this abomination. Don't go giving Matty ideas - part of me wonders if the recent Zodak variant was in part down to initial speculation on these boards.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

My son LOVES this guy. Clearly made for the younger ones. If they released him for kids AND enough of the other characters, the line would have been fine. Fruity Pebbles here didn't ruin or destroy 200x, the lack of secondary characters did!
    I will NEVER believe that Mermista beheaded Mer-Man! You sit on a throne of lies.... and smell of beef and cheese, bio writer!!!!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Excuse me while I retch at the idea of this lame wardrobe choice from a Skeletor going through his mid-life crisis.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tumalu View Post
    What it bugs me it's that some people are proposing it as a variant for the MOTUC line (along with smash and spin blade crap).
    REALLY...
    And even worse Mattel seemed to be not at all contrary to the request in answering the WFWTK..more money at very low costs..why do we have to come up with those dangerous ideas??
    I think no one is proposing his inclusion. It's probably a joke, knowing how negatively the fans see him.

Quote Originally Posted by Reptile View Post
    He really pegwarmed at TRU.

Yes, they came out at near the end, not counting the Snake Men figures and Zodak.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Quote Originally Posted by RyDell View Post
    My son LOVES this guy. Clearly made for the younger ones. If they released him for kids AND enough of the other characters, the line would have been fine. Fruity Pebbles here didn't ruin or destroy 200x, the lack of secondary characters did!
    I don't know, he did ruin the line in that this thing was all over the shelves, but other core characters (aforementioned Teela, Prince Adam or Zodak) were nigh on impossible to find.
    The line was already oversaturated with needless He-Man and Skeletor variants - I think "Disco Skeletor" was just one rehash too many!

Yes, they came out at near the end, not counting the Snake Men figures and Zodak.
    I wonder if Zodak was released earlier in some countries - don't know if it's my mind playing tricks, but I seemed to get Zodak quite early on. All of my exampels or Zodak are red box, indicating that it was definitely pre-Snake Men.
    ~jay firestorm~

I think no one is proposing his inclusion. It's probably a joke, knowing how negatively the fans see him.
    Well, actually someone proposed it to Mattel in the last WTFWTK..
    And the answer was kind of "well, if the fans really want those repaints.."
    I know everyone has the right to have his opinion, but we are playing with fire here...what if they start with old ugly repaint frenzy again?

Ugh - why are we talking about Disco Skeletor? When I sum up everything into one image of why 200x ended it's of an employee at Mattel looking at Disco Skeletor saying "this is great!".

I don't want nightmares, let's move on - PLEASE!

I remember buying him, Repaint Mer-Man, Repaint Beast-Man and EVIL-LYN at Kay-Bee toys (which is now closed) at the mall. Ah, memories ...

But that does not mean I want this abomination resurfacing!

One thing that always struck me as so odd was that his skull is orange? WHY??!!!

If that horror of a figure comes out in this line, we can probably safely assume either its ten years from now and all other figures are done. Or that the line is tanking and they are trying to squeeze a few more bucks out of it.

I hope either way it never comes out. I think I have 4 of the horrors in my basement, never to see the light of day again.

My main concern regarding pointless, ugly repaints such as Disco Skeletor, was that "first time" child fans would pick one up, think this was what the line "was all about", and be put off of the franchise for life!
    ~jay firestorm~

Heroic Warrior
    [QUOTE=Spacedust;2249023]I do hope I detect a sense of irony there

I didn't mean there to be any form of irony or even sarcasm.

I was being honest. I like disco Skeletor.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    If that horror of a figure comes out in this line, we can probably safely assume either its ten years from now and all other figures are done. Or that the line is tanking and they are trying to squeeze a few more bucks out of it.

I hope either way it never comes out. I think I have 4 of the horrors in my basement, never to see the light of day again.
    Which begs the question, Why did you buy 4 of them?

As weird as that figure was, it worked. It got people to buy it.

Shining in the Darkness Chronicler's Avatar
    Disco Skeletor was wicked awesome. It was even better when you got repaint Mer-Man, repaint Beast-Man, neon green Tri-Klops, corpse colored Trap-Jaw, and inverse Two Badd together in one bizzare, acid-influence elseworlds lineup of the evil warriors.

Straight up crazy with a capital C, but wicked as heck.
    ATTENTION:
    I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Which begs the question, Why did you buy 4 of them?

As weird as that figure was, it worked. It got people to buy it.
    Actually I was tricked by KB Toys website. It showed a picture of the original release Skeletor. So I ordered four. They sure did pull a fast one on me.