View Poll Results: Should the new Masters of the Universe movie be in 3D?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, That would be awesome!

14 63.64%
  • No, that's too gimmicky and takes away from storytelling.

8 36.36%

Thread: Should the new MOTU movie be in 3D?

Heroic Master of Tugging CarKrash's Avatar

Should the new MOTU movie be in 3D?

So, to join the rest of the world.. I finally went out and saw Avatar last night. To enjoy the film at it's best, definitly see it in 3D or don't go see it at all. The movie was stunning visual masterpiece. When watching.. I thought.. THIS IS HOW THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE MOVIE SHOULD BE!!

I think a 3D eternia could very well be visually amazing, and could be the gimmick needed to ensure a succesful Masters of the Universe movie. However, gimmicks like these may take away from the storytelling.. Although it doesn't really have to..

Soo... Do you think they should make the MOTU movie in 3D, or should it "stand out" on it's own without the use of glasses!?

Eternian Historian of Art Lex_Alfa's Avatar
    I don't like 3D movies, but I guess that if everyone does their movies in 3D we should have it too
    Behold the gaseous stench of Skeletor's breakfast burrito!
    Robot Chicken dixit

Don't care, to be honest.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"

I've seen practically every 3D movie that's been released since this trend made a comeback a few years ago(including Avatar). I feel the only things it brings to the movie is making the colors darker and giving the illusion of layers to some of the scenes. Most of the time, the current 3D is so unnoticeable, I'll forget I'm even watching a 3D movie until I have to take the glasses off as I leave the theater. On the other hand, if they went with the retro-style 3D where they make things look like they're coming out of the screen, it would just look cheesy.
    LONG LIVE LOU SCHEIMER!!!

JOIN THE GROUP...

FILMATION FANS FOREVER!!!

I vote for yes. The 3D in Avatar was stunning, actually better than the film itself. As has been said, this new type of 3D doesn’t distract you at all. Its just there to add depth. After a while, you become so accustomed to it, that you genuinely forget you’re watching a 3D film. At least that’s how I felt for Avatar.

Plus, it will benefit the film in a financial sense as well. I know that that’s a lot of people’s main worry, that a He-Man film may well flop. 3D films usually make good amounts of money because of the inflated ticket prices.

I think it should be 3D if they can make it right.

I don't think 3D was "gimmicky" in Avatar, because that was the point of the whole movie - they transport themselves into those avatars and get into their world. The audience does the same thing. And, to be fair, that is what any movie does - it transports you into another world - especially if it is scifi or fantasy. So, if they can do 3D well, it can help the story not take away from it. But only if they make it good! If they can't they they better stick with 2D

This needs an "I don't give a rat's a$$" answer. 3d is a gimmick, has always been a gimmick, will always be a gimmick. That being said, if done well (ie Avatar) while stil a gimmick, it doesn't detract from the movie in anyway either. It just doesn't add anything.

I just want a flippin movie first.
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tycho View Post
    This needs an "I don't give a rat's a$$" answer. 3d is a gimmick, has always been a gimmick, will always be a gimmick. That being said, if done well (ie Avatar) while stil a gimmick, it doesn't detract from the movie in anyway either. It just doesn't add anything.
    Can't agree with this. 3D has added tremendously to Avatar. As much as I liked that movie, the story was pretty superficial and naive. Plus, we have seen that same story so many times. Avatar's value is in the way this story was presented - immersive 3D and next level motion capture technology were a big part of it.

I certainly hope they come up with a good story first - that is the most important thing. But after that, if they can come up with some cool technological device (such as well done 3D) it will certainly add to the story.

Heroic Warrior
    Not fussed either way myself. Avatar's a good example of how 3D can just be incredibly distracting, but as of now, everyone has the choice to see a movie in a 3D cinema or not. Based on recent attempts, I'd personally choose the latter, so it really makes no difference to me whether it's in 3D or not.

Heroic Warrior
    I just want the movie!!! either way I will be pumped to see it

Heroic Master of Tugging CarKrash's Avatar
    It's been announced that the Spiderman reboot will be in 3D. It appears as though this 3D concept may be the future of all big blockbusters!

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    If the He-Man movie does get shot in 3D, I think it'd be pretty cool if the first official trailer was based on the Filmation cartoon intro.

What kind of question is that? Yes, of course!!

Shrugs

If they do, fine, but I'd rather see the money go into the effects and sound. If they do it anyway, I'd like to be able to see a 2D version as well. Could be cool though.

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    The advent of digital cinematography has cut the cost of stereoscopic (3D) filming to not really much more than standard filming.

Before digital filming, you not only needed to double up on cameras, but use twice as much film stock for the movie -- which is what really drove up the cost. Now all that's needed is some extra hard drives/tape.
    Last edited by Captain Marvel; February 17, 2010 at 01:03am.

I don't think it necessarily detracts from a movie, but it is still a gimmick, and having seen Avatar, I firmly stand by the "it doesn't add anything either" view point.

It's a gimmick. A fun gimmick but I didn't see how it added to the movie experience. It's cool and much better than it used to be but like the poster above, it didn't do anything to make Avatar any better. I'd be more excited about an IMAX version with full IMAX ratio for certain scenes.

Yes! I love how it's being used now!
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy