Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When did some fans start using Disco Skeletor and stop using Acid Trip Skeletor? :-D

Quote Originally Posted by DrPAYNE View Post
    When I think of Disco Skelly, I imagine a guy at Mattel saying to himself in a sinister way, "Let's see if I can take this amazing sculpt done by the 4 Horsemen and make it look like the stupidest looking toy on the entire toy aisle, that should help kill the line!"
    Yeah, I can understand some re-paints like Tri-Klops or Beast Man, but this one was pretty much an insult to The 4HM.
    My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Widget
    Most of the other repaints, while a tad garish, made some sense design wise.

But as far as Skeletor, I call him Pimpitor and I keep him out of direct sunlight because the glare can start fires and warp space and time. Yeesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechastar View Post
    Most of the other repaints, while a tad garish, made some sense design wise.

But as far as Skeletor, I call him Pimpitor and I keep him out of direct sunlight because the glare can start fires and warp space and time. Yeesh.
    LOL! Disco Skeletor is a god among action figures!
    I'm hoping for a Disco Skeletor for the next subscription exclusive! Fully flocked!

"I don't like to feel good! I like to feel EVIL!"

No Disco Skeletor pleaseeeee

Freelance Gynecologist masterenglish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    We should work out a deal with Mattel in which they promise not to crank that monstrocity out until the line is dead. At that point, after everything else, from secured Filmation characters, Fearless Photog, Strobo, Queen Marlena, Meteorbs, Gwldor, Twistoid, Rotar, and every figure from NA, POP, and whatever else they can throw at us, then, mark the end of it all with Disco Skelly.
    Quote Originally Posted by skeletom View Post
    I want him. Fully flocked.
    LOL! these are hilarious!

i would love him in MOTUC!

the King needs his Queen and pet! Queen Veena and Battle Lion for MOTUC!

For the Love of Illumina & her Cat Sleetah!!
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/156251727799742/
    my Feedback http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205099
    my sale page http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=205041

Most everything I'd like to say has already been said, but I'll say it again anyway.

Disco Skeletor came out when the line was already on it's deathbed. He didn't cause the line's death, he was a result of it.

SB fig's and deluxe fig's warmed some pegs here until a year or two after the line died, but disco Skelly disappeared quickly.

Disco Skelly is most definitely one of the best repaints ever! Most 200X variants were balls, and that's why the line died. They were gimmicky, lame and made no sense. DS makes even less sense, but he was off the wall enough to be totally righteous anyway. All just MHO. He should be included in MotUC for sure... twice. He'd be a bonus figure anyway, so no worries about him taking a slot from someone more deserving like, say, the infinitely awesome Plundor the Spoiler.

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    I remember Disco Skelly turning up in Australia, and just thinking 'What the...'
    I see him as a total anomaly, almost a disgruntled Mattel employees way of saying 'Fine, your not buying the figs, then heres something to complain about!'
    and it worked! I actually like 'Blood Skeletor' but the only repaint I really like is Two bad, its a cool idea, but not a smart one for a line already overweighed with repaints and varients!

Heres another reminder of the glitzy glory of our Guest of Honor!

(what surprises me is that they took the time to paint armor details orange? its not like it stands out on the gold!)
    Drowning in a Sea of Plastic.

That PlanetEternia.de guy Sir Reilly's Avatar
    I recall the German toy fair in Nόrnberg, where a Mattel employee claimed that "Disco" Skeletor actually was one of the most popular figures in the US.
    "Why's Dragstor riding on Night Stalker?" "Cause he can."

Acid Trip Skeletor was one of the more confusing repaint variants from the whole 200x line.
    Ugh, I hated his color scheme. Made little to no sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Acid Trip Skeletor was one of the more confusing repaint variants from the whole 200x line.
    Ugh, I hated his color scheme. Made little to no sense to me.
    exactly. out of all the repaints i was perplexed with this.

it is as if mattel had random prototype skeletor parts laying around and someone combined them all and passed it off to the production team as a .new skeletor toy that is going to be made. however, no one got the joke and it just kept going and going until it got made all because of an initial joke.

i still have no idea how this figure got made other than the reason i stated above since you'd think a better color scheme would have been used.
    cogito ergo doleo

I still can't believe they seriously really gave him a black pajama with chromed torso. I understand that they wanted to make the figures look less "naked" due to some kids complaining. But this probably was the worst solution to the problem, even topping the S/M gloves of the Tri-Klops repaint.

