View Poll Results: Do You Smoke?!

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! But only a few a day!

    9 5.52%
  • Yes! About 10 a day!

    6 3.68%
  • Yes! About 20 a day!

    8 4.91%
  • Yes! 30 or more a day!

    1 0.61%
  • Yes! But only at parties and such!

    2 1.23%
  • No ... never!

    118 72.39%
  • I did, but I do not anymore!

    19 11.66%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 164

Thread: Do You Smoke?!

  1. #51
    Architeuthis dux Squid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,900
    Why is it that most ppl think all smokers want to quit?!
    I have no desire whatsoever to quit, if they will
    become my death someday ... so be it!


    Quote Originally Posted by starbasetoys View Post
    And for the record...not only do I not smoke, but I also don't drink, don't do drugs, and never have tried any of them! I have better sense than do that to myself or those around me
    I feel that you are ignoring me, but, bravo, righteous brother, bravo!

    ------------

    I've edited out some strong language,
    I keep forgetting that I am on the .org!
    Last edited by Squid; January 25, 2010 at 04:11pm.
    Armageddon will soon be here,
    the sinners will meet their fate.
    But I am calm and without fear,
    as I feed upon my hate.

  2. #52
    Mix 'n' Match Monger wallbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Tulsa, OK
    Posts
    1,843
    Judging by the results of this poll, I'll say what I said in the thread about Paul McCartney's comments about animation at an award show: looks like I didn't listen to He-Man at a museum I went to as a kid when he told me not to smoker, do drugs, talk to strangers or things of that nature.

    Sorry to be a stain on the boards constructed in your honor, He-Man.

    Still, He-Man shouldn't be quick to wag his finger at me because I'm a loyal Club Eternia subscription holder!!

    It's crazy because I think the last time I went to that museum in Oklahoma City, that picture of He-Man was still there and when I pushed the button next to it, John Erwin's voice delivered the same message I heard when I was like four. That was about a decade ago.

  3. #53
    The Demon of Screamin' JonnyTyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    1,001
    Quote Originally Posted by starbasetoys View Post
    Exactly! Again I'll say that the person you are responding to can't believe it because they can't smell at anywhere close to the capacity that most non-smokers can. They've deadened their sense of smell and taste so horribly by their repulsive habit.
    O.k., if you're traveling 60 miles per hour down the high way, there is no way in hell that the smoke coming out of the car infront of you has a CHANCE of going into your car. Like i said earlier, unless you were tailgating somebody, and all, let's just say 4 passengers in that car are all smoking, There's not going to be enough smoke left in the air to penetrate your car. That's just absurd!

    Now, if you're sitting at a red light, I'll give you that you may get a faint wift in the air, but when you're driving along, with wind pushing against you, and there's alot of it, I can't see how you can smell that smoke.

    And FYI, I'm a chef by trade. I can smell, and taste VERY well. I've been smoking since i was 16, and I'm 27 now. And I can taste, and smell actually better now than I could when i was younger. It's my job, and my passion to make sure my food tastes and smells the bast it can. And I'm very good at what I do!!
    Last edited by JonnyTyler; January 25, 2010 at 07:02pm.
    Please Give My Vintage Want To Buy List A Look: https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...ge-Accessories
    Here's my Trader's Review too: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ght=Jonnytyler

  4. #54
    Outlaw Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Monroe, LA
    Posts
    6,490
    Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    Why is it that most ppl think all smokers want to quit?!
    I have no desire whatsoever to quit, if they will
    become my death someday ... so be it!
    Well, a lot of us don't like it, and we just can't see why anyone would. I know people that don't smoke any more that claim the smell of cigarette smoke now makes them ill. They're always trying to get their friends and relatives that still smoke to quit. Obviously, though it doesn't make sense even to me that everyone who smokes would want to quit - otherwise everyone who smokes would *try* to quit.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

    "From Hollywood to Babylon, holy war to kingdom come
    On a trail of dust and ashes, when the burning sky is done
    A tide of change is coming and that is what you fear
    The earthquake is a coming, but you don't want to hear"
    - Iron Maiden, "Writing on the Wall"

  5. #55
    Heroic Warrior starbasetoys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Deep Space Toys
    Posts
    1,195
    Quote Originally Posted by JonnyTyler View Post
    O.k., if you're traveling 60 miles per hour down the high way, there is no way in hell that the smoke coming out of the car infront of you has a CHANCE of going into your car. Like i said earlier, unless you were tailgating somebody, and all, let's just say 4 passengers in that car are all smoking, There's not going to be enough smoke to penetrate your car. That's just absurd!

