113 71.52%
  • I did, but I do not anymore!

19 12.03%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Do You Smoke?!

I know my arguments are thin, and I think I'll stop
    after this post, but, then it should also be illegal
    to place schools and kindergardens near any roads
    ... and we all know that will not happen!

Smoking in a car with kids should not be illegal,
    just so politically incorrect that no one will do it!

And I'm not saying that it is OK to beat up ones kids,
    it's quite illegal here, and has been so for ages.
    But that is a completely different disgussion alltogether..!
    Armageddon will soon be here,
    the sinners will meet their fate.
    But I am calm and without fear,
    as I feed upon my hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    I hear you, dude, but that is exactly my fear,
    if the government first ban the possibillity to
    smoke in ones can, when will they ban it in
    ones house?!
    ... there aren't that much difference!

My territory, my domain, my laws..!

Stop it you!

NO! I do not ... but it is still my choise, if I wanted too!
    It should be, and is already, morally and politically incorrect,
    but it shouldn't be illegal!
    It's good that you wouldn't light up if you had kids in the car, but are you saying a parent has the right to force nasty, gagging smoke upon their children just because that child is theirs?

Master of New Adventures!
    Look, it seems to me that Squid's realized he's backed himself into a corner here in using the right to smoke in a car with kids in it as a support for the importance of one's individual freedom (and individual freedoms really are important). It's true that morally it's an impossible position to defend, but he's repeatedly posted that he would never light up in a car filled with kids and has pointed out that he has so posted and yet we appear to be continuing to come at him.

I think Squid's simply walked into a minefield by using this example to support a position important to himself and one, I might add, that's important to most of us -- i.e., the rights of an individual. Questionably chosen argument for it, but an important essence of freedom and democracy all the same.

I think most of us, from time to time, get ourselves into a discussion that we wish we could extricate ourselves from. I know I've done it numerous times, as a result of my well intended passion, and it's caused me a great deal of grief.

On balance, I think we all know Squid's a good guy and -- again from his repeated posts -- that he wouldn't think of lighting up in a car with kids but was just using that right to make a point.

With that said, acknowledged and agreed to, I respectfully suggest to all that we drop it, back off of him and move on to another subject relating to smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Look, it seems to me that Squid's realized he's backed himself into a corner here in using the right to smoke in a car with kids in it as a support for the importance of one's individual freedom (and individual freedoms really are important). It's true that morally it's an impossible position to defend, but he's repeatedly posted that he would never light up in a car filled with kids and has pointed out that he has so posted and yet we appear to be continuing to come at him.

I think Squid's simply walked into a minefield by using this example to support a position important to himself and one, I might add, that's important to most of us -- i.e., the rights of an individual. Questionably chosen argument for it, but an important essence of freedom and democracy all the same.

I think most of us, from time to time, get ourselves into a discussion that we wish we could extricate ourselves from. I know I've done it numerous times, as a result of my well intended passion, and it's caused me a great deal of grief.

On balance, I think we all know Squid's a good guy and -- again from his repeated posts -- that he wouldn't think of lighting up in a car with kids but was just using that right to make a point.

With that said, acknowledged and agreed to, I respectfully suggest to all that we drop it, back off of him and move on to another subject relating to smoking.
    My hero!

Finally a native American who can explain my point of view
    a hell of a lot better than I can. Thank you!
    as I feed upon my hate.

If humanity wasn't so braindead as to continue keeping smoking an ongoing concern, I'd be more for letting people have individual liberty.

I don't know, I don't think we're very evolved.
    Live in the Connecticut/SW Massachusetts area? Need a tutor for you or your kids? PM me!

The name is Bond.... James Bond.

I just went and puffed a stogie 5 times. Helps...
    Positive Transactions-greyskull1, Kero, miasboytoy, MOTU_Maniac, Big Country, Beastmangler, biged98, EwR-Disaster, masterenglish, Radrcks, Son Of Keldor, myers04, tattoojunkie74, He-Cowboy, Judeh Simon, Dr Kain, BrandnChicagoHorde, JonnyTyler, Mern-Ra, wolvie3579, Toygiant, Grayskulls Fakor, Villa-man, Fisto69, Mdoclar, degra, Dawg88, Jii Dee & Many More Orgers...

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I think we all know Squid's a good guy.
    I heartily agree. Squiddy is most definitely a good guy.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I'm not trying to make it look like I'm personally attacking "Squid", I don't personally dislike him or anybody else for their views. I'm just trying to see if someone can explain their different views in a way that I can truly understand and accept. A person can disagree with someone without hating them. Again, I just believe myself if your in a car or house or whatever by yourself, then smoke, drink or do whatever to your hearts content. But I feel that if your in a situation where your doing something like smoking, and there are others around, like children, who don't really have any authority over adults, then it is up to the individual who is smoking to do what they feel is right. If they feel it's right to put out that cigarette while children or other people are around that don't smoke, then that's great. If they continue to smoke while children or other people are around and they know they don't like it, then that tells me they have no respect for others. It's all about them as far as I'm concerned. There are all kinds of bad habits, drinking, smoking, chewing tobacco and more. However, drinking and chewing tobacco doesn't physically affect nearby people, smoking does. Again, I don't hate anyone on this thread and neither should anyone else. It's just a thread full of peoples different views. No more, no less.