At least they didn't advertize him in the cartoon. I still can't get over the fact that so many season 2 episodes focused around promoting some of the worst 200x toys.

A golden Skeletor actually could have had some potential if done right. Leave the armor parts gold. Then, they could've painted the figure all black or at least in a darker gold tone, added a golden fire armor helmet and Keldor cape, and it could've been the 200x version of the movie's "God" Skeletor. Wouldn't mind a cartoon episode where Skeletor actually got ahold of some of Grayskull's powers for a short time.

I really like some other repaints, though. I'm quite happy about Blood Skeletor, Ice Armor Skeletor, Reversed-Colors Sy-Klone and Cartoon Colors Ram-Man. And Tattoo He-Man was the best part of that horrible Dragon Walker vehicle.
    Last edited by Sir Reilly; November 9, 2009 at 11:35am.

The black on his body against the light-blue hands and feet is bothersome enough.
    But the thing that throws me off the most is the metallic torso.

The figure you love to hate!

I'm like in the variants you like.
    I dunno why, but that red Sy-Klone was neat IMO. It was almost like he could have been a brother of Sy-Klone or something. I never read the stories hear that fans wrote about him. But I should, as I'm curious what kind of back story fans came up for the repaints.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I always thought he was named "Halloween Skeletor"...

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

I used to call em halloween skeletor, but somewhere along the line that changed to disco skelly but i never bought one, and i dont regret that either.
    with that said, i will refuse to buy one if made in motuc. it is a bad bad bad idea. also, if he was ever revealed to be a subscription exclusive figure, itd justify me in cancelling that years subscription and the fact that mattel even CONSIDERS the option of thinking about if it is something that the fans want concerns me on the highest of all levels

every time i saw him in the toy stores a piece of me died inside
    It always takes me 10 minutes to figure out how to edit this signature

I want meteorbs dang nabbit!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    I still can't believe they seriously really gave him a black pajama with chromed torso. I understand that they wanted to make the figures look less "naked" due to some kids complaining. But this probably was the worst solution to the problem, even topping the S/M gloves of the Tri-Klops repaint.

A golden Skeletor actually could have had some potential if done right. Leave the armor parts gold. Then, they could've painted the figure all black or at least in a darker gold tone, added a golden fire armor helmet and Keldor cape, and it could've been the 200x version of the movie's "God" Skeletor. Wouldn't mind a cartoon episode where Skeletor actually got ahold of some of Grayskull's powers for a short time.
    really? kids complained? i don't really remember this. jog my memory please.

yes i would have liked an all gold one to resemble the movie "god" skeletor but if they called him that then we'd have a whole dif group of parents and whatnot complaining.

The black on his body against the light-blue hands and feet is bothersome enough.
    But the thing that throws me off the most is the metallic torso.
    yup it is the hans and feet and ESPECIALLY the torso that distract me. if they would have made it all metallic gold that would have been a pretty awesome figure.

but like i said it looks like they rummaged through a parts box at the factory to play a prank on the design team and it backfired.
    cogito ergo doleo

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    but like i said it looks like they rummaged through a parts box at the factory to play a prank on the design team and it backfired.
    LOL! True enough.

It seems like it could be anything.
    Like the factory used a test shot by mistake as a final,
    or they had a test shot lying around during child testing, and some kids loved it,
    who knows.