    Now, if you're sitting at a red light, I'll give you that you may get a faint wift in the air, but when you're driving along, with wind pushing against you, and there's alot of it, I can't see how you can smell that smoke.

    And FYI, I'm a chef by trade. I can smell, and taste VERY well. I've been smoking since i was 16, and I'm 27 now. And I can taste, and smell actually better now than I could when i was younger. It's my job, and my passion to make sure my food tastes and smells the bast it can. And I'm very good at what I do!!
    Do you understand the physics involved with the working of a ventalation system in a car? The fan draws in the air around the front of the car and blows it up through the vents into the cabin. If the air in front of the car is full of cigarette smoke, then it's gonna get drawn into the car.

    I really don't care whether you believe it happens or not. The fact is, that when a smoker is blowing their nastiness out of their window and im behind them in my car, I smell it and it really ****** me off!

  6. #56
    The Demon of Screamin' JonnyTyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Posts
    1,001
    Unlike you, I'm not trying to attack you personally.

    If you can smell it, fine. Maybe you're very sensitive to cigarette smoke. It just sounds like to me that you're exaggerating a bit. that's all I'm saying. And you seem to be attacking the smokers in this thread in very personal ways, and I think that's wrong. I'm not ripping to pieces, and makeing assumptions about you because you DON'T smoke.

    And yes, I understand how car ventalation systems work. I also know that once smoke hits the air, open air mind you, like on a highway, it pretty much goes away instantly. I've been on the road, following many cars where the driver, and their passenger are both smoking, and I've never even SEEN the smoke come out the windows. Let alone smell it. that is why I'm having a hard time believing it. From what I, PERONALLY have witnessed.
    Please Give My Vintage Want To Buy List A Look: https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...ge-Accessories
    Here's my Trader's Review too: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ght=Jonnytyler

  7. #57
    Heroic Warrior He-Ryno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,935
    Alrighty boyos.....

    I ride my bike DAILY...

    There are people beside me I am on the walk or shoulder and they are on the road....

    They are smoking a cigarette...

    I cannot smell it unless the wind is blowing DIRECTLY AT ME...

    This is a pety argument. I see Jonny as the winner in this cause he is mostly right.
    Positive Transactions-greyskull1, Kero, miasboytoy, MOTU_Maniac, Big Country, Beastmangler, biged98, EwR-Disaster, masterenglish, Radrcks, Son Of Keldor, myers04, tattoojunkie74, He-Cowboy, Judeh Simon, Dr Kain, BrandnChicagoHorde, JonnyTyler, Mern-Ra, wolvie3579, Toygiant, Grayskulls Fakor, Villa-man, Fisto69, Mdoclar, degra, Dawg88, Jii Dee & Many More Orgers...

  8. #58
    Chronically Groovy Mighty Puundragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    1,112
    I was never officially a cigy smoker, but I did smoke other things in college (you know like bacon and hams) My dad was a smoker that is why I have asthma. I only ever bummed smokes from people and occasionally bought some on a night out. I look back now and realize how stupid it was and don't miss it at all.

    I do miss drinking, but that's 6 1/2 years without that either.

  9. #59
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    235
    I am also a smoker. I have been at it since 2004 and have failed through a few attempts to quit. It seems that every time I have a week of not smoking under my belt, then some sort of drama pops up and I go running right back to them. It also doesn't help that the people I'm around the most are smokers. About 85% of my family smokes, and all of my friends do it too. It is extremely hard to quit when everyone around you is doing it. Eventually I'll muster up enough strength to finally kick this nasty little addiction of mine!

  10. #60
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    12,488
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky_raccoon View Post
    I am also a smoker. I have been at it since 2004 and have failed through a few attempts to quit. It seems that every time I have a week of not smoking under my belt, then some sort of drama pops up and I go running right back to them. It also doesn't help that the people I'm around the most are smokers. About 85% of my family smokes, and all of my friends do it too. It is extremely hard to quit when everyone around you is doing it. Eventually I'll muster up enough strength to finally kick this nasty little addiction of mine!
    Since you've said you tried to quit and -- I'll assume -- you want to quit, I'll share what worked for me. It may not work for all or any, but it worked for me. And it's a two-parter.