Last edited by frankorobo; January 28, 2010 at 11:51pm.

Quote Originally Posted by frankorobo View Post
    I'm not trying to make it look like I'm personally attacking "Squid", I don't personally dislike him or anybody else for their views. I'm just trying to see if someone can explain their different views in a way that I can truly understand and accept. A person can disagree with someone without hating them. Again, I just believe myself if your in a car or house or whatever by yourself, then smoke, drink or do whatever to your hearts content. But I feel that if your in a situation where your doing something like smoking, and there are others around, like children, who don't really have any authority over adults, then it is up to the individual who is smoking to do what they feel is right. If they feel it's right to put out that cigarette while children or other people are around that don't smoke, then that's great. If they continue to smoke while children or other people are around and they know they don't like it, then that tells me they have no respect for others. It's all about them as far as I'm concerned. There are all kinds of bad habits, drinking, smoking, chewing tobacco and more. However, drinking and chewing tobacco doesn't physically affect nearby people, smoking does. Again, I don't hate anyone on this thread and neither should anyone else. It's just a thread full of peoples different views. No more, no less.

If you'll look baxck over the thread you'll see some posters have gotten pretty vitrioloic about this and some of the language has been very tough -- to the point that The Shadow had to make a comment.

As I've said in many other posts in other threads, I completely support people's right to disagree and I encourage their expressing their disagreement. All I'm saying is that I think it should be done in a civil manner.

I do agree -- of course as a parent of three children -- that no one should ever light up in a car with kids in it, and I know Squid feels that way as well. He just seems to have walked into a blind alley in making a perhaps ill-advised example of his right to do what he wants in his own car as an expression of personal freedom.

My point was simply that everyone pretty much made their points about this and imo it was time to move on. And, again, that's just my opinion. But I will tell you that I've been on the side where folks keep coming and coming at you and regardless of whether it's civil or not at some point it gets to be a bit much.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    I heartily agree. Squiddy is most definitely a good guy.
    You couldn't help yourself, huh?!

I am mean, and vile, and apparently very politically incorrect!
    as I feed upon my hate.

My post wasn't aimed at you, frankorobo and if you took it that way I regret it as it was not my intention.

If you'll look baxck over the thread you'll see some posters have gotten pretty vitrioloic about this and some of the language has been very tough -- to the point that The Shadow had to make a comment.

As I've said in many other posts in other threads, I completely support people's right to disagree and I encourage their expressing their disagreement. All I'm saying is that I think it should be done in a civil manner.

I do agree -- of course as a parent of three children -- that no one should ever light up in a car with kids in it, and I know Squid feels that way as well. He just seems to have walked into a blind alley in making a perhaps ill-advised example of his right to do what he wants in his own car as an expression of personal freedom.

My point was simply that everyone pretty much made their points about this and imo it was time to move on. And, again, that's just my opinion. But I will tell you that I've been on the side where folks keep coming and coming at you and regardless of whether it's civil or not at some point it gets to be a bit much.
    I know your comment wasn't intentionally directed at me, and there were some pretty hateful things said towards "Squid" by some people. I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't one of those people that had a personal problem with him or anyone is all. As I said before, this is just a thread with different peoples points of view.

Quote Originally Posted by frankorobo View Post
    ... there were some pretty hateful things said towards "Squid" by some people.
    Well, one can't be a star all the time,
    it was bound to happen someday.
    I am a controversial being by heart..!

I only took offend by one single .orger,
    and I'm pretty sure he know who he is!
    as I feed upon my hate.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Well, I am a jerk.

Sounds like somebody is trying hard to be like me. It's cool, though. I'm used to being idolized...
    Last edited by Benedict Judas Hel; January 29, 2010 at 11:31am.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Ya know, I almost answered this poll with "Only when I am set on fire".

Didn't really lighten the mood, did it?
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"I saw the Devil today, and he looked a lot like me. I turned away."
    -Five Finger Death Punch, "Wrong Side of Heaven"

I don't smoke never have and I never will. I don't have any hate toward people who do though.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

eBay Feedback

" Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

I'm 36 and have never smoked.

I was raised by smokers and most of my friends smoked in high school.
    Now I have gotten high more then a handful of times but I've never bought pot.

Now it's my opinion that there should be no smoking where food is being served and it should be a law to smoke around kids even in your own car or your home.

You'd think by 2010 (an interesting movie about the future, by the way), there wouldn't even need to be considered a law which would go towards preventing harm towards children.

