2 1.23%
  • No ... never!

118 72.39%
  • I did, but I do not anymore!

19 11.66%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Smoke?!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    In Canada, where you can and cannot smoke is getting very defined. You can not smoke:

- In a car with children
    WOW, simply WOW!

I think it's disgusting beyond compare to smoke in a car with kids,
    but to make it illegal ... that's pushing it too far!
    Armageddon will soon be here,
    the sinners will meet their fate.
    But I am calm and without fear,
    as I feed upon my hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Is it really a law in Canada that one cannot smoke in a car with children? I'm not a smoker, but I do support other's right -- no matter how distasteful I personally find it -- to do something that's legal. On the other hand, I've always felt repulsed beyond words at seeing parents puffing away as they drive in a car with the windows rolled and two and three year-old kids in the back. (And I'll ewager there are plenty of smokers who are against that.) I understand that it's legal in the U.S., but when it comes to children it seems to me that a modicum of common sense is required. Drinking alcohol and gambling is legal too, but I think good parents realize it's probably not a good idea to do tequila shooters and play craps in front of toddlers.

If that is Canada's law, then I salute you with your own national anthem: "Oh, Caaaaa-na-da..." Bravo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    WOW, simply WOW!

Yes, it's illegal in Canada. I'm not sure if it's ALL of Canada, or just Ontario for now.

They took into account all the health effects from smoking and did studies of people smoking in cars. It was crazy how much worse that is. Anyway, the reason they made it illegal to smoke with children in cars is because they do not have a choice to be in the car or not. They are not old enough to drive on their own and have to go with their parents/care giver. If you're 16 or older you can choose to drive yourself, take a bus, ride a bike, not carpool with the smokers, etc.

Smoking parents can finish smoking before driving their kids, I guess.

EDIT: At least 3 Canadian Provinces have made it illegal since June 2008. Here's a link for those who want to read about it:

http://www.canada.com/topics/bodyand...2-9ecd3513509e
    Last edited by Darkspecter; January 27, 2010 at 12:03pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Master of New Adventures!
    Yes, it's illegal in Canada. I'm not sure if it's ALL of Canada, or just Ontario for now.

They took into account all the health effects from smoking and did studies of people smoking in cars. It was crazy how much worse that is. Anyway, the reason they made it illegal to smoke with children in cars is because they do not have a choice to be in the car or not. They are not old enough to drive on their own and have to go with their parents/care giver. If you're 16 or older you can choose to drive yourself, take a bus, ride a bike, not carpool with the smokers, etc.

Smoking parents can finish smoking before driving their kids, I guess.

EDIT: At least 3 Canadian Provinces have made it illegal since June 2008. Here's a link for those who want to read about it:

http://www.canada.com/topics/bodyand...2-9ecd3513509e
    I really respect your viewpoint, Squid, but it opens this up for a discussion about the effects of second hand soke and the definition of child abuse. (And I can hear the arguments already. ) The question is, "Does second hand cigarette smoke -- inhaling it in a confined space over and over -- have a negative health effect on children?" If it does -- and I'm sure there have been lots of studioes -- then the next question is: "Does consciously putting a child in a position where one is damaging their health constitute child abuse and, if so, is it illegal?"

Don't kill the messenger here, guys (and gals). I'm simply proposing the questions for the sake of civil debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    I really respect your viewpoint, Squid, but it opens this up for a discussion about the effects of second hand soke and the definition of child abuse. (And I can hear the arguments already. ) The question is, "Does second hand cigarette smoke -- inhaling it in a confined space over and over -- have a negative health effect on children?" If it does -- and I'm sure there have been lots of studioes -- then the next question is: "Does consciously putting a child in a position where one is damaging their health constitute child abuse and, if so, is it illegal?"