    First, you said that after you quit, as soon as there's drama you reach for a cigarette. It was the same for me after many, many years of smoking and trying to quite. What I finally tried was to quit at a point in my life that was extremely stressful. In my case it was a business problem I was going through and that I knew I would be going through for a month. So I decided to quit then. It may seem that that's extra tough to do, but there's a funny thing about tackling estra tough things: there's a certain pleasing perversity that is derived from forcing yourself to push your personal envelope. Once you've made that decision, it's a toss-up as to whther it's tougher to swtay on with it or give up and admit defeat. For me, failure is the greater of the two agonies. So I took a sort of solace from forcing myself into this uncomfortable situation.

    By the time the business problem was resolved and relative calm had returned to my life, I had stopped smoking for close to a month. Now, because things were calm, I had no need to reach for a cigarette and it rolled out longer the time I could be away from cigarettes.

    The second thing I did was much, much more important. Let's say you smoke a pack a day. The average smoker takes five to ten puffs off a cigarette. This means that you are physically performing an action between one hundred to two hundred times a day. (Forget all the stuff about what's in a cigarette being addicting and all that other stuff. I'm just talking about the physical action.)

    To do something a hundred to two hundred times a day requires a lot of time. Add in the time spent driving to the store, picking out and paying for cigarettes, cleaning ashtrays and everything else involved with smoking. That's a lot of time.

    All of a sudden -- BOOM! -- you quit smoking. What you've now got is a lot of time that you used to spend on smoking that is now just hanging out there. Most people who quit fill that time by moping around, reading a newspaper or worrying about not smoking.

    What I realized was that I needed to do something to fill all that physical time I used to spend smoking. I figured as long as I had to fill the physical time it might as well be with something that was healthy, so I got into juicing. Now I'm not by any means a health nut, but I started out by spending hours researching about juicing vegetables and fruit on the web and before I knew it I was getting in to it. (Google "Health benefits of carrot juice", "Health benefits of watermelon juice" and "Health benefits of celery juice" and you'll not only see what I mean but you'll get sucked into it, too. ) I learned a lot of stuff and I came to love a pretty amazing guy named Jack Lalanne. I ended up buying a juicer and I got into juicing. The time I used to spend smoking those twenty cigarettes a day and taking those 100 puffs and cleaning out those ashtrays, I now filled with going to the grocery store, picking out fruits and vegetables, putting them away in my fridge, taking them out, cleaning them, juicing them, drinking the juice and cleaning the juicer.

    It filled up all that time that I had on my hands because I wasn't smoking and it filled it up in a pretty good way. Now it's almost two decades later and I juice four or five times a day -- in morning before I go to work and evening after I finish. (Only one helping of fruit, 'cause fruit's got a lot of sugar in it.)

    But for you it can be anything to fill the new time you have -- exercise, reading, knitting, studying about dinosaurs, getting a pet and walking him in the park a couple of times a day, helping out at a retirement home, rock collecting, you name it. (But playing video games and watching TV don't count.) What you might find is that not only does it help you to quit, but in the process you find something new and good to add to your life.

    So that was my deal: 1) quit when you're stressed and 2) find something to fill all the time you used to spend on smoking. Like I said, it worked for me.

    And btw, I make it a point to never get on people's case about smoking. The last time I looked, smoking was legal. I may not like it and I may not like second hand smoke, but I've the freedom to go to bars, restaurants and places where there isn't smoking and I've the freedom to leave a place where it's offending me. What I don't think I have the freedom or right to do is give people who have made the choice to have a legal activity in their lives a hard time.

  11. #61
    Heroic Warrior triklops3eyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wandering the abyss, in search of an alliance of consequence.
    Posts
    691
    Depends on what you mean there Squid, My answer could be both yes and no.
    Find the things in life that bring you joy and hold onto them with every ounce of your being.