"Calm like a bomb." thexxwatcherxx's Avatar
    I think I can take some credit for Disco skeletor. I remember everybody calling that Skeletor every name in the book. I had been using Disco Skeltor because the gold reminded me of the gold lame and garish shiny clothing they used in the 70's disco era. I remember that poll too. I think i suggested it and it just stuck. BTW I love Disco Skeletor. I own mine proudly. He's so gauddy, so bad, that's he's good! Thanx Paul~
    Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

Oh come on guys... you know the only better variant figure than Technicolor Yawn Skeletor would have been if they made "Hide the Pickle Teela!"

But serriously who ever signed that last form that okayed this figure of Skeletor in his early sunday morning pajamas needs to get kicked... cause that is the only way I could see him wearing something like that... you all know what I'm talking about too... you sleep in a little late and your wearing jogging pants and a t-shirt that didn't fit you in jr high, but you kept it... and the doorbell rings... so you frantically try to find a robe or something to cover up what your wearing... yeah thats what this figure looks like to me.
    He weeps, for he has but one small tongue, with which to taste an entire world!

Lots of original custom t-shirts and stickers available @ http://www.redbubble.com/people/mightyrain
    Many designs based on Masters of the Universe, Classic video games and random movies/cartoons/movies we all know and love.

As long as I've been around, Acid Trip Skeletor was the popular nickname for our favorite/not-so-favorite crazy colored Skeletor repaint.
    Heck, we even put it to a vote back in the day when no one could figure out what to call it and there were nicknames everywhere, and I don't even remember Disco on the list of option (it may have been there, I just don't recall). Acid Trip was what most fans decided on.

So... Disco...? No offense to folks using it, it's just that that nickname doesn't really fit.
    He doesn't have a disco ball, he's wasn't posed in a disco stance in his package, etc.

I mean, call him what you want, most folks do.
    I'll always call him "Acid Trip Skeletor" as that seems to be what he is: an acid induced nightmare.
    But... why Disco?
    I don't get it.
    Never heard of the Acid Trip name before. Always heard Disco Skeletor cause of the all the gold bling he has on. always thought they thought it might be a good repaint and play of the way Skeletor looked at the end of the MOTU movie. Of course, if they would have made his hood gold and the body black. He would have actually been a cool repaint!
    "I mark the hours every one, Nor have I yet outrun the Sun. My use & value unto you, are gauged by what you have to do."
    Enscribed onto Hermione Granger's Time Turner from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    really? kids complained? i don't really remember this. jog my memory please.
    Mattel brand managment (I even think it was Jeremy Padawer himself) said that in one of the Q&As back then. When things went downhill, Mattel tested the figures with kids again, asking them what was wrong. Apparently, some responded that the figures looked so naked with their bare chests and all. That's why Mattel added that silver vest onto Megapunch He-Mans chest at the last second and painted some of the repaints as well as Shield Strike He-Man and Sky Strike Stratos to look as if they wore clothes underneath their armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    Mattel brand managment (I even think it was Jeremy Padawer himself) said that in one of the Q&As back then. When things went downhill, Mattel tested the figures with kids again, asking them what was wrong. Apparently, some responded that the figures looked so naked with their bare chests and all. That's why Mattel added that silver vest onto Megapunch He-Mans chest at the last second and painted some of the repaints as well as Shield Strike He-Man and Sky Strike Stratos to look as if they wore clothes underneath their armor.
    this DOES sound vaguely familiar now that you say that.

this was the kind of thinking that stopped MOTU dead in its tracks rather than Mattel sticking to their guns.

product testing is about as useful as using chicken bones to foretell the future. I know since this was one of my first jobs. it was rare to get the same outcome twice.
    if the outcome DID happen again and again, the outcome was obvious from the beginning without any testing needed but don't try and tell THEM that common sense prevails. it is TEST results that matter.

focus groups kill LOTS of things like movies, figures, books etc. they end up getting killed or watered down to the point they might as well have been killed
    cogito ergo doleo

Is it worth asking in a WTFWTK who was responsible for this repaint and how quickly were they fired afterwards?

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Disco Skelly has earned his reputation and place in the 'What were they Thinking?' catergory. so much so that I could imagine them doing a bonus MOTUC repaint down the line, just because he is so 'Kitsch'.
    Drowning in a Sea of Plastic.