Don't kill the messenger here, guys (and gals). I'm simply proposing the questions for the sake of civil debate.
    I can tell you all from experience that secondhand smoke does have a damaging effect on children's health. Both of my parents smoked all through my childhood so I was exposed to it on a daily basis for years on end. To this day, I have bronchial troubles and have had numorous doctors confirm that it was the secondhand smoke that was the primary cause of it.

It's one the reasons that I have such strong feelings about this whole smoking issue. Even when I was in my bedroom every time they lit up I was breathing it because it traveled through the ventaltion system in the house. I hated going to school and having my clothes and hair stink of cigarette smoke all the time. When I was a teenager I was always embarrassed to go on dates because I knew that whenever I got close to the girl I was with that she could smell it.

Once I moved out on my own, I made it a rule that smokers don't ever come into my house....PERIOD! I love my parents but their smoking is/was absolutely intolerable to me. My idiot brother now smokes too, as do both of my step-brothers. My step mom is the only one of my "parents" that doesn't smoke and never has just like me. I think she and I are the only intelligent ones in my immediate family.

I also won't expose my children to smokers at all. They deserve better than to have to breath that nastiness.

And I've noticed that I'm not the only one in this thread that has spoken up about smelling smoke coming from smokers in a car in front of me on the highway. To anyone that say's "that's not possible", you just can't smell very good then. Now if my vent's weren't blowing, then I very well might not be able to smell it. But they always are because I'm a hot natured person and one of the main components of a ventalation system is the vaccum. The vaccum sucks up the air in front of the car and blows it into the cabin of the car. When that air is filled with second-hand smoke, then that's what's gonna be sucked up and blown. Whether you understand that concept, and/or accept the physics involved in it...it DOES HAPPEN! If a person doesn't believe in gravity, it doesn't mean that if they jump of a skyscraper that they aren't going to be street pizza. I don't care whether you believe it or not. I ask this though....why in the world would I bring it up if it didn't happen? And again I'll remind you that I'm not the only one that has mentioned and complained about this.

I'm a pretty easy going guy, but smelling cigarette smoke is one of those things that flips a switch inside me and gets my blood boiling!

I applaud Canada for looking out for kids who have no choice but to be confined to what in essence is a controlled bush fire.
    Live in the Connecticut/SW Massachusetts area? Need a tutor for you or your kids? PM me!

The name is Bond.... James Bond.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Manis007 View Post
    I applaud Canada for looking out for kids who have no choice but to be confined to what in essence is a controlled bush fire.
    As do I. I am normally a big believer in people's individual freedoms, but when those freedoms infringe upon someone else's LIFE, LIBERTY, AND PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS, then all bets are off as far as I'm concerned.

And whether smokers want to admit it or not, their secondhand smoke is an attack on all three of those categories.

Master of New Adventures!
    Quote Originally Posted by starbasetoys View Post
    As do I. I am normally a big believer in people's individual freedoms, but when those freedoms infringe upon someone else's LIFE, LIBERTY, AND PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS, then all bets are off as far as I'm concerned.

And whether smokers want to admit it or not, their secondhand smoke is an attack on all three of those categories.
    I agree with you, starbasetoys. Imo, the measure of a society (or a country) is its desire and ability to protect its most vulnerable citizens. I believe Canada's actions is an example of doing this and that is it -- whether or not you are a smoker -- highly laudable.

WOW, simply WOW!

How is that pushing it too far? This is where I come at odds with smokers.

Are you telling me that your addiction is so bad that the idea of not being able to light up with your kids in the car offends you? That just tells me that cigarettes own you or you're only concerned with your own self pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Are you telling me that your addiction is so bad that the idea of not being able to light up with your kids in the car offends you? That just tells me that cigarettes own you or you're only concerned with your own self pleasure.
    Hell yeah I do!
    It's my car, it's my kids,
    then I should be able to
    smoke if I want too..!

I wouldn't smoke in a car
    with kids in it, but nobody
    shall tell me that I cannot!
    as I feed upon my hate.

Well that sir, puts a *ding* on the quality of your character.