  12. #62
    Heroic Warrior frankorobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    88
    That is one of the things that is messed up with this country. Some drugs are illegal to use, however, it's ok to put nicotine in tobacco and get people addicted. Even though, it starts off as a bad habit, but eventually ends up being an addiction. I don't smoke myself, and I don't hate people that do. But I do hate people that smoke in my presence and have this attitude like"Yup! That's right! I'm gonna smoke where you can smell it and you can't do anything about it! So suffer!" That's just wrong! We all need air to live, we don't need cigarette smoke to live. If smokers would just respect non-smokers and not smoke in their presence, things would go alot easier.

  13. #63
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    12,488
    Quote Originally Posted by frankorobo View Post
    That is one of the things that is messed up with this country. Some drugs are illegal to use, however, it's ok to put nicotine in tobacco and get people addicted. Even though, it starts off as a bad habit, but eventually ends up being an addiction. I don't smoke myself, and I don't hate people that do. But I do hate people that smoke in my presence and have this attitude like"Yup! That's right! I'm gonna smoke where you can smell it and you can't do anything about it! So suffer!" That's just wrong! We all need air to live, we don't need cigarette smoke to live. If smokers would just respect non-smokers and not smoke in their presence, things would go alot easier.
    I agree with you. I do not believe in smoking and as a parent of three young children I discourage my young ones from smoking. your point is well made: if cigarettes had never been invented and someone tried to make them now there is no way it would happen. But it has happened, they do exist and they happen to be legal. Until they're not legal people have a right to smoke.

    That said, I also agree with you that there is a question of civility. However, in defense of smokers I will say that my personal experience -- and yours may be different -- is that many (not all) smokers are consicous of the fact that second hand smoke bothers some people. (How can they not be when they are bombarded by this all the time and people are waving menus to waft the smoke away?) I've found some smokers will ask if it would bother me if they light up and I appreciate that. But there is another factor to consider when determining whether or not most smokers are respectful of non-smokers: how many people who smoke simply do not light up when they're around non-smokers -- whether out of respect or because they just don't want to be hassled? Impossible to tell, but I'll bet there are a lot of them -- maybe even a silent majority.

    I know it's a highly charged issue because of health and other factors. But we live in a society that has chosen to protect the rights of those whose actions we may not agree with so long as those actions are legal. For me that's it. It's legal, so we have to live with it and I'm not sure it's right to make people who are doing a legal activity feel scorned -- you see, I feel civility is a two-way street.

    Walk away, find another bar or move to another stool and just suck it up for the night.

    Democracy, to quote Michael Douglas' Andy Shepherd in THE AMERICAN PRESIDENT, isn't easy. But imo it sure beats the alternative.

  14. #64
    Architeuthis dux Squid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,900
    Quote Originally Posted by triklops3eyes View Post
    Depends on what you mean there Squid, My answer could be both yes and no.
    Hehe, hashish and/or weed aren't exactly what I had in mind,
    but hey, it's still smoking!
    I just hope it's only 'a few a day' ... if that much!

    Quote Originally Posted by frankorobo View Post
    "Yup! That's right! I'm gonna smoke where you can smell it and you can't do anything about it! So suffer!"
    That attitude belongs to the pre-00s.

    Today one almost dosen't dare light up a smoke anywhere,
    because most ppl re-act like some ppl here; in shere hatred!
    We are today much, much more tuned in to our surroundings
    than ever before.
    We have simply become a very hated minority ...
    Armageddon will soon be here,
    the sinners will meet their fate.
    But I am calm and without fear,
    as I feed upon my hate.

  15. #65
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    12,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    Hehe, hashish and/or weed aren't exactly what I had in mind,
    but hey, it's still smoking!
    I just hope it's only 'a few a day' ... if that much!



    That attitude belongs to the pre-00s.

    Today one almost dosen't dare light up a smoke anywhere,
    because most ppl re-act like some ppl here; in shere hatred!
    We are today much, much more tuned in to our surroundings
    than ever before.
    We have simply become a very hated minority ...
    I would like to think that those who truly hate you as a minority are a minority themselves.

    Imo, there's far too much hate in the world.

