Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Our efforts to fix "bobble head" issues

Our efforts to fix "bobble head" issues

Hey He-Fans,

We're well aware that a lot of fans are receiving Goddess figures that have a "bobble head" effect. Here is the 411 on that:

In order to have removable heads, the pin used to connect the head and neck is creating the undesired effect. We've already looked into it and here are two options we can explore to correct this:

1: Make the head non removable on future female figures (no future females will have a second head option)
    2: Use a larger pin, but lose all up and down articulation. Head will only move left and right.

What are your thoughts folks?

TG

Are you saying that no future females will have a second head already, or that they will not have second heads if we go with that route?

If that's the case, I'd call that a deal-breaker, really. In fact. neither option sounds great to me, but I've had no problems with the heads so far. (Of course, I've yet to open my Goddess figure. She was wrapped for Chrsitmas, and I haven't cracked her out of her plastic prison yet! I'll keep you posted.)

I hope you had a fantasmo holiday TG!
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I have to go with Option #2, which is the lesser of two evils.
    I too agree that Option #2 would be the better choice, if we had to choose.

I go with Option 2. My Teela figure basically already has that option, where her head won't look up, basically stays level. I don't have a problem with that.

I think a majority on here, like me, would like to have the extra heads, when necessary. There is still some hope for a helmetless Evil Lyn!!

Toyguru, the EARLY versions of Teela (those with the larger pegs in the elbows) don't have a bobble head. It's only the latter versions as well as all samples (apperently) of the Goddess that have this problem. Can't you simply go back to Teela version 1?

My Teelas are perfect!
    JOIN THE GREAT REBELLION - COLLECTOR'S CLUB TODAY!
    http://www.facebook.com/TGRClub

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Option 2, please.

Too bad The Goddess won't benefit from this...

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Toyguru, the EARLY versions of Teela (those with the larger pegs in the elbows) don't have a bobble head. It's only the latter versions as well as all samples (apperently) of the Goddess that have this problem. Can't you simply go back to Teela version 1?

My Teelas are perfect!
    Yeah Arthur hit it right on. My Teela doesn't bobble head but my Goddess does.
    Hey Super7 I'm looking forward to what you do for Classics and I'm awaiting these figures!

Spinwit, Gepple, Alcon, Meldoch, Krax, Kayo, Stridor, Kittrina, Melaktha, Drissi, Master Sebrian, Sagitar, Vizar, Nocturna

NA DESERVES A MINI SUB!

My Facebook, check it out!

Is it not an issue of the hole in the head being too large for the peg? Maybe just make the hole a little smaller and tighten up the bobble? If putting a plastic band on the ball tightens up the head then making the hole smaller should also tighten the head and not affect articulation, right? Please correct me if I'm wrong. I would also have to agree to go with option #2 if that is all that can be done.

Classic & 200X fan
    I say option 2 to as well Toyguru.

Thanks.
    big geek

NEITHER!!

Using one of the clear elastics around the base of the peg solves this problem. You guys used this trick on the first run of Skeletor. My first Skeletor came that way.

The female figures are GROSSLY limited already. And while you probably HATE me right now for my reaction to your year-in-review, I beg you not to choose EITHER of those options, and instead, just do what you did with the first release of Skeletor and put the elastics around the peg. You can't see it, and it solves the problem
    A Want List: Starburst She-Ra doll, Slamurai, Concept Snake Troopers, Slime Pit He-Man

Mini Comic Tri-Klops, Toy costume Catra, Enchantress, Kayo, Joya, Lt. Andra, Storm, Twiggets, Melaktha, Spirit, Kothos, Master Sebrian, Scrollos, 200X Sorceress, King Miro. Filmation: Adora, Marzo, Leech, Entrapta, Glimmer, Bow, Catra w/ Cat Form, Mermista, Moss Man, Kobra Khan, Whiplash, Multi-Bot

From those two options, #2 is my choice.

- Joni -

Hmmm ... well this depends on how many female figs I want are planned to have two heads...

But (if there is no other way) in general I would go for option no. 2.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    NEITHER!!

Using one of the clear elastics around the base of the peg solves this problem. You guys used this trick on the first run of Skeletor. My first Skeletor came that way.

The female figures are GROSSLY limited already. And while you probably HATE me right now for my reaction to your year-in-review, I beg you not to choose EITHER of those options, and instead, just do what you did with the first release of Skeletor and put the elastics around the peg. You can't see it, and it solves the problem
    My Skeletor didn't have any elastic on the peg and his head is fine. As far as option #2, Teela and Goddes barely have any up and down articulation as it is, so we wouldn't be losing much with Option#2.

Quote Originally Posted by jzguitars View Post
    As far as option #2, Teela and Goddes barely have any up and down articulation as it is, so we wouldn't be losing much with Option#2.
    My thoughts exactly. My Teela didn't have the bobble head, but she had no upwards range whatsoever. The movement that we got on that release wasn't really anything to write home about.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I must agree with Swift Wind and Arthur. My Teela does not have a "bobblehead" effect. She is quite tight (in the neck region). But if I have to make a choice with the given options then I would have to choose Option #2. I'd rather have a second head (in case I don't like the one on the figure) and then fix the bobblehead effect with a piece of paper or whatnot.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    NEITHER!!