Well that sir, puts a *ding* on the quality of your character.
    No, it dosn't! I've said for three times now; I WOULD NOT DO IT!
    But like a diplomatic car, my (non-excisting) car is a piece of my
    territory where I am king, and therefor, I should be able to do
    whatever I like while I'm driving it.
    as I feed upon my hate.

Hell yeah I do!
    then I should be able to
    smoke if I want too..!

It's true that it's your car and that you should be king, but if you have kids and they don't like the smoke, do you still light up?

Hell yeah I do!
    then I should be able to
    smoke if I want too..!

Hell, in that case, no one should be able to tell me I can't own live artillery pieces and put them in my yard. Or drive an armed tank to the store. Or stockpile crack to sell to people. You know, cause nobody shall me me that I cannot

No, it dosn't! I've said for three times now; I WOULD NOT DO IT!
    But like a diplomatic car, my (non-excisting) car is a piece of my
    territory where I am king, and therefor, I should be able to do
    whatever I like while I'm driving it.
    Until you put your kids inside it. At that point it becomes a democracy and those children become your number one responsibility. Your king status is gone and now you may not smoke due to the possible danger you'd be putting them in. It may not be a law everywhere but it should be.

To smoke in the car or even in the house with your children shows you're concerned with your own pleasure more than their welfare. Not a whole lot different than any other drug user endangering their child while they get high.

Until you put your kids inside it. At that point it becomes a democracy and those children become your number one responsibility. Your king status is gone and now you may not smoke due to the possible danger you'd be putting them in. It may not be a law everywhere but it should be.

To smoke in the car or even in the house with your children shows you're concerned with your own pleasure more than their welfare. Not a whole lot different than any other drug user endangering their child while they get high.
    I hear you, dude, but that is exactly my fear,
    if the government first ban the possibillity to
    smoke in ones can, when will they ban it in
    ones house?!
    ... there aren't that much difference!

My territory, my domain, my laws..!

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    Hell, in that case, no one should be able to tell me I can't own live artillery pieces and put them in my yard. Or drive an armed tank to the store. Or stockpile crack to sell to people. You know, cause nobody shall me me that I cannot
    Stop it you!

Quote Originally Posted by frankorobo View Post
    It's true that it's your car and that you should be king, but if you have kids and they don't like the smoke, do you still light up?
    NO! I do not ... but it is still my choise, if I wanted too!
    It should be, and is already, morally and politically incorrect,
    but it shouldn't be illegal!
    Last edited by Squid; January 28, 2010 at 02:45pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    as I feed upon my hate.

So it's a smoker's right to give their kids problems breathing?

You're going to tell me that when lungs are at their most vulnerable and still developing, smokers have the right to destroy them if they so choose?

Kinda messed up view, there, Squid.
    Live in the Connecticut/SW Massachusetts area? Need a tutor for you or your kids? PM me!

Squid- I understand your balking at the government telling you where you can and where you can't, but in this type of situation I don't mind when the government steps in to protect children from irresponsible people (i'm not pointing at you).

You wouldn't smoke with kids in the car but there are plenty of idiots that do. So in this case I wouldn't mind a little government intervention. I'd even be for no smoking in the same home that houses children. It's just not safe for them.

But I can see where something like that would lead to other things. Next thing you know the government might have to step in to make sure people are feeding their kids responsibly to counter obesity. Where is the line drawn?

My territory, my domain, my laws..!
    I guess that's why there are so many grow ops and meth labs in people's basements.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Wow, I just saw this! I usually don't check out the polls section.

Now let me preface this by saying I didn't read the whole 4 pages of thread so far.

I am a smoker. Been smoking for about 13 years. How much fluctuates, but it's usually around 10 cigarettes a day. I don't drink, don't use drugs. I like to go out with my friends on the weekends to the occasional bar and enjoy a night out.