  16. #66
    Heroic Warrior vadersfist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,784
    My personal thoughts are THESE but I am not saying whether I smoke or not cause its nobodys business anyway if I do or don't but I look at it both ways. look at these things as well cause non-smokers need to think about what they are saying when they pick on smokers. If a person doesn't like a smoker then that non-smoker needs to do these as well then if a non-smoker tells a smoker he needs to quit so then the non-smoker needs to do a few on my list as well too. If you don't like the list I have given then look up some of these things on the health dept etc, whatever that they say makes you healthy.

    1. Do NOT drink any soft drinks, water only and nothing else 24/7
    2. Never eat sweets cause it makes you fat
    3. Never use a cellphone, causes cancer they say from the radio waves
    4. Do not eat red meat, clogs your arterys in your body with other problems
    5. Excersive every day before and after work.
    6. Eat LOTS of raw and steemed vegatables,beans included.
    7. Eat lots of fish including sardines even if you hate it and sea food but no fryed food
    8. Do NOT eat ANY bread and no prepackaged lunch meat or cheap burritos from the store either.
    9. Do NOT drink any alcohol, none what so ever cause it raises your blood pressure.
    10 Do NOT fry any food cause of the smell and grease in the air or well eat fryed food cause it will clog your body up.

    The thing I am saying is THIS, if you don't like what someone else is doin, whether that be smoking or drinking whatever and just walk away. Plus you should really take a look at your self because no one is perfect cause I am sure their is a few here that smoke as well as someone here that eats sweets,drinks alcohol or whatever and really its ALL bad for you no matter what it is if its a smell or not that you don't like.
    By the Power of Grey Skull!

  17. #67
    Not my Tempo Fendi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    3,937
    Is it me or the non smoker bashing other smoker in the forums. It's easy, when they want to stop smoking then they will stop smoking, I don't really care who can smell the cigarettes or not, but all the non smoker around me just encourage not bashing other smoker to stop. For me, I don't really care people saying to me "You're smoking to hell buster" or "you gonna die early" type of words. Because I'm one of those guy who doesn't really care about people bashing me of smoker. I'm more like "Tak Makan Saman/Doesn't care doesn't matter" type of guy. There's two ways to handle this. It's either get the hell out from the room of majority smoker or I'll leave from the majority of non smoker. It's easy to avoid some crazy ass confrontation about smoker or non smoker person. You can't just punch a guy in public just because he's smoking in the street, that just mean discrimination like homophobia.

    Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

  18. #68
    Evil Warrior Soulfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Puundragon View Post
    My dad was a smoker that is why I have asthma.
    Like you, I have asthma/lung issues due to second hand smoke from my dad and others. I've never smoked a cigarette in my life. Yet due to others I have problems because of it. Whether it was from being around the guy I idolized, or from restaurants, bars, concerts, whatever. Up until smoking was banned in IL, non smokers got the worst of it.

    Smelling it now makes me sick. It's so refreshing to be able to go to a bar, or concert and not have to breathe smokers filth.

    Whether some people want to believe it or not, the actions of smokers affect other non smokers. Boohoo, sorry you have to go outside now to smoke

    So don't wonder too hard why people don't want your disgusting habit anywhere around them.

    And yes, you can smell cig smoke in cars from other cars, or on the side of the road, whatever. You honestly have no idea how bad it is until you are trying to do something physically demanding on a hot day and you have someone lighting up around where you are working. Then maybe you'd know how much it sucks to have to breathe it and then maybe you would notice it.

  19. #69
    Heroic Warrior frankorobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    I agree with you. I do not believe in smoking and as a parent of three young children I discourage my young ones from smoking. your point is well made: if cigarettes had never been invented and someone tried to make them now there is no way it would happen. But it has happened, they do exist and they happen to be legal. Until they're not legal people have a right to smoke.

    That said, I also agree with you that there is a question of civility. However, in defense of smokers I will say that my personal experience -- and yours may be different -- is that many (not all) smokers are consicous of the fact that second hand smoke bothers some people. (How can they not be when they are bombarded by this all the time and people are waving menus to waft the smoke away?) I've found some smokers will ask if it would bother me if they light up and I appreciate that. But there is another factor to consider when determining whether or not most smokers are respectful of non-smokers: how many people who smoke simply do not light up when they're around non-smokers -- whether out of respect or because they just don't want to be hassled? Impossible to tell, but I'll bet there are a lot of them -- maybe even a silent majority.