I'm going to also confirm that my Skeletor, (original issue), did come with the clear "rubber band" wrapped around the peg. I always wondered why it was there and I have never tried to remove it since it doesn't hinder any movement with Skeletor's head. If that can be an option, and an easy fix, I'd be ok with that too. If not, I'll stick with my original vote of option 2.

Out of those options option #2 is better. But even better would be if you came up with an option #3 (which allows multiple heads and up and down movement).

EDIT: Thank you for asking our feedback!
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Whatever option ends up happening... I just don't wanna have to rig anything to make it work properly.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Heroic Master of Cats Judeh Simon's Avatar
    How about neither? My 2 Teelas don't have a bobble head. And I can never get them to look up or down already. If you're making fans choose between limiting mobility even more on female figures or loosing the awesome extra heads option, i'm going to agree with most people that are opting for even less mobility.

So, for me:

2: Use a larger pin, but lose all up and down articulation. Head will only move left and right.
    Artist, illustration and comic books. Happiest when creating. Geeky husband and father.

My thoughts exactly. My Teela didn't have the bobble head, but she had no upwards range whatsoever. The movement that we got on that release wasn't really anything to write home about.
    I'm with you and jzguitars; Teela and the Goddess have very little up and down range in the neck, so I'm not missing much if they take that out. Heck, I'm curious to try out my method for freeing up that movement with G.I. Joes: I just cut a bit inside of the ball joint. It's enough to keep the cup tight on the ball, but also gets rid of excess that keeps it from moving up and down. I'm just afraid to see if it works here too, since these are expensive and hard to get.

As as for the rubber band fixing the problem all together: My Goddess has NO up and down movement after the rubber band treatment (while Teela at least has a tiny amount). I don't see how the rubber band is any different from option two, other than option two possibly fixing the long-neck look.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Evil and Reads Everything Straight Edge's Avatar
    If there's no other choice, option 2 is the only one.

Dropping alternate heads for future females would just be a bad idea... They're going to be limited enough as it is (especially POP who are still an unproven seller). If an extra head could ratchet up interest and sell double figures (for those that want both heads on display like I do), there's no reason to cut out that possibility.

Toyguru,

Thank you for coming to the .org and asking for our feedback on this issue. Much as you did with the MOSS MAN flocking issues. We really appreciate you considering our thoughts on these matters.

As for my opionion...

OPTION #2! I'd rather lose a little neck articulation (and there isn't much to begin with on Teela anyway), than to not have the option for additional heads on female figures ever again.

As far as the suggestion that others have made for the elastic band to be put around the peg to "tighten" the head/neck up, I don't think that would be a very effective solution for a mass release. What if a fan/collector removed the elastic band and then wasn't able to re-wrap it around the peg correctly? Then their figure would be a bobble head from here on out.

Not every fan is as adept at "fixing" figures as some fans are. In fact, I seriously doubt that every figure would come from the factory with the band put in place EXACTLY how and where it is supposed to. Using the elastic band would just be temporary fix at best is many cases most likely.

Whatever option ends up happening... I just don't wanna have to rig anything to make it work properly.
    My point exactly!
    Last edited by starbasetoys; December 27, 2009 at 12:46pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

That's a great point, Straight Edge. If characters who might not be as successful ome with two heads, it is likely that a few more will be sold by those who have to own doubles in order to display both looks on their shelves/playsets/whathaveyous.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Quote Originally Posted by starbasetoys View Post
    OPTION #2! I'd rather lose a little neck articulation, than to not have the option for additional heads on female figures ever again.
    ToyGuru,

I agree with what was said here. I actually don't have a problem with either of the Teelas I own. But, if there is to be a choice made...I would rather have the option of a second head.

Thanks for coming to the boards to help figure this one out. Anything else you want to ask us about?
    Positive Transactions-greyskull1, Kero, miasboytoy, MOTU_Maniac, Big Country, Beastmangler, biged98, EwR-Disaster, masterenglish, Radrcks, Son Of Keldor, myers04, tattoojunkie74, He-Cowboy, Judeh Simon, Dr Kain, BrandnChicagoHorde, JonnyTyler, Mern-Ra, wolvie3579, Toygiant, Grayskulls Fakor, Villa-man, Fisto69, Mdoclar, degra, Dawg88, Jii Dee & Many More Orgers...

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Toyguru,
    thanks for looking into this issue. Hear me out as I'm a frustrated fan.
    I love MOTUC but the whole female buck limitation in this otherwise breathtakingly amazing toyline is getting a tad ridiculous. Female characters are already robbed of abcrunch articulation, waist articulation, two pieces outfits and now we must choose between getting head articulation and extra heads? Neither options seem convincing. How about MATTEL gives females the exact same neck movement that the males have? How difficult is it really? Stop cutting down the costs on females or soon they won't even move anymore and be like mcfarlane statues! Marvel legend figures had it figured out years ago it disappoints me that a company as huge as Mattel cannot fix such a minor thing.

Best, and happy holidays Toyguru
    Last edited by oulala; December 27, 2009 at 01:07pm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.