I live in Illinois where smoking indoors is now virtually illegal everywhere, there are exceptions. BUT, the one thing me and my friends can do indoors is smoke e-cigs(electronic cigarettes). These little things are GREAT for smokers who don't wanna freeze their asses off or just don't wanna get up from what their doing. If you haven't seen or heard about them, I highly recommend you do a search for them. They come in all kinds of different styles, the ones me and my friends use look just like a Marlboro.

They basically consist of an atomizer, a battery, and a cartridge you put liquid nicotine in. You inhale, get your nic fix and exhale nothing but a lil cloud of water vapor. No smell, no second hand smoke, no reason for anyone to *****!

I have gotten more than my fair share of nosy people complaining to me or to the bartender to have me stop smoking indoors because it's illegal now and I can't do it. I am generally less than cordial and tell them to mind their own business because I'm not breaking any laws. I usually than put the "lit" end of the E-cig on my arm and tell them it's not real, they can't smell anything, their clothes/hair won't smell when they leave, and if they are having problems breathing because of it they should go to a psychiatrist because it's all in their head.

Oh, for the record I am happily married and have 3 children and 2 cats.
    I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick some @$$, and I'm all out of bubble gum.

http://muddyworks.deviantart.com/

The Abominable Dr. Phibes Vincent Price's Avatar
    I've smoked since 1997, and I wish the government would just outlaw the things already, and quit putting those obnoxious Truth.com commercials on TV.
    Old people used to annoy me at weddings by pinching my cheeks &
    saying that you are the next.
    They stopped doing that when I started doing the same to them at funerals.

I didn't get to read everyones responses so there might be others... but I'm actually allergic to smoke. Cigarette smoke is the worst but I used to not even be able to get too close to a fire. I was one of those kids that were allergic to a bunch of crap... my dad was a smoker but quit the day they found out... he started chewing tobacco which isn't any better for him but that was his way of 'quitting'.

I've gotten a lot better over the years, but it still bothers me quite a bit, especially initially... like in a bar, diner or bowling alley (yes there are still places that allows it in certain states here in the US!). I don't care what you do tho.... I've always had that feeling... do it. Don't get poed if I ask you not to do it around me though. I really hate when you politely ask someone not to do it and they moan, complain and gripe as they are putting it out (rather than moving to another location) and then blows smoke in your face. I think I just decided next time that happens I'm going to punch that person directly in the mouth... because yes, it has happened.
    Auto-reply: out of the office until further notice, please shoot me an e-mail below or wait for a long time to hear back... happy MOTUCing

E-mail me:
    [email protected]

Thanks Guys! (my Positives in TR):
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...threadid=62577

Don't blame you, Boggs.

If it weren't illegal, I'd do the same.

I can repeat myself from now on and untill x-mas,
    but it is my written human right to do as I please
    within my own 'territory'. It's a matter of principal!
    Then I recon, you guys will say, that children have
    human rights aswell ... yeah, I guess so!
    But if they are living under my roof - it's my roles,
    the government has no business there ... sorry!

Again; I WOULDN'T SMOKE IN A CAR WITH KIDS!

I guess that's why there are so many grow ops and meth labs in people's basements.

Last edited by Squid; January 28, 2010 at 06:09pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    as I feed upon my hate.

I can repeat myself from now on and untill x-mas,
    but it is my written human right to do as I please
    within my own 'territory'. It's a matter of principal!
    Then I recon, you guys will say, that children have
    human rights aswell ... yeah, I guess so!
    But if they are living under my roof - it's my roles,
    the government has no business there ... sorry!

Again; I WOULDN'T SMOKE IN A CAR WITH KIDS!

I get what you're saying but it's flawed. By your "rules", you should be able to beat your children if you want. It's not that cut and dry. We must protect the people who can't protect themselves.

Squid, we agree. You wouldn't do it yourself. Got it.

But that doesn't stop the fact it's putting other people's lives at risk when they have no ability to escape the situation.