    I know it's a highly charged issue because of health and other factors. But we live in a society that has chosen to protect the rights of those whose actions we may not agree with so long as those actions are legal. For me that's it. It's legal, so we have to live with it and I'm not sure it's right to make people who are doing a legal activity feel scorned -- you see, I feel civility is a two-way street.

    Walk away, find another bar or move to another stool and just suck it up for the night.

    Democracy, to quote Michael Douglas' Andy Shepherd in THE AMERICAN PRESIDENT, isn't easy. But imo it sure beats the alternative.


    Just because it is legal, doesn't make it right. As for some smokers possibly not realizing it offends other people or that second hand smoking is harmful to others, I don't buy that. For one, there are too many commercials regarding smoking and the effects of smoking. Also, it states right on the side of the cartons and the individual packs what smoking does to people. So says the "Surgeon General". If smokers are unaware of the effects of cigarette smoke, all they have to do is fill up a jar with cotton balls to the top, the cotton represents your lungs, then take one long puff on that cigarette and blow it into the jar. Watch what happens to the cotton, and that's from one puff. Imagine what your lungs would look like after years of smoking. As for a non-smokers getting up and finding another stool to sit on, that person shouldn't have to, at least if they were there first. If I'm standing in line waiting to get movie tickets and some person gets in line behind me and has really bad hygiene, should I let him go ahead and wait a little longer so I don't have to smell him just because he stinks? No! I shouldn't have to. That person should have enough courtesy to shower before going out around other people. If he wants to stink in his own home, that's fine. Bottom line, I don't care what people do as long as it doesn't affect me or my family.

  20. #70
    Life is good Dice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    7,289
    I've been in bowling alleys where people around me were smoking. Now they weren't sitting right next to me by any means but I still left with a headache and the stink of cigarette smell in my clothes. My wife hates it because the smell will get into her hair. And all this is with us taking our kids out to bowl. I literally stared down an old couple who came and sat at the table directly behind our lane and lit up until they got the message and moved. I'm sure they just wanted to watch but I sure as heck didn't want all their smoke around me and my kids.

  21. #71
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,262
    I don't smoke, mainly because I have enough problems with my lungs thanks to second-hand smoke from my relatives when I was younger. The only person that I know that smokes is my friend's stepfather, who is nice enough to step outside/go to another room so the second-hand smoke doesn't bother me & my friend.
    "I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere. That's a promise...!" --Kurama

    "To me, the memories of my friends are an eternal treasure." --Yami Yugi

    "So, good people defend stupid people? Then good people become Batman."--Leo Holt

  22. #72
    Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The Whispering Woods
    Posts
    5,811
    For any smokers here who want to quit, I've heard in the last few years that it's a myth that smoking helps smokers relax. Just Google "smoking cause anxiety" to find some articles, expanding on things like:

    "Nicotine itself increases feelings of anxiety, but can trick the smoker into believing that smoking is relaxing."
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

  23. #73
    Heroic Warrior He-Ryno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post

    "Nicotine itself increases feelings of anxiety, but can trick the smoker into believing that smoking is relaxing."
    I can't believe people can be tricked by a cigarette
    Positive Transactions-greyskull1, Kero, miasboytoy, MOTU_Maniac, Big Country, Beastmangler, biged98, EwR-Disaster, masterenglish, Radrcks, Son Of Keldor, myers04, tattoojunkie74, He-Cowboy, Judeh Simon, Dr Kain, BrandnChicagoHorde, JonnyTyler, Mern-Ra, wolvie3579, Toygiant, Grayskulls Fakor, Villa-man, Fisto69, Mdoclar, degra, Dawg88, Jii Dee & Many More Orgers...

  24. #74
    Council Elder Darkspecter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    15,361
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Ryno View Post
    Alrighty boyos.....

    I ride my bike DAILY...

    There are people beside me I am on the walk or shoulder and they are on the road....

    They are smoking a cigarette...

    I cannot smell it unless the wind is blowing DIRECTLY AT ME...

    This is a pety argument. I see Jonny as the winner in this cause he is mostly right.
    I don't want to get in the middle of a "smelling cigarettes" war, but maybe you can't smell it because you peddle by quickly?