I have no problem if people want to increase their chances of an early death. But asserting such a right over the health and welfare of minors (who don't have much of any rights legally) is such psychotic obsessive stupidity I can't believe it's not considered illegal already.
    Live in the Connecticut/SW Massachusetts area? Need a tutor for you or your kids? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by He-Manis007 View Post
    You'd think by 2010 (an interesting movie about the future, by the way), there wouldn't even need to be considered a law which would go towards preventing harm towards children.

I have no problem if people want to increase their chances of an early death. But asserting such a right over the health and welfare of minors (who don't have much of any rights legally) is such psychotic obsessive stupidity I can't believe it's not considered illegal already.
    I agree with you completely. But as someone who has worked with and for children for three decades, and with many organizations that try to protect them, I can tell you that the harm -- the physical harm -- that is done to children on a daily basis around the world is heartbreaking...and that this writer's heart has been broken repeatedly over having seen proof of it.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    There's no option for me. I've never smoked a cigarette or tobacco cigar in my life, but I smoke all the time.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    I tried it once. I was done after that.
    Between the world we see and the things we fear. There are doors; when they are opened; nightmares become reality.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky_raccoon View Post
    I am also a smoker. I have been at it since 2004 and have failed through a few attempts to quit. It seems that every time I have a week of not smoking under my belt, then some sort of drama pops up and I go running right back to them. It also doesn't help that the people I'm around the most are smokers. About 85% of my family smokes, and all of my friends do it too. It is extremely hard to quit when everyone around you is doing it. Eventually I'll muster up enough strength to finally kick this nasty little addiction of mine!
    I'm not going to sit here and preach about rights and freedoms of non-smokers right to clean air all that sensationalistic stuff. Bottom line is, smoking is a complete joke.

Cigarette companies make millions and millions of dollars on feeding you a product that provides NO benefits to you, quite the opposite in fact. It stains your hands, makes you stink, decreases lung capacity and causes cancer. The only relief smoking a cigarette provides is satisfying a craving for the nicotine you are now addicted to, thanks to the ******** product you choose to buy. You wouldn't put your mouth over a car exhaust and suck on it, why would you put a mini version of one in your mouth?

My mother smoked for nearly 2 decades, and then she quit. She has never been happier. Anyone who really wants to quit can/will quit. If you don't believe the statistics, if you don't believe that you stink (and trust me, you do, unless you are crazy meticulous about showering, washing your close, and freshening your breath every time you smoke, you stink), then believe me when I say that someone else is getting rich off you.

And if your friends and family all smoke, then maybe you should make changes to your interactions with them, to ween yourself off smoking. I have few smoking friends, and none of them smoke inside my place, or their own for that matter.

I really hope you (and every other smoker) quit. You're only doing yourself a huge favor.
    Last edited by Sky Breaker; February 1, 2010 at 12:12am.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Breaker View Post
    I'm not going to sit here and preach about rights and freedoms of non-smokers right to clean air all that sensationalistic stuff. Bottom line is, smoking is a complete joke.

Cigarette companies make millions and millions of dollars on feeding you a product that provides NO benefits to you, quite the opposite in fact. It stains your hands, makes you stink, decreases lung capacity and causes cancer. The only relief smoking a cigarette provides is satisfying a craving for the nicotine you are now addicted to, thanks to the ******** product you choose to buy. You wouldn't put your mouth over a car exhaust and suck on it, why would you put a mini version of one in your mouth?

My mother smoked for nearly 2 decades, and then she quit. She has never been happier. Anyone who really wants to quit can/will quit. If you don't believe the statistics, if you don't believe that you stink (and trust me, you do, unless you are crazy meticulous about showering, washing your close, and freshening your breath every time you smoke, you stink), then believe me when I say that someone else is getting rich off you.

And if your friends and family all smoke, then maybe you should make changes to your interactions with them, to ween yourself off smoking. I have few smoking friends, and none of them smoke inside my place, or their own for that matter.

I really hope you (and every other smoker) quit. You're only doing yourself a huge favor.
    Bravo! I agree 100%. The addiction has to start off as a habit first. Which makes me wonder how a person would want to start. I can't believe a cigarette would taste and smell the same to person the first time as it would to a person who's been smoking for years. I mean I don't know anyone personally who started smoking for the first time, they either don't smoke or they do. But it's hard to fathom someone saying "Mmmmm...that smoke smells and tastes yummy, I think I'll try it"! I know everyone has different tastes, but this is smoke we're talking about, not food or drinks. Like you said, why would you want to put your mouth around a tailpipe of a car, let alone a mini one. What's really sad is that it doesn't just stop there. Look at all the C**P that is put into our food! Hormones, preservatives and all the other chemicals I can't remember right now. If you look at the amount of heart attacks, strokes and cancer problems we've seen in the past few decades and compare those statistics to the prior years, you'll see people are dying more these days from these problems then ever before. Of all the species on the planet, why do humans end up with the most diseases? Hmmm..I wonder why?

Because we live longer than the other species would be my guess.

The First Avenger
    Yea he is a good guy.......

I used to smoke years ago but had to give it up for health reasons unless you actually have smoked then you don't know anything about the subject...

Never smoked, never will.