    Speaking from personal experience, I can smell it when my dad smokes ANYWHERE in the house. Luckily, after all these years he's become somewhat considerate of others in the house and will only smoke in the livingroom into the fireplace so the smoke goes up the chimney. When I'm in the computer room at the complete opposite side of the house, it still smells like he's smoking in my face. I don't get it and our house isn't exactly a wind-tunnel, but that's how it is. I just wish he'd smoke outside or quit.

    My mom used to smoke for many, many years but quit 18 years or so ago. She can't stand the smell of smokes either and it makes her sick. She still gets tempted by them though. She refuses to buy my dad smokes when he's out because she says she'll end up smoking again! Crazy after all that time.

    My brother's quit again though and I'm proud of him! I was very ashamed of him because he started smoking after our grandfather died a long and terrible death because of cigarettes and booze. I'm glad he's turning things around and trying to be healthy! My dad just needs personal motivation.

    I'm happy to say I've never smoked in my life.

    About smoker's rights, I would like to say the following:

    I don't smoke, I don't like smoke and can't STAND smoke, but smoker's DO have the right TO smoke. It's still currently legal, the government makes money off them and allows it, so the public has the right to smoke (if you're of age and in the right places).

    In Canada, where you can and cannot smoke is getting very defined. You can not smoke:

    - In any public building (stores, work, hospitals, college, restaurants and bars, etc.)
    - In a car with children
    ...and I'm not sure if this has been passed yet or is still in talks, but: public areas. This would mean places where lots of people gather. So, parks, sidewalks, etc.

    I'm kind of against the last one because that basically means people can only smoke in their house or backyard...unless they have company. If they want to make it that extreme, just make it illegal to smoke.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

    http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

    You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

    https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

  25. #75
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    12,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I don't want to get in the middle of a "smelling cigarettes" war, but maybe you can't smell it because you peddle by quickly?

    Speaking from personal experience, I can smell it when my dad smokes ANYWHERE in the house. Luckily, after all these years he's become somewhat considerate of others in the house and will only smoke in the livingroom into the fireplace so the smoke goes up the chimney. When I'm in the computer room at the complete opposite side of the house, it still smells like he's smoking in my face. I don't get it and our house isn't exactly a wind-tunnel, but that's how it is. I just wish he'd smoke outside or quit.

    My mom used to smoke for many, many years but quit 18 years or so ago. She can't stand the smell of smokes either and it makes her sick. She still gets tempted by them though. She refuses to buy my dad smokes when he's out because she says she'll end up smoking again! Crazy after all that time.

    My brother's quit again though and I'm proud of him! I was very ashamed of him because he started smoking after our grandfather died a long and terrible death because of cigarettes and booze. I'm glad he's turning things around and trying to be healthy! My dad just needs personal motivation.

    I'm happy to say I've never smoked in my life.

    About smoker's rights, I would like to say the following:

    I don't smoke, I don't like smoke and can't STAND smoke, but smoker's DO have the right TO smoke. It's still currently legal, the government makes money off them and allows it, so the public has the right to smoke (if you're of age and in the right places).

    In Canada, where you can and cannot smoke is getting very defined. You can not smoke:

    - In any public building (stores, work, hospitals, college, restaurants and bars, etc.)
    - In a car with children
    ...and I'm not sure if this has been passed yet or is still in talks, but: public areas. This would mean places where lots of people gather. So, parks, sidewalks, etc.

    I'm kind of against the last one because that basically means people can only smoke in their house or backyard...unless they have company. If they want to make it that extreme, just make it illegal to smoke.
    Is it really a law in Canada that one cannot smoke in a car with children? I'm not a smoker, but I do support other's right -- no matter how distasteful I personally find it -- to do something that's legal. On the other hand, I've always felt repulsed beyond words at seeing parents puffing away as they drive in a car with the windows rolled and two and three year-old kids in the back. (And I'll ewager there are plenty of smokers who are against that.) I understand that it's legal in the U.S., but when it comes to children it seems to me that a modicum of common sense is required. Drinking alcohol and gambling is legal too, but I think good parents realize it's probably not a good idea to do tequila shooters and play craps in front of toddlers.

    If that is Canada's law, then I salute you with your own national anthem: "Oh, Caaaaa-na-da..." Bravo.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •